Flood Of Despair

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Flood Of Despair
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Wet Texan on Tuesday, July 9, 2002 - 05:30 pm:

By patrick on Tuesday, July 9, 2002 - 05:58 pm:

i hope droop outfitted his chair with pontoons and a buoyant cooler.

Los Angeles has the lowest rainfall totals in nearly 100 years at this very moment.

This place just needs an one errant match.

Moreover, when the rains do come, Malibu will officially be below sea level.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, July 10, 2002 - 06:12 pm:

Maryland would be glad to take some of the Texas rain too.

By sarah on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 12:38 am:

i think droopy is fine. he's well north of the flooding.

i too am north of the flooding, but closer to it than droopy is. we've had enough rain to keep my garden very, very lush and happy, without the use of hose water. as an unexperienced texas resident, i would say this is VERY rare for texas summers.

the rains began exactly one day after i completed rowing lessons. i was going to join the rowing club, but the city has banned the river (Town Lake) of recreational boating. they've even opened up the dam at Lake Travis, which flooded out the river and riverside properties. very sad. but maybe i'll be able to join the club next month, or in september.

By patrick on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 12:20 pm:

i still like to think of droop floating down main street with a pontoon outfitted chair, in a wife beater, sluggin a bottle of tequila.

By Spider on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 01:58 pm:

I miss droopy.

*MOURN*

He promised he'd write me, but I haven't gotten anything yet, so I guess he just don't love me no more. I sent him a postcard today of a man holding a sign that says "I'M DESPERATE," and on the back I wrote these words:

Men you been lookin' all around for the women
    But they always been right there
    Nowadays a woman has to haul off and hit a man
    T' make him know she's there
    Other night a woman came up 'n hit me
    Like I wasn't even there
    Yeah, mmm dawned on me, man
    That a man been doin' a woman unfair

Y' gotta wait for your woman
    Let her know you're there
    I knew I had to go out 'n tell all of the women
    That I knew they were there
    Now ev'rywhere I go the women all know that I know
    Mmm, there ain't no other place to go but there
    I'm talkin' about women
    Yeah, I'm talkin' about women, man
    They don't have to hit me
    To make me know it's there
    None o' my women have tears in their eyes
    You can ask 'em about me I swear
    'n they'll tell you
    That's one man I swear
    Yeah that's a man
    'nuff about tellin' you this

By patrick on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 02:03 pm:

did you write that spider? if so, may i borrow it, for credit of course.

By Spider on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 02:59 pm:

That's a Captain Beefheart song, called "Nowadays a Woman's Gotta Hit a Man."

Do a google search on the whole title to find the rest of the words.

I hope drooooop doesn't respond with the words to "Grow Fins."

By patrick on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 03:07 pm:

most excellent.

By Spider on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 04:11 pm:

You should look for an mp3 of it. It's a good song. His voice is amazingly similar to Tom Waits', but better, and he came first.

By patrick on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 04:49 pm:

ive been TRYING to get mp3s with this god damn gnutella piece of shit and have yet to have one single success. I was really wanting to make a giant jukebox to listen to here at work. Otherwise id love too. its absolutely frustrating.

By Platypus on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 09:02 pm:

the gnutella guy committied suicide, you know.

By Nate on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 09:25 pm:

from the gnutella.com message boards..

Date: July 9, 2002 @ 9:38 PM
    Cool. Sounds like he's perfected the B2B (Bullet To Brain) protocol.

A genius, even in death.

Date: July 9, 2002 @ 9:44 PM
    Hey guess what? There must be a job opening at Sun now! I will be applying tomorrow.

I sure hope they still hire white people--

By dave. on Thursday, July 11, 2002 - 10:49 pm:

with a world full of people like that, gnutella guy had the right idea.

By blindswine on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 02:30 am:

"get behind the walls of New Rome...
    you wanna buy the farm but the land's not
    yours to own..."

it's been with me since i first saw it down the
    street from the bowery ballroom. the building
    to the left; right before the bridge.
    in block letters fifteen feet high:

CLONE JESUS.

maybe it was always there, but i think i first
    noticed it days after..
    now i see it everywhere. like pacman, u.f.o.
    and inkster.

CLONE JESUS.

so now it's yours.
    and it'll be yours until you can give it away.

good luck.

CLONE JESUS.

By Nate on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 09:25 am:

that's bigger than just a funny.

By spunky on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 09:31 am:

Patrick, are you using that Gnucleus?
    The other day I got a speed of 300.
    Most times, I get "more resources needed".

By patrick on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 12:05 pm:

yes Gnucleus version 1.8.4.0 .

It constantly says the server im tapping into is busy and has to retry in 25 24 23 22 Ive left it for an entire work day with no results.

fuck it.

By eri on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 03:51 pm:

That's so weird. I have only had issues with Gnucleus once. Usually it works fine for me, it's just that I can't find half of the shit I am looking for.

Back to the topic of the thread, I am glad to hear that you didn't get hit bad Sarah. I was worried when I saw the storms moving up to you.

The apartment complex was here early this morning pulling trucks up to our patio. They were moving the girl across from us out. I saw the apartment as they were moving out her furniture and the damage is so bad that they are going to have to rip out all of the walls about 3 ft. up and replace everything below that point. Her place was flooded BAD, so I guess it is pretty amazing that the water never went into our apartment. One of the buildings in the complex was so flood damaged that it has been condemned. As many buildings as we have here it is actually surprising that only one was condemned.

My friend Stephanie went to a memorial yesterday for one of her friends who died in the flood. I guess here in San Antonio 8 people have died.

At least the worst is over.

By Nate on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 04:33 pm:

how fast are you connecting, patty? a lot of people will ban under a certain bandwidth. maybe that's your problem.

By patrick on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 04:45 pm:

at the moment (ITS WORKING FOR ONCE!!!) my receive rate is 10.83kb/sec.

not sure what that translates too.

As I understand it, we have DSL service here but i dunno for sure.

By patrick on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 04:53 pm:

actually im noticing the speed of the other servers is terribly slow. I just downloaded a song that had tons more speed. Thats probably it.

By spunky on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 04:55 pm:

I do not think I ever got a connection that quick on dial-up. The best I ever hoped for was 4-7 kb, and I was connecting at 48-51 kb 98% of the time.

By patrick on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 05:00 pm:

ive been kinda diggin this song by the british guy "Badly Drawn Boy" a tune called "Something to Talk About". Its sorta out of my realm of things but its damn catchy. Know it?

Well im connected here at work. When I connect here at work, i click Explorer and boom im in. Is that a "dial up"?

By patrick on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 05:01 pm:

when i click on 'advanced' it says my cache is full. Do i need to take out the trash?

By patrick on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 05:04 pm:

sweet Willie Nelson and Johnny cash Folsom Prison Blues.

By patrick on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 05:20 pm:

ok, ive got this figured out now. when i do a search i sort by speed and go fo rthe fastests. Im picking shit up left and right now. thanks guys.

By semillama on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 05:25 pm:

Clone Jesus - I remember hearing about that,
    swine. It may be a joke, but I heard about a
    group over in Europe that wants to try and take
    DNA samples from teh SHroud of Turin and
    clone Christ.

He could physically be your very own personal
    saviour then.

By sarah on Friday, July 12, 2002 - 08:21 pm:

well, shit. that sure as hell would fufill the prophecies. we could get lucky and actually expeience the second comming, and perhaps even the Rapture.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact