Why Are Curses in a Foreign Language So Much Cooler?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Why Are Curses in a Foreign Language So Much Cooler?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By R.C. on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 04:55 am:

I sometimes watch this Brit series COLD FEET. And they occasionally blurt out "Bollocks!" Which is so cool -- it doesn't even sound offensive.

I've started using it. I don'teven know what it means in Britspeak/other than the fact that it's profanity. But in public/people don't even realize it's a curse word! You can say it in front of old people & not get a lecture. (And remember/Flordia is riddled w/old people.)

We've got Sorabjites from Down Under -- what curse words do Australians use? And New Zealanders?

Take "Merde!" for instance. It's such a friendly word. Sounds almost like "mer" (the sea). You can drop box of paper clips at the office & say "Merde!" & nobody gets offended.

Merde
    Salope
    Conasse
    Bollocks

Those are the only foreign curse words I know.

I NEED MORE, PEOPLE! Help me out.

By agatha on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 12:24 pm:

"geh cocken offen yom,"-
    yiddish for "go move your bowels in the ocean."

a personal favorite of mine.

i used to know "fuck your mother" in arabic, but i can't remember it anymore.

By droopy on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 12:41 pm:

some distant relative of mine once taught me how to swear in lithuanian. it had someting to do with snakes and frogs and devils. supposed to be really bad in lithuania.

By Stigga on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 01:32 pm:

bollocks means nonsense in british english. it is a school yard term.

Sponker is british english for putz.

blinder is british english for sodomy.

scheiss is german for shit

schwarzkopf is german for negro

pieds noir is french for negro

moissant is french for cum

madredos is spanish for motherfucker

padredos is spanish for priest fucker (they use this word to talk about women who spend all their time in church)

By moonit on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 01:42 pm:

Bollocks is also slang for balls.

We used to have this show here called Father Ted which was so bloody funny, and one of the characters on it used to say Feck alot, which is irish and not so harsh as fuck. So I say that.

And arse, but you've got to sound the r. not the pathetic ass that you lot say ; )

I'll have to keep thinking about this one.

By Dougie on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 01:50 pm:

I thought bugger was british english for sodomy.

Pieds noir are settlers who left France to live in Algeria.

Never heard of moissant. Jouir means to cum. Don't know the slang for the noun though.

"Putain" (whore) is used a lot. "Putain de merde". Or "pute" for short. And "salope" == bitch. "Espèce de salope!" "Enculer" means to bugger.

By droopy on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 01:53 pm:

my neck and back hurts too much to type out all of the spanish swear words i know.

By moonit on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 05:48 pm:

Bugger can be used in two ways here.

Bugger that - meaning No Way.

and oh Bugger - meaning oh shit but not really swearing.

Bugger was also used in a successful advertising campaign by Toyota. Should see if I can find a link to the ad.

By droopy on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 06:16 pm:

i'm in so much pain i feel like swearing in spanish (mexican or south american.)

chinga tu (or su) madre - fuck your mother

chingate - fuck you

chingalo - fuck it

puta - whore. when i worked with lots of migrants who were not formally invited, they guys would all call each other puta. "que paso, puta!"

chupame la verga - suck my dick. there're a hundred words for "dick" in spanish just like in english, but verga is the one i've always heard. i've also heard mamame la verga, which means the same thing.

culo - ass, the body part. the first mexican swear word i ever learned. "mira el culo!"

coño - cunt

conejo - pussy (literally rabbit). this is more from spain. hemingway, who spent time in spain and spoke the language, called one of his wives "rabbit" as a pet name.

tetas - titties

By patrick on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 06:41 pm:

i was once taught the phrase

chupame ma binga "suck my dick"

By Cat on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 07:00 pm:

Why are you in pain, Droop? Email me ya big puta.

By Cat on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 07:15 pm:

Never mind, just tried calling and obviously you're out picking up badass women, so you can't be all that much of a cot case.

By Cat on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 07:24 pm:

Australian swear words:

bloody - useful for everything and can be used in any company.

fuckin' oath - means "you bet ya"

strewth - not really a swear word, more an exclamation. But is usually combined with a swear word for greater effectiveness eg: fuckin' strewth.

mongrel - sim. bastard

bastard - used in an almost friendly way

umm..mostly we use phrases like "Macca's as fucked as a poof in Long Bay (prison)". Australian is a very beautiful and descriptive, language once you learn it properly.

I'm a bit hyper today because I've only had four hours sleep and I wrestled an 8ft long carpet snake off my dog.

By patrick on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 07:49 pm:

shit.

i saw a deer run down my street last weekend. the craziest site.

i was near my window and heard a noise outside, like a gun, i look out and see two beer-gut riddled Animal Control officers chasing this beautiful big doe down my street. It was like a cartoon.

By RC on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 03:54 am:

8 feet long!? Was it venemous?

How'd it get on yr dog? Was it a constrictor?

If the carpet snakes Down Undah are fucking 8 ft. long/how big must yr garden snakes be?

No wonder Steve Irwin is always so hyper.

By Cat on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 04:45 am:

By R.C. on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 05:15 am:

Good grief, Cat! That thing was just, like, in yr backyard chillin'?

You'd better not let yr dog out unless you're standing next to him!

Do you live out in the bush /or does the avg. suburban homeowner have to deal w/sankes that size roaming around their property?

And I thought the gators here in FL were a pain in the ass.

By TBone on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 03:34 pm:

When I lived right at the base of Mt. Sentinel, deer were wandering around about every night. I nearly got run over by one as I was walking around late at night. I heard this rhythmic thump-thump-thump then BOOM, there was this buck coming around the corner of a building about 3 feet ahead of me. He was moving full tilt and fortunately saw me just before he finished his leap and managed to miss me by a foot or so.

'bout had to change my shorts after that one.

Occasionally deer are wounded or killed when they go up the ramp for the parking garage and leap over the little cement edge on the other side. They don't realize that it's a 2-story drop since the ramp only goes up like 3 feet. It's because the ramp side is sort-of dug into the mountain and the other side entirely above-ground. Bears and mountain lions are more of a rarety and tend to end up further south where there's better garbage and/or children to eat.

By droopy on Saturday, December 1, 2001 - 05:26 pm:

that would be "mi pinga," patrick.

i just had some aching muscles, cat. nothing a few scotches couldn't fix.

when i was a kid living in rhode island, my dad had a boat and that's how we spent the weekends. one weekend we were moored off some beach in newport; i was swimming off the side and a friend of mine was fishing. my friend starts screaming "i've got something big!" and i swim over to be close enough to watch the fish rise out of the water. it was a small sand shark; and it wasn't hooked, it was just tangled up in the line. when it was all the way out of the water, it shook itself free and dropped back into the water a couple of feet from me. my first assumption was that it was going to go straight for me and bite my legs off, so i scrambled out of the water.

By patrick on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 11:51 am:

RC you have some vicious creatures in your neck of the woods too.

Water Mocasins can get up 5-7 feet. Diamondback rattlers can get pretty damn big too. And those are both potentially deadly snakes.

and of course gators are pretty damn nasty.

Im betting the ecology of Florida is a lot like that of Australia....generally speaking.

By Spider on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 11:54 am:

Except for all those pesky marsupials...

By Antigone on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 12:24 pm:

And that pesky continent sized desert...

By patrick on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 12:29 pm:

possums, skunks and racoons roam florida don't they?

By semillama on Monday, December 3, 2001 - 10:02 pm:

Hey R.C. - you anywhere near Pensacola or
    Jackson ville? I ask because sometime in the
    near future we have surveys there, adn if you
    are, I'll try and get myself to come down for the
    lit review or something.

My goal is to try to meet a sorabjite on every
    out of state project we have.

By R.C. on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 04:20 am:

Jax & Pensacola are 3-4 hrs. from me. I'm in Sarasota/which is on the West coast/an hour south of Tampa.

But lemme know where & when & I'll try my darndest to meetchya!

Florida is overrun w/critters. Fucking infested. Turtles & tortoises. Armadillos. Gekkos. Black widow spiders. Wild pigs. All kinds of sharks. (Someone gets bitten every year @ Siesta beach or Lido/but there haven't been any 'reported' fatalities from sharks around here. Becuz when someone goes off for a swim & never returns & they don't find a body/they *never* write it up as a shark attack. Can't hurt the Tourist Trade, now/can we?) A gazillion different kinds of frogs -- some loud enuf to wake you from a dead sleep at nite. Many exotic birds. (There's a huge/gorgeous owl that I see swoop past the streetlights in the parking lot once in a while/when I'm taking out the garbage.) Hellacious Fire ants. (Which I've thankfully managed to avoid. But I've seen the blisters they leave!) Brown recluse spiders. (Got bit by one of those once -- my hand swelled up, but good!) Damn gators. (Est. gator pop: 1.3 million. So why are they still on the Endangered Species list?! Every year they snatch somebody's dog. A couple of years ago/a gator got somebody's kid right on the edge of the creek in their backyard.) There are snakes galore/both poisonsous & non. It's amazing anyone leaves their house w/out a pistol.

Thankfully/I've only had 1 snake encounter. I think it was a poisionous one. It was black w/red & yellow bands - next to each other. And I remembered that old rhyme:

Red next to black/friend of Jack,
    Red next to yellow/kill a fellow.

It was only abt 5 inches long & very thin. Six made short work of it out on the lanai before I'd even realized it was there.

And I had the unique pleasure of catching a glimpse of a cougar once at my old job. The grounds surrounding the place are still undeveloped. And of course/the cheap bastards didn't bother to fence in the complex. They put up a sign: Do Not Feed The Animals. But what's to stop the animals from feeding on you when there's nothing btwn you & the woods?) I'd heard from other employees that they'd seen a mountain lion crossing the parking lot on occassion in the early evening. But I figured it was just folks talking shit. Cougars are more prevalent further south/& even then, they're rare.

Well/one evening at dusk I was out back having a smoke. There is also a good-sized man-made pond on the side of the building/not far from where the picnic tables & benches are. I'd seen gators in the pond many times but never realized that spot was a perfect watering hole for a puma.

So I'm sitting on a bench smoking/& I hear something move abt 100 ft. away in the brush. I looked up just in time to see tawny hindquarters & a very long matching tail slink off into the brush. Nothing but a cougar has a tail like that.

Very cool. But I still say they shd fence in the property. I know that puma is used to seeing & smelling humans. What's to stop it from deciding a lone smoker wd make a good snack? There wdn't be anyplace to run to. And you had to swipe yr badge to get back into the bldg. Not a good thing when being chased by a carnivore.

Just one more reason I'm glad I don't have to work there anymore!

By patrick on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 11:41 am:

that would have been a coral snake. very dangerous indeed.

Ive seen foxes around here.

cute lil buggers. the ears look so top heavy.

By semillama on Tuesday, December 4, 2001 - 06:08 pm:

I may be in Jacksonville for liek three days
    sometime in January, but I mioght not be the
    one to go - it's just a really small survey.

By Czarina on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 12:15 am:

Whenever I get out of state company,I make them carry an "alligator stick",for "personal saftey".

I know its kinda mean,but I can't help myself.It works every time,too.

I have to "show" them the proper way to use it,kinda swinging it about 10 inches off the ground,and make lots of noise,"so the gator's 'll hear ya comin'."

By R.C. on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 01:29 am:

Just tell them to keep away from standing bodies of water!

Altho I'll never forget seeing a gator on the news that had wandered several miles from the nearest watering hole/& ended up on the walkway in front of a bank.

By Czarina on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 02:02 am:

Gators are really weird.They make a really odd deep croaking sound.

And,they can run REALLY fast,

We have some albino alligators here,at the Aquarium of the Americas.They have blue eyes.

By R.C. on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 04:46 am:

Patrick: If it was a coral snake/I assume it was a baby. At that size/wd it have been dangerous if I had gotten to it before Six did? And how did fatass Six (back then, anyway) manage to kill it w/out getting bitten? She's declawed!

The whole thing was so nonchalant. I had fired up the barbie to cook something or other. Six loves to lie under the grill once the flames go down - even in the middle of summer. It's a standard sized grill/abt 4 ft. off the ground. (I only barbeque after sundown during the hot season. Otherwise/it's like grilling in the middle of Hell!) It was just after nightfall & hot as hell outside. I was tending to my food when she darted from under the grill to under the table. I paid her no mind.

A few minutes later I was ready to bring everything inside/but my Sixaboodle didn't follow me back into the hse. When I went back to get her/I looked under the table & saw her batting this little snake around. It was nearly dead --she'd bitten it almost in two. I noticed the colors & realized it might be poisonous/so I grabbed Six & threw her inside. Then I poked at the snake w/the spatula a few times to make sure it was dead. Then I picked it up & tossed it out onto the grass.

You mean my kitty risked her lazy life killing that snake for me??

I'm not a hereptologist/but I see that nut Steve Irwin handling the most aggressive, venemous critters/in a very careless manner. It's not like he finesses them -- he grabs them near the tail of all places! Which leaves their heads free! But I remember him pointing out once that a snake's striking distance is only 2/3 of it's body length. So as long as that 2/3 won't let it grab hold of you/you've got a safety zone for handling the them. (But he handles poisonous snakes 7 & 8 ft. long too!)

I have a garden -- I have to get in there to water my flora. I usually water at nite becuz I think most snakes here aren't active at nite/since they're cold-blooded. Sooner or later/I'm gonna come across a snake. Even if it's venemous/I figure it's better to pick the thing up & move it than freak out & try to kill it/or get bit trying to get away. After all/if it's outside/I'm on it's turf/not vice versa. But I'll not have them camping out in my garden!

And it's not like you can call the Snake Catcher & they'll send over a guy in a truck to get the damn thing. Animal Control won't even come for venemous snakes if they're outside. They won't come for gators either/unless they get into yr house or garage or pool. One can be sprawled across yr back porch & all you can do is shoo it w/a broom/or wait for it to decide to leave.

I tell ya/the damn gators run the state of Florida!

By Czarina on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 09:59 am:

RC,don't pick up the snakes.That is too risky.Some of them are extremely neuro-toxic.

Its better to whack their little heads off with a shovel.I don't like killing things,but I do kill poisonous snakes,so they don't breed and produce more around my home.

I've heard that if you put moth balls in your garden,it will keep snakes away.I have no idea if there is any validity to this,but its worth a try.

By J on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 10:50 am:

Make sure you dispose the heads,as they are still poisonous even detached.When I lived out in the desert I saw more than my share of rattlesnakes,I once saw a "ball" of several rattlesnakes, It was really creepy,use to hear the cyotes howling and seeing wild packs of havalina,gila monsters and scorpions, but there are some beautiful things in the desert,sometimes.

By Hoodbuddy on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 11:25 am:

Snakes are afraid of wasps.

You never see snakes where there is a wasps nest.

Its a fact.

By patrick on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 11:41 am:

cats are pretty damn fast RC. If it was a young snake it just could have been caught off guard.

otherwise, yes, consider your cat a hero. Good ole Six...Snake Warrior.

Snakes, will generally do everything they can to avoid humans.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 04:34 pm:

Remember the snakes wouldn't be there if they didn't have anything to eat.

See what is attracting them and remove it. Or, whatever is feeding the snakes food, mice, and remove it.

I admit it, snakes freak me out if I stomble across them at night. Especially poisonous ones!

By semillama on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 06:53 pm:

What are havalina?

By droopy on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 07:38 pm:

javelinas are a kind of wild pig. a peccary. i think that's the kind of pig that attacked that census taker in texas.

i have a snake story. when i worked the concession stands at the zoo, a friend of mine worked at the popcorn stand. it was just a wooden frame with screening on it, basically. there were always lots of indigenous snakes crawling around, especially in the summer - harmless garden snakes and all that.

so one sunday at the peak of business he sees a snake slithering around the top corner of his booth, on the inside. i don't know what kind of snake, but it was a couple of feet long. there are two working the booth, so he lets the other guy take care of the customers and decides to put on a show by catching the thing. he distracts it with one hand and makes a grab. he doesn't get a good hold on it and it bites him in the hand. the first thing he does is fling the snake, which was stuck to his hand, out of the serving window and into the crowd of onlookers. mayhem ensues.

By semillama on Wednesday, December 5, 2001 - 08:15 pm:

Excellent.

By Czarina on Thursday, December 6, 2001 - 08:59 am:

Javalina are the only animal I would willingly shoot.They are BAD-ASS ugly desert pigs.They ran me up a tree when I was a kid.They have tusks,and they are smelly and scary.[but,thank God,they can't climb trees]

A friend of mines mother had one she raised from a baby,and kept it in her backyard.When the meter-reader saw it,he told her,"Lady,I don't know what kind of dog you've got,but you better take it to the vet,cause it don't look right,and if it bites me,I'm gonna sue you."

By J on Thursday, December 6, 2001 - 09:55 am:

I realized after I already posted that,that I spelled javalina wrong,but it must be a spanish word and you pronounce the j as a h.

By semillama on Thursday, December 6, 2001 - 02:12 pm:

doesn't matter, as I had not heard of them
    either way.

By J on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 12:43 am:

They are real ugly and they stink,and they are mean,and they travel in packs.

By R.C. on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 03:45 am:

How the hell shd I know what coral snakes eat? Or any other snakes for that matter?

My garden's not a vegetable garden. I've got sisal plants & a big bird of paradise. And these other things w/purple leaves that everyone has here -- I don't remember what they're called/my Mom got them for me. And this big wide bush w/a lot of waxy green leaves/dunno what it's called either/it came w/the crib. I don't think any of those plants are particularly appetizing to snakes. Maybe the snakes come to try & catch gekkos -- there are plenty of them scurrying around the garden.

I will try the mothballs trick/but won't they kill off friendly bugs that I want to keep in my garden? Or possibly get into the soil & posison my plants when they melt?

And I remember reading somewhere in a short story that if you kill a rattlesnake/you must cut off the head & bury it becuz wasps & yellowjackets love snake venom. They will eat the head & become venemous themselves. But I don't know if this is true or just invented as part of the stotry.

The wild pigs I've seen here don't have tusks. I thought they were boars/but even female boars have tusks, yes? Maybe they were just escapees from a local farm. I was the mama & good-sized piglets. They were crossing the road at my aforementioned place of employment.

But one of the pgiblets ended up roadkill a few days later.

The sad thing is that I see so many cats oustide w/collars. They're obviously not homeless. Yet with all these predators afoot/their owners still let their cats outside to fend fo rthemselves amongst the gators & wild boars (they have those here too) & snakes & lord knows what else.

Oh -- I forgot to tell you what The Little Bastards did! Sebastian & Six managed to knock the screen out of one of the windows downstairs & breakout a couple of weeks ago! I come home & nobody runs to the door to greet me. So I'm calling for my kitties/& I look up & Sebastian (the Grand Instigator -- I KNOW it was all his idea) comes climbing in the the window from outside. His belly & legs were COVERED w/mud! He'd obviously been exploring the creek in the woods behind my house. Which used to have a gator in it/but thankfully/it's nearly dried up now since we've had practically no rain for 3 years now. Six was right behind him/in pristine condition. (Thank God becuz she's mostly white.) It took me 45 min. & quite a lot of shampoo to get the mud off 'Bastian -- & clogged up my bathroom sink but good!

Thankfully/the Little Bastards must have been terrified once they realized they were OUTSIDE! so they kept close to the house. But talk abt freaking the fuck out -- I thought someone had popped the screen off from the outside & tried to rob me! (I do have a habit of leaving my windows open pretty wide. Iit's finally the cool season & I want to get as much of the breezes indoors as I can.) But once I realized all my stuff was still there/I figured out the cats must have pushed out the screen/prolly in pursuit of a squirrel or another cat.

Now I only leave the downstairs screens open 3 inches when I'm going out. I was so grateful that my babies weren't hurt.

I swear/I don't know how people manage to raise actual human children w/out having a coronary every time they leave the house...

By The Watcher on Friday, December 7, 2001 - 04:48 pm:

R.C., It's all that other wildlife you mentioned that the snakes are after.

Snakes are not vegitarian. You just live in an environment that is condusive to wildlife. That's why you have the snakes.

I really don't know what you could do to make the critters leave.

You don't have any bird feeders in the yard. Do you?

The gekkos must be attracted to the bugs. Have you thought of an exterminator?

By J on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 10:49 am:

Geckos are goodluck.

By J on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 10:50 am:

Geckos are good luck.

By Czarina on Monday, December 10, 2001 - 11:50 am:

Snakes eat rodents,and probably frogs,too.I think they have to eat live stuff.I don't think they have to eat very often,like maybe once a month.

I don't know about the moth balls melting,and poisioning the soil.Sounds like they might.I don't even know if the moth balls work,I've just heard that.

I know that in areas where deer are a problem,[like getting into your garden,and eating your stuff],they recommend collecting human hair,and putting it in little cloth pouches,and tying it to your trees.I think the "human scent" is suspossed to keep them away.

By R.C. on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 03:53 am:

An exterminator comes quarterly to spray inside the house. I only tell him to spray outdoors (aroud the premieter of the lanai) during the summer when bugs are everywhere. Keeps them from coming in thru the back porch wall/kitchen wall.

Outside bugs have every right to be there. If the gekkos eat them & the coral snakes eat the gekkos/well, that's just the food chain. Actually/I think gekkos are cute.

My biggest concern is being outside watering or weeding/stepping on or accidentally grabbing a venemous snake/being rushed to the E.R. when I have no health insurance... You get the picture.

But so far/I haven't encountered anything poisonous in my gaeden. So methinks I'll stick to watering at nite when the snakes are asleep. And let my Mom do the weeding if she insists. (She usually does it anyway. Since the weeds don't bother me/I refuse to bother them. Martha Stewart wd be shocked to find that yr plants & the weeds can coexist quite nicely.)

I've lived in FL since '95 but this whole critters thing STILL weirds me out. I grew up on Long Island/which has plenty of wildlife. And bugs. But I never saw a snake in our yard there.

Maybe I'll move to Antartica. No bugs or snakes there.

By patrick on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 11:19 am:

rc.....the chances of you getting bit by a poisonous snake are next to nothing.

please, live your life...its ok.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 02:55 pm:

It's to cold in Antartica.

Better to learn to live with the snakes.

I'm sure you had snakes in Long Island. You just didn't see them.

Try Hawai (That doesn't look right) I believe they have no indigenous snakes. And, the climates much better.

By semillama on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 05:58 pm:

The key word is "indigenous". They have
    snakes.

By The Watcher on Thursday, December 13, 2001 - 03:59 pm:

I heard they kept them pretty much under control.

I really wouldn't know, I've never been there. I just remembered something from PBS or The Discovery channel.

By R.C. on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 05:14 am:

Snakes gotta live too.

But I went out & watered my plants a little while ago. With a flashlight.

Saw some some pretty interesting critters. An enormous cricket-looking thing. But it was soo big - like a fucking mutant! And a Big-ass Brown Recluse spider. I thought they preferred indoor digs. (Then again/it *was* crouched right in the corner of my window screen. Guess I caught it in the middle of Breaking & Entering.)

But no snakes.

6 yrs. & only 1 Close Encounter w/a poisonous snake.

I think Patrick's right. Ah be aww-ite.

Altho' my Bird of Parasise is lookng pretty shitty right now. Not at all ike it's elegant cousins that you pay $5.00 a stem for in the flower shops.

Those of us w/Black Thumbs shd prolly skip gardens altogether.

But I really love my sisal plants. Some of their cousins were made into the rug on my living room floor.

By Czarina on Friday, December 14, 2001 - 10:43 am:

Hawaii doesn't have snakes,cause I think it was either the ferrets or mongoose that did them in.

These varmints are illegal to have in Hawaii,now,because of that.

Sarah should be able to fill us in on the particulars.

Patricks right.Live your life.Yea,sure,there's poisionous stuff out there,but we all probably have more to worry about from the evil people who inhabit this world,than from toxic wildlife.

By The Watcher on Monday, December 17, 2001 - 02:16 pm:

I just read Hawaii has one of the toughest Agriculture Departments in the country.

They really inspect everything thoroughly.

They are very fearful of something like the Brown Snake insident in Guam. I hear it did a real number on the indigenous species there.

By Carlos on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 10:40 am:

madredos (????) is spanish for motherfucker

padredos (?????) is spanish for priest fucker (they use this word to talk about women who spend all their time in church)

## Stiga,where have you learnt Spanish? In Mars?? "Madredos" and "padredos" have no meaning, they simply don´t exist!! Motherfucker is the classical "hijo de puta". Priestfucker is not an insult you are likely to hear in Spanish, but if you want a translation, in Spain it would be "follacuras", in other places it could be translated as "pingacuras", "pinchacuras", "cogecuras", etc. Not a very usual thing, though.

// chinga tu (or su) madre - fuck your mother

chingate - fuck you

chingalo - fuck it //

Droopy, that is ONLY Mexican, you are not going to hear that anywhere in South America. "Chingar" in Argentina and Uruguay means "to fail", nothing to do with fuck. Fuck in those countries is "coger", "fifar", "trincar", "garchar", "pin-
    char", "culear", etc.
    Also, a peccary is "pecarí", and a "jabalina" is a weapon, not a pig, what you call in English with the French word "javeline". The pig is called "jabalí", which means "wild boar". You´d better take some Spanish lessons soon...
    Cheers,
    Carlos

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact