What's In Your Car?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: What's In Your Car?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By R.C. on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 04:51 am:

(I haven't done this since the What's In Yr Pockets thread & that was years ago. And it was fun!)

My mom gave me a coupon to get my car washed last weekend/becuz I haven't had it washed since I got the car in the summer of last year. (Well/I did take it to the do-it-yrself carwash a couple of times/but I didn't vacuum it or do the windows & whatnot.)

Personally/I've always felt washing a car is a waste of time/unless it's in the dead of winter & you've got rock salt corrosion to worry abt. I've NEVER understood guys who insist on washing their car every weekend. It doesn't make it run any better. And when I 1st moved to FL it rained every evening in the summer. So paying to get my car washed seemed, just dumb.

But to my credit/I have kept this car very clean since I bought it from my folks last year. And the carwash did a good job -- the vacuumed everywhere & cleaned all the windows inside & out & got all the pollen off the outside.

In my car I have:
    - 2 pennies/a nickle/& a book of matches from Cafe Baci in the cupholder next to the ashtray
    - 5 cigarette butts (they emptied the ashtray at the carwash Saturday/& I emptied it again Tuesday)
    - an empty Blockbuster bag w/a couple of sheets of paper towels in it (for coffee spills on the way to work)
    - a copy of BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU PRAY FOR by Dr. Larry Dossey
    - a Rand-McNally map of the U.S. sitting on the rear dashboard (izzat what it's called -- the space where you can shove stuff below the back window?)
    - various restaurant menus/a tire pressure gage/blank deposit slips/a pen/a pencil/the usual car i.d. stuff/plastic utensils /& pepper spray/all in the glove compartment
    - a box of Curiously Strong Peppermints/keys to my parent's hse/a spare tampon/a mini copy of the New Testament & the Psalms/& a little leather change purse/all in that flip-down divider thing that seperates the driver's seat from the passenger's seat
    - the faintest hint of cat piss/becuz last time I took Sebastian for a ride/he peed somewhere in the car. I've sprayed the interior w/Lysol every day for 2 weeks & the smell is FINALLY almost gone. (That was not his 1st car ride/so I don't know *what* his problem was. But you can bet there will be No More Rides for that bastard!)

But no CDs -- gots no CD player in the ride.

So what's in yr car?

By semillama on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 08:59 am:

lots of tapes. a couple pennies. empty straw wrappers. a Jabba the hut head on the dash. A weird found-object necklace Mavis made for me hanging off tthe rear view. my rain coat and my field hat. in teh trunk: jumper cables, snow brush, frisbee, "fireball" rackets, tapes, a travel pillow, an atlas, a Wisconsin gazetteer, and a jug of laundry detergent.

By Dani on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 09:58 am:

2 small bird cages in the trunk that I took to the car wash and power washed the other day. A neighbor gave them to me for spares.
    4 beach chairs in the trunk also.

A tina Turner CD, Phil Collins CD, Fleetwood Mac CD, Dave Matthews CD, Candlebox CD, Rugrats in Paris CD, ( yes, my daughters CD), we like the Cyndi Lauper song "I want a Mom", and a Stir CD in the console.

Flash light, rolling papers, insurance and registration info papers, dozen or so hair ties, tissues, and measuring tape in the glove box.
    And an empty coffee cup thats been on the back floor for a month now.

A little ceramic gingerbread man that my daughter made in kindergarden hangs from the rear view mirror. It gets tranferred from vehicle to vehicle over the years.

Oh yeah, in the glove box is my Brother's gold neckalce with a cross that I took from him when he was here in August. He was gonna sell it to this punk that lives down the street for $40 so he could buy weed. He paid $600 for the chain and cross and there was no way I was letting him sell it for $40. I'm gonna hold on to it until he grows up. He's 18 now so maybe when he's responsible and got his shit together, I'll mail it back to him. He'll be glad I took it and hid it.
    Travel makeup bag is in little storage compartment on the drivers door.

Cant forget the couple of Tampons and Maxi's in the glove box for those just in case times. Very important.

By crimson on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 10:00 am:

couple of tapes, road map, empty burger king bag in the floorboard, mardi gras beads, a piece of pink paper w/ hand-drawn directions to someplace long-forgotten.

By sarah on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 10:21 am:

* a 2-in-1 bottle opener/cork screw

* 1 pair weight-lifting gloves.

* 2 half-full liter bottles of aquafina water

* CDs: aretha franklin, jerry jeff walker, tricky, tribe called quest, sheryl crow

* ashtray has some insignificant amount of loose change. trying to keep quarters in there for parking meters.

* 2 sun visors for the windshield.

* 2 folded-up whole foods brown paper grocery bags [the kind with handles] which i reuse when i go to the supermarket.

* tire pressure gauge, pens, austin street map.

* one chocolate/mint hard candy from Trudy's restaurant.

* a Ross Dress For Less bag with a purse, skirt, and shirt in it which i've been meaning to return for a few days now.

By eri on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 10:32 am:

I would kill this link if I actually said everything that was in my car.

They search your car (they think) when you go to the airport and try to park in a parking garage.

I thought my car was embarrassingly filthy inside. I still have stuff in there from the play I was in in July. Trash everywhere. It is gross, but I just don't have time right now.

Anyways, I pull up to where they check your car, and there was a car ahead of me that was leaving. The guy walked up, and I immediately apologized for the mess in my car. He told me not to worry about it, cuz the last guy was a pig. I said I am still embarrassed, and that when he checked my car I was sure he would think the same of me.

He said "No, the guy ahead of you actually had a real live pig in the car, and damn did it stink. You just have a family". It made me smile, so I thought I would pass it on.

By Czarina on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 11:11 am:

My cars are always full of trash,too.I absolutely refuse to litter,and sometimes it seems I stay on the road,so I compile quite an interesting collection of sundries.

Various musical interests,depending on what mood I'm in.

A variety of medical equipment,[stuff that comes home in my pockets],syringes,rubber gloves,alcohal wipes,stethoscope,meds.

Always an array of "handy site gags",Bubba teeth,honking clown nose,detachable pig ears(my personal favorite)I have absolutely no pride,when it comes to making an ass of myself,or embarrasing my spawn.

Always Coca-Cola,and ciggs.Always a bird cage,for emergencys.Laptop,a couple of geology textbooks,thesaurus,cell phone and beeper[which I seldom answer or respond to]Atlas,a variety of written directions,a handy plug-into-your-lighter thing,that inflates flat tires,emergency tampons,and usually a spare pair of Levi's.

By Platypus on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 11:12 am:

Not much. I'm too tidy for my own good. I have a tire pressure gauge, a map, the owner's manual. and a flashlight. Not terribly exciting.

And I wash it every weekend because I live on the coast, where year round salt corrosion is a major problem. So HAH!

By patrick on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 11:30 am:

hell if i know, i havent driven in a week.

but last i checked...there are....lets see...

uhhh

maps, cds, paperwork, napkins and other boring stuff

bye bye

By eri on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 11:35 am:

Salt corrosion is only a worry during the winter here. My car is ugly looking, though, so I only really wash it when that is an issue.

My van usually sells out here for $6,000 but it was in an accident and had some body damage behind the sliding door and one of the seatbelts doesn't work. I got it for $2,500. Runs great, fits my family, cheap insurance, but I don't really bother trying to keep the outside pretty.

I am usually not that bad about the interior, but with Grandma in the hospital and everyone coming here to visit, who has time to clean the house, let alone the car?

By agatha on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 12:33 pm:

does anyone else find it odd that two out of roughly ten people in this thread have birdcages in their cars?

dave just got a new grandma car. it's funny.

By Ophelia on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 01:06 pm:

I dont have a car. If I did, here's what I'd put it it:

Maps
    CDs
    Sunglasses
    Plastic grocery bags
    Pads/tampons
    My flute
    a fleece / sweater if i wasn't wearing one depending on the season, maybe a jacket)
    A box of tissues
    A water bottle
    Sneakers if i wasn't wearing them
    Flashlight
    Spare change

Most of these things (except the maps) I do have, in some modified version, in my backpack. Its just the sort of stuff I like to carry around with me.

By pez on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 01:08 pm:

hee.

since i no longer drive a car, i'll say what's on my bike.

headlight and rear blinker, a broken water bottle cage.

after biking through yesterday's rain, i am going to get fenders and a rack. i am going to paint it's name on it (my bike is the super-cool ARGYLE SPACE BLASTER!) and find a bunch of supersoakers to put on it (i'd put a small water tank on the back) and so i could go around bike-by-squirting people.

By sarah on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 01:08 pm:

agatha, where the hell have you been? jeeez. and update your website for goodness sakes.

By semillama on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 01:43 pm:

Is your bike really argyle, Pez?

I remember that one of the main villains in the sadly short-lived but freaking hilarious "AMBUSH BUG" comic book, was a mutant sock with a Doctor Doom mask named Arg!Yle! He collected all teh lost socks, mutated them,a nd tehy became his army of evil. I think actually that ARg!Yle! may have started out as one of Superman's socks, actually.

Why can I remember that and not the correct years for the early woodland period?

By Hal on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 02:50 pm:

First I will mention that what I list here isn't 5% of what can be found in my car, I say found because even I don't know what exists below the 2nd layer.
    My car has shit on the floor thats been there since I was in highschool.
    I do howeever have 4 MB Quarts 6 1/2's, 2 JL Audio 10 inch subs, a Panasonic 400xa CD deck, and a ACOUSTICS 500 watt amp. Also I have a 2100 cc Porce 4 cylynder engine.

And all of this, along with years of stuff buildup pthat I just haven't gotten around to sandblasting out of my car yet in a VW 69 Beetle.

By agatha on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 04:47 pm:

i was on the east coast at my sister's wedding and in nyc for a couple of days, and i updated yesterday. anyhow, look who's talking, sistah!

By semillama on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 04:57 pm:

Did you see the NYC sorabjites?

By pez on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 04:59 pm:

heee...

my bike isn't argyle, it's bright sparkly green, but the logo for the company that made it (fuji) looks like argyle.

next week i'll get fenders. i rode around in the rain like, 6, 7 miles yesterday (half of it was after midnight) and almost nothing feels worse than a cold, clammy butt. unless it is someone else's cold clammy butt. i can take my own.

i am having fun today, no work and zine is getting closer to finished. i got to insult a guy because he thinks he's sexy just because he's got an irish accent and i laughed so hard when he sent me a wav file. "you can't help but be turned on" is a direct quote and so untrue.

"but hey, that's life. crap, how do you stop this?"

By semillama on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 06:02 pm:

By Platypus on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 06:50 pm:

by pottery?

or sharkeaters?

By pez on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 07:07 pm:

maybe by all those holes.

By Sheila on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 09:51 pm:

dirt
    dog hair
    43 tapes, 2 in their correct boxes, 1 melted,
    the rest loose
    a bird cage (this is eerie, I agree with Sarah)
    crumbs from The Cheetos Incident
    dog hair
    dirt

By pez on Wednesday, October 17, 2001 - 10:08 pm:

"the cheetos incident"?

do tell.

By J on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 01:16 am:

Except for car papers and proof of registration and a flash light,and those things you put on batteries if they go dead,shock something,not much.My s/o starts cleaning the table as soon as he's done,no matter if you are still eating.He talks loud when I'm trying to hear the news too.It really gets my tits in a knot.

By agatha on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 03:00 am:

three birdcages. holy moly.

i didn't see any of the sorabji folk. i took a one day class at the center for book arts and then hung out with my new internet girlfriend, leslie. she was way cool.

i was going to call swine, but it just didn't happen. there's never enough time for anything.

By R.C. on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 03:24 am:

ROFLMBAOff!

Eri, you cd've had junk from 16 kids in yr car & it wdn't have mattered. Nothing beats a live pig!

But thinkaboudit -- if you were a terrorist/all you'd have to do to get past the security check is funk up yr car w/some livestock & general debris. You cd have a pound of C-4 hidden in there & nobody's gonna check once they smell the pigshit.

AND WHAT IS WITH ALL THESE BIRDCAGES? Bird's can't drive. They don't need a car -- they can fly. Why wd anyone need an emergency bird cage in their car?

Or do all of you stop to retrieve injured birds from the side of the road?

This birdcage thing is statistically significant.

But damned if I know what it means.

[And {waves} to Sheila & her brood. Nice to see you again. :) ]

By eri on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 09:19 am:

This birdcage thing is kinda creepy. Like a little too much to be coincidence. I don't know what it means, though. No bird cage in my car. I am way too allergic to birds, and can't be around them, even at the zoo, I get sick and have to fight to breathe. :(

By patrick on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 11:29 am:

you people are fucking weird and a menace to society at the same time.

By droopy on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 11:46 am:

la cage aux folles, n'est-ce pas?

By Xyrea on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 11:54 am:

Les folles? Je ne sais pas, qu'est-ce que folles?

By Dougie on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 12:02 pm:

Cigarette wrappers & foils, many coffee cups, maps of NY, NJ, PA, CT, MA, OH, & WV. Many cd's, a blanket, fishing rods and lures, neoprene chest waders, old ratty winter coat for fishing, nasty sneakers, 6 gallon empty gerry can, but alas, no bird cages.

By Pilate on Thursday, October 18, 2001 - 12:42 pm:

No bird cages here, either. But there's a road atlas, a plastic cup from Taco Bueno, a pair of sequin angel wings, a Phillips screwdriver, a Silver Surfer comic book, a pair of off-black pantyhose, a few darts, a hymnal and a flashlight.

By agatha on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 12:10 pm:

um.

pilate, you win.

By Xyrea on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 12:50 pm:

"...a hymnal and a flashlight." I feel a song coming on....

By Pilate on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 01:05 pm:

Yeah. Guess who the hymnal, angel wings, comic book and pantyhose belong to?

The kid makes my life interesting.

Oh, and now the car also contains a Marilyn Manson poster, a bag of Corn Nuts and a digital camera.

By Xyrea on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 02:24 pm:

Original or Ranch flavor Corn Nuts?

By patrick on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 02:41 pm:

fuck corn nuts.....

check out mumbles

she's kinda cute

i wanna ride in her "car"

By The Watcher on Friday, October 19, 2001 - 04:53 pm:

This thread reminds me of a site I saw years ago.

I college student had posted what was in his desk.

It went on for ages. Right down to the number of pencil shavings.

My car's a mess. I won't even try to describe it.

By Czarina on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 09:08 am:

Mumbles needs a bird cage.

By Dani on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 10:38 am:

The girl across the street moved out and put her house up for sale and gave me 2 bird cages. She always sees me outside with my Quaker Parrot so she figured I might be able to use them one day. She had the cages sitting in her back yard under a tree for like 2 years so you can imagine how filthy they were. I took a bottle of Clorox clean up and took the cages to the car wash and they came out brand new.
    Plus I'm sure Kim's parakeets will need another cage one day so thats why the cages were in my trunk. They have since been put in the garage for storage.
    I never would have thought that anyone else would have bird cages in their car.
    I also have 3 more cages in the shed in the back yard.
    A friend gave me a 5 foot tall iron cage last year. I keep it out by the pool because Pecker (my Quaker parrot) likes to watch the kids swim.
    So, I have plenty of cages. Take your pick CZ!

By Czarina NO bound on Saturday, October 20, 2001 - 02:25 pm:

Well,I think most everyone here is aware of the fact that I breed parrots.So its no mystery why I always carry a cage with me!You just never know when it might come in handy!

Peckers a cute name for your Quaker.It fits their personalities!Quite terratorial little units!

I have swimming birds,too.Well,not really swimming,more of floating in the pool with me,on a dandy little perch thing I constructed.Buster Bird,[my favorite Eclectus Parrot],pretty much goes everywhere I go,does whatever I do,and seems to have my personality.He's a trippy bird.I love Buster.He's a go with it kinda bird!

I just got off the phone with Nate,and am planning to meet everyone in NO tonight.Gonna grab a coupla hours of sleep,and off I'll go!

By TBone on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 03:05 am:

A lomo camera, a noseful of Imitrex, Mt. Dew cans, a sun-bleached parking ticket, a VW Rabbit repair manual, the original seatbelts (in a paper bag), bank deposit envelopes, a floppy keyboard, a green bowler hat, two pairs of running shoes, a power inverter, a set of lock picks, bungies, a bike tire repair kit, biking gloves, a helmet, Mille Nico catalogs, The Diesel Glove, 2 of 3 parts to a chinese yo-yo, a tire guage, a toothbrush with a broken handle, a sweatshirt that spent so long folded neatly in the back window that there's a lighter-colored rectangle on the front, a copy of the Beautiful Garbage CD, copies of both CD's from Kruder and Dorfmeister's The K&D Sessions, a copy of the Shrek soundtrack, Cake's Comfort Eagle, 10 feet of red 12-gage wire, a stolen long-shackle padlock (no key), a key that opens something in Barnes and Noble, my backpack, a notebook, a hubcap, a power inverter, a thule rack lock core, a AA battery with the label peeled off, a Canon A-1, two computer power cables, a Kodak DC-290, two ethernet noodles, one tea-light candle

By pez on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 04:27 am:

i'm thinking of my stuff lately as a nessessity than as a liability.

i've stopped carrying a purse, all makeup but a single tube of lipgloss. no more cd player in the bag, but i still keep bus passes, a notebook, water bottle and pens. sometimes i carry both my minolta and my lomo, but mostly i risk the chance that i won't need to take a picture.

i use the extra space in my bag to carry freebies and vegetables home. instead of ignoring every soul on the train, i talk to anybody. and everybody. today a guy tried to invite me to a halloween party, but i backed out, using my living in a punkhouse as an excuse.

i got black sabbath's "paranoid" and depeche mode's "violator" today. less than $10 each, new. come to think of it, it wasn't as big a deal as i thought, because i could pay my part of utilities with what i spent today.

By Tom on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 06:45 am:

I just got invited to some random halloween party. A girl at the new job and I were having a cigarette on break, and she told me that her roommates were throwing a party, would I like to come, and bring a guest.

For some reason, the first thing I thought was "whoa, it would be really funny if this party was at Pez's place."

By pez on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 12:43 pm:

it prolly isn't.

out of my two female roomies, one works at home, the other does sound stuff on weekends.

By patrick on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 11:33 am:

i listened to paranoid this weekend.

can beat that shit with a stick.

i also sat around a campfire and listened to willie nelson and drank snake bites.

cant beat that shit with a stick either.

By semillama on Monday, October 22, 2001 - 01:19 pm:

True.

Paranoid rocks an ass. It's one of those albums that you wish you could have heard when it first came out and scared the hell out of people.

By SuGaRmOuTh on Friday, February 1, 2002 - 12:21 pm:

Oh my i don't even know myself what all that stuff is in the back of my van!!! It's been there for at least 2 years and well i think it would be like going to a yard sale if i were to clean it out. I might even find some buried treasure at the bottom of the pile. I am so so bad about keeping it clean i have just gave up. Guess when i get a new vehicle i will have to clean it out. Lord knows when that might be though. I am sure there are things back there that i would not be able to ident easily. Yucky gross things !!!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact