least harm veggie bitches!

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: least harm veggie bitches!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Saturday, January 18, 2003 - 09:54 pm:

By Lapis on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 02:31 pm:

What do those cows and lambies eat? They don't graze. Their feed is treated with pesticides and herbicides and harvested from the field. Not only that, but it takes 117 pounds of wheat to produce one pound of beef.

If you don't want pesticides to be used, eating meat isn't the answer. They'll only stop using pesticides when it becomes profitable, so buy organic when you can.

By Nate on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 02:41 pm:

it's not about pesticides, it's about harvesting machinery that kills mammals. like half the population in a field for one harvest.

By Platypus on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 09:05 pm:

the harvesting machinery that harvests lapis' 117 pounds of wheat?

By Lapis on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 01:54 pm:

Let me teach you another word for beef:
    Sub-se-dized.

Because it's an American thing to do, the government keeps the price of beef down so places like McDonalds can afford to sell all those hamburgers for cheap. Factory farms are fine, but on the other hand, (family) cattle ranchers are practically dirt poor, the only time they ever taste beef is if a cow falls and injures itself to the point that it won't make it to market. All cattle have their grazing supplemented by a meal made af harvested grain, hormones, sometimes even dead cattle sheep etc for protein. Dairy cows included.

If you want to avaoid harvesting machinery at it's most obstructive, hormones and just eat healthy tasty food, I suggest going to your local farmer's market to pick up veggies and fruit. The majority of this stuff is healthier (than what you'd find at Safeway) tastes better and you're supporting family farms to continue being good to the environment (rather than the factory farm that'd set up shop on the same land if they fail.

If you're worried about protein, get a hutch and raise a few chicks or ducklings. They'll run around your yard, fertilize your lawn (all natural!) eat bugs (ever seen a duck go after a moth? A riot!) and eventually lay eggs. You can also butcher them later on if you want. They'll eat corn, alphalpha, just about any type of small seed or grain, or commercially made poultry feed which is fairly inexpensive.

By Nate on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 03:36 pm:

i eat healthy tasty food. beef. and bacon.

i know some "family" cattle ranchers. they do fine. most agriculture in the US is subsidized. i agree it is unfair.

but it won't stop me from eating. and i don't mind killing things for my food.

By Bigkevin on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 03:56 pm:

I also don't mind animals dying to keep me alive, what i don't like is not getting that same dead animal from the grocer in a neat, clean styro/saranwrap, package. I'am sure however, that where this clean option not available to me i would rapidly overcome me desire for neat/clean meat for the kill it yourself kind. That is just because i like Meat, red, white, sea, land, air I don't care its all good if you spice it just right.

Man is the apex predator, its not my fault cows didn't invent guns first.

So while not adding any new info to the fray, im sure i pissed someone off so, have at'r

By moonit on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 04:31 pm:

I read a book yesterday called The Year of Meat.

It was pretty interesting, especially when they got into the drugs that cows are supplied.

Ah, New Zealand Beef and Lamb. Home grown, raised on grass. No added chemicals. Tasty.

By Lapis on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 04:38 pm:

If.

We raised our cattle and other meat animals on fresh green grass.

We didn't give them hormones.

They were treated for disease individually.

Butchered in a humane manner.

I would be more responsive to eating them.

I like my vegetables.

By moonit on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 05:30 pm:

Seriously Lapis, go find the meat book. I think you might like it.

By Nate on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 05:33 pm:

i had a leg of new zealand lamb the other night.

mm.

By moonit on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 06:23 pm:

We had some last weekend. Its usually too bloody expensive to buy. The Pandyr slow cooked it and it was fantastic.

By sarah on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 09:53 am:

lambs have by far the most divine tasting animal flesh. i could eat it every day and never tire of the taste.

i don't the think the problem is agriculture. the problem is monoculture.

i'd say 90% of the meat/chicken i buy is organic or free-range. the rest is tuna fish, sausage, deli meat, and other processed stuff. it's hella expensive, but worth it. i don't need any foreign hormones cruising around in my system. i'm crazy enough as it is.

By Czarina on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 10:35 am:

'tis a noble idea, but just not praticle. Pollutants/toxins are everywhere. In the air, in the water, in the poop the contaminated cows,pigs an chickens et all deliver us, which we term "organic". One could go insane, trying to eliminate all the bad stuff from things we ingest.

And, as long as we're on a tirade for the unjustness of what individual farmers have to endure, I feel it only right to speak up for the poor,hungry and in desperate need of dental repairs, poppy farmers.

They get like $30.00 for their whole crop, and by the time it hits the streets here, its worth about a quatrillion dollars.

Well, that just doesn't seem fair.

By Spider on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:03 am:

I sheepishly admit that I find lamb repulsive. I've had it several times, and each time it tasted diseased. I gag at the thought of mutton.

By patrick on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:46 am:

im so confused.

By The Watcher on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 01:26 pm:

The government does not subsidize farmers to keep prices low. They subsidize to raise prices.

They pay them not to grow crops or raise cattle. That keeps the prices higher not lower.

By Lapis on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 02:42 pm:

Thank you for the correction.

By buying organic, you still ingest a certain degree of imputities, but no more than what was there before. No additional pesticides or hormones, not free of these things. No GMOs either.

There's also transitional organic, vegetables grown under organic guidelines and procedures but on land that was previously treated with pesticide and fertilizer; I think they have to grow organically for five years before they can achieve official "organic" status.

Organic is more than just letting nature do its thing, its also about the people employed by a farm. They must be paid a certain wage or above, with benefits. If you respect workers rights it's just one more reason to support organic.

By patrick on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 02:50 pm:

the recently changed the definition of the Organic label at the FDA to more stringent guidelines.

"Organic is more than just letting nature do its thing, its also about the people employed by a farm. They must be paid a certain wage or above, with benefits."

Im not sure the FDA says anything about this in its determination of who can use the "Organic" label and who can't.

By patrick on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 02:55 pm:

actually its the Dept. of Agriculture.

By wisper on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 05:33 pm:

it's not just about not wanting animals to die, it's also about not wanting to eat said dead animals.

By eri on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 05:41 pm:

On that I agree. I gross out most of the time when I am preparing meat for a meal. Half of the time I make Spunky come in and prepare it for me, because I don't want to touch it or anything. He wigs out when I cook a meal for the family and I don't eat any meat, but half of the time I don't want to look at it let alone eat it. If I could see what it once was, I just can't eat it.

By agatha on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:42 pm:

that book was awesome.

i'm going to stay out of this discussion, lest i come off as rabid.

By Lapis on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 06:42 pm:

Even after I became a vegetarian the first time, I would still prepare meat for the rest of my family. Kneading cold ground beef for a loaf, using so much soap to get the fat off my hands.

Meat doesn't gross me out at all. It's blood. If I see blood and it's not mine, I freak. I've almost gone down a couple of times, and it's one reason why I don't want to be a grocery cashier.

I'm pretty sure anyhow, about the workers in relation to Organic. Many smaller places can't officially use Organic because of one reason or another. I need to read about it.

By patrick on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 07:08 pm:

according to the National Organic Program Standards on page 32 you will see the clause "Fair Labor Practices on Organic Farms".

It goes on to say "Many commenters asked the National Organic Program to develop fair labor practice standards as a part of the final rule. We have not adopted these comments. Other statutes cover labor and worker safety standards. The Act does not provide the authority to include them in these regulations. However, these regulations do not prohibit certifying agents from developing a voluntary certification program, seperate from organic certification, that address fair labor and worker safety standards."

As I understand it, each state has "certifying agents" verifying the federal standard. States and subsequently "certifying agents" may have additional qualifications. So its possible Oregon may have some sort of clause about workers' rights, but the national standard does not.

By moonit on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 - 11:12 pm:

I freaked out the other day trying to get a stupid ass chicken out of the bag to put on to roast.

It just looked like a little person shaped bird, and I dunno, my mind went splat and a two second job took me ten minutes. Stupid bird.

I loved that book Aggie-tha. I didn't think I would, but I found all that American meat treatment stuff quite interesting.

By sarah on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 03:13 pm:

i just actually read that article, and it's pretty lame.

first, there is a huge difference between purposefully breeding into existence 6 billion (or, their quote 8+ billion) animals for the express purpose of torturing and killing them and the unintended killing (or as the article said, also the MIGRATION - that's how they got their numbers so high) of field mice for agriculture.

now, i don't want to underestimate the lives of these mice, this guy is making his case based on a predicted number of mice killed if all this land was converted to support a vegan diet. currently, all this land they are talking about is used to support an animal-based diet. it's the cows, etc. who eat most of the corn and soybeans grown in this country. so an animal-based diet is actually killing the 8+ billion meat animals plus a portion of the 1+ billion mice already.

also, their final equations for numbers of animals killed entail a dramatic shift in the way that food animals are raised and does not take into account the current reality of the farm industry - factory farms. and all of this number-crunching is based on a utilitarian calculus that just tries to add up the number of animals that may or may not be killed (based on a shift in meat production, that is unlikely to happen, and on a major shift in agricultural production and practices, that also is unlikely to happen).

and he completely disregards most vegetarian critiques of the meat industry itself. many vegetarians do not use (that interpretation of) utilitarianism when making their claims - i mean, i'm not a vegetarian, but as far as i can see, political or moral vegetarianism isn't about moral equivalents of animal life. and my guess is that most vegetarians do not believe that the entire US should shift to a vegetarian diet tomorrow in favor of huge agriculture.

so, that's what i have to say about that!

now, pass the A1.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 07:23 pm:

fuckin a.

i'm going to houston's and i'm going to get me some chilaen sea bass before them motherfuckers go 'stinct

By Platypus on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 07:51 pm:

Hey, vegan in the house:

There really isn't any problem with eating animals. They're tasty, high in protein, and all that fun stuff. However, there is a problem with the American meat and dairy industry. No animal should live a life of abuse and fear to satisfy my carnal needs.

If I had enough land, I would totally be raising/slaughtering my own animals, which is the ideal way to go. However, that's not an option for everyone. It would be nice to see a reform in the meat/dairy industry so that the stuff you get all packaged in the supermarket lived a happier, fuller life, and was slaughtered humanely. There was a really interesting article in the New York Times Magazine a few months back talking about sustainable meat/vegetable farms and how they can, and do, work on a large scale. If I can find it, I'll link to the goodness.

Now that the food pyramid has been turned all upside down and stuff, I'm not sure what the "right" thing to eat anymore is. All I know is that I like pasta. And I do wish people would eat a little less meat, but hey, I'm not anybody's mother.

By sarah on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 09:54 am:

By Platypus on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 11:59 am:

Yeah, that article. I liked it, a lot. I also enjoyed The Botany of Desire. Now I'm going around spouting off about potatoes.

I liked the organic industrial complex article, as well. He hit the nail on the head with the whole organic labeling thing--that we make up most of the label to suit our desires. Buying from local farms is probably the best option. But not, as we know, an option for everyone...

By sarah on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 10:02 am:

btw, i heard houston's has like the best prime rib ever.

By Nate on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 10:12 am:

i tried it the other night. it was very good, but not the best ever.

on the bone! always a plus.

my favorite around here is still fogo de chao.

By dave. on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 10:30 am:

i found a place with a lo-carb menu last night. they had the lo-carb bread. i couldn't get a carb count out of 'em but i ate it anyway, all soaked with buttah. it wasn't total ass. the nysteak was ok. for 4 bucks more, i shoulda got the prime rib.

By patrick on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 11:29 am:

how many times a day are you kids on the crapper? 3? 5?

By Nate on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 12:06 pm:

3 to 5 times a week, more like.

the opposite of what you're thinking.

By sarah on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 01:34 pm:

he's right, you know.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact