Is the 8 hour workday obsolete?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Is the 8 hour workday obsolete?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Namaste on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 02:51 pm:

OK, I work a job. It's boring. Not challenging. I spend all day sending email, surfing, waiting for something to happen. Little does.

So I think 'Aha! I will get a different job, more challenging, less downtime' - however it seems to me that as I ask around, many other people seem to also spend lots of their day posting to websites, surfing, being unchallenged, and doing a little bit o' work along the way. A friend of mine has even ventured the idea that the 8 hr workday is obsolete. Because computers improve our efficiency there is less work to do - so the day is filled with downtime where people try to look busy.

So the question is, do you know people who are not spending half the day surfing at their jobs? Do you think it's common or uncommon it to blow half your 'workday' on goofing off?

So far today I have done about 20 mins of actual work and the time is 2:44 EST.

By Antigone on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 02:54 pm:

Ah, I remember the days of surfing the web all day and getting paid $77/hour. It was fun, but I quit to "challenge myself."

Christ, that was stoopid.

By Spider on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 03:13 pm:

God, I wish I had a job that required me to be occupied for 8 hours. I hate having nothing to do.

And now that I actually have lots of work to do, I don't do it because I have developed the bad habit of checking message boards consistently throughout the day.

Sucks.

Antigone.....$77/hour?? What job was that? Could I do it?

By Nate on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 04:44 pm:

i was going to say something about 'this is why you go for computer science instead of psych', but, goddamn you antigone.

of course, $77/hour was probably before 03/2000.

By Margret on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 05:21 pm:

I frequently have a lot of down time, but about as often I have work that is deadline driven and requires me to be here as long as it takes to get it done. And because it's not scheduled through here, and because people suck, I can't anticipate it and start it early or whatever so I can leave after a full 8 hours. No, that would be entirely too fucking easy. Yep.

By Nate on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 06:21 pm:

i'm salaried, i have responsibilities, and i work until my responsibilities are met.

if that means 30 hours one week and 80 the next, there you go.

yippie.

By Antigone on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 06:23 pm:

Nope, Nate. It was 3/2001.

After that, I got a $30/hour raise.

Of course, now I have about $100 in my bank account and I can't seem to get a job.

Ain't that funny?

By Nate on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 08:03 pm:

3/2001 is what i meant anyway.

it is funny. it is all funny.

By sarah on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 09:34 pm:

i work diligently all day long. but this is the first job i've had in which i've wanted to do that. if i do have down time, i read web development journals or study something job-related, or i study stocks and investment, or pay bills, or run an errand. i rarely surf the web or send email or just jack around.

i get paid a decent salary, but nothing mind blowing.

that may change soon though. with this job interview on wednesday.

By kazoointoit on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 10:39 pm:

I've been working in a file room this summer. I work two hours after everyone leaves so that other people in the office can check out files. We aren't supposed to check e-mail or surf the web so I wait until those two hours before I get on-line. My immediate supervisor could care less, but her manager freaks out about it.

When I first started working there I asked her what I should do when everyone leaves. She looked at what I was doing (chatting on IM) and said, "keep doing that." When I asked if I should finish the work left for the day she said that unless the checked-in files get overwhelming I wasn't to do anything so that there would be enough work in the morning so that there would be enough for people to look busy so her manager wouldn't freak.

I worked for another part of this mamoth organization (Harvard) a few years ago. Basically it seems as though there are tho kinds of employees there...those who are completely overworked and those who are bored.

I still know people in industries that still bust their ass, or at least work steadily for 8+ hours a day...manufacturing, nursing, retail, food. etc.

By heather on Monday, July 29, 2002 - 11:14 pm:

i can't tell you all my new job both because it is so great and pays so well that you would all be sad and also because it is very very hush hush top secret and someone might do bad things to you

By sarah on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 12:28 am:

i know what your job is. i won't tell, but here's a hint: it has something to do with european travel.

By Czarina on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 06:14 am:

I pretty much work,while I'm at work.But my job is not computer related.

Sometimes,when I get my patients to bed,and they stay there,I surf.

8 hours of no real work sounds like Nirvana to me.I work 12 hour shifts,and am emotionally fried by the time I get off.

But then again,this is the only job I've ever had,that the staff is more dysfunctional than the patients.

By patrick on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 11:29 am:

heather is a SKY MARSHALL on Lufthansa Airways!!!!!!

By Kalliope on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 11:35 am:

this is actually kinda funny. so im working for
    my best friend's buisness...she owns a mail
    order scooter parts company. and she's all
    hooked on this scooterbbs. so one day i'm in
    there and she's bitching about how much she
    checks it in one day. i said, "i know what thats
    like. i used to be hooked on this site called
    sorabji." she gets this weird look on her face
    and says, "sorabji? uh, thats the same guy
    that runs the scooter board."

come to find out, mark is one of the scooter
    guys. i think anyway. i might be wrong...but
    there's someone who signs the scooter board
    with the nick "sorabji", and im pretty sure its
    mark.

small world.

oh, speaking of which. the guy who wrote "its
    a small world" croaked today.

By eri on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 02:01 pm:

I work my entire shift, but that is going to change now. Of course, I don't work full time. Just 3 nights a week. I am busy almost ALL of the time and don't get any breaks or anything. I love it.

This will all change this week, though. I will be sitting at the podium and doing nothing but taking names and ringing the little lighted pagers to let people know their table is ready.....why am I confined to something so completly boring...........because I am a total and complete klutz and after going to Sea World will be on crutches for two freaking weeks!!!! Way to go Eri!!!!! My boss was so happy that I wasn't just quitting because I was on crutches that he decided to bring in someone to do everything but the podium, and I am confined to the podium for the next two weeks.

By Antigone on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 04:35 pm:

Mark runs the scooter site.

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 06:19 pm:

Damn. I remember working a regular job. 1-11, Wednesday-Saturday, for peanuts (peanuts and a half for overtime). Now I'm betwixt and between, trying to figure out my life's path.

So far, I'm dividing my time among a family foundation, looking to give grants to grassroots agencies here in Somerville, volunteering at an agency in Cambridge that's trying to organize young people around social change philanthropy, and taking photos.

I actually managed to combine some of this, and did some photography for a local agency that works with youth; these will be for their website and promotional materials. (Patrick, when I get my butt in gear, I'd love to have you check some of them out)

I'm hoping to have all this shake out in the next year or so, and have a path carved out for myself by then. We'll see....

By kazoointoit on Tuesday, July 30, 2002 - 06:35 pm:

I fell asleep in the basement file room today.

By moonit on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 02:38 am:

I worked my ass off all day. I had time to grab lunch tho. And I went home just after five, instead of 7ish like usual hell wednesday.

Sending chocolate to production seems to get your ads set faster.

By J on Wednesday, July 31, 2002 - 02:51 am:

I sit on my ass all day,either watching t.v. or surfing the internet,then about anywhere from a half a hour to a hour before my husband gets home I hustle my ass around here and clean,start laundry,do the dishes,and "try" to make it look like I'm still trying. It's like a contest to me. Quiting my business was the worst thing I ever did to myself,not that I had much to say about it.

By Kalliope on Thursday, August 1, 2002 - 03:47 pm:

obviously by the number of posts i've left on here today, i've been sitting on my ass at work all day doing nothing.

crap. i wanna go home and cuddle my kitties.

By eri on Friday, August 2, 2002 - 01:22 pm:

Since my "Sea World" incident I sit on my ass all of my shift, smile, write names, punch in beeper numbers and that is ALL I do anymore. My boss thinks it is so bad that he is talking about shorting my hours next week. He is doing it so that my ankle can heal, but damn, I need the hours right now. That pay check will come in right before my parent get out here for their vacation and right when Hayley goes back to school, so I want as many hours as I can get on that check. Ugh.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact