What's Wrong With Me?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: What's Wrong With Me?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By spunky on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 10:24 am:

As mentioned before, we got a $2300 tax refund this year.
    So, we decide it is time to try and get a safer car for me to drive to work. You know, one that wont shudder and then die everytime we come to a stoplight......
    One that has not had every sensor replaced and it is still dying everytime you put it in gear.
    Anyways, we (Eri and I) go looking at cars.
    We get it narrowed down between two cars.
    One is an 89 Honda Prelude. It is black, two door, 5 speed in really good condition for it's age. A little sporty, it had a/c, cassette and sunroof. Very peppy.
    The other one is an 88 Acura Legend. Nice, four door grey sedan with leather interior, a/c, cd player, sunroof, power windows, power locks, v6, automatic, etc.
    The choice is now between a 2 door 5 speed sport coupe or a classy 4 door sedan.
    both exact same price ($2,450), approximately the same milage, both run extremely well. I chose the sedan.

I think to myself, am I getting old for picking the sedan over the sport coupe?

By spunky on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 10:30 am:

By eri on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 10:56 am:

You forgot to mention that the Honda had 2 cracks in the winshield, so we would have to replace that and the Acura didn't. You also forgot to mention that the air conditioner on the Honda, although it kicked on, didn't put out any cold air, and we both know that it may need more than frion (don't know how to spell that one) like the van did, but the a/c on the Acura was just fine. There was the jimmied paint job on the Honda, but not the Acura.

You are obsessing too much on this love. You are not old. You just made the smart decision. Besides, when the kids are out of the house, we will only have 2 seater sports cars, or at least that is the plan, isn't it? Me in my little convertible Ghia, fully restored and you in your little convertible BMW?

By Nate on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 11:55 am:

i had an acura legend and i really liked it. i think it was a 94.

did you drive the legend?

unless you're an asian racerboy, you have no business in a prelude.

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 11:58 am:

Rice! Rice!

By Dougie on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 12:00 pm:

I just bought one of those little Shriner cars -- gets great gas mileage, and you can beat traffic by pulling past everybody on the sidewalk. Plus, if I do say so myself, all the ladies tell me I look quite debonair in my fez.

By agatha on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 12:06 pm:

we have a sedan. dave bought it from his grandma. i don't suppose that makes you feel any better, actually.

ours isn't nearly as nice as an acura. does that help?

By patrick on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 12:15 pm:

yeah maybe you should see if you can stretch your buck farther by looking at, say, a honda accord sedan vs an acura?

I wouldnt buy either of those cars. Inevitably with a used car, 10 + years old, you have a plethora of mechanical problem you will inherit.

maybe you should stash the money for 6 months, adding to it every month. make a downpayment on a newer, more reliable, safer car.

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 12:20 pm:

If I'd had my druthers, my last car would have been one of these.

By spunky on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 01:03 pm:

sweet! I never heard of those before, but not bad for 24k.
    We drove both cars, and chose the acura sedan.
    I was playing with it at lunch today and found a button on the gear selector that says s3 & s4.
    there is a gear called s.
    not sure what that is, thought it was second, but second 3 and second 4 does not make much sense.
    It rides very smoothly, and the engine is so quite I have to look at the tachometer to see if it even started.
    it is about 15 years old (88-03), and has 156,000 miles on it. You know what is really interesting? my 93 sunbird is almost 10 years old, and it too has 156,000 miles on it. guess which car runs better?

By spunky on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 01:06 pm:

oooh, wait a minute, a three wheeler with the third wheel in the rear??? not so sure now

By eri on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 01:51 pm:

We did take a good look at the engines of both cars before we bought anything. All I can say is besides the lot we got it from, this car had 1 owner (you could tell on the title) and they spent a pretty penny on the upkeep. Did everything at the dealership, from the CD player to the new battery in it. I have never seen such a clean engine on any used car before in my life. Besides, if I am working on any engine, I want it to be a Honda engine. They are the easiest for me, probably because my first car was a Honda.

We already have one car payment on a car that doesn't even run safely. We are a single income family. Taking on a second car payment would definately not be the best option right now.

I think that considering all of our options, spunky did good in picking the car that he did.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 03:10 pm:

s3 and s4 are 'sport' gears. they give you higher RPMs before shifting, with the max gear being 3 or 4, respectively.

By heather on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 03:25 pm:

man

that is really ugly

By heather on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 03:27 pm:

i mean the shiny things

By patrick on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 05:53 pm:

GOD DAMMIT HEATHER!!!!!!!!!!

By Dougie on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 07:08 pm:

"Besides, if I am working on any engine, I want it to be a Honda engine. They are the easiest for me, probably because my first car was a Honda."

Are you a mechanic or something, Eri?

By eri on Wednesday, April 10, 2002 - 07:54 pm:

My grandfather believed that in this day and age any woman driver must know how to take care of her vehicle and repair her vehicle so that she is never trapped on the side of the road defenseless. I started learning how to repair cars when I was 14. I have done just about everything except a transmission. I have always loved working on cars. I guess I am an ametuer grease monkey.

It also makes for fun. You should see the looks on these car salesmans faces when I get under the hood and start poking around. For some reason no one expects a little woman like me to know about engines. Funny.

By Platypus on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 12:12 am:

Wow, I never knew what the "s" gears on my old acura were for.

Now, too late, I am illuminated.

By Nate on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 11:45 am:

I always pretended it would launch missles.

By sarah on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 01:34 pm:

i figured out what has been wrong with me.

winter.

i hadn't been through a season in 9 years. going through winter was more awful than i realized. now it is no longer winter and i feel like a totally different person. i feel like my old self, kinda.

last weekend i saw music outside under the stars and danced. monday i rode my bike around town lake. yesterday i went to the driving range at night and flirted with the cute golf pro. there were crickets everywhere. saturday i am taking a belly dancing class. this morning i drove to work with all the windows rolled down singing aloud to Madonna. i had to wear my sunglasses. in a few minutes, i'm going on a walk on a path behind the building where i work. the sun is shining, the breeze is warm.

yay!

By spunky on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 01:36 pm:

Why, Oh WHy, did you ever move away from Hawaii??

By eri on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 02:45 pm:

Winter is depressing. I hate winter. I love spring. Summer is oppressive. Fall is a beautiful sign of change and then back to crappy depressing desolate looking winter. Maybe that will seem different here. If we are here during the winter. Maybe the warmer climate and the sunshine will make winter bearable.

By sarah on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 02:59 pm:

because i wanted to give love a try.

because i was content.

but mostly, because i'm a fucking idiot.

By eri on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 04:11 pm:

You aren't an idiot! What you did was honorable and it isn't your fault that things couldn't work out. It takes two.

O.K. hon, get them to transfer us to Hawaii and we will take her with us!!! Just no threesomes K?

By spunky on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 04:38 pm:

By Sponsor on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 04:42 pm:

By semillama on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 06:20 pm:

This wa my first year without a proper winter. I
    t was always in my mind very late fall and then
    very early spring during the normal winter
    months. The only time I saw winter was when
    I went home for xmas.

Today I saw a picture of my homeland, I don't
    know where but it was definately the UP. It
    was a guy standing on a basalt ledge
    overlooking a pair of deep blue lakes
    surrounded by emerald green trees, and I got
    very homesick.

By eri on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 07:52 pm:

I grew up not far from where Patrick is now. They don't have real winters. After approximately 8 or 9 winters in Missouri, I am so glad to be in a place that doesn't have a proper winter. I loved the weather in the mojave desert and would live there again if there was a decent economy out there, but right now it is all drug dealers, retirees and welfare recipients.

Your home sounds beautiful!

By Fb on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 11:31 pm:

Sarah, with a little imagination and a little "relaxation of morals" you could make your stay in Texas profitable. if you don't mind routine travel to Mexico.

By droopy on Thursday, April 11, 2002 - 11:57 pm:

no shit. you probably wouldn't have to go any farther than matamoros.

enjoy the next two months and then hop a plane back to hawaii. there isn't enough prozac in the world to get you through a summer here.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact