Olympics

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Olympics
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Platypus on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 12:01 am:

How many of you watched the opening ceremonies last night? On NBC? How many of you were *completely disguested* by the way the NBC commentators were behaving?

I mean, here's the Olympics, kind of a big deal, and during the parade of nations, those nitwits were making dergatory comments about practically everyone..."Here come the Estonians...look how dumb they look!" "Yes, Kate, and, once again, it seems unlikely they'll ever win anything..."

Maybe this is just me. But I think their behaviour was a little out of line. We're the host country, for godsakes, we could at least pretend to be nice.

By patrick on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 01:44 pm:

what do you expect from sports announcers?

i watch a lot of hockey.....i hear alot of sports announcers and their job by nature is moronic.

you could tell Bob Costa got a raging hard on when the Australian team came out and he said "ive been waiting a year and a half to say this, 'live from salt lake city....'" or something like that. due to the fact they Sydney olympics were never live here in the states.

I didnt pick up on the ill comments you are speaking of, but i was also consummed with bong hits and beer.

I couldnt help but feel a little bad, considering all the controversy surrounding the bribes in Salt Lake that took place to get the Olympics and the pushing of us to do the flag bit and the singing of "God Bless America". Granted we're the host country and should be afforded such extras, but at the same time I couldnt help feel that the Olympics were being bought and sold.

I loved the Kandahar-cam crap too. Sam and I joked we wanted to see the Kandahar-cave-cam...."live from Bin Laden's former cave, our Special Forces are drinking his left-behind beer and eating his stash of pistachios"

Id actually love to hear the rest of the world's take on the ceremony.

I thought of you cat because i remember a year and half ago you were beaming with patriotism and pride at the opening ceremony in your backyard.

Im not sure i was beaming with pride. There were some really neat parts during the ceremony indeed, but im a cynic true and true.

By semillama on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 02:33 pm:

The Native American part was pretty good, I
    thought. What followed was utter crap,
    revisionist history on ice. No Blacks allowed in
    Utah, apparently. And of course we had all
    those great chinese folks helping out on the
    railroad...sure.

I also enjoyed seeing the absolute maniac
    protesters outside - with the "God Hates
    America" and "God's Rod" signs - finally some
    new updates to the lame old God Hates Fags
    signs! I knew God had a lot more hate to dish
    out!! Yay!!

The only thing I really look forward to this
    Olympics is the friendly taunting between my
    Canadian friend and myself.

By Nate on Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 03:58 pm:

"We like to call that jet noise the sound of freedom," [Air Force Maj. Ed Thomas] said.

By patrick on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 11:24 am:

The Fred Phelps gang was there? Christ. Those fuckers nerver let up.

I think i posted the story about that gay businessman in MI who ran a pledge drive for AIDS charities as long as the Phelps gang stood outside his store protesting. That should be done everywhere they go, so the second they hit the street they are raising money for "god's wrath".

By wisper on Monday, February 11, 2002 - 03:49 pm:

the olympics = fond childhood memories.
    One of my only vivid memories of 7th grade is
    when we had to do a month long unit on the
    Olympics, like learning EVERY damn thing
    about the host town, the history of the games,
    the history of the history of every event, and
    etc....as i'm sure every kid on earth has to do
    one time or another in school.

Anyway, they had us write up a pro and con list
    about them, mine included:
    Pro- gives schools excuse to force stupid &
    useless sports history on us, instead of
    actually teaching.

holy shit. I never got in more trouble than i did
    that day. That's why i remember it so well. I
    was 11. I must have kept that
    paper....somewhere...

By The Watcher on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 04:10 pm:

I don't think there was an Olympic host city that didn't grease the wheels with a little extra cash or other incentives.

By the way NBC has never been very good with their Olympic coverage. Rember the big mistake they made with the Pay-Per-View events the first time they had them. ABC was much better when they did it.

By testy man on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 06:55 pm:

test message

By Roone Arledge on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 07:37 pm:

2 words: FUCKING COMMERCIALS BETWEEN EVERY GODDAMNED COMPETITOR WHY DON'T THEY JUST HANG FUCKING SIXPACKS OF COKES AND WATCHES AND HAIR GEL AND EAT AT JOE'S PLACARDS OFF THE MOGUL SKIIERS AND HAVE SUPERLY DUPERLY GRAND CHEROKEES AS SKI LIFTS AND HAVE FUCKING MICKEY MOUSE AND DONALD DUCK SKATING WITH KATRINA RUSKYOSEVKY AND GYORGY KATRINOKINOVA IN THE MIXED COUPLES CONTEST AND BOB COSTAS COULD BE EATING TOSTITOS WITH PACE PICANTE SAUCE AND A HUGE DOMINOS PIZZA WITH CHEESY BREAD FILLED CRUSTS WHILE ANNOUNCING THAT YES, HERE'S ANOTHER TRAGIC STORY OF AN ASPIRING OLYMPIAN'S SIBLING'S DEATH, HOSTED BY JIM MCKAY WHO IS PRESENTED BY BOUNTY, THE QUICKER PICKER UPPER BECAUSE LORD KNOWS AMERICA NEEDS A STRONG PAPER TOWEL CAN'T HAVE THEM WIMPY EUROPEAN PAPER TOWELS BUT WAIT JIM'S 195 YEARS OLD AND JUST HAD A STROKE SO WE WON'T BE BRINGING YOU THAT STORY BUT HERE'S A BRIGHT NOTE PICABO STREET FINISHED FIFTEENTH BUT SHE'S AMERICA'S DARLING BECAUSE SHE'S GOT A REALLY CUTE NAME AND SHE SHOULD HAVE WON BECAUSE SHE WENT NEAR THE END WHEN IT WAS GETTING WARMER THE FRENCH GIRL WHO WON WENT FIRST SO PICABO WOULD HAVE WON HERE FOR MORE ON HER INCREDIBLE COMEBACK AND COURAGE IN THE FACE OF DISASTER IS WHO OTHER THAN OPRAH WINFREY OH WAIT WRONG NETWORK TOM BROKAW WILL NOW READ FROM THE GREATEST GENERATION WOOPS THAT'S THE NIGHTLY NEWS OK WHO WRITES THESE CUE CARDS YOUR ASS IS CANNED BUCKO AND NOW WE TAKE YOU TO PARK CITY WHERE TODD ELDREDGE IS SKATING DOWN THE MEN'S DOWNHILL SLOPE HE'S GONE FUCKING CRAZY BECAUSE HE COULDN'T DO A QUINTUPLE LUTZ FOLLOWED BY A SEXTUPLE SALCHOW CAN WE GET A CLOSEUP OF HIM HE CAN ACTUALLY SKATE DOWN THE SLOPE BECAUSE THEY WATER THE SKI COURSE TO ICE IT DOWN AND SPEAKING OF ICE HOW ABOUT THAT LABATT'S ICE IT GOES DOWN SMOOTH AND IT'S GOOD TO THE LAST DROP JUST LIKE OUR OTHER SPONSOR MAXWELL HOUSE

By patrick on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 07:59 pm:

who cares with shots like this on speed skaters.

By Roone Arledge on Wednesday, February 13, 2002 - 08:08 pm:

THE SMILEY FACE ARTIST CARES PATRICK DO YOU THINK NBC IS ACTUALLY PAYING THE ARTIST FOR THIS SHOT HELL NO THEY'RE MAKING OUT LIKE BANDITS FOR THIS GRATUITOUS, ALBEIT TANTALIZING ASS SHOT OF AN ATHLETE WAITING TO COMPETE MEANWHILE THE SMILEY FACE ARTIST IS SITTING IN HIS STUDIO EATING KRAFT MACARONI AND CHEESE ROUNDED OUT WITH A CATFOOD TUNA TIN IN HIS FILTHY UNDERSHIRT AND SHORTS IS THIS FAIR?

By Antigone on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 02:10 pm:

The smiley face artist is dead.

He didn't get any royalties, though. Ever.

By Sorabji on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 04:37 pm:

By semillama on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 05:16 pm:

By Dougie on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 05:36 pm:

Sorry Sem. I never got into that show though, watched it once and that was it.

By patrick on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 05:50 pm:

its never been very good but i had high expectations coming from Groening.

Im not surprised nor saddened.

By Spider on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 09:50 am:

Hey, hey, on Mark's smiley page, did you see the two animated faces where one is sticking out its tongue at the other and the other keeps turning its back on the tease?

That's cute.

By Spider on Friday, February 15, 2002 - 09:51 am:

By J on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 12:02 am:

Whisper,I'm waiting for you to rip on that French,Soviet b.s,and if you donn't,I will.

By Czarina on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 10:10 am:

It scares me that anyone would wear smiley face underwear.It would be even more scarey if the underwear played that music from Marks smiley face link,everytime you pulled them up or down.

This is a frightening world we live in.

By semillama on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 12:17 pm:

Hey, how about that Australian speed skating
    phenom?

Three cheers for him!

By Dougie on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 01:47 pm:

That short track skating's pretty cool. Looks like it's all strategy -- basically when and where to pass without getting stuck at the back. Dangerous too -- I didn't realize but they wear neck guards to keep them from getting their throats cut.

By wisper on Monday, February 18, 2002 - 10:09 pm:

rip away, J.
    You have no idea of the bullshit i've had to
    listen to for the past week here.... "blah blah
    blah medal, blahblahblah tragedy, blah
    blahblah robbed" blahblahblah FUCK.
    tv and radio call in shows swarmed by tearfull
    soccer moms crying into their icecream
    "boo-hoo i can no longer live my childhood
    figureskating dream vicariously throught the
    pretty tv people as long as Russia has a gold
    medal boo-hoo-hoo!!!"
    Is there not a pointless war going on right
    now? people dying, no?
    no.
    the world stops when people are unfairly given
    a large chunk of the wrong coloured medal. It
    bloody well stops. Yeah, i saw the footage, the
    Russia guy fucked up, and lets all move on
    with our lives.
    no.
    Damnit, even the canadian team was okay
    with it. She cried a little, the dude shrugged
    and took the medal without being a whiney
    bitch about it, and i say *that's*
    sportsmanship. Let's glory in that, not in the
    way that the poor french judge was all but
    forced out of the country. god.

What a great lesson for kids: if something
    unfair happens during a sporting event, the
    very fabric of time will rupture, so get every fan
    to bitch about it, get someone fired and
    eventually you'll be the winner, and that year
    there will be two first place medals and no
    2nd place at all, because 2nd place in the
    Olympics, yes, even at the damn Olympics, is
    a big fat disgrace.

thank you.

p.s. the good part was seeing the head of the
    skating union, or whoever, at the press
    conferences. You think that guy could do a
    twirl, even if you payed him? And who wasn't
    expecting the king of all the figure skaters to
    be the biggest bitch on earth? The king of all
    bitches. That guy rules!

By Cat on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 01:38 am:

Yay Oztralia! That guy was amazing , freely admitting he had no business winning a gold medal but that he was just totally "stoked" (Australian for "really fucking happy" from the latin "stokeanus - putting stuff up one's ass"). The morale (hehe) of his story is that you have to be in it, to win it.

And did you see that another Aussie got a gold today in the aerial "I-want-to-die-on-tv" section. She was amazing... doing a triple butt twist with double somersault into headjob.

You gotta remember that these people train on ice cubes in the backyard or in someone's beer fridge. Anyway.

Hey Wisper, you *have* to read this or I'll smack. It's really funny: http://www.satirewire.com/news/feb02/warship.shtml

By spunky on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 09:36 am:

Australia kicks ass!

By patrick on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 12:13 pm:

"totally 'stoked' (Australian for "really fucking happy" from the latin "stokeanus - putting stuff up one's ass"). "

i think "stoked" originated in CA or Hawaii surf culture.

you can keep it though and feel free to take "rad" with you too.

I've been watching a lot of the Olympic hockey. It doesnt get much better than that. All-star teams made up of the greatest players in the world. US has a good shot at gold too.

Cat, are there NO mountaineous regions of Australia high enough to have snow? This may sound like a dumb question, but your island is big enough, i would have guessed that you had some snow caps somewhere.

By Antigone on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 06:43 pm:

By Antigone on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 06:43 pm:

By Cat on Tuesday, February 19, 2002 - 10:14 pm:

Yeah, yeah, yeah, we have snow...but I think it's just the scrapings from someone's freezer or the left over ice from a big 21st birthday party or whatever.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 12:38 pm:

The french judge was not fired.

You can not fire a volunteer.

She was suspended. Besideds she seems to change her story every time she tells it.

By J on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 12:47 pm:

They gave the Canadians their own gold medals,why didn't they take the gold from the Russians,the Canadians were clearly the winners.I guess after taking all the Mormom bribes to have the Olympics in Salt Lake City in the first place that things would turn rotten.Cheating bastards.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 12:55 pm:

you cant damn well take away the gold from he russians.

the integrity of an already shakey sport to judge would just go to complete shit if you took away awards.

By J on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 01:00 pm:

Integrity?????? Where was the integrity when they gave the gold to people that the whole world saw were not the winners.

By spunky on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 01:09 pm:

The integrity of the olympics has been in question for at least the past decade,
    The athletes, the judges, the hosts, all of them.
    I'm telling you, time to start completely over

By patrick on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 01:10 pm:

You don't punish the athletes for the mishaps of the judges.

You just don't do that. The skaters had nothing to do with the mis-judging as far as we know.

By J on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 01:20 pm:

That may be true,but it's still not fair.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 01:33 pm:

in sports....the "ruling on the field" must stand. Otherwise it all goes to shit.

By eri on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 02:00 pm:

If it is shit to begin with, then what difference does it make if it goes to shit?

I realize this is not the athlete's fault, but would you want a medal that you know damned well you didn't deserve, and the people who did deserve it went home with the second best award even though they obviously did better? I wouldn't. I wouldn't want the gold if I didn't truly earn it. Especially if I found out I won because the judging was rigged. I wouldn't want it.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 02:09 pm:

I don't think its shit to begin with eri.

Just like you don't understand why the rule of law must take precendence in dealing with the priosoners in cuba, you dont understand why the ruling the judges made, though tainted by one, should still stand. They very well can't skate again, and they certainly arent going to take away medals already given.

"I wouldn't want the gold if I didn't truly earn it"

eri, this is irrealvent as you are not the athletes nor the judges. Im sure the Russians must be a bit bothered by what happened, but at the same time the Russian performance in all of this should not be minimized. They most likely would have gotten a medal anyway.

By eri on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 02:37 pm:

It isn't that I don't understand, Patrick, but that I disagree and find it wrong.

I do think that the russians should have a medal. I think that aside from one jump they were very close in scores and technique. I watched them skate. I don't think their perfomance has been minimized. They should have had the silver.

As far as my "irrelevent" statement about not wanting something I didn't earn, did you consider the fact that maybe, just maybe, the athletes feel the same? That was the point I was trying to make. But then again, what would I know about figure skaters, right?

By Tanya Harding on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 02:39 pm:

I GET THE GOLD, DAMMIT

By eri on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 03:00 pm:

Oh look, the trailer park spokesmodel for figure skating has arrived! Better hand over the gold or she might find a way to kneecap you from her pretty little jail cell.

By semillama on Wednesday, February 20, 2002 - 05:56 pm:

This is exactly why I only watch professional
    wrestling.

By spunky on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 08:57 am:

By J on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 10:15 am:

I agree with Don Cherry.

By patrick on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 11:35 am:

we really have no way of knowing whats really going on. are other athletes being equally tested?

Don Cherry is a prick.

if the Russians pull out of hockey today im gonna be pissed, they're so much fun to watch.

By semillama on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 12:17 pm:

Anyone see the game last night? That was
    fantastic. I watched it with a Canadian. It was
    loud. after they won, he got up and started
    whooping and hollering. Apparently this is
    Canada's first hockey gold medal in 50 years.

Then he got upset because curling wasn't on.

By patrick on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 12:27 pm:

what?

you must be mistaken

the semi finals are today. no one has won anything yet in hockey.

Canada vs Belarus is today as well as Russia vs US

then we get the silver and gold matchup from the winners of those two games.

By droopy on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 12:36 pm:

he meant women's hockey.

curling. i always thought that sport looked like something the cleaning crew came up with one night.

By semillama on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 02:38 pm:

Ha! You sexist patrick! Ha! Alert LUCY
    PHURRE!

By patrick on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 02:44 pm:

womens?

hockey?

dude.

By semillama on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 03:57 pm:

DUDE!!! IT was a good game! The Canadian
    goalie was excellent!!

There was even some good hits, even though
    there isn't supposed to be checking in
    international hockey...

By patrick on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 04:48 pm:

im playing.

i heard it was a good match up.

good for Canada. good for Gretzky

By semillama on Friday, February 22, 2002 - 10:30 pm:

Good USA/Russia game, too. Is the Gold
    Medal round 230 sunday, is that correct?
    Maybe I will be actualy be able to watch it!

By patrick on Monday, February 25, 2002 - 12:04 pm:

actually i was really dispointed in the Russia US game. I was hoping for more, Russia only got their act together in the 3rd period and even then I think the US outshot them something like 40 to 20. Glad US won in the end.

Naturally yesterdays game was a bummer....Canada though was just one step ahead the whole game.

We went to the local tavern had lunch and got drunk by 3pm. Nothing like walkin out of a bar when its still sunny and beautiful out.

By Gee on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 05:25 pm:

yesterdays game was not a bummer. yesterdays game was killer. I realize it didn't actually happen "yesterday" anymore, but I'm keeping up the rythem.

it got to the point where I was wishing the american's would get another goal, just because I felt sorry for them. Did you see how happy Wayne was? Muh boy.

By patrick on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 05:33 pm:

Wayne has been a whiny bitch throughout the Olympics but thats ok. He's Wayne fucking Gretzky.

By Gee on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 06:27 pm:

POT: Hey kettle! You're black!

you see, I'm implying in my oh-so-subtle way that you too are a whiny bitch. see how funny, yet poignant that was?

don't I get a hug?

By patrick on Tuesday, February 26, 2002 - 06:32 pm:

i'd prefer to wear your "Good Egg" badge you bestowed upon me sometime ago rather than the "Whiny Bitch" badge.

By Spider on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 08:27 am:

GEE!!

Gee, why do you disappear for so long? We need you here.

By Gee on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 03:00 pm:

I have extra courses this year, Rhiannon. if I dissapear again, it will be your job to remember me and every once in a while for seemingly no reason at all you'll have to pop up and say "I miss Gee". and if you wanted to talk about how cute I am, that's okay too.

you only hurt the ones you love, Patrick.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 03:05 pm:

do you love me gee?

By Gee on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 03:16 pm:

I love you as much as I could love any boy I've never met who occasionally annoys the hell out of me. but not as much as I love feta cheese.

if you came to visit me I'd hug you, and if you died I'd be sad. does that cheer you up?

By patrick on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 03:19 pm:

of course!

i love white extra sharp canadian cheddar as much as i love you gee.

By Spider on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 03:46 pm:

I *have* missed you, Gee. You brightened this place right up. Stick around for a while, okay?

How has school been going?

By Antigone on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 04:23 pm:

Gee's love list:

45) feta cheese
    89) patrick

About right?

By patrick on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 04:27 pm:

oh stop it! Your just jealous because she hasn't proclaimed any annoyance OR love for you.

you just wait your turn and stop goal robbing the little bit of love i get around here.

By Cat on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 04:47 pm:

Antigone is the big cheese of hot ass lovin'.

By patrick on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 05:27 pm:

if i wasnt trying to watch what i eat....id love to go for a philly cheesteak right now speak of hot ass cheese lovin.

By semillama on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 05:57 pm:

I don't like cheese very much at all, but I still
    like gee a whole bunch.

By Dougie on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 06:07 pm:

Don't like cheese? I love pretty much everything except the real goaty tasting chevre. Actually, you know what's really good is Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar. The first time I saw it I turned my nose up at it, but after tasting it, it's damn good with Carr's Water Crackers. Blue's my all time favorite -- the more it smells like old sneakers, the better. Except some are way too salty. There's a place down on Prince St. called Dean & Deluca -- not sure if it's just a NY phenomenon or they have it elsewhere, but when I find myself down there, I always stop in and get cheese that are new to me, and I always get some duck liver mousse and pate de foie gras to take home.

By eri on Wednesday, February 27, 2002 - 07:28 pm:

Speaking of cheese, does anyone know where I can get a hold of some Mizithra. Or some other dry greek cheese. I miss it, and haven't found it for a couple of years.

By Gee on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 01:49 am:

Rhiannon, am I still spelling your name right? It's been so long I've forgotten, and I can't call you Spider anymore.

School is sometimes fun, sometimes really annoying. I have to start thinking about my topic for my research essay in my Greek myth class. What do you think I should write about? Last term I wrote about Medea, who is probably my favorite character in greek myth. who do you think is really interesting? I can write about anything I want.

I'm so looking forward to the summer. oh really, I am so much. It's going to be nice.

By Spider on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 08:39 am:

Yes, dear Gee, your spelling is correct.

My favorite character in Greek myth is Athena, but she can't be too exciting of a paper topic. I also like Orpheus, but....eh.

Who was the guy who killed his enemy's children and fed them to him in a pie? I thought that was Tantalus, but my Google searches tells me he's the one who stole the gods' nectar and ambrosia. Is it the same guy?

...Or did he cut out someone's tongue? Did he rape his enemy's wife and cut out her tongue?

Now I'm getting all mixed up.

By Spider on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 08:46 am:

Ooh!

Philomela and Procne were the daughters of Pandion, king of Athens. When war broke out between Athens and Thebes, Pandion asked Tereus, the king of Thrace, for his assistance. Tereus duly obliged and the Athenians were successful. In return for his help Pandion offered Tereus the hand of his daughter Procne in marriage.

Procne went with Tereus back to Thrace in Northern Greece, but she missed her sister Philomela. Tereus promised to go to Athens to bring Philomela to Thrace so that the two could be reconciled. He travelled south and brought Philomela towards Thrace to be reconciled with her sister. But on the journey Tereus lusted after Philomela and raped her. Fearing that she should tell anyone he had her tongue cut out and arrived in Thrace with her unable to divulge any information. But she found a way around Tereus' treachery and embroided the secret on a piece of cloth for her sister Procne.

Procne was horrified and immediately plotted a revenge to punish Tereus. She boiled her own son Itys and served him to his father. As he prepared to eat the two sisters fled. When Tereus realised what had been prepared for him to digest he pursued the two women enraged. He caught up with both of them and threatened to kill both with an axe. But before he could do so the women prayed to the gods to save them and they replied by turning Procne to a nightingale, Philomela to a swallow and Tereus to a hoopoe.

Wow!

Here are two other links:

http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Tereus1.html

http://sunsite.berkeley.edu/OMACL/GoodWomen/philomela.html

By Spider on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 08:50 am:

By the way, that first link will give you a stomach ache and the second link will give you a headache.

By Spider on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 10:32 am:

Dude...why has no one responded?

You've got torture, rape, murder, and cannibalism....all in one story. You can't get any more lurid!

By patrick on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 11:36 am:

um.....we get enough of that already spidey.

By Spider on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 11:57 am:

Even cannibalism? Isn't that new and exciting?

By Antigone on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 11:59 am:

You must not get out much, Rhi...

By patrick on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 12:00 pm:

no, that's gross!!!

By Gee on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 12:03 pm:

I remember that story! It's really interesting and sometimes reminds me of "The Color Purple". isn't that funny?

I always thought it was interesting that when you have a god mating with a mortal woman the result can be a demi-god, but as far as I know there has never been a demi-god as a result of a goddess and a mortal man. I could try to find out why that is, but that might be too predictable.

maybe I could compare variations of myths. Like for example, did Persephone eat the pomengrant seeds because she was tricked into doing so, or was she just stupid? Different myths say different things.

how about an analysis of the morals of the ancient Greeks? They had really different morals than we do, and it's reflected in their myths.

What do you think, Rhiannon? maybe I'll explore each topic a little bit and see which one bites at me. I'd like to know what you think, though.

By Antigone on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 01:15 pm:

Selene (Roman moon goddess) and Endymion (mortal shepherd boy) had 50 daughters.

Check it out...

By J on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 01:55 pm:

The worst case of sleep fucking I ever heard of.Being a goddess I'm just asumeing she didn't get stretchmarks.

By Spider on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 02:01 pm:

Gee, I like your idea about the morals. I think, too, it would be interesting to compare moral judgements found in the myths with moral judgements found in some non-fictional primary sources. (Like, gosh, it was okay for Selene to have 50 kids, but look at the account of, um, Mrs. Diogenes in, uh, Hippocrates' "Treatise on the Airs" -- she had 15 kids with her husband and everyone condemned her for being wanton. Or something.)

You know?

By Spider on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 02:02 pm:

PS. D'Aulaire's book of Greek myths had a really nice picture of Selene smiling on the sleeping Endymion from the sky.

By semillama on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 04:40 pm:

what the hell is a hoopoe?

By Spider on Thursday, February 28, 2002 - 04:42 pm:

A hawk. Did you not follow the first link??

By semillama on Friday, March 1, 2002 - 01:00 pm:

Of course not. it was easier to just ask.

By Spider on Friday, March 1, 2002 - 01:03 pm:

You are missing out on the picture of Procne about to throw Itys' head at Tereus!

By Gee on Friday, March 1, 2002 - 07:33 pm:

50 mortal daughters or 50 immortal daughters? my point was that the children are not gods/goddesses.

I'm still thinking about it.

By semillama on Friday, March 1, 2002 - 09:20 pm:

I saw that at the GWAR show.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact