Sorabji-fest update

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Sorabji-fest update
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 09:56 am:

so, what's happening with this? I have tickets in hand, so I am going. However, I have not made any lodging arrangements yet. I would sincerely like to crash/share space with someone (more accurately, my credit card debt would like that).

So, what's going on? Who's still going and who's a pussy?

By J on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 10:44 am:

Did I mention when I got back from vacation that I wasn't afraid to fly anymore,that I even took pictures from the plane? Well that was Sept.4th after the 11th I'm a pussy again.But the funny thing is Czarina and I were chatting on msn on Mon. the 10th,and I had to get off and go with s/o to pick up his car wich had broke down,and when it was fixed I had to drive by myself home,and I didn't have a panic attack,I was just fine.So maybe I can drive,but Czarina,it's about time we start working on a plan,if you catch my drift.

By Pamela on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 12:19 pm:

When is this get together going to be? Give me some details!!!

By patrick on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 12:58 pm:

is it just me, or does there seem to be an "epidemic" of women and "panic" attacks? I say panic in quotes as not to belittle the matter, but rather is that really what it is? or is there something underlying?

By J on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 02:06 pm:

Not in my case,I really have them,I think it's genetic,my doctor wouldn't give me xanax wich is very addictive if she thought it was something underlying.If you have never had one,you can't even imagine the overwhelming fear,that reduces me to a shaking mess.

By patrick on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 02:14 pm:

no no, im not denying you HAVE them, Im just wondering if there is something else. Is it societal? What the hell is going on these days?

My wife gets them too. My wife is convinced she is going to die of a heart attack, and is convinced im part of the reason she will, at least when I fuck up. Its really painful to hear someone tell you they think you are partly to blame for their condition.

By J on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 02:36 pm:

I never blame anyone,I know it's my problem and I wouldn't even have a clue to blame anyone except me.

By patrick on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 02:45 pm:

but but but what i mean is....so many women I know, here and elsewhere suffer from this condition. Im wondering if there is something else at work. Did women 50 years ago suffer from this? Why does it SEEM to predominantly affect women?

By J on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 02:53 pm:

I think men probably have them as much as women,maybe cause they are men,they don't talk about it.

By semillama on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 02:57 pm:

Fuck off!

Give me Sorabji-fest details!!!

WHO'S A PUSSY AND WHO IS NOT.

Flying is safer now than before. At least from the threat of hijacking. ALl sorts of other shit could go wrong, but what the hell, you know?

So, I think that Nate is not going from a brief scan of the boards while in SC, but who else? Sarah? Antigone? J? Czarina, et al?

By The Watcher on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 03:02 pm:

Men do have panic attacks. We just don't think of them that way. Or react to them in the same manner either.

Try Biofeedback. It can reeducate your body to the way it should handle stress.

Then get rid of those pills. One less pill is one less possible drug interaction.

By Antigone on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 03:28 pm:

By Antigone on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 03:33 pm:

Oh, yeah, nad I used to have panic attacks too, of a sort. They've stopped happening now that I'm in better physical shape. That may not have been the cause, merely a correlate, but the two are definately related...

That, and I just got off a plane two hours ago and the ride was just peachy. I haven't been that relaxed on a plane ride for decades.

By semillama on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 03:41 pm:

Good lord! That place is it!!! Should we try and organize a block of rooms or something? Czarina, you know about this?

By TBone on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 03:47 pm:

Wow. Hell of a place...

I can't say if I'm going or not. I have the time off
    from work, but I need to figure out if I can afford
    it (no, but I'd consider debt) and if I can take
    the time off from school...

Pez, you still on for road-tripping?

By patrick on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 03:48 pm:

we're too strapped to go. we are also trying to arrange to get back to Atlanta and NC for the holidays. Its been two years and we are sooo due to go back. I only have X amount of vacation time anyway.

By TBone on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 03:49 pm:

I know a guy who had panic attacks.

He overloaded himself in an extreme way all
    the time. Stressed himself nearly to death,
    and he'd suffer some pretty extreme panic
    attacks.

By Spider on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 03:50 pm:

Men have panic attacks, too, but they're often misdiagnosed as heart attacks or ignored.

Patrick, search for "panic attacks" "etiology" and "prevalence" in a search engine and you'll find some answers to your questions. Here's one link to start you.

I'm so happy for you, J!

By sarah on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 03:54 pm:

i am going. let's cram a bunch of people in each room. antigone, that place looks expensive. is it?

By Antigone on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 03:59 pm:

I haven't talked with Czarina about that place, no. My plans have sorta changed recently. But, if Czarina hasn't found another place, we could all stay at the Maginnis. It has the definate advantage of having rooms still available that weekend. :) (I'm sending an e-mail to Czarina now...)

By Pamela on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 04:22 pm:

The rates in the Maginnis Mansion and the Henry Howard Inn in the off-season range from $29 to $49 per night per room with 2 person occupancy, in-season the rates range from $49 to $69 per night per room based on double occupancy. Please phone, fax, or e-mail us to check rates and availability for your visit.
    Rates for Mardi Gras and Jazzfest are $125 per night for two person occupancy.

By Pamela on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 04:23 pm:

out in some places in CA, Motel 6 is $69/night. That's not bad I think. It looks like a real nice place.

By patrick on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 05:18 pm:

you can't gauge california prices to anywhere else, except maybe Boston, San Fran and NYC.

NYC, being the worst. $175/night is a good deal in NYC.

By semillama on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 05:45 pm:

So far as I know, the list of brave sorabji adventurers includes myself, Antigone, Sarah, Heather, and Czarina. Maybes include J, Tbone, ?

so? Stand up and be counted! Perform the Salute!

By heather on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 06:00 pm:

wasn't jim coming?

By heather on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 06:10 pm:

and kalliope?

By Nate on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 06:25 pm:

san francisco is in california, patrick. you dumbass.

By patrick on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 06:26 pm:

really?

shit.

By Pamela on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 06:44 pm:

I want to go, but it is too far for me right now with the baby and all. Sorry guys. I know you all must be terribly devestated...

Maybe we can have a CA get together sometime? Hell, I'll host a sleepover or whatever, just get all your asses to my house.

By Nate on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 06:51 pm:

careful what you wish for, pamela.

heather and i could be at your house in 2 hours.

By patrick on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 06:59 pm:

and I in 6. in fact need something to do on our anniverary this weekend. crashing your house with nate and heather could be nutty.

By Pamela on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 07:10 pm:

feel free, maybe you could scare the couple we rented our extra room to out! That would be a great favor!

By patrick on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 07:19 pm:

scare? or score?

By Pamela on Monday, October 1, 2001 - 07:38 pm:

if you want 'em you got 'em!

By Czarina on Tuesday, October 2, 2001 - 10:14 am:

J,you know you can always count on me,when it comes to scheming!Whatya have in mind?

Feel free to pencil my name in,on any clever plan!

I like the place Antigone found.But I didn't get his email:(

So do we have an actual headcount?

Sem
    Antigone
    Sarah
    Heather
    Czarina

the maybe's:
    J
    Tbone
    Pez
    Jim
    Kalliope

What happened to Hal?
    Have we left anyone out?

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 2, 2001 - 10:23 am:

Sorry, Czarina. The day distracted me and I didn't send the e-mail. :( But you've gotten the message anyway. :)

Can I put another smiley in? :P

By Cz on Tuesday, October 2, 2001 - 10:30 am:

:)

By J on Tuesday, October 2, 2001 - 11:16 am:

Czarina,we have to come up with some kind of plan,I was going to just run away,but Amee and Jerry moved out,and Ryan is shacking up with his girlfriend,so my misery is not too bad.I don't have anything to pitch a fit about,and I'll have to drive.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 2, 2001 - 12:44 pm:

The rock-a-tude factor is going up again...

Do we have enough info to book rooms yet? How do we want to handle that? just send whoever does it a check or what? (probably better discussed via email).

(and for anyone wanting to check up on what everyone looks like before going so they don't just walk past each other, I will most likely be updating my website (FINALLY) with some photos from Parris Island, including one of me wearing a pair of Birth Control glasses we found on a PT course)

By J on Tuesday, October 2, 2001 - 01:00 pm:

Birth Control glasses? This I got to see.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 2, 2001 - 02:09 pm:

it's fucking hilarious.

By J on Tuesday, October 2, 2001 - 03:12 pm:

Well give us the link.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 2, 2001 - 03:41 pm:

I will when it's up. Can't download the photo from the camera as the appropriate cable is not here at the moment.

By Ophelia on Tuesday, October 2, 2001 - 03:54 pm:

Can somebody sorta explain what sorabji-fest is, when, where, etc? there's pretty much no way i'd be able to get there, but i'm just curious. How often do you meet?

By Spider on Tuesday, October 2, 2001 - 04:15 pm:

We have never met en masse, but many of us have met some of the others individually. Some have even met Mark.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 2, 2001 - 04:41 pm:

it's looking like it will be hard core sorabjites this time around, but sometimes you just need to get the ball rolling and next time there will be more. Like, my old friends from up north started the same deal, getting together from across the country in a prespecified location. last year there were about 40 and this year over a hundred.

By moonit on Tuesday, October 2, 2001 - 09:41 pm:

Do you guys promise to have a sorabji-fest when i get myself to the us?

By J on Wednesday, October 3, 2001 - 01:28 am:

I do Moonit:)Cowgirls...remember?

By Kalliope on Wednesday, October 3, 2001 - 08:57 am:

Eeeep. I ignore you fuckers for a month and when I come back yer still talking about me. Cute.

I love you guys.

;)

I don't think I'm gonna make it. I'm beyond brokeish at the moment.

I mean, so broke that I've been sneaking my roomate's triscuits and pretending it's dinner.

By moonit on Wednesday, October 3, 2001 - 05:10 pm:

yeah. can i have one of those string tie things?\
    heh

By sarah on Friday, October 5, 2001 - 02:22 am:

Mark. are you coming or what? we need a head count. i'm about to reserve rooms on my fuckin credit card here.

take a break from all the dread in NY and i'll buy you a whiskey. actually, it'll be one of the shots that sem buys me, but still... ;-)

By semillama on Tuesday, October 9, 2001 - 04:48 pm:

so, it seems that still it is just Sarah, Heather, Czarina, Antigone, J, and my own bad self.

did I miss anybody?

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 9, 2001 - 06:08 pm:

hehehe...I just got fired today...(about 30 minutes ago, in fact)...the entire project was axed...as expected...So I'll definately be partying hard in NO. :)

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 9, 2001 - 08:38 pm:

Damn, dude. My condolences. Anything lined up in the pipeline?

By dave. on Tuesday, October 9, 2001 - 08:53 pm:

i somehow doubt he has any grief over it. seems pretty happy, actually. rock out with your cock out, antigone.

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 11:51 am:

You're absolooootely right, dave. No pain here. I'm more than happy to get home, actually. And I planned to be unemployed for a while after this contract, regardless. It's just happening a bit ahead of schedule.

By sarah on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 01:56 pm:

i just called the Maginnis Mansion and the # is disconnected. so i called the St. Vincent's guesthouse on Magazine St. and they do not have any rooms available for the 19th and 20th.

Antigone, i don't think you and I****d are staying at the Maginnis Mansion. are you pulling a joke on us or something?

in any case, now i gotta find a room for us!

any suggestions from the zoo?

By sarah on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 01:58 pm:

Pamela?

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 02:13 pm:

No joke, as far as I know. If so, the joke's on me!

I'll check, and get back with ye...

By semillama on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 02:29 pm:

jeez...

there are a lot of hotels in the FQ, but uncertain how affordable (although I bet there are a lot of special rates now)

By sarah on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 06:38 pm:

czarina, are you out there? are you getting my emails? i need to know if you are going to be sharing a hotel room with me and sem.

By Dougie on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 06:40 pm:

Sarah, Dani e-mailed me and said she'll be sharing the room with you and cz and sem too. She can't pay, but she'll bring the Spam.

By sarah on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 09:56 pm:

actually, plans are changing. but thanks for the info. cz and dani might be on their own.

By dave. on Wednesday, October 10, 2001 - 10:29 pm:

i think czarina's at work.

By Czarina on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 11:46 am:

Sarah,after a multitude of computer problems this am,I have now sucessfully sent an email your way.[I hope]

I started trying at 8:00am,when I got in from HELL NIGHT WITH THE BLONDE PARANOID FUCKING BITCH CO-WORKER FROM HELL.

Its now 10:45 am,and I am on my laptop,which is at least somewhat cooperative.

Sorry,I needed to vent.I'm taking my meication,now.And chasing it with a beer.

By Margret on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 12:35 pm:

Rock out with your cock out?
    Dave, did I mention how much I think you might be my angrier twin separated before birth?
    Meeting you just confirmed it.

By dave. on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 08:35 pm:

bitch. you made me blush.

By Cat on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 09:19 pm:

Sem, you in a hotel room with Sarah and the Czarina?! Holy moley, you better wear an extra pair of jocks to keep the megallama down.

(I just had a flashback of Blindswine posting; "Jump the Llama" to Mavis. That still makes me giggle. "Jump the Llama". heh)

By sarah on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 11:22 pm:

By sarah on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 11:23 pm:

how dangerous do you think it is for me to be driving the 9 hours between austin and new orleans by myself?

my car is in great running condition.

By sarah on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 11:24 pm:

man, when i was 22, i never would have even thought to ask such a question.

does this mean i'm turning into a big weenie?

By dave. on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 11:57 pm:

yup.

By eri on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 01:08 am:

Sarah, if it helps, I hate long road trips. I get car sick. I have driven from California, to Missouri and back 3 times. A 26 hour drive doing 70 all the way. It is absolutely gorgeous, and the different sights in the different states are awe inspiring, but I get car sick and I get impatient with rude drivers. I don't do long trips well.

I will go to Ft.Scott Kansas with my husband, it is about a 2 hour drive, but that seems to be my limit, and I have to drive, or I get sick. His family lives in Omaha Nebraska, but we don't go there. 5 1/2 hours in a car with the kids, I get sick as hell and bitchy like I have PMS. I hate it. Then again, maybe it is the company. I cannot stand to be around my mother in law for more than an hour at a family group function. She has said and done too much. Another story for another time.

Anyways, I don't like long road travel and get sick, so it makes sense that a 9 hour drive would still cause me to have reservations.

It might not be a bad drive though. If you don't get sick like me, you might want to just go for it.

By Nate on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 06:13 am:

argle gargle gable pft.

my brain is ankle mush. i'll be leaving for the airport in twenty minute rice. my luggage can stop small arms firemen. balltastic.

i'll be in minneapolis today.

By semillama on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 08:28 am:

sorry for your loss.

I used to have to drive 9 hours to get home when I was in college, and the second time i did it there was a huge snow storm and it took me close to twelve hours. So I think driving from Austin to NOLA should be a piece of cake. But you're already on teh road, Sarah, so nu.

I'll be in NOLA tonight.

Hoping my nose stops running.

By sarah on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 08:44 am:

warning to everyone. stop.

last minute decision. stop.

kevin's coming along.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

STOP.

By Spider on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 09:26 am:

Hey, will you guys have internet access when you're there? You have to tell the rest of us what's going on!

By semillama on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 11:14 am:

Warning to Sarah:

No Nookie in the room when I'm there. Stop.

It's number one on my list of things I HATE when sharing rooms with people.

You have been warned.stop.

Once again, i appear to be odd man out at a gathering. Not that I am surprised by this. Any single sorabjites wanna pop on down and lend me moral support?

By Spider on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 11:17 am:

Dude, answer me.

By patrick on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 11:24 am:

do you really care spider?

i mean....what is this....Big Brother? you want em to wire the room with a webcam.

you have better things to do this weekend , now run along.

im going to go camp out in Goleta by the beach again....

By Spider on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 11:34 am:

Of course I care, fool! I want to read a big happy message from the kids about the fun they're having. I'm not being parental, I'm trying to share in their joy.

By Spider on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 11:35 am:

Antigone will come through for me, I know it.

By patrick on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 11:45 am:

if this is the joy you seek to share....ye lacketh in YOUR world spidey!!!!

dang man!!!

By Patrick on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 11:50 am:

What?! Why do I like to get postcards from my friends on vacation? Because I like to hear about the fun they're having on their vacation! Because I like my friends and want them to be happy! It's the same thing here.

Don't be such a hard-ass!

By semillama on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 11:52 am:

you may want to check Drunken Ramblings sometime this weekend.

Just a suggestion.

By patrick on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 12:02 pm:

why would you use my name spider?

i dunno spider its kinda weird....

if im out of town on vacation the last thing i wanna do is log on and wank to dorks on line what im doing at that moment.

whatver.....as you wish....it makes no difference to me.

By Spider on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 12:39 pm:

How odd. I meant to say, "don't be a hard-ass, Patrick" and I put your name as mine. I wonder what kind of subconscious noodlings were going on at the time.

Wanking to dorks indeed. How about a 15 minute break, stepping into an internet cafe on Sunday afternoon and saying hello? It's only polite.

By patrick on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 01:21 pm:

hey.....how about you look at this

ive only got the collection up. i dont have the extras up....but you can the pics.

nate's going to be doing a legit page for us soon, so i can get off the nerve.com hosting..

By Hal on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 02:30 pm:

Cool... enjoy yourselves assses...

By Czarina on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 03:00 pm:

If any of the NOLA crew sees this,please send me your cell phone #.I am planning to come meet you Satuarday night.

By Platypus on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 05:37 pm:

Have fun you guys! I wish I could come, but I'll be thinking your way...or something.

By Nate on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 02:06 pm:

hey,fnny me. i'm on a crappy freeinternt computer hiner in MSY.

neworleans is kind ofneat.

no bodydied to m knowledge.

nxtstop: london.

allyou who said they were comingto nola but thenbacked ot, tsk tsk.

cmpuerhell. stcky keey boards suck.

By Czarina on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 05:07 pm:

Well,I made it to NO.Unfortunately,I was late.I got caught behind traffic on the bridge.We were suspossed to meet at The Hard Rock Cafe.

My cell phone doesn't work in NO,[which annoys the hell out of me].When I finally got there,I called Antigone,who was on his way back to his hotel room,so I never got a chance to meet him.But I asked him to call Nate and Heather for me,as I was now on a pay phone.

They came and found me sitting in a tree,in front of the Hard Rock.Sem was with them.

I think they might have been a little shy,but I certainly wasn't.Heather is really pretty,[she does look rather like Nicole Kidman],and she is very sweet.She had a cold,which I was concerned might really be anthrax,so I kinda kept an eye on her.[we all know,thats how those sleeper cells work]But she was really,really nice.

Nate was very nice,also.I didn't see any ass fucking going on,but as a precautionary measure,I tried to keep my back to the wall,as often as possible.[no point taking any unnecessary chances]
    He was polite,and courteous,and I must say that he and Heather,make a most attractive couple.

Sem was there,too.He's cute,and has a mischievous twinkle in his eye.I brought him his belated birthday stuff,that I had never gotten mailed off.A plethora of tacky treats,and he seemed to like a little wrestling toy,that lets you send your opponent flying across the room.

Didn't get a chance to meet Sarah,either.They hadn't talked with her since the morning,she did try to call while I was there,but got disconnected,so I never saw her.They said Kevin was really nice.

After awhile,Heather seemed concerned about my comfort,[from sitting in the tree],and suggested we go somewhere.When I got out of the tree,I noticed that I had sat in a wad of gum,which had bark stuck to it,so I was kinda picking my butt,to get it off.They didn't seem to mind,or perhaps they were just to polite to say,"Damn,Cz,stop picking your butt in public!"

Good manners always show.

Every one was tired,but I felt like I should do the "touristy guide" thing,and asked them if they had seen the submarine,in Jackson Square.They hadn't,and its pretty neat,so I suggested that it would be worth their while to come and see it.

Its about the size of a modern day diving bell,but it was used during the Civil War.It was found,sunk in Lake Ponchatrain.Its all riveted together,and looks really heavy.I have always been impressed,that they had a submarine,back in the Civil War days.Kinda like Jules Verne.

Well,when we got to Jackson Square,it wasn't there.So I asked a local guy what happened to it,and he told us they had moved it,someplace else,to make a Mardi Gras museum,there in Jackson Square.So they didn't get to see it.[unless maybe they were able to track it down today]

Well,by then it was late,and everyone was tired,Heather was sick,and I kinda had a headache,[from stressing on the freeway,about being so late],so we called it a night,and I headed home.

I'm really glad I was able to meet them.It was fun putting faces to personalities.I asked if it was kinda weird or awkward,meeting the others,[Antigone and Sarah],and they said,"maybe a little".

I didn't find it awkward,as I'm quite gregarious by nature,and hope that helped them to not feel uncomfortable.I have always maintained,that I am alot lower keyed,on the board,than I am in real life,so I didn't have any problem just chattering away,with my fellow Sorabjites.

I'm glad I went!

By Dani on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 09:24 pm:

Did you see me on a corner or on a bench drinking booze CZ?!?!?!?
    Dont ask me...Nate posted something about that on WAYD.
    I'm assuming I'm the Dani he was talking about.
    Dying to know what the hell that meant.

By semillama on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 09:09 am:

IT was a good time for sure, but I think next time it probably needs to be in someone's backyard. I think we spent more time either wiating for people to show up or waiting for people to call then we did drinking...

It was very cool, though, and I hope all of you are jealous. I was last to arrive Friday Night and met up with the gansg at the Pirates Alley Cafe, where we had a few beers. Yes, Heather does resemble Nicole Kidman, but is infinitely cooler and better to hang around with. Nate doesn't really look like Dave Matthews, and is quieter than one would think (No yelling out FUCKO!!! for example). Sarah is very friendly and outgoing, and actually, so is Kevin. Sarah had an outrageous cowboy hat. Antigone was there with his friend Ingrid, and was wearing black, which I now think is his M.O. When we were leaving the cafe, some guy walked by who looked exactly like Antigone except with a goatee, which made me suspect he was Antigone's evil twin. So, we walked over to this bar Heather knew about to play pool. This ska band was playing and we drank more beer. I was Sarah's pool partner for the first game,a nd it was probably the best game I have personallya played since I SUCK and I helped win the game. "Bob" was with me! We then went to what we figured out the next day was probably a gay bar, where the bartender had problems comprehending what "3 shots of bourbon and a rum and coke" meant. Then everyone went to their hotels and crashed.

Saturday, I spent split between hanging out with Sarah and Kevin and with Nate and Heather (I spread the "love"). The afternoon, Sarah and Kevin and I had a great lunch at the Gumbo Shop and wandered around the Quarter. We stopped at a record shop and I bought a magnet that had a poto of a sign for a XXX shop with the legend "Lonely? Blow-Up Farm Animals Desire You!" and was universally envied. We then went to the water front and were serenaded by this old black man who sang old R&B tunes. Then we met Nate and Heather for a beer at the Crescent City Brewing Co. Sarah and Kevin then went off for a "nap" and Nate, Heather and I went in search of a pipe store, where Nate walked out of with a new pipe, courtesy of the lovely Heather. We then went to the PAC for more liquour and took stupid photos of ourselves with Nate's digital camera, and tried calling Antigone and Sarah. Then we went to the Corner and ate dinner, and met up with Antigone and Ingrid, and then went to Hard Rock to wait for Czarina, who was late. So late that in fact Antigone and ingrid went off to have dinenr and that was the last we saw of them, Nate , Heather and I went back to their hotel room to await incoming calls and have Heather rest her poor throat (she has that bug that's going around (NOT Anthrax), you know the one). We watched SNL and then went and met Czarina, who is small and pretty and borders on spastic with all her energy. We went on the submarine hunt like she said, and we never made it to a bar to have a beer. That was pretty mcuh that. Nate and Heather went back to their room and I went back to mine, and then Sarah and Kevin showed up and we talked for about an hour. Then i had 4 hours of sleep and got on a plane.

That's it. Next time, it really should be in someone's back yard so we can spend less time waiting for people and more time socializing (drinking). Plus, two nights isn't enough time. I would really like to go and spend more time with everyone.

The big question for many I think is "Is it weird to meet someone from the boards?" and I would say, only initially becaus ein many cases you don't quite know what they look like and it's strange knowing someone without knwoing what they look like, the whole context is different. Howver, it was also comfortable, becasue we're all friends already and there was pretty much instant camaraderie.

By Dougie on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 09:35 am:

Wow, sounds like a cool time. Crescent City Brewing Co -- I think I've been there. 2 levels, and an oyster bar?

By Daniel ssss on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 10:12 am:

The hub of the Universe is the TWA/American concourse(s) at Lambert and you all are still invited for cooking lessons with the goats and reindeer sometime around or after the upcoming holiday season.

I have a big back yard. May be it should be closer to warmer weather though; and per chance you'll be sobered up by then. Then too if there are more people than beds, there's the great outdoors and several size tents at your disposal, so Sem's concern's can be somewhat mitigated by the sound dampening qualities of very thin nylon.

There're four bathrooms, so three people can be sick at a time, and still leave one open for the rest of us. There's plenty of free parking, an extra sink just for Sarah in the kitchen, and all the parochial midwestern attractions of Cahokia, St. Louis, and Mastadon Park are minutes away.

And there are many trees for Czarina to climb. The closest girlies bar is less than a mile away, and we could masquerade as locals so we wouldn't get our asses kicked there (I won't go in there alone...).

I am sorry to say that I was working (teaching) this weekend, and couldn't make the festivities. Saturday night however I thought about you all alot. I've only met one of you in the flesh.

My spirit was with you all. I'm home now for a few weeks, and the lady bugs, wasps. miller moths, and spiders have moved aboard in my absense. Living in the woods is so much fun.

By patrick on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 11:28 am:

"Yes, Heather does resemble Nicole Kidman, but is infinitely cooler and better to hang around with"

tell Nicole I send my mad nookie monkey love next time you see her.

By semillama on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 01:12 pm:

That's the point, she doesn't care. She only calls me when her scientology buddies can't answer a question. So the hell with her. Besides, I can't talk to her when I'm sober.

Any other questions?

By Spider on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 01:17 pm:

It took me about 20 seconds to figure out what you were talking about, Sem. Something's wrong with me today.

I'm glad that you all had fun!

By Hal on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 01:52 pm:

Fuckin people I work with ( Minus TBone of Course.)
    Damnit all to fuck in a handbasket, well I expect to see some god damned photo's. I'm pissed. And next time we hold it somewhere westerly, Cali, or Washington, or Montana or something. I don't care.
    At least that way TBone and I can pull an all nighter in a car to get whereever and see you people. I'm so pissed about not getting the time off. Fuck I'm barely able to get christmas off for some reason... bastards.
    Email me photos, or post a link or something.

By semillama on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 02:55 pm:

You'll have to ask nate.

By Hal on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 03:53 pm:

Yeah I know....

Fuck the people I work with....

By J on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 04:56 pm:

What the hell was Czarina doing up in a tree?

By Czarina on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 05:05 pm:

I wasn't "up" a tree,I was sitting "in" a tree.

I think it was a palmetto tree.Thats how I got sticky gum bark all over my butt.

By semillama on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 06:02 pm:

More accurately, she was sitting on the pot that the palmetto was in, sometimes using the foliage as camoflague.

By Hal on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 06:48 pm:

Fuckinshitchristasstoatdickmonstercockwrapbitchlickintitfondlinbuttchewinballsmackinasshole...

My boss is that.

By moonti on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 01:28 am:

Hal, when I come over we will party hard. And maybe if you ask J nicely she will let you pick on cowboys with us.

Depending on where we meet up of course.

I was thinking of asking my friend Jamie if he wants to do a road trip of the us with me. that would be fun. then I could visit you all.

By Hal on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 02:34 am:

That would be cool...

And I live in Montana so I get to pick on cowboys all the time.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 08:43 am:

You know what I hate? those new pop up ads that fill the WHOLE SCREEN.

Anyway, come to Columbus.

By pez on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 02:07 pm:

come to oregon 'cause i don't drive.

puh-leeze?

*i am getting to know the tri-met system pretty well, though i only use it generally to get to work. i can get to vancouver to estacada and rahleigh hills by catching a couple buses.*

and i have tons of family here, so i might be able to pull some strings to find free places to stay.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 23, 2001 - 04:31 pm:

I can't come to Oregon when I'm sober.

By R.C. on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 06:21 am:

Nate? Sem? Czarina? Heather?

PICTURES, DAMMIT!

You did all this canoodling & gallavanting about NOLA -- NOW WHERE ARE THE PICTURES, DAMMIT?

(And I never have panic attacks. Unless a mean dog is chasing me.)

Also, has anyone heard from Swine since 9/11?
    I'm getting worried...

By semillama on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 08:48 am:

All NYC/DC sorabjites are accounted for. Pester Nate and Sarah for pictures, but especially Nate.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 11:10 am:

nate is on the otherside of the pond right now. i dont think he has much time for this place. i know i wouldnt if i were there.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 11:52 am:

You never know. I wouldn't expect to hear from Nate for at least a couple weeks, though.

By J on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 01:03 pm:

Swines fine.

By heather on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 03:21 pm:

yep. nate is far away.

he has the pictures. i think the ones that sarah took are lomo, so they might be very cool but they won't reveal much.

i'm still coughing. i felt bad asking people to stay in my presence while i coughed on them- it was not pleasant, but the interactive time was seriously less than i originally imagined. maybe everyone was happy with this.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 03:58 pm:

I wasn't happy with it. I LIKE you guys.

I hope you start feeling better soon Heather. Tussin DM and Robitussin Honey Flu cough drops with honey filling are what I recommend.
    It's weird, now I have a face to associate with your posts. I think that changes it a bit, for the better.

By sarah on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 08:57 pm:

ok, here i am. three at my new job and it rocks. i mean it totally rocks, i love it. but more on that in another thread.

first i have to say that sem rocks the mic. he's funny. i mean he's *really* funny. and he's from michigan so we had fun talking silly michigan stuff and all the great and horrible music we've seen in various spots in michigan. and he wore this funny mickey mouse t-shirt where mickey had like one eye or no eyes and one big ear or something. it was kooky.

nate was a lot like nate, except less cursing and minus any references to butt sex, at least in my presence. he's funny too, but you have listen closely. more than funny, nate is cool. even. observant. he's got great hair. and what he says about being mad sexy also is true.

and so is heather.

second time with heather. i'm getting the hang of her personal dress code. i wish i could pull off the skirt she was wearing saturday, it was really great. no red boots this time. she said i was the only outgoing person in the group, besides czarina, but i'm not sure about that.

what else. i wanted to play pool. it's what i do when i'm on the mainland and i'm drinking because we didn't have billard halls or pool bars in hawaii. antigone and i talked shit to each other. he broke and i missed my first shot. he then proceeded to sink five or six in a row. but then sem and i ended up winning the first game, and kevin and i won the second game against nate and antigone.

i drank a lot both nights. that part was really fun too. oddly enough, as shitfaced as kevin and i were, especially on friday night, we woke up fresh and free of hangovers late saturday morning.

saturday kevin and i really did go back and TAKE A NAP. A REAL NAP. i got tired from walking around all day and then the drinking from the night before caught up with me. plus it took us 12 hours to drive there instead of 9, so nyah nyah nyah, we did have a nap. so there.

then kevin's cell phone crapped out and we couldn't get through to nate or andy the rest of the day, except really briefly to learn they were at the Hard Rock or something. but we were at this divey little bar drinking Booker's and smoking cigars and watching the Texas Tech game which i got the bartender to put on the TV. the bartender was reading Lolita in between customers, and the three of us talked about Nabokov. that whole scene was very New Orleans.

where they start drinking at 10 a.m. in hotel lobbies.

btw, the week before sorabjifest i had four dreams about dave. and a dream that all the sorabjiites at the fest asked me to take my jeans off so they could see my scar. and i did. in my dream, that is.

i agree with sem. the next one should be at someone's house. New Orleans itself was too distracting in some ways. it was really fun, though i wish i had seen more of antigone, nate, and heather. and i really missed meeting Czarina.

but overall it was a good starter.

what did you all think of kevin?
    be honest.

By sarah on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 09:49 pm:

sem: do i owe you any money?

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 11:08 pm:

kevin was pretty cool.
    honest.

Ingrid and I would have hung around more Saturday night, but we'd walked maybe ten miles that day around the Garden districts and the Arboretum. We were wiped out...

Speaking of wiped out, I just drove nine hours from Birmingham to Dallas. I'll write more later about that wacky SorabjiFest thang later.

By semillama on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 10:02 am:

I liked kevin a lot. He's funny as hell and seems like a pretty upbeat guy. And yes, you owe me money for parking. Email me for details.

We should hang out some more.

By heather on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 05:13 pm:

kevin was really nice

clean cut all american and all that. sparkly blue eyes.

didn't actually get to talk to him for more than 10 seconds- and that was at the pool hall where it was too loud to talk.

so i'm at a copy place cause my sister's new husband tore things up at their house in the mad rush to wed and vacation. so this is it. but i've had more to say plus email due to sarah- it will have to wait for saturday.

By sarah on Thursday, October 25, 2001 - 11:09 pm:

btw, did anyone mention that Antigone wins the grand sorabjiifest prize? he brought all of us each a three-pack of Smints! rock!

By Antigone on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 12:16 am:

If you eat a mint, lemon, and wild berry smint at the same time, it tastes like cough medicine.

By Antigone on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 12:24 am:

That is, of course, after you write "Suck-my-ass Sorabji"

By Antigone on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 12:24 am:

How the fuck did that post cross over to this thread?

By Antigone on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 12:27 am:

I'm getting the strangest feeling of non-sequitur-vu

By Nate on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 06:59 am:

suckass!

i've been spending my nights getting pissed with some blokes from the office. we place pool with funny small balls, sans numbers or stripes. except the eight ball. the rest are red or yellow.

and drinking rediculous amounts of whiskey and beer.

i have more regular internet access, now. and i have a funny plug for my laptop so i can be more productive.

yippie.

kevin looks like a cross between chandler from friends and norm macdonald. he makes good conversation with strangers.

everyone is quiet in cz's presence.

By semillama on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 09:24 am:

Cz is pretty overwhelming.

By patrick on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 11:26 am:

do you find your dialect conforming to the british kind nate?

drop me a line fucko.....

By patrick on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 11:27 am:

wait...is "cz" czarina?

im totally at a loss as to who this person "cz" is.

By Spider on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 11:31 am:

Duh, yes.

By Spider on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 11:36 am:

Antigone, where is that nice thread of yours in which you posted you and your friends' Christmas wish lists?

By droopy on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 12:16 pm:

By Spider on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 12:55 pm:

Thank you, sir!

By Czarinathe Smintless on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 01:08 pm:

Note to Nate:
    As the old saying goes......."when in Rome"....
    So maybe you could change your Natisms a little.....to kinda blend in.
    Like maybe:

"Have a bloody good ass fucking,you bloody ass."

[Hmmmm,I'm tired,but something doesn't sound right about that]

Hope its not too wet and dreary,over there.:)
    [ps,if you find a tacky tea pot,would you bring it home for me?]

And I guess its only fair to warn you,that was not me in full "go mode".[I'd only had an hour and a half of sleep]I can assure you,I'm quite perky,when well rested.And then,if you throw "J" into the mix,well,all lag asses beware![I guess some of you can now see how J and I could have gotten ourselves into so much mischief,over the years!]

Hope Heathers cold is better,and everyone is well recovered from NOLA.

By Antigone on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 03:30 pm:

E-mail pictures, please, Nate.

By sarah on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 03:52 pm:

Antigone, did any one of us mention anything to you about Satan's Severed Head while we were in New Orleans? i thought i saw an old woman with waist-length black hair wearing layers of varying degrees of sheer purple and lilac garments carrying it around with her. i swear to god it was as if his bloodshot eyeball was peeking out through the half zippered opening of her shoulder bag...

but it was New Orleans, it could have been anyone's severed head for that matter.

By Tom on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 07:07 pm:

Pez and Portlanders:

there's a party tonight in NE.

503 (or 530?) NE 94th. A new friend from work is hosting it, and doesn't know anyone in Portland, really, so I was given the power to invite anyone I felt like.

They're expecting around 40 people, and it would be possibly the most fun thing I can imagine if Sorabjites showed up.

So there's that.

ugh. cigarettes and pretzels not a great combination of oral treats.

By pez on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 09:17 pm:

eugh... that's 7+ miles one way. i'm in the middle of soupmaking, sorry.

By Antigone on Friday, October 26, 2001 - 10:25 pm:

Seven miles? That's nuthin. I walked ten miles this morning. In on yer bike, chicka!

By moonit on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 12:16 am:

yeah comeon. i mean i'm going so really its the least you can do.

hehe i'm in a stupid mood

By Nate on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 02:07 pm:

sorabjifest 2007

By sarah on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 06:02 pm:

we're going to portland next summer for sure. already planned.

By Nate on Friday, November 10, 2006 - 06:29 pm:

interesting.

By Antigone on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 03:30 am:

Oh, count me in. :)

By Nelly on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 07:30 am:

sounds like as good an excuse as any

By agatha on Saturday, November 11, 2006 - 06:11 pm:

We'll be there.

By semillama on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 12:32 am:

hmm. it's possible.

By kazu on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 01:10 am:

it is?

By lapis on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 02:10 am:

when next summer?

there's not tons of room at my house, but any sorabjiite is welcome.

By Antigone on Sunday, November 12, 2006 - 02:40 pm:

I know what you dun next summer...

By sarah on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 12:10 pm:

we're doing a nw tour. portland, seattle, vancouver, starting august 31st through sept 10th.

we're staying w/ my hawaii friends in portland and with senor's new orleans friends in seattle.

(side note: truth be told... i've adored all of senor's friends i've ever met, EXCEPT the guy in seattle. he stayed at our house for 4-5 days earlier this year, and he was arrogant, comically inconsiderate, and manipulative. so i'm not crazy about having to stay with him, but whatever, it's senor's friend, i'll deal.)

anyway, we'll be in portland from aug 31st to sept 4th. seattle from the 4th to the 6th. vancouver from the 6th to the 10th.

we want to hike mt. hood for sure. and i'm hoping to see the sprockettes while we're in portland.

ahem.

so if we do this thing, i propose we meet up for a sprockettes performance. i'll let the rest of you take it from there :)

By semillama on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 02:36 pm:

Possible does not equal probable.

Probable? no, not really. Possible? yeah, but realistically, no sem and kazu next year.

By sarah on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 02:54 pm:

why not?

By semillama on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 04:06 pm:

Because we're going to be totally strapped for cash after the wedding and honeymoon, not to mention I'll be close to cleaned out of vacation days. If it were being held somewhere in the midwest, then maybe, but no major travel is going to be feasible next year.

By lapis on Monday, November 13, 2006 - 08:57 pm:

ah.

we used to do the chunkathlon every year for labor day, but it got too huge and they made it "invite only" not even inviting us. but i'm sure there may be a show or something while you're here.

if i don't go crazy and quit my job and go to burning man this year too.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact