voting

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: voting
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Platypus on Wednesday, March 6, 2002 - 12:52 am:

well? who voted? who didn't? why?

And why is it that the bay area always carries the vote for california? i mean, i realize there are more of them, but sheesh.

By semillama on Wednesday, March 6, 2002 - 09:38 am:

I didn't vote.

But, then, there wasn't an election in Ohio.

By eri on Wednesday, March 6, 2002 - 11:07 am:

I couldn't vote. Not a Texas resident, yet. Not in Missouri to vote (if those dumbasses even had an election). Hated not being able to vote.

By patrick on Wednesday, March 6, 2002 - 11:26 am:

I voted.

Im mixed about the results.

Im a registered non-partisan so i can vote in any party for primaries.

I voted on the republican ticket because i wanted to vote for former LA mayor Riordan.

Why would I vote republican? Because Gray Davis was unchallenged on the Democratic ticket and that neanderthal ultra conservative Bill Simon had to be stopped.

It seems not that many shared my concern. Im pretty sure now, Davis will win the re-election now because ultra conservatives like Bill Simon don't have much of a chance in CA.

I only voted in the races i knew anything about. Also, because i was using the republican ticket/booth, i didnt get a chance to vote for any of the other offices...I would have liked to have voted for the Insurance Commissioner job as well but it looks like my pick won by a landslide..John Garamendi. Anything but that guy Calderon, who is pocketing campaign donations by the insurance companies (hello conflict of interest!!!).

All the props went my way with the exception of 42...allocating the the state gas tax to be used for transportation. Considering all the other taxes on fuel that are already allocated for transportation I felt this could potentially hurt other matters.

I love voting. Im completely warm and proud when i go and stand in line while 3 rotary club ladies help one single woman with her provisional ballot. You can't bitch. They're volunteers, patriots without politics, guardians and facillitators of imperfect, yet one of the best systems available. You have to love that.

I suspect i'll be one of those old men behind the folding chairs and tables with a fisherman's hat on issuing ballots.

By eri on Wednesday, March 6, 2002 - 11:50 am:

I love voting. My kids love to dance and try to entertain the volunteers. Contrary to beliefs of some, I don't vote republican straight down the line. Never had any problems with Riordan, don't know much about Davis, but don't remember any major bad vibes, Bill Simon just gives me the willies. I understand what you mean about the gas tax. We ran into that a lot in Kansas City when it came to the roadways. The idiots would pass even more money for the roadways when everyone knew the money they voted in before went into anything but the roads, probably marble toilet seats for the idiots there. I got to the point where I didn't want more money going to fix the roads, I wanted the money passed before to go to the roads and the idiots who didn't use it for what it was voted for to be held accountable for their blatant bullshit. Missouri is #2 for worst roads in the nation. Only beat by Lousiana. Giving them more money for the roads, didn't do shit. It is a vicious cycle of ineptitude and unaccountability.

Ok, I am done ranting now.

By dave. on Wednesday, March 6, 2002 - 12:44 pm:

"Also, because i was using the republican ticket/booth, i didnt get a chance to vote for any of the other offices"

you mean that if you vote republican, you have to vote party line all the way?

By patrick on Wednesday, March 6, 2002 - 01:03 pm:

well to be honest.....thats where it gets terribly confusing.

the rules changed this year. I would have had to go back and either get another ballot or move to a different booth, as the booths were divided by party with each punch card being different.

I didnt vote party line all the way...no one else in the republican party got my vote.

to be honest i was in a bit of a rush and voted for essentially what I wanted to vote for and got out.

there was quite a bit on the ballot and i didnt have a chance to look into each and every canidate.

if i don't know who im voting for, i dont vote.

By Platypus on Wednesday, March 6, 2002 - 03:26 pm:

That's reasonable. I am one of those polling place volunteers, actually. It's pretty fun. Mendocino, apparently, had 46% turnout. That's pretty excellent.

I was hoping davis wouldn't get relected too. But now our choices are looking dire. I'm pissed about props 40 and 42. We just passed a "california clean air, clean water, etc" bond act like two years ago, and they want more money? I'm just annoyed that everyone was bawling over the electricity crisis and then voted yes on yet another bond act. Argh. And the transportation one doesn't take effect until, when, 2006?

But my locals all went the way I wanted them to, so that's all right.

By patrick on Wednesday, March 6, 2002 - 03:54 pm:

the California Clean Air Water bill of two years ago....yes Im aware of it...and while the current one may have some "pork" in it as did the previous one...its still essential, even if with the "pork". LA has the fewest "green spaces" per population in the country...meaning we still need more for parks and clean air. So it got my vote.

he transportation bill would take effect immediately and we would be committed until 2008. Its misinformation that they said it wouldnt take effect until then.

The problem is that it would divert funds for many years to come that could hinder education, environment and other needs. CA roads, bridges and highways, under the current budget get most of what they need. That was my problem with that prop.

they expected this voter turnout to be one of the worst...i havent heard the statewide numbers yet but i hope its better than they predicted.

By The Watcher on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 06:43 pm:

I think these open primaries are really pretty rediculous.

A primary is where a party is supposed to pick their candidate for a general election. How can a party pick a candidate if the election is open to everyone?

It just doesn't make sence.

By patrick on Thursday, March 7, 2002 - 07:20 pm:

"How can a party pick a candidate if the election is open to everyone?"

um.

do you need me to spell it out for you?

By The Watcher on Friday, March 8, 2002 - 01:54 am:

No.

I just think that if a candidate is to represent a particular party then only members of the party should be allowed to vote in the primary.

Otherwise the independants and others weaken the party.

By patrick on Friday, March 8, 2002 - 01:02 pm:

The notion of diluting party resolve is crap. Parties are all about inclusion, since there really are only two parties competing for office they need input across the board.

Parties thrive on inclusion on seclusion.

By The Watcher on Friday, March 8, 2002 - 01:25 pm:

Inclusion is done through voter registration drives.

By patrick on Friday, March 8, 2002 - 01:33 pm:

um....a basic idea in political science is that parties, especially in a two party system, NEED inclusion. The either party HAS to be about inclusion otherwise where do the votes go? the otherside. Parties need to make their policies as general and as inclusive as possible to attain as many voters as possible. This is what i mean by inclusion. Its ultimately to the party's advantage and democracy's advantage to allow non party people to vote in open primaries.

By wisper on Friday, March 8, 2002 - 04:54 pm:

Just curious: how does the ballot system work
    for you guys? When the whole Gore-Bush
    thing was going on i kept hearing about
    broken "voting machines". Wtf is a voting
    machine? what does it do? is it like a punch
    card or something? Sometimes on the
    Simpsons (i KNOW, but it's the only time i've
    seen the american voting process) people
    vote by going behind a curtain and pulling a
    lever. Is that thing a voting machine? I'm so
    confused.

If i ever vote, i'd be handed a single small slip
    of paper from an elderly woman, with the
    candidates names and parties on it. You go
    behind a desk or table with a flimsy cardboard
    screen-type thing around you to block people's
    view. Then you take the pencil (only the one
    that they give you) and mark a big X in the box
    beside the name. No checkmarks, no
    blakced-out boxes. Then i'd hand the paper
    back to the lady, who checks it for tampering,
    folds it for me, and puts it in a box.
    I'm pretty sure that's the only way you can
    submit a vote. It's almost impossible to rig
    anything.
    That night they lock themselves up
    somewhere and count all the little paper votes
    by hand 3 times or so, across the whole
    country. It's pretty simple....

By The Watcher on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 07:53 pm:

There are quite a few different kinds of voting machines today.

Punch Cards, Levers, Optical Scanners, even online systems.

Florida had a punch card system.

By wisper on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 10:20 pm:

online voting?! that's crazy! how un-secure is
    that!

wow

By Platypus on Sunday, March 10, 2002 - 11:36 pm:

Oregon is all by mail.

In Mendocino County, which has really antiquated systems, you get handed a ballot with the candidates names on it in a little envelope. You go to a stall (actually, it's a suitcase on legs with metal bits folded out so no one can see you), and you push out little holes with a stylus. It's pretty neat. Then you put the ballot back in the envelope and stick it into a big metal barrel through a slot. Like a piggy bank, but different.

But it seems to work for the 46% of us that care.

By eri on Monday, March 11, 2002 - 10:22 am:

Kansas City had the same antiques as Mendocino. I thought it was kind of a trip.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact