Black Sabbatical

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Black Sabbatical
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Margret on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 10:37 am:

I love Fairies Convert from Excel! It's the best song!
    I haven't been here lately. I've actually been doing a lot of work. I got moved. It would have been a promotion, except that for some reason those of use who understand the db structure but aren't developers receive pretty thin respect.
    I now work on the Data Conversion team. What we do is this -- some numbnuts purchases our software, but they have existing software and if someone at the firm has two brain cells to rub together they can get their data in some form out of their old system. I put it into our system. I am really enjoying it, because the phone doesn't ring. I can't even tell you about the joys of no ringing phone. I can't promise that I will be a more frequent visitor, but I will try. Does Semillama have a girlfriend yet? How's Spider doing? Dave, Agatha? I'm sure Swine's not around.

By Nate on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 11:18 am:

we lost the beav.

since you didn't ask about me, up yours.

By Spider on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 11:19 am:

Yay! Margret!

I'm doing fine, thank you for asking. My job's okay. In August, I'll have to move to a new apartment by myself, and I haven't yet found a place I can afford. Eep.

Yesterday, I was in an exceptionally good mood, and I believe I may have behaved slightly inappropriately in my workplace. One person in particular seems to be avoiding me today, probably out of embarrassment.

This morning, I woke up with bruising/redness under my right eye. No swelling. It looks like I was hit, but unless I hit myself in my sleep or something, I can't think of how I could have gotten it.

I'm glad you're here, and I hope you post at least less infrequently than you have.

How is Cameron? Are you still in New Mexico?

By Margret on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 11:25 am:

Cameron is fine, we're both still in New Mexico. Nate, I didn't ask after you because I assumed you were fine. Baby, you were born to run. Spider, I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest you were bitten by an insect or an arachnid while you slept -- probably during REM when your eyelashes fluttered and frightened the intrepid explorer. Unless it was a mosquito, in which case I'd bet you're very fair skinned (all those succulent capillaries right up there at the surface...mmmmm....hemoglobulicious).
    Nate, don't be like that.
    I'm going to be in DC on June 5, then June 7 and 8 I'm in the wilds on Pennsylvania for a wedding, then I'm out of there June 11th. Just letting those of you who may live in the area know in advance.
    Elvis Costello's new cd -- Spider...tell me....is it any good?

By agatha on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 11:49 am:

mmmmmwah!

all is good, margret. i would tell you the details, but they are boring. i've been busy, and i don't know why.

tell that puppy lovin husband of yours hi. i never saw your friends again. i suspect they don't get out much, is this true?

By semillama on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 12:10 pm:

I do finally have a girlfriend. All the torrid
    details are on the What Have you failed to do:
    sleep thread.

In other news, Mavis is engaged, I just
    learned. Everyone seems to be getting
    hitched.

Stick around, will ya?

By Antigone on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 03:37 pm:

I'm eating peanut butter and trailmix... film at 11.

By heather on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 04:35 pm:

see, that's where i differ with apparently everyone

i wouldn't call sem's girl his girlfriend

those words are too restricting

i'm awful

By Antigone on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 05:01 pm:

Would "female casual acquaintance who has no obligation whatsoever to sustain a relationship" be a better name?

By heather on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 05:32 pm:

just as restricting, in a more anally retentive way

friend works for me

By Antigone on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 05:52 pm:

Ah, yes. Maximize the possibilities. Ever taken the Myer's-Briggs type indicator? I'll bet you're a "P" off the scale. :)

By heather on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 06:45 pm:

which must make you a J

off the scale ;)

By eri on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 07:10 pm:

Whatever happened to good old fashioned fuck buddies? See implies friendship but includes sex.

By LoneStranger on Thursday, May 2, 2002 - 08:37 pm:

I'm not wearing any pants.

Film at 11.

LS

By sarah on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 12:55 am:

i'm still not as smart, well-read, or witty as margret.

not at all on film.

By Dougie on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 11:40 am:

Margret, you asked about the new Elvis Costello. I just read this about it, and I pretty much agree, although I wouldn't be as harsh on Elvis as this writer is. Plus, I really really like some of his crossover stuff like the Burt Bacharach cd, and the Terror & Magnificence thing he did with John Harle.

I just got the album last week, and I'm still 50/50 about it. Personally, I like and listen more to the new Garbage I got at the same time than When I Was cruel.

By Spider on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 11:55 am:

I've heard only one new Elvis Costello song -- the song that, I believe, is actually a Charles Mingus song to which Elvis has added words. It was interesting....and confusing. I kept thinking, "Is that....? No. Wait, it is! Or...? No, it's Elvis Costello! ...Or is it?"

I'm more psyched for the two Tom Waits albums that are coming out either next week or the week after that.

By Wavydave on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 12:13 pm:

IMO, Greg Gaffin (or is it Graffin) sounds a LOT like Elvis Costello, only not as nasal.

By Nate on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 12:14 pm:

alice and blood money, 5/7/02. tuesday.

By patrick on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 12:31 pm:

video and music are always released on tuesdays.

the new waits, the tunes ive heard (and they've been playing them like mad) are as good as always.

By Spider on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 12:39 pm:

Thanks.

I just learned the new 16 Horsepower is coming out on June 17. I didn't even know they were working on new material. This makes me very happy.

By dave. on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 12:50 pm:

yuck, yuck and yuck.

By Spider on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 01:05 pm:

So's yer old man. :)

By Margret on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 03:29 pm:

i have decided to completely ignore for the rest of eternity anybody who says anything even the slightest bit critical of elvis costello. yes, that is what i shall do. if you were going to right a children's book about one of your favorite bands/musical artists...the adventures of _________....what would you have the drama be, and the moral...and would you introduce a funny side kick? i am thinking there should be little adventure stories written right this second.
    oh, dave & agatha: my friend/co-worker brian's band....ummm....damn it....ummm...wait, i know this: below the sound. they're touring up your coast. if they show up in your area, you should see them. brian is a fantastic drummer -- good enough to make it worth seeing them just for that.

By Spider on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 03:54 pm:

Hey, I still love him. Don't ignore me!

By Margret on Friday, May 3, 2002 - 05:05 pm:

oh my god i said right instead of write. although...no, no, it was accidental. i'm not ignoring YOU, just bad people.

By j deere on Saturday, May 4, 2002 - 12:13 pm:

That's alwrite.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact