the decline of the crats

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: the decline of the crats
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 11:03 am:

goodnight democrats

we need a new party, socially liberal, fiscally conservative, not hung up on jesus, not hung up on marx.

but in the mean time, the democrats are certainly going down the tubes. you poor, poor people.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 11:35 am:

let em go.

let em learn the hard way.

you should have seen this email i got yesterday from Feinstein's office about the Iraq legislation she rubber stamped after feigning her disapproval.

dumb bitch. of course i realize im talking to some lugnut intern but hey....

i essentially told her she blew it. she had gone 'gray davis' on those of us who held out an inkling of hope until the last couple of months.

not YOU poor poor people.

US poor people. you sit in the boat too.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 11:39 am:

further, id like to register my resentment of idea of a "lame duck" session. We pay those assholes a lot of money between now and January. Id appreciate it if the Dem's just didnt go back up to the hill, pull their pants down, bend over and even supply the condoms.

By rwtrace on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 11:58 am:

By rwtrace on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 11:59 am:

By The Watcher on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 12:00 pm:

Nate,

Check out the Libertarian Party.

By semillama on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 12:28 pm:

yeah, nate. You should really check those guys out. you'd LOVE the LIBERTARIAN PARTY. You should really LEARN more about THEM and then TALK about it HERE ON THE BOARDS.

On VARIOUS different POSTS. Every now and then.

By semillama on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 12:29 pm:

ps. I've been saying we need to import the Raving Loonie party from the UK for a while.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 12:31 pm:

hey Nate. Check out the Reform Party.

the R E F O R M P A R T Y

By Nate on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 12:45 pm:

sorry, i meant REAL party. something with a brain trust and the ability to field viable candidates.

i'm regsitered libertarian. the libby for governor SPIT on a talkshow host.

christ. it's all a sham anyway.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 01:28 pm:

I don't think the Libertarians will have a good candidate for a lonnnng time.

At least we finally had one for Governor in this last election.

He even pulled in one percent of the vote. That's not bad in a one party state like Maryland. And, even with a three to one margin of Democrats to Republicans we got a Republican Governor. The first since Agnew!

By wisper on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 01:32 pm:

okay, i give up. I need to know, how do you register to be for a political party? What does it mean? How do you do it? Do you get a member card or something?
    Doesn't that toy with the idea of secret ballots?
    Does it mean that you never have to vote again, and that they'll just automatically put you down as voting for the party you're registered with? Does it save time?

WHAT DOES IT MEAN, DAMN YOU ALL

By Spider on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 01:47 pm:

When you register to vote, you check the box or write in whatever party you want to be affiliated with. When you get your registration card in the mail, it will say GREEN or whatever on the bottom.

You have to actually vote for your vote to be counted. No one assumes your vote for you.

If you're registered independent (not affiliated with any party), you can't vote in the primary elections, because you have to vote with the party you're affiliated with. Unless I'm woefully misinformed.

For the big election in November, you can vote for any candidate in any party, regardless of affiliation.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 01:57 pm:

you can vote in primaries in some states if you are independent. i did this past spring. the whole god damn concept of being independent, such as myself, is not being tied to any party, so you should be allowed to vote.

By semillama on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 02:20 pm:

Yeah. It never prevents republicans from voting in the democratic primaries and vice verse, from what I've heard.

By Spider on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 02:22 pm:

Weird. Could it it vary from state to state?

By patrick on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 02:59 pm:

yes. it does. primaries are a weird complex thing of which there is not national standard

By rwtrace on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 04:08 pm:

It does not, but I think in Texas you can ask for a straight party ticket, and just check or click or stamp or poke or whatever the party of your choice and trott out of the poll.

Missouri had something similar on the front of our butterfly ballots.

There was a place to punch dem or repub, but I never did that, I actually went through the entire thing...

By patrick on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 04:22 pm:

read about how primaries differ from state to state here

Open primary, closed primary, jungle primary cross-filing system. each state, while they have many similar systems, varies to one degree or another.

By wisper on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 04:27 pm:

so then the point of registering with a party is.....?

By trace on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 04:30 pm:

you get autobots calling you to remind you to vote...

and the media polling service will not call you if you have registered as republican

By patrick on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 04:39 pm:

as far as im concerned wisper, there is none.

most american monkeys, like to take an 'us vs. them' stance, so picking one team or the other appeals to most in that regard.

By Antigone on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 04:42 pm:

Yeah, that damn liberal media. I'll bet even Fox News won't call you if you're a stinky republican.

By Spider on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 04:42 pm:

Well, to be fair, there are some political reasons, apart from the obvious. For example, the county I grew up in is strongly Republican, and there are more than a few cases of someone running for sherriff or judge as Democrats, losing, re-registering as Republican, running again, and winning.

By patrick on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 05:03 pm:

again, demonstrating how stupid the American public really is.

By Antigone on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 07:54 pm:

By trace on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 09:11 pm:

i almost snorted coke out of my nose on that one.
    Try NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, CNN and Salon????

By trace on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 09:11 pm:

oh, and NPR and PBS

By Antigone on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 09:53 pm:

Salon is the only one you list that could be considered liberal, and it's nothing close to a major media outlet. 20000 subscribers ain't "major."

Calling MSNBC or CNN liberal is just silly.

NPR and PBS, at least the news portions, are rather balanced. At least they're more balanced than the Bush bootlickers and Clinton haters over at Fox News.

By Nate on Wednesday, November 13, 2002 - 11:16 pm:

NPR and PBS are leftie pits.

By semillama on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 09:11 am:

I disagree. Of course, if by "leftie" and "liberal" you mean any attempt to seriously consider and discuss a side to the story contrary what comes out of the conservative government spin cycle, then I concede that you are probably correct.

Here in Ohio, the "liberal media" is indeed a myth. And calling today's cnn and other corporate media sources either leftie or rightie obscures the fact that they are primarily concerned with what will draw in viewers, and whoever gets the most viewers gets the most advertising dollars. So, if liberal opinion programs had more viewers, then they should draw more advertising dollars as well. The same is true for conservative opinion programs.

I think Michael Moore had something with his new movie and his examination of the culture of fear in America ( which bears a lot more study). Fear sells. Whoever is the best at marketing fear (either in the news or in political campaigning), comes out on top. Hence, attack ads. Hence, "war on this" and "War on that" and "Y2K" and "duck and cover" and so on and so forth.

By Nate on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 09:54 am:

do you get moore's email thing, sem? that boy sells fear with the best of them.

so is that politics? scaring your target audience into voting for you? the dems scare the ancient and the pubs scare the earners?

By trace on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 10:04 am:

I will say I cannot argue the comments you have made about FoxNews.

Any TV purchased and installed by the DoD is always tuned to FoxNews Network.
    That includes the TV that is in the Comm Room where Emergency Action Messages and orders are recieved from the SecDef, CIC, C3 and the Pentagon.

By The Watcher on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 12:41 pm:

It's easy to tell which way the media leans in their reporting. Just listen to the questions asked. And, their manner of asking them.

I find most "reporters" today lean one way or the other politiaclly. Most, tend to be liberal now. Very few actually report the news. In other words simply "Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How". Today they are "Journalists". They use all the tried and true methods of propaganda to put forth their ideas of what the world should be. They believe that their audience are either like minded leaders or simpletons that have to be lead in the right direction.

By spunky on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 01:35 pm:

I was watching one of the new "sitcoms", Good Morning Miami on nbc about a month before the elections. I will never forget a scene where the male lead actor sits down and picks up a magazine and reads "Billion Dollars of surplus budget is squandered, worste economic condition in years" and says "What are those people thinking? It's the economy!"

Of course, there is always "That's My Bush" on comedy central. And don't even get me started on "The Left Wing"....

By semillama on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 12:52 pm:

Well, spunky, you can always watch "JAG" or "The Agency" or something like that...

By wisper on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 01:20 pm:

i only trust John Stewart and the Onion for news now.

By spunky on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 02:53 pm:

No, I prefer "snow" to most TV crap these days.

I get a kick out of asking my oldest "You know what the best thing on TV is?". Then I turn it off.....

By Nate on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 05:25 pm:

dude, it's cool to watch TV again. chill out.

By spunky on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 05:29 pm:

oh, then I would miss out on the shocked gasps of Hayley...
    :-)

By patrick on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 07:13 pm:

this cat writes some amazing columns for the LA Weekly. Not always political either. To me, he's hard to peg, will sucker punch anyone worthy and frankly, should be a watermark for anyone writing op/ed pieces. He goes a step further, and this article is a prime example

By patrick on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 07:28 pm:

I actually know very little about Pelosi nate , i suppose until now. I guess since shes in your area, you might know more about her.

However, after reading this, even if its half true, the Dems fucked up, again.

I had read about the Presido matter.

By conservativelyspunky on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 11:06 am:

By Pug on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 07:17 am:

Hey, all----back after another prolonged absence...Sem, really dug your commentary on the culture of fear. Totally on the nose.
    A few weeks back I attended an anti-war protest and of course a lot of the mouthpieces giving speeches were up there, exhorting people to "get out there and vote". I cornered the head of the local Green Party and asked her the obvious question----past the local level, who the hell is there to vote for?!
    The big race was the Senate Race---Tim Hutchinson, the big right wing moral majority-type-guy(whose brother is head of the DEA), versus the Democrat, Christ, I forget his name already---Republican wannabe(see Clinton, Gore, Lieberman, etc.) who's made a name for himself by going after Naturopaths...this is a CHOICE?
    I hate Hutchinson ANYWAY----I hated him even MORE for making me vote for the other guy.
    The Dems could probably do well to stop trying to be Pubs---but that would ruin a decade-long record...

By patrick on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 11:56 am:

in the last 8 years greens have made tremendous strides. my pal angry sam, 8 years ago donated a $100 to the green party for governor, i believe,, and the guy actually came to his house and talked politics with him. in 8 years time, they are taking more and more margins in state and local elections. 8 years ago they barely got 1-3%. now you expect to see a green get 5-10%.

By Nate on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:18 pm:

it's too bad the greens aren't fit to rule.

By Czarina on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 12:43 pm:

Howdy Pug!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact