why can't martin sheehan be president?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: why can't martin sheehan be president?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Joe on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 01:25 am:

hey,...i would prefer that a nobel prize-winning economist be president rather than the punk, "c" student son of a former chief executive. any thoughts?

By J on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 03:15 am:

Actually I think I should be President,I could use the extra money and I'd whip this country in shape,I'm good like that.I'd hire only the hottest secret agents and I'd make Clinton look like a saint,I rent White House rooms out to people that paid alot of money to my campaign,and if they gave me mo money,I will personaly whip them,and when they are gone I'd do my hottest secret agent man.This would be my campaighn song:Roll them Roll them Roll them,keep those joints acoming,keep those joints acoming,get high.And my motto is,question authority,Would that work?

By kazoo on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 10:00 am:

Who is Martin Sheehan?

And which nobel prize winning economist did you have in mind? James Heckman, Daniel McFadden, Robert Lucas? I mean, how do you think that George Akerlof's study on the role of asymmetric information in the market for "lemon" used cars would assist a president in making decisions about foreign policy. Seriously though, this guy's research uses sociology, psychology, anthropology among others. And his areas of expertise include macroeconomics, poverty, family problems, crime, discrimination, monetary policy and German unification. Someone like that, perhaps, though I'd have to know more about their stand on other social issues.

Otherwise, "nobel prize-winning economist" is just an arbitrary category. Obviously, you are going to find someone more intelligent there than Bush, but it isn't as though "intelligence" is the issue. I mean, Bush has a lot of people working under him actually making the decisions, writing the policy, etc. who are "intelligent" (even if I disagree passionately with almost everything they do and how they do it).

In terms of who I'd like to see as a world LEADER, I'm not immediately taken with any of these guys. Well, except for maybe Amartya Sen, but he could never be our president anyway. Unless of course we were to suddenly be colonized by India. And no, I haven't really done any in depth reading, just a cursory glance from this site.

Now, having said that, I would most certainly vote for *J*

By patrick on Monday, October 7, 2002 - 11:38 am:

"And which nobel prize winning economist did you have in mind? James Heckman, Daniel McFadden, Robert Lucas? I mean, how do you think that George Akerlof's study on the role of asymmetric information in the market for "lemon" used cars would assist a president in making decisions about foreign policy"

dork.

By Joe on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 02:40 am:

the point is,...wouldn't you like to see someone who is intelligent leading our country?

By Joe on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 03:04 am:

and,...kazoo,...sorry i spelled his name incorrectly. it doesn't mean that i don't recognize the names of any of the economists you cited in your response. again,...wouldn't you like to have an intelligent human being run this country?

By Nate on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 08:27 am:

i think the point is,... intelligence isn't a necessary quality of a good president.

By kazoo on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 11:23 am:

thank you nate

"again,...wouldn't you like to have an intelligent human being run this country?"

I want someone whose "ass could make her a Sunday face."

VOTE FOR J

I want a president I can respect and who displays many qualities needed for leadership. I'm assuming that person would be more intelligent than Dubya. But that's too easy. I'm more intelligent than Dubya, but you don't me for president. I would run on a pretentious post-structuralist-materialist-feminist-jedi-goddess platform and would garner support by make Simpson's, Star Wars, and Lord of the Rings refrences in all my campaign speeches. My first gentleman would replace the secret service with professional wrestlers, put "Bob" on the ten dollar bill, and excavate the front lawn of the white house.

VOTE FOR J

By patrick on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 11:43 am:

nico ordered a Simpsons/Clue game for me last night. How hotshit is that?

By kazoo on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 12:09 pm:

that is hotshit. That is so cute. And you can use the game pieces to entertain the little one.

I got a gift from you-know-who yesterday. 17 CDs, chocolate, jelly babies (like gummi bears, but babies...yes, babies) and a stamp with my name on it. How hotshit is that?

By patrick on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 12:30 pm:

amongst other (and obvious) fantastic things, you must be a demon in the sack.

we've never seen sem this kookoo. 17cds???

aside

hearing Johnny Cash do an accoustic cover of Depeche Mode's 'Pesonal Jesus' is so.....whats the word.......help me out here....

By patrick on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 12:32 pm:

to hear him say

".....reach out and touch me...."

its so so...so....

By Dougie on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 12:47 pm:

creepy?

Speaking of unfortunate covers, I heard Joan Osborne and Isaac Hayes do "Smiling Faces Sometimes". Holy crap was that bad.

By dave. on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 01:13 pm:

i took an enormous crap a few moments ago. i was sweating and shaking. my left leg was bouncing involuntarily. fortunately, it cleaned up real good.

By Nate on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 01:44 pm:

awesome.

By J on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 01:50 pm:

You probably know this already Dave, there is a site called rate my poo,put that new camera to work or better yet start your own poo project and you could record your daily b.m's in a "log".

By semillama on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 04:52 pm:

They are real English Jelly Babies, too, just
    like Doctor Who eats. They are kinda funky
    tasting.

Not only did Kazoo get 17 CDs, she got 17
    very GOOD cds, ranging from several Zappa
    albums to Fela Kuti to Muse and Hum.

plus, of course, a certain soundtrack. I wish I
    could have been there when she saw that
    one.

By Nate on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 06:35 pm:

the soundtrack to 'bullitt" ?

By semillama on Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 10:57 pm:

nope.

By dave. on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 12:23 am:

j, this one today would have been perfect for something like that. it was a shit mandala. promentalshitbackwashpsychoenemadoodoo.

By kazoo on Friday, October 11, 2002 - 10:22 am:

now that is a poop to be proud of.

By Log head on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 03:47 pm:

By Nate on Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 04:42 pm:

nice.

By patrick on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 11:43 am:

holy shit, that guy rules the school. did you watch "Ugh"

By Nate on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 11:59 am:

i liked 'box'.

By semillama on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 05:44 pm:

I liked "dig"

By Nate on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 07:47 pm:

"dig" wasn't my favorite. neither was "ugh" for that matter.

"pet", on the other hand. and "jam" and "log" both made me feel funny.

By Nate on Monday, October 14, 2002 - 07:47 pm:

"dig" wasn't my favorite. neither was "ugh" for that matter.

"pet", on the other hand. and "jam" and "log" both made me feel funny.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact