What next?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: What next?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 02:06 pm:

I always said food was to be the next big thing to be demonized in America like cigarettes. A meal at McDonalds is like a pack of cigarettes on your health.

fatty kids taxing the health care system

Whats next, the lawsuits? The public service ads? the millions fo dollars forked out by the state and federal health agencies warning kids against McDonalds, Pop Tarts, Cheetos and Coke?

When will we deal with the problem of rampant consumerism?

Capitalists will say its a free market, let the consumer choose, yet they have problems when their health care dollars are used to correct the problems caused my rampant marketing (nate).

Thats all it is. Marketing. Children are like those metal rabbits at a shooting gallery.

what to do. what to do.

By eri on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 05:15 pm:

I just read the top part and saw that they linked sleep apnea to obesity. That would explain why my 1 lb. baby had sleep apnea, because at one pound she was obese!!!!

Eating fast food isn't the only reason why obesity in children is climbing. Children sit on their asses and play video games or watch the Cartoon Network when we used to be outside playing catch or hide and seek. Children also don't excercise.

Why don't we put the blame where it needs to go, to the parents and other people in the child's life (including the child him/herself) that don't teach the kid proper eating habits or proper exercise habits.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, May 1, 2002 - 06:31 pm:

More goverment control. Just what this country needs.

I heard some guy on the radio this morning who wants to raise the age for a drivers licence to eighteen, and lower the drinking age at the same time. He thinks sixteen year olds are to immature to handle a car. And, since eighteen is concidered an adult then there should be no restrictions on drinking.

God, I love the idiots of this world who want to tell everybody else how to live.

By LoneStranger on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 07:10 pm:

mmmm....

McDonalds....

chicken nuggets....

I don't care if chickens don't have nuggets.

LS

By eri on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 09:35 pm:

I have been looking at this adoption website of children in foster homes who are available for adoption. I have been reading the biographies. Trying to learn about the kids that are available and their diabilities (any foster kid is going to have some minor emotional thing at least and all of them have something, but is it something I can handle). Anyways, a lot of the kids in their 2 or 3 paragraph bios have listed how much they love certain types of fast food (like that is important in finding a child to fit in your family) which makes me wonder if fast food is all these poor kids are eating. I have met some kids that haven't been exposed to anything other than fast food and when we would take them out to restraunts they wouldn't eat anything on the menu unless it was cheeseburgers or chicken nuggets. That upsets me. I have always had a diverse taste in foods and encourage the same in my kids, or any that I am close to. I eat fast food sometimes, but I also enjoy the finer restraunts and just about everything in between. I don't just cook crap food either. Healthy eating is important. Trying new things is part of that. Eating things other than McDonald's is part of that. Too much emphasis on fast food in adoption today.

By Thorn on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 10:31 pm:

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE

By LoneStranger on Saturday, May 4, 2002 - 04:08 am:

I ate sushi tonite.

I like sushi.

I also like chicken nuggets.

I am diverse.

LS

By Nate on Saturday, May 4, 2002 - 12:25 pm:

you like sushi?

By moonit on Sunday, May 5, 2002 - 01:03 am:

yuck pah nasty sushi.

By LoneStranger on Sunday, May 5, 2002 - 03:07 am:

I've liked sushi for a couple years now. What I don't like is how expensive it is.

But yes, I do.

I eat it at school sometimes. If you get it at lunch, then it's good, otherwise, it ends up being a little dry. They make the lunch stuff during lunch, but the dinner stuff is made a few hours before dinner.

But yes, it did take awhile for me to get used to it.

LS

By eri on Sunday, May 5, 2002 - 07:40 pm:

I like California roll. That is about as close as I will get to raw fish. I love the rice and seaweed and veggies and such in it. Yummy. Nowhere to get it out here, though.

By semillama on Sunday, May 5, 2002 - 10:34 pm:

I took e. out for sushi the other night. Luckily
    for me, they had non-sushi asian dishes.

that's about it. except they had great green tea.

By Naate on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 01:24 am:

shoe leather.

debearded clam muscle. cracker barrel endoscopy.

fillie fillet.

i dunno, i was really drunk at the time.

sink and swim.

By Czarina on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 02:55 am:

You'll get and die of raw fish parasites of the lungs,if you keep this raw fishy madness up.

Nothings quite as lovin as somptin from the oven.

By patrick on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 11:44 am:

i had paia (spell? Spanish dish with rice and 50 different seafoods?) the other night.

I even helped chris making it, chopping the veggies. As much as seafood turns me off, i still tried it. It was his birthday, i owed him that and my labor was involved. It was nasty. Grouper, mussels, clams, crab legs, shrimp and albacore in one dish. Oh my, it tasted and smelled like the Cannery in Monterrey. Yuk!

By Dougie on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 12:26 pm:

Paella. You can have it either with or without seafood. Usually has chicken, chorizo, saffron rice, and then you can add lobster, clams, mussels, shrimp, whatnot. (I've never heard of adding fish like grouper and albacore in it). It must not've been made right, because when it is, it's one of the most glorious dishes there is, especially if it's precursed with some sangria, and then served with a nice Spanish white wine. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

By patrick on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 12:34 pm:

well yeah if you like seafood to begin with. It was a 'kit' my friend got as a gift. everyone loved it, but everyone normally likes seafood too.

the recipe called for everythign we used.

chris isn't the best cook and is known to half ass things...but the fact that i helped him along...it was made to spec. it would have been outta sight sans the seafood.

By Dougie on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 01:08 pm:

You don't like seafood? You poor, poor man. I'll say a little pray for you.

By patrick on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 01:20 pm:

it all smells and tastes like rotten ass.

By semillama on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 02:12 pm:

Hear, hear.

Except for fresh caught shark. It's like its not
    seafood.

By Dougie on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 02:59 pm:

If you like shark, sem, you'd like swordfish.

I guess that's why I like lemon and butter on my rotten ass, Patrick.

By patrick on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 03:22 pm:

its true, ive had swordfish and its tolerable. its pretty unoffensive.

By agatha on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 03:33 pm:

chilean sea bass. mmmmmmmm.

By semillama on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 03:53 pm:

I believe in Swordfish!

(He Believes in Swordfish!)

By Dougie on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 05:26 pm:

I believe in swordfish too (whatever that means). Swordfish is the king of all sea fish in my book. (Good book: The Hungry Ocean). I dunno, I just get the biggest thrill digging clams or picking oysters off the beach and eating them right then and there, or catching a mess of blueclaw crabs and boiling them up with Old Bay seasoning, or having a clambake with clams & mussels and lobsters and corn & potatoes, or catching my dinner (bluefish, striped bass, fluke, flounder, seabass, cod, hake). I love flyfishing for trout too, but I'm not really fond of eating freshwater fish, although deep-fried catfish is hard to beat.

By eri on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 07:02 pm:

I love seafood. Always have. Especially shellfish. Orange Roughy broiled in garlic butter and served with sauteed mushrooms on top is one of my all time favorites.

By Christopher on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 07:15 pm:

Atlantic Flounder. Proof that God loves the East Coast best.

By Dougie on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 07:36 pm:

Hmmm, I never thought that mushrooms & seafood was a good match, but if you like it Eri, that's cool. Orange roughy's a nice, mild fish that you can pretty much do anything with.

Christopher, you know what I'm talking about with seafood being from Long Island. Ever been to Jordan Lobster Farms in Island Park? Mecca, baby. http://www.jordanlobsterfarms.com/ \
    I love it -- all the staff there wear T-shirts that say, "Lobstertrician".

By Christopher on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 07:57 pm:

Sorry, Dougie, but can't say I've been there. When I was a kid, my Dad would drive us over to the Lindenhurst docks, right on the Great South Bay,and we would drop crab traps. We had a light that we hooked up the battery in my Dad's car, and would watch the crabs practically duking it out for an opportunity to get in there first. We would pull up the traps and there would be 5 or more fatties in there at a time. We'd catch 20 or more and head home, and my Mom would put on a huge pot of boiling water and we'd just send them to the great beyond in a puff of steam. My whole family would gather round this long table that my dad built in the breakfast area (Remember, I have 7 brothers and sisters), and we'd chow down on fresh crab until long after midnight. The whole table would be covered in layers of Newsday, and the shells would pile up alarmingly high. Even my Gramma would be in there with a nut cracker, helping out us little kids. The funny thing about it was that there were amost never any leftovers. I can't imagine that it is like that anymore. My family must have been responsible for the decimation of the South Shore's crab stocks.

Lobstertrician. Heh...

By Nate on Monday, May 6, 2002 - 11:07 pm:

chilean sea bass is on the LIST, agatha.

tsk.

By agatha on Tuesday, May 7, 2002 - 02:31 am:

which list is this? i had some at this ethiopian restaurant recently, and it tasted like butter.

By Nate on Tuesday, May 7, 2002 - 09:25 am:

the list of fish we don't eat because they are in danger of being overfished.

orange roughy is on there too.

By agatha on Tuesday, May 7, 2002 - 12:11 pm:

where can i see this list?

i had marlin on easter. that was pretty damn good, too.

By Nate on Tuesday, May 7, 2002 - 12:24 pm:

By agatha on Tuesday, May 7, 2002 - 01:59 pm:

there seems to be a lot of articles calling bullshit on the chilean sea bass thing, too. i wonder where the truth of the matter lies. i hate reading propaganda, it's so confusing.

By Platypus on Tuesday, May 7, 2002 - 07:49 pm:

it's threatened, i think.

a bunch of resturants in the bay area, like chez panisse, have taken it off their menus. i read about it in the chron a while ago. poor sea bass.

By eri on Tuesday, May 7, 2002 - 09:01 pm:

I am interested in knowing what fish are being hunted too much. I don't cook fish often, especially out here, cuz good fish is hard to find here, but would like to know.

By dave. on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 01:19 am:

i'm not sure i can trust people who willingly eat things that look like this.

By agatha on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 02:44 am:

i know, dude, but it was unbelievably tasty. it's all susan and adam's faults.

By semillama on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 09:47 am:

You ate THAT?

<shudder>

By patrick on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 11:35 am:

looks like any other nasty fish.

what about catfish? those nasty bottom feeders look like aliens.

By Dougie on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 11:45 am:

My sushi bar serves coelacanth. Bit pricey though.

By J on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 01:08 pm:

I love rainbow trout.

By dave. on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 09:04 pm:

my sushi bar serves icthyosaur.

By wisper on Wednesday, May 8, 2002 - 10:26 pm:

my sushi bar serves rotten ass.

By semillama on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 09:54 am:

My sushi bar serves nessie.

By LoneStranger on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 11:57 am:

Sushi bars should be clean, and if possible, douched.

LS

By Kalliope on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 01:05 pm:

catfish is good though. i remember this place
    up in MA where there was one of those all you
    can eat dealys and my brother and i had this
    huge pile of fried catfish set down in front of
    us and we just moooshed it all down.

i miss that. cant eat anything resembling
    seafood/fish/whatever in this town because
    it's disgusting.

By Dougie on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 01:10 pm:

My sushi bar serves catfish barbs as toothpicks.

By Kalli on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 01:17 pm:

my sushi bar serves toothpicks as catfish.

By semillama on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 01:54 pm:

My sushi bar serves your mom.

By Dougie on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 02:05 pm:

You're probably right -- my mom lives in Columbus and has probably been served at the same sushi bar you have.

By Kalli on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 03:51 pm:

my sushi bar IS your mom.

By LoneStranger on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 04:36 pm:

Dammit Kalli! You beat me to it!

LS

By Dougie on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 06:36 pm:

My mom's sushi bar is NOT your father's Oldsmobile.

By LoneStranger on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 07:08 pm:

But sometimes your father's Olds pulls up to a corner and orders some of your mom's sushi.

LS

By Dougie on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 07:24 pm:

My mom's sushi is NOT an allowable topic for discussion here.

By Kalliope on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 08:00 pm:

i heard your moms a sushi.

By Mom on Thursday, May 9, 2002 - 08:30 pm:

I changed businesses. I'm now a fishwife.

By Kalli on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 01:40 pm:

i didnt tell you you could speak. git back in the
    kitchen and finish making me some tuna.

By Mom on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 02:03 pm:

I can tuna piano but I can't tuna Kalliope.

By Kalliope on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 03:46 pm:

Hah!

craaaaaaaawfish!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact