War...confused who the good and the bad guys are?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: War...confused who the good and the bad guys are?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 03:24 pm:

this should help clear things up...

Confused? Having difficulty telling the good guys from the bad? Use this handy field guide to The Terrorists and the U.S. Government!

TERRORISTS:
    Supposed leader is the spoiled son of a powerful politician, from
    extremely wealthy oil family.
    US GOVERNMENT:
    Supposed leader is the spoiled son of a powerful politician, from
    extremely wealthy oil family.

TERRORISTS:
    Leader has declared a holy war ('Jihad') against his 'enemies'; believes
    any nation not with him is against him; believes god is on his side, and
    that any means are justified.
    US GOVERNMENT:
    Leader has declared a holy war ('Crusade') against his 'enemies';
    believes any nation not with him is against him; believes god is on his
    side, and that any means are justified.

TERRORISTS:
    Leadership was not elected by a majority of the people in a free and
    fair democratic election.
    US GOVERNMENT:
    Leadership was not elected by a majority of the people in a free and
    fair democratic election.

TERRORISTS:
    Supported by patriarchal, conformist followers who are intolerant and
    vengeful, and who know very little about the world outside their country.
    US GOVERNMENT:
    Supported by patriarchal, conformist followers who are intolerant and
    vengeful, and who know very little about the world outside their country.

TERRORISTS:
    Kills thousands of innocent civilians, some of them children, in cold
    blooded bombings.
    US GOVERNMENT:
    Kills (tens of) thousands of innocent civilians, some of them children,
    in cold blooded bombings.

TERRORISTS:
    Operates through clandestine organization (al Qaeda) with agents in many
    countries; uses bombing, assassination, other terrorist tactics.
    US GOVERNMENT:
    Operates through clandestine organization (CIA) with agents in many
    countries; uses bombing, assassination, other terrorist tactics.

TERRORISTS:
    Responding to "foreign" threats by clamping down on dissent and
    undermining civil liberties.
    US GOVERNMENT:
    Responding to "foreign" threats by clamping down on dissent and
    undermining civil liberties.

suck on that war mongers

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 03:39 pm:

ANTI WAR ACTIVISTS:
    Forces all facts and observations into their own biased worldview.
    WAR MONGERS:
    Forces all facts and observations into their own biased worldview.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 03:45 pm:

lemme guess o'righteous one....you sit in the middle?

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 03:52 pm:

My ass sits everywhere simultaneously.

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 03:55 pm:

Remember that gopher game, ya know the one where you use a plushy hammer and try to hit the gopher that pops out of lots of little holes? That's my ass.

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 03:59 pm:

Except the holes are the innumerable quantum level events wherein particles and anti-particles (you know, the ones that travel backwards in time) are created, and the gophers are photons. That's my ass.

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 04:02 pm:

My ass is really fucking bored right now.

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 04:05 pm:

I even did a google search for a page on quantum mechanics to make sure my "gopher game" / "time-reversed electron scattering" analogy was correct, or at least in the ballpark.

BORED!

By Spider on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 04:15 pm:

Let me cut and paste a response to this I found on another message board. The responses were originally in italics, so I'm putting stars around them for the skim-reading-challenged:

TERRORISTS: Supported by extreme fundamentalist religious leaders who preach intolerance, subjugation of women, and persecution of non-believers ****and successfully implement these teachings to the greatest extent possible, such that women are routinely murdered for trying to access such simple needs as medical care and education; and anyone who disagrees with the leaders is tortured and executed****

US GOVERNMENT: Supported by extreme fundamentalist religious leaders who preach intolerance, subjugation of women, and persecution of non-believers ****and also by many other groups who embrace tolerance and believe in equality, because this government is willing to listen to all voices****

TERRORISTS: Leadership was not elected by a majority of the people in a free and fair democratic election ****nor even by any type of election at all, rather by violence and demagoguery****

US GOVERNMENT: Leadership was not elected by a majority of the people in a free and fair democratic election ****but is elected according to the law of the land, which itself was put into place by election, and may be modified if the people so desire in a free and fair democratic election****

TERRORISTS: Kills thousands of innocent civilians, some of them children, in cold blooded bombings ****by targeting those civilians specifically in non-military targets, using the lives of other civilians as weapons****

US GOVERNMENT: Kills thousands of innocent civilians, some of them children, in cold blooded bombings ****by targeting military targets to the best of their ability, and attempting as best they can to avoid this, while realizing that any other action will only lead to even greater deaths****

TERRORISTS: Weapon of choice: a three-dollar box cutter ****4 commercial airplanes, the World Trade Center, and the a number of innocent people whose lives were used to get control over the planes****

US GOVERNMENT: Weapon of choice: a billion-dollar B1 bomber ****operated and manned only by those who have chosen to fight for their cause****

And bin Laden's family was in construction, not oil.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 04:29 pm:

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 04:54 pm:

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 05:07 pm:

Just to stay on topic...

You can't read the article unless you're subscribed to salon premium, but the letter to the editor (linked) is pretty insightful, methinks.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 05:15 pm:

By trace on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 08:15 pm:

It is all about image with you all, isn't it?

By moonit on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 02:49 am:

image is everything. thirst is nothing.

no

wait

what?

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 11:04 am:

Image, trace? Of course. Didn't I mention photon/gophers?

By patrick on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 11:16 am:

yes trace, im in the business of images. i take em, make em, sell em. Granted im as good as I could be, BUT im working on it dammit!

otherwise i have no idea wtf youre talkin about.

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 11:59 am:

Maybe he's referring to how we prance about on this cyber stage, performing to whomever is reading, playing at being clever and witty, while in fact we are ubergeek pigdog nogoodnicks.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 12:06 pm:

Dammit, pay some attention to what I wrote. Come on!

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 12:37 pm:

I think it speaks for itself very well, Spider san. It rips the shit out of patrick's post. :)

By Spider on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 12:41 pm:

Ahhhhh. Thank you, sir.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 01:40 pm:

antigone-we have hotel info. email me.

By R.C. on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 05:48 am:

Patrick: Not to quibble/but I remember reading somewhere that Bin Laden's dad made his money in the construction biz/not in oil.

And while our spoiled son lives in the White House & jets around the globe on Air Force 1/Usama is living in caves & running for his life. And he's been slumming it for the past several years/so he can give his moolah to The Cause. I think the fact that he cd've been a playboy but became a zealot is a large part of his appeal in the Muslim world.

(What I really wanna see is a profile on his wife!)

For what it's worth/I think Bin Laden comes closer to True Believer status that Bush Jr. does. What's Bush ever sacrificed for his beliefs/beyond finally laying off the booze & coke?

And that didn't happen til he was past 40.

By patrick on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 11:27 am:

yes RC that is true....but its really beside the point.

he reportedly has many wives.

Bin Laden is nothing of a true believer. He shames the Koran, and really doesnt know a damn thing about it. He's like an extreme version of Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson and the like of Islam. I posted an article around here recently

here is an excerpt...

"Had he studied Islam, the first lesson he would have learned is that an ideal polity cannot be created by force.

"The Prophet never used force to convert people to his ideas. The earliest Islamic polity he created in Medina was based on conscious acquiescence on the part of the people. There is no evidence that bin Laden wanted to convince people. He and his defenders can argue that in the conservative and authoritarian political society, it was impossible to practise the democratic arts of persuasion.

"Bin Laden has become a hero in the eyes of Arab and Muslim youth because they do not know about the history of Islam, its glories and virtues. Osama is a hero of ignorant Muslims. "

By trace on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 12:02 pm:

Just wait till the taliban catch one our guys.
    see how they treat them.
    just watch.

By patrick on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 12:07 pm:

yeah...and?

By semillama on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 12:21 pm:

Just be prepared for Al-Qaeda propaganda tapes of Green Berets being skinned alive, that's all. THat is, if they manage to catch one alive. I think most of the folks going over there are wll aware of what's in store for them if captured, and I wouldn't be surprised if many of our troops would prefer suicide to capture.

By patrick on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 12:34 pm:

have read some of the transcripts of the propaganda being broadcasted on the radios they are dropping, as well as the leaflets?

shit...talk about propaganda.

By semillama on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 04:44 pm:

From: "Tom Walls" <blackeggs@hotmail.com> To: stang@subgenius.com

Dear Stang,

Congrats on your wedding. I enjoyed the pics. Who is that unwanted guest? Disturbing, and hilarious at the same time.

Anyway here are some alternate names for our impending crusade of doom, since "Infinite Justice" was too loaded with theological implications.

Operation Dubya Dubya III

Operation Find Another Code Name

Operation Gunga Dead

Operation Tentative Justice

Operation Bomb the Shit Out of Tajikistan, Woops, Wrong Country!

Operation Terror Terror

Operation Attack Everyone

Operation You Are Being Lied To

Operation Talibinladenwerecoming

Operation Desert Thorn

Operation Destroy ALL of Their Stupid Statues

Operation Tali-whacker

Operation MullahOmargod!

Operation Guaranteed Results - In Thirty Days!

Operation Diarrhea as a Fact of Life

Operation Real Good Strategery

Operation Muslim vs. Muslim

Operation Make Giulani President

Operation Pick On Somebody Else Why Dontcha

Operation Me Tonto You Afghan

Operation The World Ends Tomorrow

and.....

Operation Start Calling THEM Satan

Best fishes,

Tom Walls
    Hollywood, Fla.

The abominable sounds of the Creepy T's: http://www.geocities.com/creepyts

By trace on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 05:39 pm:

By The Watcher on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 05:55 pm:

I heard that after Mohamad converted the populace of Media. He gathered an army and wiped out the people of Meca. Because, they kicked him out.

By trace on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 12:31 am:

By trace on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 12:38 am:

By patrick on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 11:39 am:

so you are going to make it easy for us just to click and view eh?

By SubJudice on Thursday, November 29, 2001 - 10:58 pm:

Muslims are not to be mocked.

It is a religion which praises fanatical behaviour and unreasoning unquestioning obedience.

It is a religion which strikes at the very heart of Americanism in so many ways.

What we need are emergency wartime powers to restrict the activities of these people and intern them without trial as necessary. This has proved very effective in Britain where the english can detain suspects for up to 24 months without trial.

The British have what they call a PROVISIONAL SENTENCING BOARD. What this really means is that suspects can be sent to internment camps for up to 24 months. If it is proved they are guilty, the 24 months is deducted from the custodial sentence. If it is proved they are innocent, they are given the equivalent of 100 USD for each of the weeks they were interned.

It has proved cheaper than 24/7 surveillance and has enabled the english to concentrate all suspects under one location constantly monitored by very few people.

We should consider this in America.

By semillama on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 08:54 am:

Jawohl, mein Nazi freund!

By The Watcher on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 05:34 pm:

And to think SubJudice probably isn't even in congress. Or, the Justice Department.

By TBone on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 02:58 pm:

Christians are not to be mocked.

It is a religion which praises fanatical behaviour and unreasoning unquestioning obedience.

It is a religion which symbolizes the very heart of Americanism in so many ways.

By wisper on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 05:42 pm:

that funny

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact