The eating habits of Dogs

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: The eating habits of Dogs
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Serious and in need of advice on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 01:44 pm:

I kind of have a problem. I've recently gotten a kitten in my house and my dog of many years has taken to eating the droppings in the cat box.
    Does anybody have any advice for a way to stop "Rover" from this habit. . .?

(by the way what is the meaning of WEG in internet lingo)

By Fester on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 04:04 pm:

had the same problem

it was suggested to us by the vet that i buy one of those cat boxes that does the scooping for you. $300 - nope.

the vet also suggested a cat box with a top with an improvised opening that only the cat can get through. the dog got in anyway and would be wandering around stuck inside the top - funny but ineffective

next, i built a platform out of plywood about 4' off the floor and we keep the pan up there. you may have to improvise since it's a kitten

all you have to do is show kitty the the box a few times and they get the drift. i also kept a trough of that cat grass on the ledge.

cats really don't want to poo anywhere but in the box unless something else is wrong

By dave. on Sunday, October 21, 2001 - 04:28 pm:

don't feed the cat so much. they only digest what they need and the rest comes out as "food". feed the kitty less and whatever makes it into the box will be mostly shit. same goes for a dog that eats it's own shit.

i've also heard that premium pet food helps. cheap kibble is mostly corn meal but they put "stuff" in it to entice the critters to eat it. it makes sense that this "stuff" makes it into the kitty cookies your dog so loves.

By Serious on Wednesday, October 24, 2001 - 04:25 pm:

Thank you, most innovative and insightful.

By Lala on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 12:03 am:

my dog does that too, well, my pup. he eats my cats poo. he goes to her litter box, and eats the poo, i dont know what to do.

By dave. on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 02:13 am:

try setting it all on fire. i hear puppies won't eat the ashes.

a couple gallons of gas will do the job.

By sarah on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 10:50 am:

i'm getting a puppy today. his name is leroy, he's 7 weeks old. i've never raised a dog before, so i'm a little weirded out and could use potty training advice.

By kazu on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 10:52 am:

I want a puppy. :(

By Wolf on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 12:02 pm:

lala...how about cooking him some decent food?
    introduce him properly tocats and maybe work on your own taste for shit. a dog is his master is what ive been always told

if not, just abandon him!!!!

By dave. on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 12:26 pm:

kennel train him.

By sarah on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 05:28 pm:

i'd like to introduce y'all to Bad, Bad Leroy Brown.

By sarah on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 05:29 pm:

please send links on obedience and potty training!

By Antigone on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 05:32 pm:

Cute!

(...the dawg's cute, too...)

By patrick on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 06:05 pm:

she said "ya'll"

eva fell in love with a cute chiuaua pup this weekend at a breakfast diner.

the pup had soft long hair and was about the size of a tea cup.

when the two exchanged kisses they both started shaking immensely with excitement. thankfully eva still can't form coherent statements yet or i would be posting pics of our new puppy too.

By Spider on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 07:39 pm:

*squeal*

Soooo....cuuute!!!

By Dougie on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 07:40 pm:

Get a Booda Box

By agatha on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 01:12 am:

awwwwwwwwwww.

I second the crate training comment. Also, the BARF diet, while it's an incredible pain in the ass, is also a really good thing to look into. If I had the time, I'd do that diet for my good boy.

By Lapis on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 01:18 am:

Simply adorable.

What type of puppy is he?

By Platypus on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 01:44 am:

Wait...the barf diet? So you would recommend sarah feed her dog puke? You should read "food pets die for," as it has a list of cruelty/cat & dog free pet foods. (Innova is the only one that comes to mind off the top of my head).

Crate training is a great thing. So is obedience training. Especially with lab-y type dogs, which it looks like he may be?

He is really cute. I should post some pictures of mr loki, he is getting big now.

By agatha on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 02:08 am:

By semillama on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 09:46 am:

Good lord! Don't let Kazu see that photo!

By sarah on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 10:53 am:

his dad was 1/4 chow, 1/4 golden retriever, 1/2 mutt, and his mom is 100% mutt. his mom is a well-behaved, nice looking but strange looking dog because her breed blend is completely unidentifiable. except maybe she has some hound because she has a bit of a long snout and is kinda wiry, weighs about 25 lbs. but she's the same color as Leroy only with very very short hair, like almost as short as a chihuahua.

she gave birth to 10 puppies, all boys.

so far Leroy is completely accident free. he totally gets the concept of going outside to make potty. i had to get up twice last night - once to let him out, and once to take him to the couch to sleep with me. he doesn't bark, but god almighty can this dog whine and make crazy loud puppy noises.

today i go to get a heating pad for his crate, because all he wanted was to snuggle and some body heat and he went fast asleep. and i won't ever let him sleep in bed with me, so i gotta get one of those big round doggie beds.

right now he is under my desk chewing on a pink slipper that was hand-knitted by my grandmother. it looks more like a dog toy than a slipper or shoe, so it's okay.

a co-worker told me he's too young for raw hides, that raw hides will make him sick until he gets to be a few months old. is this true?

i have a lot of research to do...

By Spider on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 11:50 am:

Regarding the BARF diet page....I thought feeding your dog chicken bones was a bad idea because they could easily splinter. Is this not true?

By agatha on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 11:55 am:

feeding cooked bones is a problem, but these are all raw. the raw bones are flexible, plus most of the bone matter is ground up. god, that sounds icky.

i really like the name leroy.

By sarah on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 12:09 pm:

yeah, me too. but i didn't name him, he named himself. all you have to do is ask and then listen. he has 9 brothers in his litter (no sisters), and 6 of them told me their names. Sherman, Oliver, Cain (or Cane, i'm not sure), Cesear, Toby, and Leroy.

By dave. on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 12:37 pm:

oh for crying out loud, they did not.

i like leroy. also, oliver and toby.

the potty training may not be an issue but if you come home and your couch is shredded, consider kennel or crate training.

kinda scared of the chow part. they're unpredictable.

By patrick on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 01:14 pm:

in addition to a heating pad. buy a cheap clock that ticks. bury it under the heating pad. mimics heartbeat. will help him sleep at night.

By Lapis on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 03:32 pm:

Yes. Get the cheap clock, I think you need a wind-up one for the ticking.

By sarah on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 03:36 pm:

raw meat and bones? isn't that really expensive? i could supplement w/ raw meat and bones, but not every day. there's an old timey butcher close to my house, maybe i'll bring leroy in, and then ask for scraps.

who could resist?

By agatha on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 11:56 pm:

it's actually only supposed to be slightly more expensive than cheap dog food and slightly less than expensive dog food. you don't have to buy top quality meat. the folks I know that do the diet use a lot of turkey necks and gross shit like that, but the dogs love it and it keeps them healthier, thusly less on vet bills.

By agatha on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 11:57 pm:

it's actually only supposed to be slightly more expensive than cheap dog food and slightly less than expensive dog food. you don't have to buy top quality meat. the folks I know that do the diet use a lot of turkey necks and gross shit like that, but the dogs love it and it keeps them healthier, thusly less on vet bills.

By agatha on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 11:57 pm:

By AGATHA on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 11:57 pm:

CRAP.

By V.v. on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 12:36 am:

Indeed ma,am

By sarah on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 12:46 pm:

leroy had his first vet appt this morning. i asked her about the barf diet. she did not recommend it. she said that, while it's true that dogs in the wild naturally eat bones and raw meat, the lifespan of a dog in the wild is about 5 years. she said it's okay to supplement with raw beef, but to stay away from fish and chicken and anything with bones. eating bones can cause gastroenterological obstructions.

she said leroy should not be fed puppy food but rather adult dog food. because he's going to be a fairly big dog, puppy food will make him grow big too quickly, which could contribute to joint problems in the future.

he got his shots and dewormed. no fleas and no ear mites. she said he's a really healthy dog and a sweet, gentle temperment.

she also gave me great advice on kennel training.

leroy is passed out cold under my desk. it was a very eventful morning.

By KAZU on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 02:23 pm:

I WANT A PUPPY!!!!!!!!!!!

By kazu on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 02:25 pm:

By the way, Sarah, you and Leroy *match* in that way that dogs and owners do...you know? Blond and adorable.

WANT PUPPY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

sem?

By heather on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 03:54 pm:

yeah

so sweet

By agatha on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 11:56 pm:

I beg to differ with your vet. That's okay, though.

By sarah on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 04:36 pm:

this morning Leroy took a shower with me. it's the only way i could get him to stop crying. he couldn't see me behind the shower curtain so i put him in the tub, but that still wasn't good enough. i actually had to hold him while i showered. he got soaking wet and fell asleep curled up in my left arm, while i tried to wash with my right. then i switched him to my right arm. i shampoo'd him just for the hell of it, then rinsed him. he slept through the whole thing. he woke up when i towel-dried him, but then curled up in the towel on the floor and rested and watched me finish getting ready.

what am i going to do about this? i can't shower with him every day to keep him from crying, but i can't let him cry because it waked up my housemate who sleeps later than i do.

By TBone on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 05:05 pm:

He'll grow out of it. Until then, you have a showermate.
    My friends have a cat that climbs into the shower with them, too.

By Antigone on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 05:39 pm:

That dog shower story is damn cute.

My cat Max used to start wailing if I went into another room and closed the door. As a result I couldn't go to the bathroom unless he watched. Once I had a dream where was following me around. A shopkeeper in the dream asked me about the big black cat and I said, "Oh, don't mind him. He follows me everywhere!"

By Platypus on Thursday, March 11, 2004 - 09:29 pm:

Loki climbs into the shower too, he chases the water & or the soap bubbles. He seems to enjoy himself and he is the cleanest cat in town.

By sarah on Friday, March 12, 2004 - 01:30 pm:

my office now looks like a playpen, tiny raw hides and chew toys strewn about. i'm going to have more pictures by the end of the day hopefully.

By sarah on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 12:40 pm:

there are new photos of leroy to look at! if you check out the clown nose photo, not only can you see a photo of senor, but you can also see my hottub in the background, outside of the doorwall... :)

i have the cutest puppy of all time. when we walk him, cars will pull over the side of the road and people get out to meet him and pet him. a family of 3 followed my home from a walk one day to meet him. senor and i took him to Amy's Ice Cream the other night and literally business came to a complete stand-still while everyone crowded around (including the folks scooping ice cream behind the counter) to pet him and play with him.

it's ridiculous, really. the drawback of having such a great dog is that dave arguably loves leroy more than me. i'm not kidding.

leroy already about 12-13 lbs which is over twice the weight he was when i first took him to the vet at 7-1/2 weeks old. yesterday he turned 12 weeks old.

and he's such a good puppy. he already knows sit and stay, and he's been housebroken since the third day i had him. he pretty much chews only on his toys, with the exception of wanting to chew/bite on people hands and arms. the flesh biting/chewing is a little problematic, because he still prefers to chew on a hand or arm even when given a rawhide or toy to chew on. i'm not sure how to break him of that.

By patrick on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 01:14 pm:

eva would eat him up.

By J on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 02:36 pm:

I love the pictures with the blue bonnets,he is so cute,and is that Dave holding him? He's cute too.

By kazu on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 04:18 pm:

KAZU

WANTS

A

PUPPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOW!

By wisper on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 06:40 pm:

oh look how yellow he is!

By Rowlfe on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 08:03 pm:

oh dear lord thats cute

yellow lab/whatever you know yellow dogs...

yes, yellow puppies are just about the only thing I'll swoon over like a little girl on 'everyone gets a pony day'

and the good thing about those dogs is they will hypnotize you throughout their lives that they're still a puppy. Yes, even if they get big, they have a certain charm that basically makes you always think they're brand new.

By semillama on Thursday, April 8, 2004 - 11:24 pm:

he's like the puppy equivalent of crack.

By moonit on Friday, April 9, 2004 - 05:49 am:

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

moonit wants a puppy too. the pandyr wants a slobbery boxer puppy.

By agatha on Saturday, April 10, 2004 - 12:02 am:

He is incredibly cute. He looks kind of concerned in a couple of the pictures.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact