uhhh Democracy?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: uhhh Democracy?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 06:54 pm:

Is this the democracy Bush has been talking about?

Im so very confused.

By spunky on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 07:58 pm:

I saw that before....
    I agree with you on this one.

By eri on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 08:25 pm:

That playground they are walking in looks almost exactly like the one right out here behind my apartment. How do we know those pics were taken in Baghdad?

By patrick on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 08:37 pm:

well...

they could be doctored but considering the article cites several sources, including an Amnesty International press release the story probably has merit.

By eri on Tuesday, April 29, 2003 - 10:56 pm:

I was just being a smart ass Patrick. I don't know, though. I don't want to trust that to be the truth, cuz it's pretty damned fucked up. To say the least.

By semillama on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 10:08 am:

Well, they shouldn't have done it. Troop conduct in the 21st century is going to be heavily scrutinized, and if you portray yourself as the liberating force of all that is good, you've set a high standard to live up to.

That being said, I'm sure that walking naked through a playground is small potatoes compared to what would have happened to these guys if they had been in Saudi Arabia.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 12:41 pm:

dude, we sent a bunch of 20 year olds who think this is a fucking video game, armed to the teeth with all kinds of high-powered cool rockedts and night vision into a land to take it over.

of course this kind of shit will happen.

Its irrelavent what would have happened they been in Saudi Arabia. if thay had been on the moon they would have gotten moon dust up their ass. So what.

just like we tortured, scorched, maimed, raped and pilaged the Vietnamese civilian populus, we're sure to give it to the Iraqi's as well.

Each protestor shot or a family member of each protestor shot is a budding terrorist willing to strap on some TNT and take on an American target.

Quoting a wounded Iraqi teen who was shot by US troops in a protest the other day vowed revenge "this blood spilled will not be in vain."

This is fun stuff people. Liberation. Where are the imbeds now? Where are the cameras now?

Angry.

Angry. Angry. Angry.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 12:49 pm:

you want me to quote an american teen and pretend like it has any bearing on anything?

why are you suggesting that the iraqi people are some sort of brown animals who will respond with terrorism against civilians at the drop of a hat?

just like we turned japan and germany in to prosperous free democracies. see? i can give you bullshit hyperbole too.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 01:02 pm:

just as you cite japan and germany as successful models, there are just as many failures.

the situations are apples and oranges and you know that. for one, japans leaders actually signed a surrender. we didnt invade japan. they attacked. there's a different civilian frame of mind at play. the iraqi civilian does not feel like the japanese civilian...or german.

being mowed down by american soldiers at a protest is "drop of a hat?"

By Nate on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 01:45 pm:

if there are just as many failures, name one.

that the iraqi leadership failed to sign a surrender (they were given plenty of opportunity) means nothing.

we did invade japan.

iraqi arguably attacked us.

different civilian frame of mind, sure. we killed about 300,000 more nipponese civilians. you betcha a different frame of mind.

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 01:59 pm:

"iraqi arguably attacked us."

Try arguing that one, Nate. Give it your best shot.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 02:04 pm:

Korea. Vietnam. Wow. We did wonders to those regimes didnt we?

There's no way in hell i would ever agree that Iraq "arguably attacked us". Thats just hogwash.

Though neither of us have experienced WW2 Japan, Germany or contemporary Iraq...Id have to give great consideration that the Iraqi civilian bears more resentment towards the US for an unprovoked war that didnt have to happen, for the chaos and greater instability we've have since brought to their country. I would have to give strong consideration that the mentality of the Japanese citizen at the time of surrender was not just anger, but weariness and resentment that their dictator brought them into a war they didnt and arguably couldnt win. The sense of defeat was much more pronounced in Germans and the Japanese than the Iraqis...or so Id have to speculate.

I don't think the Iraqis feel defeat as much as they do resentment and maybe thats the crux of my position.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 02:06 pm:

i can't, tiggy. if the al queda links to saddam are there, iraqi attacked us. there is evidence for this, recovered from the ministry of information or something in baghdad. it is of questionable credibility, but it doesn't make it necessarily false.

you can't discount the possibility.

By patrick on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 02:07 pm:

The Germans and Japanese were perhaps much more primed for the introduction of democracies than Iraq after 4+ years of severe war and sacrifice. Air raids, hundreds of thousands dead. Beaten into submission by the forces of such a war.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 02:13 pm:

"Korea. Vietnam. Wow. We did wonders to those regimes didnt we?"

those are your examples? south korea is poised to be the financial capital of asia. we never made it into north korea, and look at their economy. we lost viet nam. talk about apples and oranges, man. try again!

the state of the iraqi people today is meaningless. their government isn't even in place yet. see where they are in five years.

besides, where are you getting this idea that the iraqi people aren't happy that saddam is gone? because they are protesting us now, but they never protested saddam?

you really think iraqi's resent us taking saddam away from them?

By patrick on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 02:24 pm:

The fact that N.Korea exists is a sign of failure in that conflict.

n.korea's existance nullifies any limited success in S.Korea. the problem is still there and more of a menace than ever.

im fairly confident that Iraqi's don't want a christian occupying force in their country, no.

As the protests grow each week, as we continue to kill civilians...yes...im grow more and more confident that Iraqi resentment also grows.

Removing Saddam? Sure. We could have done that without actually occupying the land...but ah no.....the oil MAN, the OIL!

Your right though. it is early. Lets see where we are at in 6 months. One or both of us could be quite surprised.

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 02:30 pm:

"you can't discount the possibility."

You can if it's used as a reason to go to war.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 02:31 pm:

north korea's existance argues my point.

the media will report heavily on the downside of our occupation as we run towards the presidential election.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 02:33 pm:

that doesn't make sense to me, tiggy. could you break your logic down?

By Spider on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 02:54 pm:

By patrick on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 03:01 pm:

i learned lastnight that Golf is actually an acronym for bitchesbegone

Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden or some shit like that.

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 03:10 pm:

The bar should be a bit higher than the mere "possibility" of a connection to terrorism if you want to use that connection as a reason to go to war, as we just did.

If someone said you were a possible terrorist and used that as a reason to put a gun to your head, would you agree with them?

I can't believe that you don't get this point, Nate. Stop playing dumb.

By Nate on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 03:36 pm:

no, i agree, tiggy. it is a possibility from our point of view. our government claims to have a convincing degree of proof. we're not privy to it, and we may not trust our government, so for us it remains a possibility.

that's all i'm saying.

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 03:42 pm:

Isn't our government accountable to us? If there is proof, shouldn't we know about it? If not, why not?

By Nate on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 04:06 pm:

you honestly believe it is in the best interest of the security of the united states to have all information the government is aware of fully public knowledge?

By semillama on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 04:19 pm:

That's case-dependent. If the action is to go to war and kill abunch of people, well, then the government should have shown the smoking gun. Powell did his best with what he had, but it wasn't enough.

Has anyone seen how some of the dems are trying to jump on Howard Dean for saying we should be prepared for the time when the US does not have the dominant military force on the planet? Actually, i think it's some of the dems' media flacks, like Kerry's guy. pfeh.

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 04:27 pm:

"you honestly believe it is in the best interest of the security of the united states to have all information the government is aware of fully public knowledge?"

No, and I didn't say that. Do you want to discuss issues or use bullshit rhetorical tactics?

By Nate on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 04:31 pm:

I thought Powell showed sufficient evidence, but the issue wasn't the evidence he showed but that people didn't believe that the evidence was real?

When you have people as polarized as they are (as the people on these boards are) you'll never have sufficient evidence to sway the other side. The other side will always disbelieve the damning evidence so as to make their own stance credible.

so where are we? we have a government of elected representatives who need to take all the evidence they have and make the best judgements they can for the safety of the american people. these elected representatives realize that the american people don't have the whole story, and even if they did have the whole story do not have the educational or intellectual background to make informed descisions.

do i sound ignorant when i say i feel that bush has the country's best interest at heart? when you realize that his paradigm is the conservative agenda, has he given any evidence of not persuing what he feels is in the country's best interest?

By Nate on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 04:34 pm:

"No, and I didn't say that. Do you want to discuss issues or use bullshit rhetorical tactics?"

no, tiggles, you asked me to provide examples of why the government should keep proof from us. i asked you if you honestly couldn't think of a reason why they should. do you want to discuss issues or use bullshit rhetorical tactics?

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 04:54 pm:

There's no point debating if you play games, Nate.

Asking me if I "honestly believe" some obtuse viewpoint is a rhetorical tactic.

"The other side will always disbelieve the damning evidence so as to make their own stance credible."

All the more reason why the evidence should not be open to interpretation or susceptible to belief. That's why we have international agreements and verification regimes. That's why we shouldn't act unilaterally. Acting in the way the US has only makes that situation WORSE, not BETTER. Acting unilaterally and not being open is polarizing the world and creating/exascerbating the very situation you described. Do you agree with that?

"do i sound ignorant when i say i feel that bush has the country's best interest at heart?"

No. Naive, maybe. But I've never known you to be naive. It's moot, though. Bush's intensions have no impact on the debate. His actions do.

By Rowlf on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 06:39 pm:

"I thought Powell showed sufficient evidence, but the issue wasn't the evidence he showed but that people didn't believe that the evidence was real?"

To me, it was clearly proven fake. If he had real evidence, he wouldnt have used a 28 year old grad's thesis...

to quote the UN inspectors who went to the alleged sites, the information was "Garbage garbage and more garbage"

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 07:12 pm:

Nate's already convinced that te evidence was perfect. What's to argue?

By semillama on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 07:42 pm:

We could argue about whether Killing Joke's "Democracy" was a better album than "Pandaemonium". Or we could talk about The Damned's "Democracy" is a better song than Killing Joke's "Democracy".

By dave. on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 09:08 pm:

if you're gonna talk killing joke, it's a toss up between the self titled, what's this for?, and maybe revelations. back when they had their own sound. now, they sound like the bands they inspired.

i never could get into the damned. i went in the direction of the fall instead.

By Rowlf on Thursday, May 1, 2003 - 09:14 am:

killing joke... bleh... i hate their 'hits' album and I still only liked around 4 songs..

By semillama on Thursday, May 1, 2003 - 09:52 am:

Misguided fool.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact