So why don't you debate on the boards?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: So why don't you debate on the boards?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Cat on Wednesday, February 6, 2002 - 05:16 pm:

I was just thinking last night that lately any debates on the boards have been dominated by Patrick, Nate, Antigone and myself, with just the occasional guest appearance by other Sorabjites.

So why don't people like Droopy, Sarah, J, Spider, Semillama etc get into the fray? Are you too nice? Or are you secretly sitting there thinking what wankers we are and letting us bury ourselves with useless rhetoric?

By patrick on Wednesday, February 6, 2002 - 05:30 pm:

*sigh*

despite my so-called better judgement, im going to speak to you, directly that is.

i haven't seen any debates around here since 9/11 and shortly thereafter.

as far as im concerned there's a lot more now to back and forth about than there was then. But i s'ppose we were in "shock" as the media likes to put it.

i've posted many current event bits but no one seems interested.

i wish the 80% who are supposedly in favor of Bush & Co. would come around so I can get a piece of them, if they even exist.

on another note, i was at a dinner party sunday night and met this bubbly australian actress named Sara, supposedly has had several prominent roles (though she didnt ring any bells with me) and you came to mind. Like droopy, you're about the only person I know of from down there.

im still pissed at you and encourage you to heaping bowls of shit.

By Cat on Wednesday, February 6, 2002 - 05:51 pm:

Pass me the ketchup.

By Pug on Wednesday, February 6, 2002 - 07:28 pm:

I just get bored with the whole thing---
    Sue me---I don't like arguing and I don't like the side of me it brings out. I go through periods where I thrive on this kind of thing and then I withdraw and I hate myself for doing it.
    Of course, shit always comes back around----ketchup or no.

By pez on Wednesday, February 6, 2002 - 09:00 pm:

i'm sick. i don't debate anyway. i merely observe as dust in the wind.

bah.

By dave. on Wednesday, February 6, 2002 - 09:24 pm:

my words and i just don't get along. occasionally, especially after several beers, i'm moved to jump into an argument but rarely will that find it's way into a post. the posts that do slip through disappoint me and probably all of you as well. this dissatisfaction has brought me to a point where i only post comments that are intended as playful but sound bitchy and rude and even that is losing it's appeal. i mean, look at what i just wrote. it's poorly worded, boring and pedantic. or it would be pedantic if it weren't so boring and stupid. the truth is, it's a perfect reflection of the real me. everything i say is like that. this is something that, for lack of an alternative, i've come to accept. whatever. we can't all be great.

anyway, that's why i've refrained from debating.

By moonit on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 12:44 am:

I don't like to debate because its too much like the arguing I was subjected to as a child between my mother and her husband.

ooh that sounded way more grown up than I thought it would.

By Hal on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 06:56 am:

Because I just don't want to break anyone's ego.

No seriously, its because most of the time the argument is about something I know little about have no opinion of or just don't want to go do a little research on to whoop a little ass with in a debate about something so trivial.

That and I'm usually laughing so fucking hard after reading some of said debates that I can't clear enough tears out of my eye to see clearly enough to respond.

So Eat a dick.

By Spider on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 08:20 am:

"Or are you secretly sitting there thinking what wankers we are and letting us bury ourselves with useless rhetoric?"

Yes.

And on the occasions when I have been involved in some fruitless debate, I have condemned myself for being just such a wanker.

By semillama on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 10:39 am:

I won't participate in any debate tafter it
    degrades into personal attacks (see the
    cochlear implant thread, for example).

I stopped talking about politics because it's
    either preaching to the choir or an exercise in
    futility (although the debates with Trace were
    good).

I will leap in with both feet if it is something I
    know a lot about, but since what I know a lot
    about rarely comes up in conversation, well,
    there you go.

I mean we could debate about teh whole Axis
    of Evil thing, but really, who could possibly
    take the "pro" side?

By sarah on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 10:57 am:

i'm just too stupid to debate and too self-involved to care.

By sarah on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 11:06 am:

also, patrick always ends up ruining it for me, with his sumo sized chip on his shoulder, pseudo-intellectualism, arguments based upon assumptions from outerspace and personal anecdotes, the inevitable and total lack of logic, and eventually the name calling and emotional tantrums.

sorry, patty. i'm not trying to be mean, but that's the honest answer to cat's question.

By patrick on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 11:19 am:

the only chip i have is when i see shit like that sarah.

i consider the "psuedo-intellectualism" comment to be similar to saying "im better than..." and that says volumes about what kind of shallow person you are.

what i post has nothing to do with what you post or don't post. thats weak.

By patrick on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 11:44 am:

You notice sarah, how, for the most part, no one else blames anyone else for what they post or don't post? Most are citing personal reasons why they don't jump into the fray.

Take notice sarah, that you, historically are the only one who uses the term "psuedo-intellectual", i think Lucy Phurre used it towards me, but we know what kind of wack job she was.

Notice that?

You're lame sarah.

Whats next, you're going to call me "fatty patty"?

By Fetidbeaver on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 12:41 pm:

i want to know.....
    did Lucy Phurre ever, GET HERE LIFE BACK!!!!
    hehehehe

By Fetidbeaver on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 12:49 pm:

a side thought....Patrick do you ever have anything positive to say about ANY governmental policy or leader? i know we have the right to disagree but i wonder if you are really that negative or like playing Devil's advocate

By crimson on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 12:55 pm:

i don't tolerate bickering, argument, or divisiveness within my own home, so why would i come looking for it online?

however, as i'm sure a thousand people will now point out w/ the big accusing finger, i've been involved w/ some of the ugliest, nastiest arguments on these boards...& i'm not proud of it.

despite that fact, i don't feel like a total online bully (an image that i certainly don't want) because i feel that i did not openly provoke arguments needlessly (although others may debate that point). i feel, instead, that it's a case of wanting to state my true opinion, but it got badly out of hand.

no matter how many ways i've tried to soften the blows of my viewpoints (including trumpeting it from the rooftops that IT'S JUST MY OPINION, not the gospel of christ) people want to keep picking & tearing a point down, even after i've conceded a certain amount of defeat & politely receded from the argument. whatever.

i eventually came to the conclusion that some people must actually LIKE arguing...which is a very sad conclusion to arrive at. i know i'm not guiltless, because i've argued here, myself. but i DO strive to keep high levels of serenity in my home & in my life. i don't like arguing.

i'm not innocent. i've contributed a lot of grief to these boards. but in every case, i was trying to be honest & boldly state an opinion--an opinion that was rapidly misconstrued & deconstructed. i took the time to apologize in nearly every case that i can think of. i stated, for the thousandth time, that it's only my opinion, but to no avail.

if anybody is still bothered by the things i've said here in the past, i apologize now. if i somehow failed to apologize in earlier posts, i will do that now. i'm sorry about any division i may have personally caused here.

i read stuff on these boards every day that makes me want to jump in the middle of the big argument du jour...but i've been mostly biting my tongue & not doing it. i've caused enough problems already.

which doesn't mean that i still don't want to provide a counter-opinion sometimes. please understand that i'm only human.

there's another board that i post on, and it devolves into arguments nearly every damn day. you can't state your name w/o somebody arguing the point. i hate it. if the board weren't work-related, i'd never go there again.

there's so much going on in the real world, but people would rather get themselves worked up over bullshit issues in fantasyland. it's not even REAL.

not that i won't miss posting my dopey opinions here when i'm gone all next week.

By patrick on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 12:56 pm:

unfortunately, what bits of sunshine peak through beav don't get me nearly as worked up as the beams of bad policy.

Just last night i was reading a bit by Jimmy Carter in National Geographic and i thought to myself he was probably the biggest human resource to take the Oval office this century only to have a fickle public waste him away.

By patrick on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 01:01 pm:

"i've been involved w/ some of the ugliest, nastiest arguments on these boards"

really????? i must have missed those. I don't really recall you ever being in the fray.

its pretty well established im on the whipping post more than anyone else around here.

i think perhaps were confusing bickering, argument and name calling with the good topical back and forth, like we used to have with trace.

By Fb on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 01:13 pm:

i liked jimmy, but not what he did to the cia

By Cat on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 02:57 pm:

I liked it when Crimson argued on the children thing. It was thought-provoking. Sometimes I like to take my opinions out for a spin and see if they survive the trip.

By crimson on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 03:17 pm:

the hell of it is, i still feel strongly about a lot of the points i've argued here (like the whole children/breeding thing). it's one of the areas that i'm very opinionated about, like abortion (i'm all for it), right-wing politics (gag), dummied-down public education (don't get me started) & a thousand other points. then again, these are viewpoints i've held since my youth & i've never really hidden it. but i finally realized that i was pissing people off, which wasn't my intent at all. and truthfully, although i've been snide at moments, it could've been much worse. even in the zenith of arguing such points, i tend to hold my tongue to some extent. i'd rather talk to people in an open & friendly fashion than bicker w/ them. but i've done some arguing here. like i said, i'm only human...despite these festive nail scars in my hands.

By Cat on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 03:24 pm:

oh and Patrick, I just can't help but point out that you spelled "psuedo-intellectualism" incorrectly.

You probably did it for effect and thus the quotation marks around it.

(If it was a mistake, this is going to earn me another barrage of "fuck offs" and "bitter, twisted spinsters", but it's just too funny.)

By patrick on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 03:34 pm:

it wasn't intentional, as most of my mis-spellings arent. simply lack of proofreading, thats all.

yes it is funny

it would only earn such a barrage if you start harping on how ignorant I am. Though you can't possibly be expected to know such personal information, your labeling me in such a way was about as poignant as walking into Weight Watchers and calling everyone hopeless fat fucks and throwing pizza at them, or something like that. Your timing couldnt have been worse.

i put quotations around it because as far as Im concerned its a retarded and meaningless term.

By Ophelia on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 03:35 pm:

I like arguing when it challenges my ideas and makes me defend them, but it can be hard to make a graceful exit if it dissolves into petty name-calling and the like. Then sometimes I wish I hadn't said anything. Oh well.

By Cat on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 03:55 pm:

Patrick, you realise that you're arguing on a thread about arguing, right?

I suggest we don't bore peeps any more with this. I believe you know my email addy should you wish to carry on some more.

By patrick on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 04:01 pm:

yes i AM aware of that. i hoped that would become the case yesterday when you started this thread, if it wasnt your intention to begin with.

ive already sent an email.

By patrick on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 04:01 pm:

but not to that address

By Nate on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 04:14 pm:

how dull this is.

festering rot can provide fertile soil for new generations.

alas- not until the festering stops.

and not for us.

By The Watcher on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 05:13 pm:

Sarah,

Bravo. I do believe you nailed patrick very well.

One small correction. Patrick is not a Pseudo-Intellectual. I concider him an Intellectual. Meaning he's lost "most" of his capability to reason and think logically. He usually just spouts back the liberal drival he's learned by roat in college.

However, I must also admit on some wonderfully rare occasions he has come up with a few gems of wisdom. Which means he isn't to far gone. He is capable of saving himself if he really wants to.

In my humble oppinion Jimmy Carter was perhaps the most incompetant president we have ever had. But, he seems to have become the best former president we have ever had.

By Dougie on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 05:24 pm:

Jeez Watcher, you're really one to talk. I get real real tired of having to wade through your lameass posts which you pepper every thread with about how your life sucks and how life sucks in general. I don't consider Patrick an intellectual or a pseudo-intellectual; to me, he seems like a regular educated guy who's interested in what goes on in the world and wants to talk about it. At least he's come up with a few gems, which I have never ever seen you do.

Oh, and as for why I usually stay out of the fray, ditto on dave's post.

By heather on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 05:27 pm:

what a hoot.yessir.potpotkettlekettle.what the hu?

intallectyality is over-rated if you ask me

By heather on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 05:28 pm:

ha! ya!

my last post was sposed to be after watcher's if it makes any difference to you

By Uncle Fester on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 05:29 pm:

Makes no nevermind to me.

By heather on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 05:38 pm:

i am wondering, however, why i get so pissy about spelling. not random obvious typos and such, but really easy words misspelled for no apparent reason.

maybe a spelling bee incident

good thing i'm not so picky about grammar. i'd never write a thing.

By Cat on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 05:42 pm:

I've always liked it, Heather, that you never bring up your amazing education.

It's like being able to tell rich people 'cause they never brag about their money.

By heather on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 05:46 pm:

i blush

By Uncle Fester on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 05:51 pm:

Do tell, heather. You were educated? Really? Where? What did they teach you? Was it really amazing?

By J on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 06:35 pm:

Harvard impresses me,and that's why I try to stay off a thread if it becomes too heated,not that I haven't did some name calling myself,but it's just pointless.I've stated my opinions here,everybody knows I'm Republic,seems like most here aren't,so what? That shouldn't get to be an issue,or boil down to name calling? I come here cause I like you guys and it makes me sad when I see you fighting amongst yourselves.I just might have to get the paddle.

By Dougie on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 06:43 pm:

Cat started it. So spank her. I get to watch.

By Cat on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 06:45 pm:

...oooOOOOOOO Remind me to be naughtier.

By Uncle Fester on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 07:26 pm:

OK, here's a reminder: Be naughtier, Cat.

By patrick on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 07:29 pm:

"I concider him an Intellectual. Meaning he's lost "most" of his capability to reason and think logically"

wtf?

did this come from the humor section in your latest issue of Readers Digest?

By Cat on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 07:52 pm:

Interfuckeduallare.

By pez on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 10:22 pm:

readers' digest is an insult. total pasturized spoonfed bullshit on a page. i used to read it in doctors' offices because it was either that or some dilapidated issue of highlights i'd read 6 years previously that now has infant diaper-dragger drool all ever it, and gummy corners.

don't you dare argue with me. i will be better tomoprrow morning, i am going away to work. pbth!

By dave. on Thursday, February 7, 2002 - 11:58 pm:

jimmy carter's big sin was to appoint buddies from his gubernatorial cabinet to key presidential cabinet and advisor positions, which meant stiff-arming the washington insider influences. he paid for it by not getting cooperation from the insider political forces on important issues, which rendered him ineffective.

funny how gwb trumpeted his outsiderness when everything he's done since his swearing in has been ancient republican policy re-wrapped in a freshly tattered red, white and blue wrapper when jimmy carter, a true washington outsider, great american and probably the best human being ever to hold that office, was undone by those very same forces that are now providing bouyancy to gwb's, or rather, ronald reagan 2.0's pseudo-outsider, frankenstein monster of fascism. money = power = ego: you're either with us or against us.

you're either retarded or embarrassed.

By Daniel ssss on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 01:26 am:

Where else can you listen to something about Jimmie Carter, intellectual fascism, Harvard eduKashun, and infant diaper-dragger drool (that's great pez!)... spouted by the fingertips of such hopelessly wonderful schmuckrackerheads ...

There's such irreverence here. Such lovely family dynamics. And I have very little to say ... it's much too much to absorb anything, this debating thing.

Pass the bong.

By Cat on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 03:16 am:

Patrick is now my love slave.

Ok maybe not, but he's coming around to the idea.

p.s. He's got a Star Trek costume..hehehehhe.

p.p.s. I've got eight hours to find a secure hiding place before he finds this post. Wish me luck.

By patrick on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 11:45 am:

here's another item im positive about beav

finally someone realized the absurdity of this 3 strikes shit. Im ecstatic that the ruling judge invoked the "cruel and unusual punishment" apsect to it. Thats particurlarly poignant.

By patrick on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 12:53 pm:

dave i've been thinking about your view on Carter.

i like your way of thinking.

i also tend to think 4 years is too short of a time to accomplish anything for a president.

with mid-term elections halfway through, the nature of our currently system virtually renders that year ineffective because the pres is stumping to maintian or regain Congressional control. the fourth year is virtually ineffective as well, because homey is seeking re-election.

i think the first presidential term should be 6 years and a second term should be 4.

4 years is not enough to really be effective. but then again Bush & Co. have managed to start a war, bring about a deficit and aide a recession with a ridiculous tax cut, piss away developing relations with former enemies, reassert unilateralism and arrogance to world perception of America...all in his first year.

By Antigone on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 01:57 pm:

It's always easier to destroy than to create, patrick.

By patrick on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 02:27 pm:

cliche's are easier too, no? d00d!

By The Watcher on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 03:03 pm:

I love it when I can both agree and disagree with what Patrick says.

I'm not sure about the presidential term. But, you did make some good arguments for you point. I'm just glad Clinton didn't have a longer term.

You can't really say Bush started this war. Because, the terrorists who brought down the World Trade Center towers did that. Even though the true causes have been festering for years on both sides.

Oh, I love the rediculous argument about Bush aiding a recession with a tax cut. That is pure democratic liberal drival if ever I heard it. "The government knows better how to spend your money then you do." Give me a break. I work for the U.S. government. And, you get just what you ask for. ie $600 hammers.

By Antigone on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 03:47 pm:

Cliche value is orthogonal to truth value. d00d...

By patrick on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 03:51 pm:

you get a hard on sending me to the dictionary dont you? admit it.

By Antigone on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 03:54 pm:

I knows better how to spell then you do, Watcher.

By Antigone on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 04:02 pm:

My nipples are all atwitter.

Here's the dictionary.

Suck my nutsack, you fucksnack.

By Cat on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 04:04 pm:

Antigone is just an amoeba in the big spelling pool of life.

By patrick on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 04:04 pm:

you're making me uncomfortable antigone with your sexcrimes!

By Antigone on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 04:24 pm:

Bump my plump rump with your thump stump, chump.

By Spider on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 04:34 pm:

Please marry me, Antigone.

By Cat on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 04:41 pm:

Jumpy his pumpy stumpy for a humpy rompy

By The Watcher on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 04:47 pm:

Who doesn't know how to spell better then me?

By Dann Quail on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 05:31 pm:

Mee

By Janny on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 01:09 am:

Janny

By pez on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 02:30 am:

we should lower the age for the presidency and for the legislature and say that no person can be involved in national politics for more than ten years.

never trust anyone older than thirty-two.

By Czarina on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 06:12 pm:

You've all missed the most most important fact here.

Jimmy Carter had a great brother.

He even had his own line of beer.

What other president can top that???????

By Fb on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 07:36 pm:

didn't Billy die?

By Sorabji on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 09:16 pm:

By Cat on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 09:36 pm:

AMY AND MARKIE SITTING IN A TREE. K I S S I N G.

By semillama on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 02:28 pm:

I had something to say, but Mark's erudition
    has caused it to flee my feeble head.

Oh, wait it's back.

I was going to say that I bite my tongue quite a
    bit, partially because it's ungentlemanly to pick
    fights with dimwits, and partially because I
    don't have the time for such exercises in
    futility.

(it will be interesting to see which dog barks.)

By Cat on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 02:38 pm:

woof

By semillama on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 03:18 pm:

Now, I know that stone didn't hit you, you're
    barking on general purposes.

By sarah on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 08:55 pm:

hey, lookie who's got time on his hands!

By semillama on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 09:54 pm:

Damn straight.

Plus this cat won't get off my lap, I have no
    choice.

By Ophelia on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 11:47 pm:

I bite my tongue too. My 12-year molars on the top came in crooked, pointing in at my tongue, so when i chomp i'm liable to bite it.

i'm getting my wisdom teeth out in a few weeks. i am dreading the event.

Cat's on your lap Patrick? ohlala.

By Czarina on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 08:51 am:

I've bit my tongue in reference to Ophelia's post.

By pez on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 12:48 pm:

i have never had any wisdom teeth. i will never have any wisdom teeth. they're simply not there. so pbth! i stick out my tongue at you poor bastards that have to deal with wisdom teeth!

By The Watcher on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 03:35 pm:

pez when I was a teenager we used to say never trust anyone over twenty.

Then when most of my generation went to college it became never trust anyone over thirty.

Shortly after the "leaders" of my generation hit about twentyfive they started to shut up.

I wonder why???

By The Watcher on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 03:46 pm:

Ophelia,

Don't worry about your wisdom teeth. If you've got a good oral surgion you won't know a thing.

Can anyone explain if your having surgery or a tooth extraction - one of the first things they do is hand you a paper that says " Don't sign any legal document immeadiately after the procedure do to the anesthetic" Then they want you to sign everthing after the procedure including a check.

Don't you just love it.

By Platypus on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 06:48 pm:

Yeah, but when you sign the document, it says the doctor isn't liable if he severs a nerve or something...I know someone who is partially parylized in the face because of her wisdom teeth. Any doc can do it...accidents happen.

I know you wanted to hear that, Ophelia.

By wisper on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 07:18 pm:

hey Ophelia, do you really need to get them
    out? many people don't.

Of course, i'm only saying that because i hate
    the idea of dental surgery in general. My teeth
    are a mess because when i was 16 i told the
    orthodontist: "Take this metal shit out of my
    mouth and go fuck yourself"
    Of course my mouth was filled with blood at
    the time, having just had my permanent
    retainer explode while i was eating.
    Since then i demand the statistics of every
    sadistic thing the evil money hog dental
    industry wants to put me through. And if
    whatever they decide the "problem" is won't kill
    me, i'm out of there.

Really, grill your dentist about it. Save
    thousands.

By eri on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 08:20 pm:

I definately had no choice, and I waited to get my wisdom teeth out. Dumb move on my part. It was hell. Two of my wisdom teeth were fully impacted and had to be chipped out piece by piece. Then I got a horrible case of dry socket. My own fault. I smoked after surgery. When I quit smoking for a couple of weeks, then I got better. I waited until I was all but too old, and then I smoked. If I had done it 11 years earlier like I was supposed to, I wouldn't have had these problems.

I was lucky, I never had problems with my braces, although I do need to get them again because my teeth are going back.

I have been thinking about looking into those plastic retainer things they advertise on television, but who knows. It isn't on the top of my priority list.

Good luck with the oral surgery.

By heather on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 08:25 pm:

never had braces but my teeth were mostly ok

my teeth are going funny now

one canine is getting all snaggle-tooth along with the crescent shaped chip in the bottom

i kinda like it

By eri on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 09:03 pm:

I wish my teeth were OK. I gave Buckey Beaver a run for his money. At least I wore my retainers afterwards and it has taken 15 years for them to start heading in a bad direction. Part of it was because I didn't get my wisdom teeth pulled and they pushed them back. Again, my own stupidity.

Now I see Hayley doing the same things. I wonder how many teeth she will have to have pulled before she gets braces. Poor kid.

By semillama on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 09:00 am:

Ain't evolution great? Fits and starts is what
    it's all about.

I didn't have my wisdom teeth removed
    because my dentist said it loked like I had
    room for them. I must be an evolutionary
    throwback or something. I have had one
    removed because of a big ass cavity though,
    it's hard to clean back there.

which reminds me, now that I have insurance,
    i should go to the dentist, it's been a while.

By Spider on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 09:22 am:

1. Heather, if your canine has a crescent-shaped chip at the bottom, it could be that you're grinding your teeth when you sleep. One of mine has such a chip for such a reason.

2. About 5 years ago, my dentist told me all four of my wisdom teeth were impacted and they'd have to come out. My dad took me to my orthodontist for a second opinion. None of my wisdom teeth were impacted. They were slightly crooked, but not in such a way that they were a danger. We determined that my jerk of a dentist just wanted the money for pulling them.

My orthodontist also said that if you are missing your wisdom teeth, there is no way to wire your jaw shut, should you ever break your jaw. You might not think you are at risk for such an injury, but you never know when you'll get in a car accident.

By eri on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 11:12 am:

If you don't need them out then, why do it?
    In my case, they were definately impacted and pushing my other teeth around, so I did it. My mouth is very crouded and I have had a total of 9 teeth removed so far. I just didn't have room. Funny huh, for someone with such a big mouth, I don't have enough room for my teeth :)

By Czarina on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 11:28 am:

I had mine out,and it hurt.

But,I'm vain,and I like my teeth. I smile alot.

And eat alot,too.

So mine are pretty functional.

By heather on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 01:44 pm:

i don't think i grind my teeth

for this particular chip i was just pushing on my upper teeth with my lower teeth. i used to do it as a kid- push back and forth on my teeth

By J on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 03:17 pm:

I had all my wisdom teeth out,the bottom 2 they had to cut in my gums and dig them out,thank God for pain pills.

By pamela on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 12:55 am:

When I was 15 I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed. They weren't even fully formed yet at that time, but the roots were just barely touching the nerves and I was starting to experience pain. They had to break through the bone to get to them. I couldn't talk for about a week. I picked up sign language though. Of course, I am like eri when it comes to the extremely crowded mouth. Before I got my braces, I had teeth behind teeth. It was scary.

I miss my braces. I had fun with them. I played them up. I would get all the wacky colors and wear neon colored bands. It was like jewelry for my teeth. I want to get them again. They were fun.

By the way Ophelia, when I had the surgery to get my wisdom teeth removed, I wasn't even completely under. I had an IV and was pretty drugged, but I was still awake (sort of). I didn't feel any pain, but I did feel lots of pressure. I don't remember the pain being that bad.

Spider, why wouldn't a doctor be able to wire a person's jaw shut without wisdom teeth? That seems odd for it to be impossible to do without wisdom teeth since so many people get theirs taken out... I hope I never need to do so.

By Nate on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 01:58 am:

theoretically an orthodontist would have more money to gain by someone who left their wisdom teeth in when they should come out.

By Goodbye on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 08:26 am:

hello

By Spider on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 09:30 am:

It didn't work that way in practice. I've still got my teeth, my teeth are straight, and I haven't seen the orthodontist since then.

By Fetidbeaver on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 10:29 am:

jaws with no wisdom teeth can easily be wired. i've seen it done.

By Nate on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 10:56 am:

you're a psych major, spider. tell me again how your one case proves your point.

and let the medical people here prove mine.

By patrick on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 11:27 am:

i have crooked teeth.

i spent 4-5 years dealing with a hairy-chested, gold-chain wearing porsche driving orthodontist. I had everything from a humiliating full mouth piece called a "frankel", to braces, retainers and medieval head gear.

My brace "therapy" was brought to an abrupt end because of a miscalculated mistake on the orthodontist's part, ultimately loosing the business.

I was to wear my headgear, at night, while i slept. Unfortunately, 3 or mmore nights out of the week i would take it off in my sleep. Seems normal right? Well this was a set back to my "program" and i got scolded every 2 weeks when i visited that cocksucker. He then started roping my mom into the scolding/guilt-tripping sessions. He went to far.

My mom, a single mom, forking over big bucks to do this for her lanky, wirey, smart-assed, yet loveable son was becoming a bit tiresome. Finally I was "with the program or without braces" She couldnt afford for me to prolong the "program" any longer. Ripppppp!!!!!! off came the braces, in came a retainer to ease my teeth from the shock and as a result my bottom front teeth have pushed together.

I have my wisdom teeth but the crowding was not caused by them. It was there before they came.

My beauty mark. My scar, if you will.

Im dying to know how many of those hottie assistance this pimp of an orthodontist was screwing.

By agatha on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 11:47 am:

the teeth between my two bottom canine teeth are all on top of each other and crookedy. i push on them and run my tongue over them constantly. it probably makes me look developmentally disabled.

i also used to have a huge gap between my two front teeth, but my dentist snipped some thing in my gum up there and they sort of grew back together. there's still some space, but i can't spit water out of it like i used to.

By Spider on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 11:54 am:

Nate, my first name begins with the letter R. Remember that, please.

By eri on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 12:06 pm:

I can somewhat agree with Patricks horror story of braces. Fortunately my orthodontist wasn't a cocksucker driving a porche.

I had headgear, but then that didn't work, so I had neckgear as well. Along with the rubber bands. My teeth were all over the place. When all was said and done they were straight but went inward some. Now my bottom teeth are in front of each other and crooked. I asked a doctor once if I had one in the front pulled, would it help them, but he said no, and so did the next dentist I saw. I have some gapping on top but nothing like before. I just wish they were straight again.

I was out for my wisdom teeth surgery, they used an I.V. I stayed out about an hour longer than I was supposed to. Then I felt no pain. I was just fine until the dry socket kicked in. Like I said before, the problems I had were my own fault.

By Nate on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 12:48 pm:

"Nate, my first name begins with the letter R. Remember that, please."

wuh?

'wrong' starts with a W.

By Spider on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 12:51 pm:

I remembered that my brother had his wisdom teeth pulled - 2 on one side of his mouth. It was like a standard tooth extraction (local anesthesia) and he bled for a while afterwards.

I had braces for four years and four teeth pulled during that time. I had a crowded mouth, too -- when I was a kid, my two bottom front teeth erupted behind my baby teeth, and my two upper canines came down over the baby teeth.

By Nate on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 01:53 pm:

TELL ME WHAT YOU MEANT GODDAMNIT.,

By pamela on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 10:18 pm:

R for Retard???

not that I think you are retarded Rhiannon, I'm just trying to help him out...

By J on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 11:59 pm:

The best pick-up line I ever heard was "love your overbite",I did him.

By wisper on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 04:05 pm:

my mother still bothers me about telling off the
    orthodontists, who was in fact a nice guy, but
    in an industry that i still consider a
    scum-sucking one, leeching off the
    insecurities of people. If you can eat and
    chew, you're fine. "You have such horrible
    teeth..." she muses, and i remind her of the
    day when i was 12 that she took me to the
    dentist to have 6 teeth pulled at once, to make
    room for my retainer. The gas never really
    worked on me, i hated the smell, and i
    remember steady crying through the hours it
    took, sobbing now and then when the cracking
    and ripping noises got louder and i saw the
    chunks of blood that were on the tools they
    used. Honestly, how can these people sleep
    at night?

i figure anyone who cares what my teeth look
    like is someone i don't want to talk to anyway.

By TBone on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 07:46 pm:

My wisdom teeth have been on the move lately. It's been driving me insane. The pressure in my jaw makes me all tense and stressed out. My jaw doesn't seem to fit my head anymore.
    So a week from tomorrow, I'm getting them taken out. What movies/books/pastimes are good for spending a couple days home alone on painkillers?

By dave. on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 10:46 pm:

the sopranos were good for me when i was laid up.

By Lapis on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 01:23 am:

Start reading all the Harry Potter books at once.
    Learn to knit.

I dunno. If I'm not sleeping, then I'm usually walking around town. I'm not a real expert at occupying myself while laid up.

By agatha on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 01:23 am:

yeah, still don't much care for arguing. i read most of the bitchfests anyhow, and then feel dirty.

By semillama on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 09:48 am:

I only needed painkillers for the night after I got one wisdom tooth removed last year, and I watched WWE RAW on percocets. Fun, but after a while I couldn't hold my head up.

By Spider on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 11:56 am:

Get the DVD of the first season of MI-5 (aka "Spooks" in the UK). It's fantastic.

Emma Peel-era episodes of the Avengers are also entertaining.

By Antigone on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 02:29 pm:

Painkillers? PSHAW, TBone! I had a wisdom tooth out a couple of months ago. It cracked twice while being extracted. My pulse never got above 65bpm. I was back at work merrily coding within an hour.

Suck it up, man! Just rinse often and replace the gauze.

By TBone on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 03:01 pm:

I think I'm entitled to painkillers. Any excuse, man. Why go back to work if I can have a couple days off?
    And I'm getting all 4 out at once... and they's deep .

By semillama on Tuesday, March 9, 2004 - 03:28 pm:

yeah, I hear that anymore than one out, you're going to be hurting. I would just go one at a time again, but the cost, you know.

By moonit on Wednesday, March 10, 2004 - 02:29 am:

I'm having a hysterscopy and polliposomething next friday. I hate surgery. I hate anaesthetic. I love my medical insurance.

By V.v. on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 08:50 pm:

so just come through with a clean bill of health,and i musta admit, it,s kinda COOL to have medical insurance up to the hilt,mazetov tvarich.

By V.v. on Monday, March 15, 2004 - 09:59 pm:

SO can someone put the"L" in mazeltov,or can no one read Yiddish apart from me? (no insult intended to ya,all.).....BUT,one of my ex.Isreali army girl friends (she was in the six day war,picking up bits of Isreali soldiers from trees and bushes)would not be amused at my (normal for me)missspelling of a wonderfull hebrew word mostly used at jewish weddings when the cup is crushed underfoot,so that no other person can ever drink again from the marrige cup of the bride and groom that has bound them together forever...I think I see this for real in the movie Yentil,or was it Fiddler on the roof?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact