So You Want A Debate? Here's A Topic - Talk Amongst Yourselves...

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: So You Want A Debate? Here's A Topic - Talk Amongst Yourselves...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By R.C. on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 08:09 pm:

Long story short/I am going to be tested as a potential kidney donor from my friend in Boston/who just started dialysis a couple of weeks ago. Her kidneys are failing due to years of being a brittle diabetic. She hates the dialysis & says it really isn't helping. She says she's completely exhausted after each treatment (she goes 3x a week/4 hrs. per session) & has to sleep the rest of the day. I thought diaslysis was supposed to flush the impurities out of her blood the way her kidneys wd if they were healthy/& leave her feeling feel stronger & better after each treatment.

We were college roomates/& almost law school roomates. (I came to my senses after getting accepted & bagged law school to go out & make money.) And of all the people I hung w/in college/she's the only one who stayed in touch -- for nearly 20 years. She's already on the transplant waiting list/but that cd take years. If she can arrange for a live donation/she can get a new kidney much sooner.

We haven't seen each other since college but we talk on the phone regularly/& we used to write to each other before she lost her eyesight (another complication of the diabetes). Her health problems & her teaching schedule (she's a law school prof.) have prevented her from traveling much. By emotionally/we're as close as when we were pulling all nighters together & bitching abt the 9 month-long Boston winters.

My mom loves her/esp. becuz she's the onlynschool chum of mine who stayed in touch. Yet my own mother/a retired M.D. herself/is against my donating a kidney to save my friend's life!! What kind of shit is that!?

I haven't received the initial info package from her transplant coordinator yet/but I know it's major surgery/I know it it will involve several weeks recovery time/etc. From the little I know abt other kidney donors/once they recovered from the operation/their lives returned to normal w/out any negative side effetcs. If I have to cut way back on my drinking/so be it. Even if I have to quit altogether/I can accept that

I am EXTREMELY pissed that my Mom is not being more supportive abt this. The chances that I'll be a close enuf match to even be selected as a donor are very slim. (But this little voice inside me keeps telling me I *will* be a match/which is why I'm going to get tested.) But it seems to me as a mother/she of all people shd understand wanting to give the gift of life to someone you love -- even if they aren't a relative. (My friend is an only child. Her Mom is in poor health & her dad -- well/he wasn't there to raise her/so she isn't counting on him for anything.)

My Mom can't stop me/but I really wish she'd be more supportive. I haven't talked to my Da abt it yet. They're in Colorado skiing now/but I'lly & have a sit-down with them when they get back.

Do you guys think what I'm doing is 'ridiculous' & 'far too risky'? Or is Ma just being a selfish old biddy?

By heather on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 08:23 pm:

maybe your mom thinks that this new kidney won't do much to help this already frail and blind woman whose health seems to be deteriorating rapidly

therefore it might be a lot of risk for you and not much gain for her

By Cat on Friday, February 8, 2002 - 10:07 pm:

Mother's tend to react from a different place than other people. The invisible eternal umbilical cord.

I think you need to get that information and look over it carefully. Sit down with your mother and talk more. Recognise that she and your father will find it hard to be rational about it and be gentle with them. But ask them what they would do if the situation was reversed, and it was your kidneys that needed to be traded in.

I disagree with Heather about the friends's health deterioration being a factor. Just last week I was talking to a woman whose brother had died and the family had donated his organs. The "lungs", as she refers to the donor receivor, was bedridden and on his last breaths. Now he's living a normal life.

Admittedly, the diabetes sounds like it's winning the battle and probably will eventually prevail. But you could give her a bit more of a fighting chance and maybe some pain-free years.

And I suggest the doctors would not put her through a kidney transfer op unless they knew it would result in signficant life improvement.

You may lose a kidney, but what a lot you'll gain. How many of us get the chance to help save or prolong the life of someone we love?

By pez on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 02:41 am:

goodluck, rc.

your mom sounds like she's being overprotective and doesn't want you to get hurt, but shit, most mothers are that way and most of the time there is nothing you can do to change that.

it's not like you're donating your kidney to a complete stranger, this is a friend that you've known for 20 years and you will see how she's treating your kidney.

By Fetidbeaver on Saturday, February 9, 2002 - 03:56 am:

i understand your mom's concern. not to be harsh, but

(1) your friend may not like dialysis but it will keep her alive until a cadaver donor is available.

(2) this will be major surgery for BOTH of you.

(3) there is no guarantee that you will live thru the surgery.

(4) you can live with one kidney but what if you develope a medical problem and loose it.

(5) the debate continues. is diabetes an auto-immune disorder? if so then the chances of rejection greatly multiply.

(6) advanced diabetic complications combined with renal failure and then the need for life long anti-rejection drugs = poor prognosis.

(7) irreversible circulatory system damage from DM makes further complications such as CVA (stroke) likely. of all the renal transplant patient's i have cared for-only one lived for 7 years after transplant and she had a CVA during her 2nd year (post transplant). she then became confined to a feeding tube and nursing home. now i will admit that my patient's co-morbidity was high, but so is your friend's.

wanting to make this sacrifice is noble, but i doubt the potential gain is high enough to off-set the risk/loss. especially when you consider that she can live with dialysis and wait for a cadaver donor.

By R.C. on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 12:23 am:

I assume if the diabetes had made her too frail to get thru the surgery/her doctors wdn't have put her on the transplant list in the 1st place. Yes, she's also legally blind/but she is also completely ambulatory & mentally as sharp as a tack. Up until last month/she was teaching law school full-time & writing 2 articles for publication.

If I'm a match/I'm sure I'll have several long conversations with her doctors to examine all the pros & cons before they let me decide.

I know there's no guarantee I'll live thru the surgery. There's no guarantee anyone will live thru any major surgery. But there's no 'guarantee' I'll even live thru tonite. I've taken greater risks for much less significant reasons (skydiving/freebasing/racing in fast cars w/insane men) so the risk factor here isn't a deterrent.

Even if a new kidney only gives her 5 more years/if she gets 5 reasonably-healthy years/I think it's worth it. If I were in her shoes/I hope someone wd care enuf to do the same for me.

By Heelp on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 12:41 am:

Drink alot of booze,drink alot,if you feel shitty the next day,drink some more,if your bladder hurts,pee,then pee some more,then tell the nurse you are not well,then piss all over everything,then say you need a priest,and pee on him.

By Czarina on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 06:34 am:

I have to agree with Beav from a medical standpoint.

A mid-wife I worked with donated a kidney to her sister. It was a rough time for her. She was out of work for quite awhile. Both are doing well now.

Its a noble thought,and if you match,do what your heart tells you.

By sarah on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 12:23 pm:

from what i understand, the donor suffers more from the loss of the kidney than person who has kidney disease and gets the kidney. my dad's girlfriend's son needs a kidney and she might be the only match to donate. her information packet said it takes years to recover from being a donor, during which time the donors typically can be very ill.

this is not to say you shouldn't donate.

By semillama on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 12:48 pm:

It all comes down to this: What's worth more
    to you: your firend's life or your kidney and
    having better chances for good renal health
    for the rest of your life?

I know I have friends whom I would not do
    such a thing for, but then I have friends where
    I wouldn't think twice about it.

You'll make the right decision R. C.

By Fetibeaver on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 01:31 pm:

RC, it use to be the donor and the receiver had to go thru psychological eval/testing. lately i have seen more doctors who skip the much needed teaching and screening. both parties need to be FULLY educated and understand the risks/benefits. your friend can live with dialysis. her qaulity of life may improve, or not. your's will decline in the short-run. possibly permantly. if the doctors are too busy or don't answer every question fully for you, then grab your kidneys and run.

By R.C. on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 12:43 am:

Well said, Beaver. Who knows -- I may not be a match/so it will all be for naught anyway.

But I can live a decent life w/1 healthy kidney & I have 2. My friend will die/prolly sooner than later w/out a transplant.

By Czarina on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 01:11 am:

For the right price,I'd sale a kidney.

I'd even give my uterus away,for free.

By J on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 08:13 am:

I had a friend once,a beautiful girl named Jerry,she was thrown off a horse and the doctors removed her spleen.I remember she told me she didn't need a spleen,10 years later she had gotten married and had just had a baby when she got some kind of blood infection and died less than 24 hours after she was admitted to the hospital,her husband said she would have lived if she had had a spleen.

By R.C. on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 12:06 am:

She wd also have lived if she'd decided to adpot instead of having a baby.

So... there you go.

By Fb on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 12:19 am:

there's something more to the story. the spleen stores some blood and recycles old blood cells, not fight infection.

By heather on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 12:28 am:

the doctor lied to her husband so he wouldn't be sued

By Fb on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 12:32 am:

there may be more truth to that statement then one cares to believe

By J on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 01:18 am:

Beave,e-mail me,I'm so scared

By Soundadvice on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 02:06 am:

Drink alot of booze,drink alot,if you feel shitty the next day,drink some more,if your bladder hurts,pee,then pee some more,then tell the nurse you are not well,then piss all over everything,then say you need a priest,and pee on him.

By Fb on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 08:39 am:

j, i'll mail you in a few minutes

By J on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 11:04 am:

Check your e-mail,I just sent you a note to spill my guts out.This is the worst thing I've ever had to deal with.I forgot to tell you that even though my mother has all that money,she's not all there in the head,one of the reasons she's in as bad of shape as she is,is because she had an oxygen machine at home,but she didn't like to use it,then her insurance quit paying for all of it,she had to pay some of her own money for it so she had them take it away.She has also been starving herself,I had Meals on Wheels coming there,but after two weeks she accused me of trying to make her an invalid and discontinued the service,I guess the $2 dollars a day was too much for Ms.Miser.It's just a shame.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 04:00 pm:

RC remember one thing.

You can only donate one kidney while you are alive.

Is there anyone in your immeadiate family who - if they needed a kidney - you could or would donate to?

By Fb on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 05:16 pm:

j, check your box.....mail box that is

By R.C. on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:08 am:

My parents are quite a bit older than me/so I suspect they will kick before I do & won't need any of my organs. My Dad will be 77 in April. My Mom's 71. They're in good health/but I don't think they cd even get approved for an organ transplant at this point in their lives/shd the occasion arise.

I have 1 sibling/a brother/whom I have no real feelings for. Yes/we grew up in the same house with the same parents. No/he didn't sexually abuse me or do anything beyond the usual Little Brother Torture Tatics when we were kids. I've just never liked him/as a person. We were never close & I wdn't be willing to give him a kidney.

I don't believe - personally - in donating organs after I'm dead when I have no say in who gets them. I think the organ donation system is stacked against the poor & uninsured & non-White/so I refuse to let anyone harvest my organs after I die. And more importantly/being able to literally give the gift of live to someone I love while I'm alive to see them enjoy the benefits of an organ donation means a lot more to me than helping some stranger live long & prosper because of my death.

Hope has such a brilliant/beautiful mind. I fled academia after getting my B.A./chickened out after getting accepted @ Harvard Law & went off to make $$ (for a few years, anyway). Hope stayed @ Harvard & got her law degree. Instead of using it to make herself rich/she went on to work for Randall Robinson @ TransAfrica/then went on to teach & write articles about International Human Rights Law/Female Genital Mutilation -- important things people need to know abt in this Land of the Free.

She's got at least 2 great books in her -- one about Manley & what his leadership meant to Jamaica/& one abt the experiences of Jamaican immigrants in this country. All she needs is time.

If I can give her that time/& still have a kidney left that will let me function normally in the world/that's what I want to do.

By heather on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 06:22 am:

"I think the organ donation system is stacked against the poor & uninsured & non-White/so I refuse to let anyone harvest my organs after I die. And more importantly/being able to literally give the gift of live to someone I love while I'm alive to see them enjoy the benefits of an organ donation means a lot more to me than helping some stranger live long & prosper because of my death."

many people seem to have an opinion similar to this, and i think it's just ignorant and selfish [i don't mean to attack you, rc, although i'm sure it seems like it]

maybe the problem is that too many people feel that way

if everyone who could donated [after death], there would probably be more than enough for anyone in need

same with everything else for that matter

but damn, if you don't need it, can't possibly use it- what's the point of holding on to it?

By spunky on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 09:08 am:

You know what I think?
    I think if there is an "important" person in need of a heart/kidney/lung transplant, and you are in the hospital, not doing so very well, and you signed an organ doaner card, and your blood type matched this "VIP", you just cut your chances of survival by about 75%.

By eri on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 09:36 am:

I am not a organ donor, because I am afraid that if I were in some horrible accident, my chances of surviving would be less for the very same reasons that my husband stated. It is just a fear.

I would, though, give an organ to someone I loved if they needed it and I could do it. I have already had to face that possiblity twice. Once, when my grandmother was in the hospital. (That would be when she was in Baptist honey and they wanted her on dialysis 8 hrs a day 5 days a week). And once for my aunt. It turned out that my cousin was a match, but she mysteriously passed away before the transplant could happen.

I am torn on this issue as I think about it. I mean, my aunt was one of the most inspirational people I have ever known, and she needed a heart and lungs transplant. I obviously couldn't do that for her. It would have to be someone who passed. It would have to be someone who passed recently (I assume) if the heart were to work in her body. So on the whole thing I am torn.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 11:23 am:

"and your blood type matched this "VIP", you just cut your chances of survival by about 75%."

maybe Im missing something here.

what does your blood type, while in a hospital, after an accident, have to do with organ donation?

you're right heather.

anyone who is not an organ donor should be ashamed...the selfish bastards.

By droopy on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 11:31 am:

donated organs have to be of the same or compatible blood type. he is suggesting that if this dying guy has a compatible organ for the vip, they would probably let the guy die.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 11:33 am:

like heather said....ignorance and selfish.

possibly even paranoid.

By spunky on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 11:39 am:

Paranoid?
    Maybe. Too many "Coma" books I imagine.
    Selfish?
    Not really. My heart is not in good shape as it is, I smoke so I doubt anyone would want my lungs, and with the pills I have to take to sleep, I sure would not want my own damn kidneys.
    Ignorant? I am not going to even bother with that one.

By spunky on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 11:40 am:

Robin Cook? Ever read him? I realize Coma was a Creighton work, but if you read too many Robin Cooks, you wont go anywhere near a hospital

By patrick on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 11:45 am:

"Selfish? Not really. My heart is not in good shape as it is, I smoke so I doubt anyone would want my lungs, and with the pills I have to take to sleep, I sure would not want my own damn kidneys."

well, doctors would best be able to make this determination. so yeah, its selfish.

By heather on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 11:55 am:

you also probably wouldn't have these fears if you knew that everyone donated and that there was plenty to go around. but instead, no one has enough and yeah, the guys with the most pull will be the ones to find a way to get what they need in some situations.

in a way, you are creating the problem you are afraid of.

you are also condoning a situation that might leave someone you love with no options past waiting to die.

By spunky on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 12:16 pm:

Possibly

By The Watcher on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 12:30 pm:

I'm not one to donate either.

It just freaks me out.

My wife would donate. But, she is definately inelligable because of her MS. Although she has made arangements for a research project.

By Czarina on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 12:36 pm:

Isn't this where the black market organ dealers enter the plot?

By spunky on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 12:42 pm:

Who told?

By patrick on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 12:53 pm:

"It just freaks me out."

it used to freak me out too.

but then i came to realize what an ignorant notion that was.

that there was nothing to freak out about because im dead.

stop being a pussy watcher.

By spunky on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 12:55 pm:

I dunno about you, Pat but I like watching pussy.
    as long it is my wifes, that is

By patrick on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 12:56 pm:

liar

By spunky on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 01:00 pm:

which part?

By patrick on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 01:42 pm:

"as long it is my wifes, that is"

By Czarina on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 01:52 pm:

I've been working on this theory.I realize it still has a few bugs to be worked out,but think it would be beneficial to society,in general.

I call it my :

Organ Prison Procurement Program [OPPP]

Its quite simple,really.We have scads of prisoners,who we are housing and clothing etc,at an enormous cost to the tax payers.

What if we could make them more "beneficial",or useful,to society?

Implement a level program.The first level being the worst,[for the prisoner].This would be the total organ level.If the prisoners data matches up with little Suzy Smith,and she needs a heart,or liver,or something a person has only one of,I say we've got a donar.

This would be incentive for prisoners to behave themselves,to try and move up to level 2.Level 2 would be a "2 organ" level.Meaning we could only take 1 of something a person has 2 of ,like a kidney or lung.

There could be optimal levels,like where all you could get would be maybe a cornea.

Lots of incentives to behave,and to the bleeding heart liberals,I'd just have to say that maybe that prisoner should of thought of his liver before whacking poor granny on the head with an ax to steal her $30.00

Theres a few bugs,but it could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

By spunky on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 01:55 pm:

HERE HERE!!!

By eri on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 01:57 pm:

What exactly are you trying to say Patrick? Are you saying that my husband likes watching it elsewhere, or that he doesn't like mine?

By spunky on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 01:57 pm:

obviously you have never seen my wife's, which is good

By patrick on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 02:04 pm:

um yeah

anyway

what im saying is, if the boy says "i dont like looking at any cooch that isnt my wife's" he's a liar.

By eri on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 02:44 pm:

So then you are an expert on what cooch men like to look at? More specifically, you are an expert on my husbands likes and dislikes? Sometimes Patrick, you can talk a lot of shit for someone who doesn't know shit.

By spunky on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 02:49 pm:

Patrick, I just took that liar comment as a joke.
    I can honestly say that I really have become a spoiled brat, and REALLY picky.
    I find most women un-actractive except for Eri

By patrick on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 02:52 pm:

oh eri don't be so puritanical. to think his biological nature to look ceases at the alter is silly.

By Fetidbeaver on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 02:53 pm:

jeepers, patrick's on track today.
    men are visual animals and enjoy looking till the day they die. as far as the whole organ conspiracy thing....hahahaha....and i'm getting regular anal probings from the alens in the mother-ship. i've seen the medical system and it is not competent nor sophisticated enough to pull off a conspiracy of this magnitude. i also get tired of the same old "story" of minorities the indigent dying while the rich get wonderful care, BULLSHIT, i've seen it go both ways with race and social status having nothing to do with it. weak excuses for maintaiing ignorance.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 02:55 pm:

and trace cut the crap....you look at dirty pictures. im not questioning your desire or lack of of thereof for other woman.

just that to say you "don't like looking" is poop.

By Fb on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 02:56 pm:

p.s. a smart man says the right thing around his woman. keep up the good work spunky.......i gotta vomit now, excuse me.

By eri on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 02:57 pm:

It depends on what "looking" is. I don't have the desire to look at other naked men. Either way, Patty, you actually succeeded in hurting my feelings and belittling me. Thanx. Have I ever made any comments about your wife showing off your johnson? Have I ever said anything that would be belittling to you in that aspect? No, I haven't. Get the hint?

By Fb on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 03:04 pm:

i don't know what patrick's intentions were, but, get real. one thing i like about coming here is i can say what i want without caring what people know or think about me. if your wife, family, friends or co-workers come here i wonder how open and honest you can be. perfect example is your wife's now hurt feelings.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 03:10 pm:

There's little you could say that would belittle me that way and Im failing to see exactly what is belittling here.

My wife and I are honest with each other. If i were to say to her, "yeah, i don't like looking at naked women on HBO anymore" she'd laugh her ass off. She also wasn't complaining when we watched the Pillow Book seeing Ewen MacGregor's wang and butt nor would she complain to see Jude Law's schlong on the TV.

Its that kind of crap (denial of the wife, lying of the husband) that gets couples in unncessary trouble because neither has been honest with the other.

otherwise don't shoot the messenger. I haven't belittled you.

as usual i've probably said too much on this so i'll let it alone.

By spunky on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 03:20 pm:

Eri, I am not defending Patrick, but....

One common phrase is "Hey, I'm married, not dead".

Looking at a scantily clad females, and
    staring at a cooch when you are married are
    two different subjects altogether.

Now, looking at scantily clad females/males while with s/o and grunting or comparing them to your S/O is suicide at best.

I have been known to, and caught, looking at another female, but watching porno in a dark room by yourself is another matter entirely.

By Cat on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 04:12 pm:

*cough*

*cough*

Too funny, Spunky.

Somebody stop me!

By eri on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 04:38 pm:

Patrick, why is it so hard to believe that someone actually doesn't have an interest in looking at others schlongs or coochies? Seriously. I am not saying that that means you can't look at all, but come to our house. No porno movies, no magazines, no nudie pics. I am not saying that my husband doesn't look at other women, he just doesn't look at their coochies. It isn't dishonesty. I have no desire to see anyone else's schlong. Not Jude Law or Brendan Fraser, or anyone elses. It isn't lying. It isn't a lack of honesty in the marriage. What I find attractive in the opposite sex has nothing at all to do with their ass or schlong. By insinuating that my cooch (as you put it) isn't enough to satisfy my husband, is a direct belittling of my body.

You did compare this to you and your wife's relationship. That is very different from ours. We communicate just fine. What we find attractive in the opposite sex is different.

C'mon, you didn't think we were just like everyone else did you?

By Dougie on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 04:58 pm:

Pix, eri, pix! We need pix to see why the spunkster only has spunk for you.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:00 pm:

"By insinuating that my cooch (as you put it) isn't enough to satisfy my husband"

i didnt comment on this at all, and would'nt.

you assume because he looks that you aren't enough which is a denial of biology and an illogical insecurity.

my wife looks, i look. its human nature. Im not threatened by these looks nor is she. Do i think i am "not enough to satisfy" because she looks? No way. Nor does she. What keeps those looks from becoming anything more is our intellectual committment to each other. I made no comment about your intellectual committment and won't.

to think trace isn't looking at other women's bodies is denial on your part and a lie on his. sorry but, please, get your head out of the clouds.

im sorry, i wanted to let this go, but that first part was just too absurd to not address.

By semillama on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:05 pm:

I can't believe Patrick didn't go off on the whole
    prisoner/organ donor thing.

So here's why it's a bad idea: You get one
    innocent guy in there and the whole thing is
    fucked. What are you going to do, give the
    organ back?

Plus, what offenders would have their organs
    stolen? Rapists? murderers? guys who got
    busted for dope? Political prisoners?

And what about the fact that the prison
    population as a whole is overrepresented by
    black men? So you'll have a whole population
    with only one kidney? And hey, since our
    prisons are now organ farms, why not
    increase the number of crimes that are
    considered felonies? Didn't pay your taxes?
    THere goes your spleen!

It sounds funny, but forget it, this ain't China.

By Dougie on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:08 pm:

The trick is how long to look. A fleeting glance is fine. A staring contest with your tongue out and drool running down your chin is not. I usually make a joke out of it too -- if my girlfriend's checking out some buff guy at the beach, I say, "Want me to go kick his ass for you?" If she catches me, I say, "She had something green in her teeth and I just couldn't look away, like at a traffic accident."

By patrick on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:12 pm:

i totally skipped that sem as i think subjecting prisoners to organ donation would easily, without a doubt (well Antony Scalia and his lap dog Clarence Thomas may disagree) the Supreme Court would rule that practice as cruel and unusual punishment.

By Dougie on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:12 pm:

You kids are probably too young to remember, but anybody ever see that e-mail that was floating around like 6 or 7 years ago saying to beware in hotels, that people were waking up in bathtubs of ice with a note saying, "Your kidneys were just harvested, the emergency squad will be here soon. Do not move and you will be fine." Or some such nonsense?

By spunky on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:14 pm:

That was an urban legend.
    Now, in Los Angeles, at Kaiser hospitals,
    people were waking up finding that needles had been stuck in their pupils

By Trace on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:22 pm:

BTW
    I would REALLY appreciate it you would stop trying to make this out into I am cheating on my wife kind of thing, for the love of GOD.
    I do not get off on looking at other "cooches".
    Really. I do admit an occasional glance at
    a girl here and there, no lingering, mouth breathing, drooling STARES, but a glance maybe.
    I do not sit in front of my PC downloading porn, I do not buy JUGS, or rent Debbie Does Everybody.
    I think most women in porn are old used up hags with butt ass ugly tits.
    Seriously. I liked that shit from the time I was 12 to about 26 (yes, up to TWO years AFTER I got married), but since then I got BORED with it.
    I never ment to start this shit up. I was making a joke playing off of Patrick's words, and this has really gotten out of hand.
    I enjoy a good intellectual debate, but jesus, this is ASSININE.
    Continue being adults please, and MOVE ON.

By droopy on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:28 pm:

i just now noticed that i have a nasty-looking burn on the lower part of my stomach. it's a quarter-sized dark purple mark surrounded by a larger field of red, puffy skin. i must've rested the cop of hot tea i was drinking this morning against my stomach. one organ of mine that no one will ever find a use for is my brain.

By Trace on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:33 pm:

Now that I think about it, the most captivating part of a woman is from the shoulders on up.
    Her eyes. Not necessarily the color, but the light. That, combined with her hair, facial structure, skin tone, and where her neck meets the shoulders.
    I mean this, make what ever "cough cough, yea right" comments you want, but those are the best physical qualities Erin has.
    Her smile.
    six years since we started dating, and I am more in love with her now then I was the day we got married.

By Dougie on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:35 pm:

Yeah, but she's got a killer cooch, right?

By Cat on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:39 pm:

Trace, on Thursday, August 17, 2000 at 12:42 pm you told us you enjoyed looking at pornography.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. Nor is it cheating on your wife to enjoy looking at other women.

By eri on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:41 pm:

Dougie, for you I might just have to break my no nudity contract :) You make me laugh.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:51 pm:

trace no one is saying anyone is cheating on anyone.

looking does NOT equal cheating and if it is, well your values are wack.

jesus christ people...have some confidence in the one you married.

see how religion and american christian puritanism can fuck with people's heads?

By patrick on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:54 pm:

oh and cat.....

im looking at your cooch.

By Cat on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 06:09 pm:

If I'd known you were looking at my cooch, I would have watered it and had it mowed.

By eri on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 06:28 pm:

Cat, in the past 6 months he has thrown out all of the porn himself. The issue wasn't "looking" at other people, but rather parts of people. This is where I get bugged. But then again, the reason it never goes beyond looking isn't because of an "intellectual commitment" to my husband. There is a lot more to our relationship than that. I have no desire for anyone else. Bottom line. Then again, this has all been on a sexual plane, and there are a lot more important things in our marriage then sex. That is just a perk.

Think my christian puritanical head is in the clouds all you want. In then end it is you I feel sorry for.

By Dougie on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 06:38 pm:

Hot damn. Fire away, Eri!

You too, Cat!

By Cat on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 06:39 pm:

Whatever blows your panties off.

No need to get all snooty, Eri. I don't make a judgment call on people who prefer not to view pornography.

I get all extra spicy when I watch porn with my partner. But then I'm just a bad bad girl.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 06:47 pm:

hell is keeping a seat warm for me.

my wife shops for porn with me.

she picks up my nudie mags when dusting.

men looking at dirty parts is perfectly healthy.

im glad i don't have any christian guilt to prompt me to throw out my porn. what a waste. but then again, its that christian guilt prompting men to throw out their porn, so the next 14 year old boy can find it in the trash and take it to his treehouse.

if it isnt an intellectual committment that keeps it going for more than a look then what is it? chains? electro-shock therapy? did you not make a committment of words at the altar?

Reply-to: millenico@earthlink.net

From: "Nico M*******" <millenico@earthlink.net> | Block Address | Add to Address Book

To: "patrick" <accustat@yahoo.com>

Subject: RE:

Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:38:32 -0800

wha? you're weird patrick m*******.

love
    nico

re:

im looking at big hot hairy poon on
    the internet

love
    patrick

By eri on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 07:04 pm:

Who said anything about guilt?

Either way, have you ever considered something deeper than a mere intellectual relationship? There is always romance and passion and love, but also friendship and a spiritual connection. Much more than words. Have you ever had the feeling that if you lost your spouse you could never be involved with anyone else again? Not guilt. That strong of a connection. To actually have a soul mate.

I don't make judgement calls on people who choose to look at pornography. It is people who condemn those who don't and blame it on christianity or whatever that get me. People who aren't willing to consider a simple difference. I wasn't into pornography long before I became a christian. I simply don't enjoy it and have no desire to see it. Other people naked does nothing for me. I am much more into a sensuality and touching that you just can't get from a movie or a magazine or a picture. Doesn't make any sense that after almost 6 years, my husband is getting into the same things as me. Must be guilt. Must be denial. Couldn't be he actually likes something different.

By Cat on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 07:45 pm:

The term "soul mate" makes me want to hurl continously for hours.

Intellectual connection is everything to me. Minds intermingling and rubbing cosily up against each other, laughing happily at shared thoughts...now I'm starting to get hot.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 08:03 pm:

last month i got so baked by eating 3 space brownies...i had a bit of a freak out.

a slight one, because i know all along its just the pot.

i swear to god ive never been that high.

i was laying on the bed spinning and petting stars and repeating "no one ever dies from pot" over and over and nico came in to lay with me.

we talked and she stroked my back. she said "pretend we're in a teepee, and we're out on the prairie and we'll call you Eating Grass."

She got the native indian name "Red Canyon" and we just laughed and giggled and made this whole story up about Eating Grass eating too many roots again and getting all messed up in the teepee and having to have Red Canyon calm him down, so on and so forth.

in this instance, we were just giggling and playing and laughing and i forgot all about being high as a kite.

THIS is I think what you mean cat, and yes, the term soulmate is a wretched one...something never uttered in my house.

to her, i am her "familiar".

im still looking at your coochie.

By Cat on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 08:08 pm:

Cooch is a term for a type of grass here, Eating Grass.

By droopy on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 08:17 pm:

here too.

By Cat on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 08:23 pm:

Patrick, you should show Trace and Eri your homegrown porn pix. They were really bloody sexy.

By semillama on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 08:30 pm:

What if there was a telegram inthe cooch for
    you trace? Would you read it?

Cat, I think it's nice that you would keep the
    garden gnomes and cement deer up when
    people are looking at your mowed and
    watered cooch.

By Cat on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 08:39 pm:

I really need a gardener. ;)

What kind of porn works for you, Sem? You just don't seem the type to get off on "Hooray for Huge Hooters" like Trace.

By semillama on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 10:00 pm:

I like cooches.

Seriously, I like non-enhanced women. If it's
    plainshe's been siliconed, that's a turn off. I
    like small breasts. I really like a good pair of
    hips.

I really like humorous porn, such as
    Blackman.

What do you like?

By Cat on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 11:06 pm:

Um...I don't like really fake looking waxed bronzed boys. They always seem too gay to have hot dirty monkey sex with.

I like fucking porn more than just some lame guy standing alone. Especially nice oral shots. The exception was this video of a guy coming all over a girl wearing glasses. The come on her glasses was too funny.

By dave. on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 12:14 am:

what is it about being in a relationship that makes people think they can own someone else's orgasm? it's just an orgasm. it shouldn't require permission. it's like taking a leak or eating a cupcake. a moment of pleasant relief and satisfaction.

and what is with the hypocrisy of guys jacking off being gross and threatening while women who diddle themselves are empowered and liberated and even sexy?

people are so uptight.

By agatha on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 02:54 am:

amen.

By Fetidbeaver on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 09:41 am:

i was sent to catholic school after 4th grade to "straighten me out" (didn't work). i remember the high school priest checking out the girls. we said to him, "father you're not supposed to be doing that" and his reply was, "just because i'm on a diet, doesn't mean i can't read the menu".

By Antigone on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 11:24 am:

Love is a form of obsession.

Obsession can lead to jealousy and thoughts of ownership.
    Thus, orgasm ownership.

Reminds me of my favorite spoonerism, an Oldsmobile promotion I once saw, advertising an "Owner's Bonus" plan.

By patrick on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 11:41 am:

you could possibly argue beav the catholic church breeds sex criminals with that ridiculous vow of celibacy. but i won't.

i have an inkling for vintage porn. the fact they were being so bloody nasty when it was so damned taboo kinda gets my goat. Further, there really wasnt a porn industry back then per se, so what you see are often stag films and homemade crap. You can watch them and be like "hey nice lamp" or "nice t-bird" and then be amazed that they knew what ass sex was back then.

cat if trace and eri want to see our sex pics, they can surely ask.

"and what is with the hypocrisy of guys jacking off being gross and threatening while women who diddle themselves are empowered and liberated and even sexy?"

males are shamed for sexual expression from childhood.

why is the female body revered as sensual where as the male body revered something akin to a lawn mower (in keeping with theme)?

By sarah on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 11:55 am:

i think everyone has a few soul mates. i have platonic soul mates of both sexes. granted, not a lot of them, but there are a few. you know it's a soul mate... there's a certain connection, an ineffable or peculiar type of intimacy. an understanding.

regarding porn:

porn does not appeal to me whatsoever, and not for any moral or ethical reasons. i'm not repulsed by it nor intrigued. even by "arty" porn or whatever it wants to call itself. believe me, i've tried to enjoy it, but the asthetic simply does not appeal to me.

imagination is much more powerful than any movie or magazine or pictures i could look at.

By eri on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 12:13 pm:

Exactly my point on porn. It simply holds nothing of intrigue for me. Saw it, tried it, didn't care.

By Eating Grass on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 12:33 pm:

so trace why did you throw out all the porn bucko?

By Pilate on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 12:36 pm:

I was also sent to Catholic school to straighten me out (boy, did that ever fail). While there, I got molested by a man of the cloth.

And the male body IS at a low premium in the porn world. Why does Hustler and every other jackoff rag have photos of nude women getting it on, but not nude guys? It's unfair, you know. Very unfair.

By patrick on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 12:40 pm:

pilate...my company publishes what you are looking for (not to sound like a shameless promoter). the magazine "[2]" is like a hustler for gay men without actual penetration and come shots.

By Fetidbeaver on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 12:42 pm:

aaaahhhh.....maybe.....could it be.....possibly...more than likely because they are catering to the straight male porn consumer.....maybe not, it's just my theory

By J on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 12:45 pm:

Isn't playgirl still around? I use to buy them for Brucifer all the time.

By Brucifier on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 12:49 pm:

HEY BITCH! WHAT YOU TALKIN' ABOUT?!

By Pilate on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 12:53 pm:

I'm not REALLY clueless about why porn is marketed that way. It's more of a theoretical question. Let me put it another way: why are "lesbian" (yeah, right) couples promoted in straight male mags when "gay" couples are not promoted in porn mags for women? What is it about seeing two women together that is so much more socially acceptable than seeing two men in the same situation?

As for porn, I'm really not all that into it. I've got a hottie at home so the porn's pretty boring by comparison. I let Oswald keep a few mags, though. He mostly seems to use them for laughs. He and his buddies find them hilarious.

By Sprayvacc on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 12:57 pm:

Because we men, for unkown reasons, get off watching chicks munch each others' carpet.

By heather on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 12:59 pm:

men and women often like different things

looking- i could take it or leave it.

reading, i like.

By Pilate on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 01:03 pm:

Speak for yourself, Vac.

Women's bodies are aesthetic. But God knows, so are men's.

As for porn, it's often just silly. I'd rather have the real thing.

By trace on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 01:08 pm:

"All the porn"? there was maybe 3 magazines I threw away a year ago when my two year old learned how to get into my sock drawer, and she found one. The one tape I threw away when we moved because I had not watched it in over a year, why move it?
    The two or three magazines I had were filled with older women with fake boobies pretending to be teenagers when you could see the bags under their eyes.
    The stories that were in them were all the same ones, just retold in different fashion.
    You ever go to Taco Bell and look at the menu?
    For the most part, it is just meat, beans, cheese, and lettuce either put in a soft flour tortilla, or over chips or in a taco shell. Throw sour cream and hot sauce over it all you want, it is still the same ol' same ol. It tastes the same, no matter what. It gets old.
    You seen one porno tape, you have seen them all.
    You read one porno mag, you've read them all.
    It gets old and dull and even stupid after a while.
    You just get sick of it.
    That is what happened with me and porn.
    I did not get up on some high moral horse, or some weird Christian trip (anyone who knows anyhing about me knows I cannot stand anybody dictating to me how I should act or think, just ask Erin)
    I

By Innocent_Bystander on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 01:08 pm:

this thread went from organ donation to given'em your organ.....

By spunky on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 01:35 pm:

I am still not donating my organs, dead or alive

By J on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 01:37 pm:

I'm trying to get someone to donate some hot organ loving to my favorite charity me,anybody want to give away their "Johnson" organ, e-mail me at janny@sorabji.com for details,all offers will be seriously considered.

By Fetidbeaver on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 01:45 pm:

in what condition? mine has that used but comfortably broke in feeling

By J on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 01:57 pm:

No offer will be refused:)All conditions, shapes and sizes.

By J on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 03:18 pm:

Give me your tired,your poor,your broken organs...

By Czarina on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 03:52 pm:

Four score,and twenty organs ago..........

By no one on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 04:00 pm:

Ah, this string has broken down to the eventual
    end of all strings in Sorabjiland.
    Reproductive organs being removed and shoved elsewhere.
    Order has been restored.
    All is well with the world

By Fb on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 04:31 pm:

thank God we're back to "normal"

By semillama on Thursday, February 21, 2002 - 05:03 pm:

Anyone seen the organs episode of Invader
    ZIM?

ARGH! MY Squiggely-Spooge!

By R.C. on Saturday, February 23, 2002 - 11:38 pm:

Look, my organs belong to ME/so I don't think it's selfish to refuse to give them away to strangers after I'm gone. It's no different than refusing to leave yr crib to the homeless when you die.

If someone needs a kidney/then one of yr friend's or relatives shd offer to donate one - dontcha think? Isn't that what familial love & friendship & all that stuff are abt? Funny how a person's own family members can refuse to give an organ & that's never construed by others as 'selfish'. Yet people who refuse to sign away their parts after they die are looked down on by complete strangers. It makes no sense.

The organ donation system in America is one market where I believe that the ability to pay for something shd translate into one's right to have it. I wish the feds wd get off their ethical high horse & allow private enterprise to set up an organs-for-sale system where the rich cd go & flat-out buy a kidney, etc. from someone willing to sell theirs to the highest bidder.

BUT - the availability of said enterprise shd also require that anyone making more than, say $500k , wd be forced off the national transplant lists & wdn't be allowed to go the usual route to obtain an organ.

Granted/there aren't scores of rich bastards waiting for organ transplants. But if we cd remove Larry Hagman & folks of that ilk from the mix & let them go the free enterprise route/I think there wd be a lot more faith & trust in the organ donation system than there is now.

When I read in Reader's Digest a few years ago abt how the governor of PA got a triple-organ transplant/I decided then & there that I wd never let my organs be donated to a stranger after my death.

By patrick on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 12:01 pm:

im not sure i see any relevance associating any kind of class stature with organ donation. humans are humans. whether they are rich or not, it really doesnt matter. the class divide that you seem obssessed with RC, that seems to govern your behavior to an extent, in the end seems really pointless.

you're dead you're dead.

be fertilizer so a flower can grow if you like or donate an organ so someone can live and maybe go on to impact the earth the way you have, who cares whats in their bank account.

these things have a way of coming back around so to speak. to deny we are all one, that our energies just don't dissipate, that what you do dead or alive can have an impact, for the positive. its just seems obvious.

By heather on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 01:29 pm:

donating organs is entirely different from donating your home to the homeless. for the most part, the homeless have problems that won't be solved by being given a house, but i'm sure you are aware of those issues.

not to mention, that even though you don't seem inclined, generous people donate their properties and savings to various causes all the time.

why would it be considered selfish for a living person to refuse to donate to a relative and risk their life in the meantime?
    i'm talking about people who have already died. people whose relatives are not on transplant lists. thousands of people who could make other people's lives [including your friend,] infinitely easier by letting go of something that is only going to rot away.

By Nate on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 04:29 pm:

I DON'T WANT NO POOR MAN'S HEART!

By The Watcher on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 06:28 pm:

My favorite adult movie is "Blond Ambition".

The dialog is so bad I fell on the floor laughing.

I wish I could find a copy of it.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact