I almost cried....

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: I almost cried....
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 07:39 pm:

upon reading this.

whats even more sad, the Senate floor was nearly empty when he read this.

My god, what a waste. What a waste what a waste what a waste.

March 19, 2003

"The Arrogance of Power"

Senator Robert Byrd.

I believe in this beautiful country. I have studied its roots and gloried in the wisdom of its magnificent Constitution. I have marveled at the wisdom of its founders and framers. Generation after generation of Americans has understood the lofty ideals that underlie our great Republic. I have been inspired by the story of their sacrifice and their strength.

But, today I weep for my country. I have watched the events of recent months with a heavy, heavy heart. No more is the image of America one of strong, yet benevolent peacekeeper. The image of America has changed. Around the globe, our friends mistrust us, our word is disputed, our intentions are questioned.

Instead of reasoning with those with whom we disagree, we demand obedience or threaten recrimination. Instead of isolating Saddam Hussein, we seem to have isolated ourselves. We proclaim a new doctrine of preemption which is understood by few and feared by many. We say that the United States has the right to turn its firepower on any corner of the globe which might be suspect in the war on terrorism. We assert that right without the sanction of any international body. As a result, the world has become a much more dangerous place.

We flaunt our superpower status with arrogance. We treat UN Security Council members like ingrates who offend our princely dignity by lifting their heads from the carpet. Valuable alliances are split. After war has ended, the United States will have to rebuild much more than the country of Iraq. We will have to rebuild America's image around the globe.

The case this Administration tries to make to justify its fixation with war is tainted by charges of falsified documents and circumstantial evidence. We cannot convince the world of the necessity of this war for one simple reason. This is a war of choice.

There is no credible information to connect Saddam Hussein to 9/11. The twin towers fell because a world-wide terrorist group, Al Qaeda, with cells in over 60 nations, struck at our wealth and our influence by turning our own planes into missiles, one of which would likely have slammed into the dome of this beautiful Capitol except for the brave sacrifice of the passengers on board.

The brutality seen on September 11th and in other terrorist attacks we have witnessed around the globe are the violent and desperate efforts by extremists to stop the daily encroachment of western values upon their cultures. That is what we fight. It is a force not confined to borders. It is a shadowy entity with many faces, many names, and many addresses.

But, this Administration has directed all of the anger, fear, and grief which emerged from the ashes of the twin towers and the twisted metal of the Pentagon towards a tangible villain, one we can see and hate and attack. And villain he is. But, he is the wrong villain. And this is the wrong war. If we attack Saddam Hussein, we will probably drive him from power. But, the zeal of our friends to assist our global war on terrorism may have already taken flight.

The general unease surrounding this war is not just due to "orange alert." There is a pervasive sense of rush and risk and too many questions unanswered. How long will we be in Iraq? What will be the cost? What is the ultimate mission? How great is the danger at home? A pall has fallen over the Senate Chamber. We avoid our solemn duty to debate the one topic on the minds of all Americans, even while scores of thousands of our sons and daughters faithfully do their duty in Iraq.

What is happening to this country? When did we become a nation which ignores and berates our friends? When did we decide to risk undermining international order by adopting a radical and doctrinaire approach to using our awesome military might? How can we abandon diplomatic efforts when the turmoil in the world cries out for diplomacy?

Why can this President not seem to see that America's true power lies not in its will to intimidate, but in its ability to inspire?

War appears inevitable. But, I continue to hope that the cloud will lift. Perhaps Saddam will yet turn tail and run. Perhaps reason will somehow still prevail. I along with millions of Americans will pray for the safety of our troops, for the innocent civilians in Iraq, and for the security of our homeland. May God continue to bless the United States of America in the troubled days ahead, and may we somehow recapture the vision which for the present eludes us.

By eri on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 09:27 pm:

Did you see the chicken dance he did with his arms and hands and his head making a pecking action while he was giving this speech? It took the focus off of what he was saying because his actions were so over the top. You couldn't follow his words because of his flamboyant actions. It was so sad.

By dave. on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 09:55 pm:

chicken dance?

yeesh.

By eri on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 10:10 pm:

I saw it on the news and really felt sorry for the guy. It was right after I saw Patrick's post and I really wanted to get into his speech, but try as I might I couldn't and I just felt sorry for him. If he would have toned down the physical movements and not done the "chicken dance" then he would have gotten through a bit better and he would have been easier to follow, but his physical actions interrupted his speech patterns and you couldn't follow what he was trying to get across.

By Nate on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 10:19 pm:

you sound like a ignint hick.

By kazoo on Wednesday, March 19, 2003 - 10:32 pm:

I should have gone to bed an hour ago. Now I am watching the news. I wonder if I will ever get any sleep.

Looking at the pictures taken when it was dark, seems like we're boming the Emerald City.

damn.

By Devotchka on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 01:38 am:

I cried when I found out about the leaflets being dropped on Iraq. Why would my country do such a thing? I don't know why this one little thing hit me the most, but I sobbed. Still it's not like it's the worst thing we've done so far.

By Me on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 08:20 am:

the leaflets were telling the Iraqi army that our fight was not against them. It gave them instructions on what to do so we could leave them alone. that is not a typical action a military force would take.

By Spider on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 09:34 am:

"What is happening to this country? When did we become a nation which ignores and berates our friends?"

OK, this made me choke up.

I watched a clip of Sntr. Byrd's speech on the news last night -- he's in his 80s and was obviously very passionate about what he was saying, so I think he can be forgiven for not being the most graceful of speakers. I also thought he communicated his message very well.

It was hard for me to turn off the TV and go to bed last night, too, Kazoo. I was afraid I would miss something important.

By Nate on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 09:35 am:

we must be good people. perhaps feeling a little guilty for not going into baghdad in '91.

By J on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 10:08 am:

Senator Robert Byrd has done wonders for the state of West Virginia and at his age he still has his wits about him,sometimes old people are shakey and he's right about seeing no evidence that ties Saddam to 9/11.

By patrick on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 11:20 am:

i have no idea of this chicken dance eri. it sounds so far fetched. the story in the paper mentioned nothing. he's old. are you sure it just wasnt fraility.

not that matters, he's one of most brilliant, true-to-form senators ive ever known of. he's a scholar of Greek and Athenian Democracy and Roman history as well.

He's the only hero I can find in our federal government.

By spunky on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 11:47 am:

he was a recuiter for the KKK

By patrick on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:04 pm:

source?

otherwise id say your full of shit

By kazoo on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:13 pm:

It's true.

I think he cut ties in 1943.

Let me see if I can find an article.

By Nate on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:14 pm:

no, he's not. everyone knows byrd was up with the klan. tits out white christian bitches!

By patrick on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:16 pm:

yeah i see it for myself.

doesnt change my opinion of his words today.

By kazoo on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:17 pm:

The Nation; Southern Liberals Had Lott Moments, Too $2.95 (The New York Times Archive)
    ...Compare him with Senator Robert C. Byrd, the West Virginia Democrat who was once a member of the Ku Klux Klan.......

if you want to buy the article

By Spider on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:21 pm:

Right, there is nothing shameful about a man who saw the error of his ways and repented. Byrd's past (DEEP past) does not discredit yesterday's speech.

Bush was a drunk. So? That doesn't have any bearing on what informs my current opinion of him.

By kazoo on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:24 pm:

I thought it was a terrific speech.

Sometimes people change, but more importantly, his speech was more than just liberal peace drivel, maybe he isn't the best "symbol" of our country's leadership history. It's about our country's integrity, mot just his image...and if he's insincere and it is an image thing...that sucks, but that's politics. I felt it was something that needed to be said.

By Nate on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:36 pm:

well, it looks like we nailed saddam and at least two-thirds of the iraqi army is ready to surrender.

just goes to show the ignorance of the peace movement.

By Nate on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:37 pm:

tits out iraqi hos!

By Antigone on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:45 pm:

Spunky, why are you posting? Weren't you going to go do your job?

By Antigone on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:48 pm:

By Antigone on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:51 pm:

If the Salon link is for subscribers only, here's CBS News

By eri on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 12:55 pm:

I didn't think that the guy up there was Saddam at all. First thought was that he was an imposter, but Saddam is known for having impostors go out and pretend to be him while he hides, so I don't think it is because he is dead, but rather because he is in hiding from the media.

By s on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 01:09 pm:

By sarah on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 01:16 pm:

By spunky on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 01:49 pm:

i am working, tiggy. I just check on you all's insanity every now and again. I need the comic releif

By Antigone on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 02:18 pm:

While your insanity checks on us from the oval office, only we don't find it quite so comical.

By Antigone on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 02:19 pm:

It makes me feel so much better that you can be amused while a war is starting, trace.

By Nate on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 08:24 pm:

i'm with you tiggles.

fucking scary the joy people are taking in this thing. justified or not.

makes a man want to drink a jug of wine.

By semillama on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 10:35 pm:

I can't go near a Marine base without a fucking war starting.

By semillama on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 11:04 pm:

Are you guys checking out this CNN live coverage?

Ok, war sucks and everything, but this is pretty cool.
    They are showing a bedouin camp. They are stopped and there are Kiowa choppers flying around.

This is the most amazing coverage. Media junkies must be geeking out everywhere.

Christ, Can you imagine being in Iraq and seing this on the TV, the fucking 7th cavalry bearing down on you?

By sarah on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 10:07 am:

"You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the US of arrogance and Germany doesn't want to go to war."

By Antigone on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 10:51 am:

Ragnarok

By Nate on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 10:55 am:

excellent.

By patrick on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 11:26 am:

i saw some of that sem.

unfucking believeable.

i thought bedouins were a people out of star wars.

seriously, i was expecting to see some of these people and some of these guys walk by the camera.

of course, who knows what we are really seeing, but you know...anything that looks likle a fucking play station game is amusing for a moment.

By kazoo on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 11:41 am:

"i thought bedouins were a people out of star wars"

yeah, like the fucking "sand people"

bedouins are Arabic-speaking desert nomads of the Middle East.

A friend of mine who posted here like, twice, had a girlfriend who was bedouin. her family was from egypt.

By patrick on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 12:03 pm:

"bedouins are Arabic-speaking desert nomads of the Middle East."

well duh.

don't go gettin uppity with me.

By kazoo on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 12:06 pm:

Sorry, I wasn't getting uppity. I thought it was funny.

Nigel told mw that when he first met Lila, he asked her if she had any relatives on Tatooine.

By patrick on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 12:09 pm:

oh ok, i thought you were gettin on me for being culturally insensitive or some shit...

By kazoo on Friday, March 21, 2003 - 12:18 pm:

nope, the first comment was to you, the rest was just a general FYI and personal anecdote

By The Watcher on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 12:16 pm:

Senator Robert is the biggest hog at the trough.

He's even managed to get millions of our tax dollars spent creating a replica of his office in the capital so tourists can see how important he is.

No wonder he was strutting like a chicken.

I still think it's funny how Trent Lott got in all that trouble for saying Strom Thourman would have made a good president when the Democrats still have the likes of Byrd.

By patrick on Tuesday, March 25, 2003 - 12:38 pm:

because Trent Lott said something TODAY. As in the last YEAR!!! HELLO!!!! What Byrd did was decades ago.

despite his penchant for porking, the man makes sense.

By The Watcher on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 11:46 am:

And what Thurmond did and said was also years ago.

Just about the same time good old Senator Byrd was donning is sheets.

Same thing.

By patrick on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 01:14 pm:

the matter of Trent Lott was NOT about what Thurmond said, it was about what Lott said ABOUT Thurmond.

wake up.

By semillama on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 01:44 pm:

Plus Thurmond never repudiated what he did and stood for. Byrd repented. It's not the same thing.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, March 26, 2003 - 05:27 pm:

Trent Lott is the one who was a former cheerleader correct? I find that very funny.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact