Is it just me....

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Is it just me....
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 07:37 pm:

Is it just me or does the Chinese president look like he took the short bus as a kid?

eh?

eh?

in the last one, his wife has a expression on her face like she just picked Dubya's pocket

By Nate on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 08:26 pm:

in the first one he looks like he's waiting for bush to smell something he just made.

By dave. on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 08:57 pm:

mongoloid he was a mongoloid
    happier than you and me
    and it determined what he could see
    one chromosome too many
    and it determined what he could see
    and he wore a hat
    and he had a job
    and he brought home the bacon
    so that no one knew
    his friends were unaware
    nobody even cared

By Christopher on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 01:49 am:

Devo played at Civic Center in San Francisco today.
    I thought free concerts were a thing of the past since the depression started. Collapsed economies make me very sad.

God made man,
    but he used the monkey to do it
    Apes' in the plan,
    And we're all here to prove it;
    I can walk like an ape,
    I can talk like an ape,
    I can do what monkeys do;
    Yes God made man,
    but a monkey supplied the glue...

By agatha on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 12:32 pm:

and where the hell have you been, young man?

By Christopher on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 08:08 pm:

Hi Agatha,
    When I am not doing network consulting (which is doing very well, I'm glad to say),I have been stripping paint off the wainscoting in my entry way and front hall for the past month and a half. The wainscots are redwood, and are tall enough to come up to my eyebrows (I'm 5'11''). The major work is finished, and I am doing the detailing with a dental pick. Once that is done (next week), I sand everything, which will take another week. Then I stain, then I wood putty the small cracks, and nail holes, then I touch up the tiny, tiny crevices where there is still old paint residue with oil paint that matches the color of the new stain, then I polyurethane, sand, polyutherane again, sand again, and then polyurethane the final coat. Once that is done, then I will paint above the wainscots, and should be finished a couple weeks before Christmas, if we aren't annihilated by suitcase nukes first. I hope you, and everybody else here, are doing well. Well, time to go pick paint out of my cracks...Heh, heh, heh.

By agatha on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 11:37 am:

wow, that's some serious devotion. on the other hand, we've been talking about replacing the tile in our kitchen and refinishing the floors in our living room for, ohhhh, about four years now. you're a better man than i.

By Lapis on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 02:30 am:

Projects, projects... I'll be happy to get my bedroom clean.

There's something about this place... just can't leave it alone.

By Mailart. on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 09:46 am:

mailart?

By Spider on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 09:59 am:

YEAH, what about the mailart? (Sorry, couldn't contain myself.)

Christopher, how is your partner doing with his cochlear implant?

By Christopher on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 02:45 pm:

Hi Spider,
    Len is doing fine, but progress is slow. He is seeing a Hearing Therapist to help him understand speech, and sees his audiologist every few months for a "tune-up". Right now, he is complaining that everything is too loud, and he keeps turning the volume down to the point that he can barely hear me when I call his name from 5 feet away, so we will be seeing his audiologist next week to get it adjusted. On a bright note, the FDA recently approved the "Hi-Res" mode for general use, and he should get programmed with it in February. This programming strategy is about 100 times more powerful, and can deliver an incredible amount of clarity of sound. Len is looking forward to it. I don't know if he will ever be able to understand speech in the way that you and I do. Casual listening is incredibly sophisticated. He does well on single word tests, and multiple choice sentences, but real world skills take years if not a lifetime to develop. I'm glad that he hasn't gotten frustrated with it, because it is a big commitment. Occasionally, he will have a deaf day (he just leaves the external piece off). I know that he prefers his silent world to our noisy one. Thats not to say that he doesn't enjoy hearing; it's just so radically different from what he has lived with so far. All in all, he is doing quite well. It seems like a miracle to most people, but in reality it is a tool that he will learn to use. The biggest challenge is the rewiring of his brain to accept the cacaphonous din that we all take for granted. If you think about it, you'll realize what a noisy place we live in.
    P.S. I am taking sign language courses at Vista College in Berkeley, and hope to get my degree in about a year. If I am accepted, I will be trying to get my interpreters certification. Hows that for a career change?

By Antigone on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 04:13 pm:

"he should get programmed with it in February"

I still can't get over this phrase. You're changing his sensory software. Kewl.

By agatha on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 06:30 pm:

do you really want to know?

By Mailart on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 09:08 pm:

yes.

By Christopher on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 12:00 pm:

Well, I assume you have something negative to say, but before you do, you should know that technical interpreters earn about $80k a year. Considering that I haven't been able to find full time work in the networking sector for a year, and have lived through 3 significant tech downturns, I don't think it's a bad alternative. You might also be interested to know that I've been selling some of my stained glass windows, and if that picked up enough, I'd gladly do that full time, even if I were only able to earn $40k a year. I'd rather have work that means something to me, and not dissport myself in a degrading manner just for a few thousand stock options; besides, I've already been there, done that. The tech sector is dead until that asshole in the Whitehouse is kicked to the curb in 2005; I may as well try to do something I enjoy.

By agatha on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 06:38 pm:

sorry, Christopher, I was talking about the individual who is making me feel bad (my issue, not theirs...) about the mail art. I have nothing negative to say about your career goals, in fact, I say- you go on with your bad self.

Mail Art

Let me think about the best way to express what I'm experiencing with the mail art. Hmmmm.

Okay, basically, I chose to give myself a project that was far more complicated than it had to be, and now I'm alternately committed to completing it and avoiding it altogether. I am making something that is a compilation of all of the stuff everyone sent me for mail art, and it involves small pictures, and a great deal of cutting, and the end result is about 2300 small pieces of paper that are eventually to be sorted into 25 books with about 15 pages each. It's kind of hard to explain, but I accidentally dropped the box that I had everything sorted in a while back, and now everything is totally out of order. Add to that the fact that I no longer remember who sent me what on some of the items in the project because I've had them for so long, and the end result is a big discouraging pile of pictures and text that I need to sort through. The up side to it all is that I actually began working on it again last weekend after leaving the box in the corner for a very very long time, and I got enough done to be encouraged. I am volunteering at this community print studio, and nobody every comes in on the evening hours, so I've left the project there and am going to work on it when I'm at the studio and nobody needs any help, which is most of the time. So...........

there you have it. I wish I could tell you that it was done, but that would be a lie.

/end transmission

By Spider on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 08:28 am:

I understand, Agatha. I promised everyone shrines and then got overwhelmed with the work involved in making each one. Mailart and shrines = cool ideas but bitches to follow through with.

Just promise me you'll put my baby picture on your refrigerator, where I belong. :) I was the little brown-haired girl in a pink coat and white hat sitting on a sofa.

By agatha on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 07:06 pm:

absolutely. the mail art will happen, you all have my promise. i know i've said that before, but it's really true.

yeah, the shrines are a lot. you're absolutely right. my stuff is mostly assembly line type stuff at this point, but you have to be uniquely creative with each shrine. that's hard.

By agatha on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 07:08 pm:

by the way, i remember all of your stuff. there's just a couple of little knick knacks that i can't remember who sent what. when you get your mail art, if you have the wrong stuff under your name, post it here and everyone can swap.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact