Uncle Spunk!!!!!

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Uncle Spunk!!!!!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By eri on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 04:01 pm:

We just got word. Spunky is an uncle again (and I am an aunt again).

Kaiden (no clue on middle name) Hixon! 8 lb. 6 oz.

Welcome Kaiden. Enjoy the high levels of insanity that is otherwise known as our family!

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 04:16 pm:

Alan

By Antigone on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 04:18 pm:

Kaiden?

Is this kid gonna be a samurai?

By Guy on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 04:20 pm:

talking about odd names for children (well, anyone i guess)

My old bosses neighbour named their daughter Waverly.

By spunky on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 04:20 pm:

Sumu

By Spider on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 04:28 pm:

People have always named their kids goofy things. Remember Cotton Mather? States Rights Gist?

By eri on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 04:50 pm:

I have a cousin named Kingsley. One of the wildest worst behaved children I have met, but he is nice, just needs some work.

I used to work with a girl her first name was Treasure and her last name was Mountain. Poor kid.

Kaiden isn't the worst I have heard or seen. There has been worse.

By semillama on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 06:05 pm:

IRON KAIDEN!!!!!

By kazoo on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 06:08 pm:

I saw that one coming.

By kazoo on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 08:14 pm:

My cousin named her baby Hunter, which isn't unusual, but it has an annoying L.L. Bean sound to it that is irritating. She named her second baby Hannah, which I like. My daughter's name is going to be Claire after my aunt because I promised her a namesake. I'm not going with her middle name though, Frances. Claire Frances. No.

By BIGkev on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 08:25 pm:

Frances is that pronounced Fran-cis, or France-es?
    I have a friend that swears theres a difference, and demands you call him buy the first one.

By patrick on Friday, May 2, 2003 - 08:44 pm:

though the variation is slight it can be either way.

i think i've known a woman named francEs as in bESt.

perhaps the masculine form would more if the IS pronounciation.

france is

aww hell, its a gay ass name either way you say it

By spunky on Saturday, May 3, 2003 - 01:57 am:

I have heard of kingsley before.
    I have a cousin (male) named Cheyenne
    and a cousin (female) named Dakota.

I always thought they were backwards

By wisper on Saturday, May 3, 2003 - 09:01 pm:

Kaiden

is that kay-den or key-den?

By eri on Saturday, May 3, 2003 - 10:08 pm:

Kay-den

The middle name (Alan) is Spunky's. It's a family name that is supposed to go from the first son to the first son. Since Spunky can't have a son of his own blood (well, he could but not with me) they decided to let his brother give that name to his second son, since Kaiden is the second son of the second son.

By patrick on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 01:58 pm:

isnt that a name of one of the characters on Mortal Kombat?

By spunky on Sunday, May 4, 2003 - 03:35 pm:

That's Lord Rayden

By semillama on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 11:23 am:

Your cousins are named after indian tribes. Keep up the tradition, name the next one Blackfeet!
    Or Winnebago (Ho-Chunk if you want to be accurate).

Then there is always Kickapoo.

By dave. on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 11:27 am:

why not humptulips or skookumchuck?

By spunky on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 11:35 am:

I like shitzherbritches

By BIGKev on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 11:46 am:

anyone ever hear of the southern (alabama i think) sherrif that named his daughters Ima and Youra? I heard this from my father, not alway the most accurate source..

the last name was (supposedly) Hogg...

hehehe, how cruel

By spunky on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 11:48 am:

PS, eri came up with shitzherbritches. I cannot take credit for it.

By Spider on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 12:06 pm:

Anasazi -- now that's a cool name.

Sem, do you know anything about the Seneca, regarding how they came to be called that? Is that a word in their own language?

By spunky on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 12:10 pm:

I have cherokee in my blood

By Spider on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 12:34 pm:

O-non-dowa-gah, that's what the Seneca called themselves.

So how did they get to be known as the Seneca?

I found this bit of wisdom in my search: "Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power. The sun also shines on the wicked."

By patrick on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 01:01 pm:

"I have cherokee in my blood"

shaddyup. you're ass is as white as they come man.

By eri on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 01:35 pm:

My ass is as white as they come, but I have blackfoot in my blood. I am also a big chunk Italian, but you don't see it underneath the scottish and german and irish. That doesn't mean it isn't there, though.

By BIGKev on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 01:45 pm:

im Irish/German... so as you can guess im humble, sober, and not at all stubborn...

Im related to the Wright Bros. (by great cousins marrige to Bros. cousin, or nefew or something..)

Whats your relation to Fame?

By Spider on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 01:47 pm:

A cousin of mine, who's adopted, is part Cherokee and is blue-eyed and blonde.

By patrick on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 01:58 pm:

you silly people are missing my point.

today.

i am irritated with anyone who claims native american "in their blood". not only does it just sound silly....everyone knows we killed them all off sometime ago.

youre middle american-honky-vanilla ice cream. plain jane man.

horscopes seem more relative than where our great great grandpappy came from.

i remember sometime ago cyst expressing her annoyance with this type of talk and i share it.

By spunky on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 02:07 pm:

if you are born in America, does that not mean you are native?
    Would it not follow then that you are Native American?

John Wilkes Booth is lurking around somewhere on my mother's side of the family tree

By Spider on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 02:13 pm:

"everyone knows we killed them all off sometime ago."

What the fuck? There are thousands of Native Americans living all over the country. They reproduce. They sometimes reproduce with people who are not Native American, thereby having children that are of mixed ethnicity.

Who the hell are you to tell Trace he's lying about his ancestry? Do you know him? Do you know his grandparents?

By patrick on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 02:16 pm:

spider.

remember that conversation about being uptight?

why are you taking me so seriously?

By Spider on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 02:25 pm:

This isn't about me. You are an arrogant jackass when you deal with Trace. Knock it off.

By patrick on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 02:29 pm:

spider.

stick.

ass.

remove.

By patrick on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 02:35 pm:

why you werent able to detect the usual level of cynicism in my comments to him today is beyond me.

i'll repeat.

stick.

ass.

remove.

and if it makes you feel better i'll apply my cynicism to anyone who makes the

"i have apache in my blood" type of statements. its not about whether or not his great great great grandfather was an apache. thats not my point.

its not my fault trace is repeatedly silly.

i think its amusing as a people we find it a unique badge of neatness to claim heritage to cultures we stopped short of wiping off the map.

it seems a uniquely american activity to cite other cultures as relative to who we are.

By Nate on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 02:44 pm:

it is your fault that you are no less silly.

i have goth in my blood. it rages in me when i am sleeping.

if you claim goth and you are actually some pasty white anglo fool, you will find yourself trying to keep your bowels in your belly with your quivering little hands.

By Spider on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 02:49 pm:

Listen. This is not about me. This is about the fact that you constantly pick on Trace, insulting his intelligence, calling him a moron and retarded, telling him he can't read, making fun of the way he writes and spells, etc. etc. etc. Can he say anything without you jumping on him?

Why should you give a shit what he claims about his heritage? What's it to you? Oh, right, it's yet another thing about him that makes you feel superior. Because, of course, you would never be that silly. Unthinkable.

By patrick on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 03:01 pm:

spider...whether you believe it or not.....if anyone else had said what trace said i would have said the same thing.

its not a matter of feeling superior. i dont feel superior to anyone.

its not a matter of thinking im better, ive never thought im better than anyone.

i dont say what i say to anyone thinking my backend isnt just as wide open for a kicking. i can usually take a ribbing, somedays better than others. so yes nate...i know im perfectly silly too.

spider i know im silly because ive cited my lebanese and scotch-irish ancestory as some sort of relation to who i am before.

and spider, while i think its a matter of you having a stick in your ass....its also a matter of having a stressful weekend, my wife taking her frustrations with my mom out on me, me being constantly caught in the middle and me having little to no patience for what i deem silly and stupid and annoying.

on another bbs i lashed out this morning at a woman who was willing to spend upwards of 3 grand for a prefab treehouse for her son rather than have spend $50 at home depot and actually put stock in the value of spending time building the tree house with his parents instead of watching some yokle build it.

so get off your high horse. i dont make statements without expecting them to come back at me in some shape or form despite what you think.

By Nate on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 03:13 pm:

what? what other bbs? you have another bbs? you're cheating on us?

By spunky on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 03:15 pm:

Stop being so damn nasty to spider

By patrick on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 03:20 pm:

i dont view it as cheating nate us much as i feel im supplementing.

you is what you is.

if there were more ass on sorabji id be less inclined to prowl.

and why don'y ou ask spider about her other bbs's. she's been open about her tom catting for sometime

By Spider on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 03:27 pm:

Yeah, you fucks just don't satisfy my needs.

Patrick, I still think you're denying the issue. Just lay off sneering at Trace for a while, okay?

By Antigone on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 04:39 pm:

Why? Trace sneers at everyone else.

By Spider on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 04:54 pm:

No, he doesn't. He may misunderstand things and try to put words in others' mouths and falsely accuse people of hating America, but he doesn't sneer, and he doesn't (as far as I've seen) call people retarded or belittle their intelligence.

By BIGKev on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 05:11 pm:

I have never found.... that criticism is ever inhibited by ignorance.

Harold Macmillan (1894 - 1986)

seems to be a little to much of this around these days.

By J on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 05:12 pm:

That's true Spider,plus it all just l gets soo old and predictable.

By patrick on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 05:20 pm:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

is that all you guys got?

where's the calvry?

if this your sorry excuse for a whipping post...you people have gone soft.

By patrick on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 05:21 pm:

you led the charge then faltered spider.

besides im not sure how admitting my foul mood on top of my own shortcoming would be denial but if you say so.

By wisper on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 07:02 pm:

aaanyway....

"if you are born in America, does that not mean you are native?
    Would it not follow then that you are Native American?"

Not. If you're born in america you can say you're american, or that you're from america, or whatever your family roots are. You could even say you're a native of america, if you move one day. But never just Native or Native American.
    Saying you're Native is reserved for people whose ancestry includes the tribes that lived on this continent before it was settled by Europeans. Those who used to be called 'indians'.
    If you have that, you are full or part Native.

And i'll remind yall again, never ever use the word "eskimo"!

By spunky on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 07:06 pm:

We are so headed right for the land of the thought police.

By Antigone on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 07:38 pm:

And you're leading the way.

By Antigone on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 07:39 pm:

"He may misunderstand things and try to put words in others' mouths and falsely accuse people of hating America, but he doesn't sneer"

Maybe not, but he champions those that do. What's the difference?

By spunky on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 07:40 pm:

i do not.

I am not.

You don't get me.

By Nate on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 07:51 pm:

"Saying you're Native is reserved for people whose ancestry includes the tribes that lived on this continent before it was settled by Europeans."

why? especially when that is contrary to the definition of the word?

is a red indian born in the UK a Native American ?

By eri on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 08:42 pm:

The tribe that is part of my "heritage" so to speak is a "native american" tribe that has always existed in Canada. Confusing?

We are from a blackfoot tribe in Canada, so why is it that we are concidered "native americans" when we were never in "america"?

Should we then be called "native canadians"?

Just a thought

By The Watcher on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 08:42 pm:

wisper, that is the screwiest thing I have ever heard.

Any citizen born in a country is native to that country.

By Nate on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 09:11 pm:

this is 'north america', and collectively everything from alaska to argentina is in 'america'. does that clear things up?

By wisper on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 11:09 pm:

what nate said. in some cases 'america' refers to the whole continent, not just the country.

"Any citizen born in a country is native to that country"

Yes. But distinctions have to be made between people who were simply born there and those whose roots trace back to the original or ancient peoples of the country.

I just meant that the term 'Native American' is most commonly used for people who are related to the aboriginal people of north america. And if spunky really does have it in his blood, he can go ahead and call himself native american.
    Otherwise, you can still call youself a native, but it's usually reversed, like so:
    Billy's parents are German, but he was born in the US. He's a native OF america, or an american native.
    Timmy lives on the reserve land up north. He's a native, or a native american, or First Nations, or Inuit, or Cherokee, or....

You will recall a similar problem that Lisa Simpson had with Apu and Homer in the Proposition 24 episode. Went something like this:

Lisa- "We're all immagrents in this country... except native americans"
    Homer- "Yeah, native americans like me!"
    Lisa- "No, i mean american indians..."
    Apu- "American indians like me!"
    Lisa- "No! I mean...."

"is a red indian born in the UK a Native American ?"
    possibly, it depends what they want to be called i suppose. Perhaps they would just say they were of whatever group their family was, like blackfoot or etc.

By spunky on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 11:34 pm:

Ugh....

Native means being such by birth OR origin...
    That is the definition of native.
    Not color of skin, not roots, but simply where you were born. No further qualifications are necessary.

Personally, I believe it is more respectful to refer to Indians by their tribes.
    Cherokee, Blackfoot, etc.

By dave. on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 01:28 am:

frankly, i think it's about how uptight one is. my name is david. or dave. all the time, at work, people ask me what i prefer. i prefer you not ask me because i'd rather not waste the effort to give an answer. i don't care which name you call me. david is hebrew for beloved. dave isn't much of anything. does that matter? should it? i'm pretty sure my parents didn't give it that much thought so why should i? it all depends on how uptight you feel the need to be.

personally, i think the affiliations do more damage than good. us and them should be based on action and attitude rather than who fucked whom.

By dave. on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 01:33 am:

i'm not sure i used whom correctly there but, dangling as it is like a testicle in running shorts, it's a goofy looking word.

By spunky on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 08:22 am:

it's ok for patrick to not mean what he says, but I have to explain every letter of every word I say, and I am held to the fire for the.

By dave. on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 10:49 am:

you might feel like you have to but you don't really have to do anything. you don't have to be consistent, make sense, have a point, be interesting. you don't have to even type real words.

By TBone on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 11:29 am:

It may be more respectful to refer to specific tribes, but there's not really a good word reserved for all of them. It's not really convenient to list ALL of them in one go when you just mean "Injuns."

"Native American" has been given that designation. If you start haggling over the real definition of the word "Native" you're missing the point. It's been redefined in that context.

But it's just words. Silly, silly words.

I've got alien in my blood.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 11:51 am:

Oh, spunk. We've had a lot of time to "get you." If we don't get you it's your own damn fault. You've had lots of time to express yourself here, so don't play the "poor misunderstood me" game, m'kay? You want us to understand something different about you, get you the way you want to be gotten, then say something different.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 12:43 pm:

i keep sayin you is what you is.....

whether or not your german immigrant rat-faced great granny shagged chief come-a-lot at a prairie mixer is really irrelavent. hence the sillyness.

By Nate on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 01:34 pm:

"possibly, it depends what they want to be called i suppose."

but white people don't have this luxury?

By wisper on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 06:01 pm:

from dicitonary.com :

Usage Note: When used in reference to a member of an indigenous people, the noun native, like its synonym aborigine, can evoke unwelcome stereotypes of primitiveness or cultural backwardness that many people now seek to avoid. As is often the case with words that categorize people, the use of the noun is more problematic than the use of the corresponding adjective. Thus a phrase such as the peoples native to northern Europe or the aboriginal inhabitants of the South Pacific is generally much preferable to the natives of northern Europe or the aborigines of the South Pacific.
    *Despite its potentially negative connotations, native is enjoying increasing popularity in ethnonyms such as native Australian and Alaska Native, perhaps due to the wide acceptance of Native American as a term of ethnic pride and respect. These compounds have the further benefit of being equally acceptable when used alone as nouns (a native Australian) or in an adjectival construction (a member of a native Australian people). Of terms formed on this model, those referring to peoples indigenous to the United States generally capitalize native, as in Alaska Native (or the less common Native Alaskan) and Native Hawaiian, while others usually style it lowercase.

Also, what TBone said about redefined words. Simply- you can go ahead and call yourself a native american, just don't question it if you confuse a lot of people.

------

"but I have to explain every letter of every word I say, and I am held to the fire "

but spunky, in this case you asked a question, which some of us are trying to answer.

"By spunky on Monday, May 5, 2003 - 02:07 pm:
    if you are born in America, does that not mean you are native?
    Would it not follow then that you are Native American? "

I wouldn't have said anything if you didn't ask, i'm not usually in to debating. I'm just trying to answer your perfectly valid question about language. It's not a fight.

By Rowlf on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 06:45 pm:

Considering everything Native Americans have lost, I dont see why anyone is fighting abouting giving up the term "native".

Its annoying in the same way it annoys me when little girls think Avril Lavigne is punk.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 07:06 pm:

Nate and spunk are denying one part of white people's heritage:

We've killed or enslaved every native society we could.

This is part of white people's heritage.

If you want to see some of our heritage, you should see all of it.

But, ya'll seem awfully skilled at ignoring what you don't want to hear.

You are weak.

By Nate on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 07:28 pm:

how are we denying this, again?

you juicing again, tiggles?

By Rowlf on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 07:34 pm:

in that case I promote Native History month.

people dont want to deal with white guilt, I say TOUGH SHIT. Here we get taught all about what Canadians did to Japanese immigrants and refugees during WWII. Its a shameful time for the country, but its necessary to know all about it.

It was genocide everyone, never forget it. The same people who refuse to ackowledge that part of American history are some of the same ones mad German banks and companies that dont want to give reperations to Jews who had stuff stolen from them or were forced to work as slaves.

They shake their fist at other nations' refusal to deal with their own shameful history, yet they look past their own guilty history.

Let them have the term. Its the least you can do.

By spunky on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 07:38 pm:

Rowlf, you have gone overboard.
    I never denied slavery or "white men" killing the tribal indians.

By Rowlf on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 07:50 pm:

I said "people" - it was a rant to noone specific... what tiggy said just made it pop into my head and I wrote it down, it isnt a response to anything or anyone (that includes you)... random thought

I can see how that might not be very clear. oh well.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 08:02 pm:

You want a white history month?

Why don't we have a "Kill a Nigger Month"?

By spunky on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 08:10 pm:

well who else on this thread would you be talking to? my wife? nate?

By eri on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 08:22 pm:

Why do you have to have "kill a nigger month" if you want a white history month? Seriously? I mean, I know what white people did in the past and I have strongly disagreed with it and don't participate in those kinds of things, and not just to african americans, or native americans, but all that I have heard of including japanese americans during WWII and other asian races assumed to be japanese americans and put into the camps as well.

I have no thoughts of being better than any other race or superior to them in any way.

I don't see anyone acknowledging the horrible living conditions that immigrants had to live under in the north during the times of slavery in the south. White people hurting white people from a different country and killing them with the conditions they were forced to live under.

See, Rowlf, I want to learn all of it, and not just the happy shit, cuz there isn't much happy shit.

By Antigone on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 08:41 pm:

"Why do you have to have 'kill a nigger month' if you want a white history month? Seriously?"

Because it's a part of white heritage. Seriously.

By Nate on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 09:21 pm:

racist bitches. you make me sad.

"I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

-MLK

By spunky on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 10:13 pm:

HAHAHAHAHA I have won!

I knew it!

By Nate on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 10:17 pm:

what did you win, spunky?

By spunky on Tuesday, May 6, 2003 - 10:57 pm:

A bet with myself that anyone who mentions the words white, pride, and heritage in the same sentence would be called a racist, bigot, and be reminded of slavery and the american-indian war.
    I got a bonus, KKK was thrown into the mix as well.

And some people call me brainwashed.

By wisper on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 12:24 am:

actually, the word 'pride' only appears twice on this thread, one in your above post, and once in my paste from dictionary.com.
    'heritage' was said first by patrick, and then in your above post.
    'white' appears about 18 times, in various contexts.
    These words never occur together.

(don't you just love Ctrl F ?! It's so useful!)

By Rowlf on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 09:24 am:

"well who else on this thread would you be talking to? my wife? nate?"

noone. Or perhaps it was to someone who fits my description who lurks but does not post. I know it actually normally does trace, but this board doesnt always revolve around you. IF it was to you I'd tell you, because I think history has proven I'm perfectly comfortable taking aim at something you said.

"See, Rowlf, I want to learn all of it, and not just the happy shit, cuz there isn't much happy shit"

I'm fine with that.

By semillama on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 10:23 am:

here's the problem: there is an unfortunate confusion in this country between race and ethnicity. There is also not a wide recognition that African-Americans are an ethnic group, native to the United States. By that, I mean that African-Americans are distinct culturally from other ethnic groups in this country, regardless of skin color. It would seem then, if African-Americans are an ethnic group, aren't then European-Americans? That's where it's tricky. I think that up until recently, the answer was more no than yes. Until recently, a lot of European-Americans identified themselves as belonging to a European ethnic group. Look at how many people claim pride in their Irish background.

Now, there is nothing wrong with that. It's relatively easy to point at a cultural signifier and say "That's Italian, I'm part Italian, it's part of my heritage." It's also easy to point to something and say "That's African-American, I'm African-American, it's part of my heritage."
    Where you run into trouble is when you lump all these different European groups together and say "That's White, I'm White, it's my heritage."

Do you see where I am going with this?

"White Heritage" is by and large "American Heritage". How do you separate out the "White" heritage from the overall "American" Heritage?

I think that basically what I am saying is that when a Latino- or African-American says they are proud of their heritage, they are proud of what their ethnicity has done as a group. The same thing goes for Irish-Americans, Italian-Americans, Russo-Americans, etc, etc. Now, we are still a very young nation and I think in the future, European-Americans may very well be a distinct ethnic group. Maybe not. I think it would be said if so, because that would probably mean that there wouldn't be Irish-Americans, Finnish-AMericans, Norwegian-Americans and so forth, and that would be a loss.

But when you separate it into races, that's where you are in trouble.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 10:25 am:

You nailed it, Sem.

By spunky on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 10:49 am:

yes he did.

By semillama on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 12:22 pm:

Whoo-hoo! My anthropology education finally paid off!

By patrick on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 12:41 pm:

wisper thats assuming you spell heritage right. i think spunk spelled "herritage" somewhere, maybe the other silly thread.

i found the word has been used by spider, tiggy and sem as well in this thread.

By patrick on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 12:41 pm:

oh and tiggy stop being an ass.

By spunky on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 01:10 pm:

I am honestly trying trying to be open minded.
    I have discovered that I am not a true conservative.

I strongly oppose their stands on morality issues.

By Nate on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 01:40 pm:

the smart money is in being socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

so sem, are there any racially white, ethnicly african-americans?

By patrick on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 01:45 pm:

i've met several blonde blue-eyed south african girls...who, coincidentally were amazing hot, giving me a really messed impression of south african girls.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 01:51 pm:

Nate, I would think that ethnicity is a subset of race, so....no.

I would consider "South African" to be like "American," in that unless your ancestors were the indigenous people of that land, you can't call rightfully call your ethnicity "South African." If you're white in South Africa, you're probably of English or Dutch extraction.

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 02:01 pm:

Hey, today I've had an ass tell me to stop being an ass and an arrogant fuck tell me to stop being an arrogant fuck.

I must be doing my job. :)

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 02:02 pm:

All I need now is for spunk to tell me to stop being a stupid idiot and life would be complete.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 02:11 pm:

I take back the last part of my last post.

I'm thinking of Portugal and Spain. There are cultural differences between the two countries, but if you're looking at DNA, how different are the Portuguese and the Spaniards, huh?

Especially nowadays, with people as free to move around the globe as they are, is there really much actual (genetic?) difference between and Englishman and a Dutchman? So isn't it just a cultural affiliation that people in America highlight when they call themselves Dutch-American, or whatever?

And what about me? My dad is from Italy, but he's about as far from the stereotypical Italian as you can imagine (he's very quiet and unemotional, he doesn't care about food, he's not in touch with his family, he doesn't like music, he's extremely conscientious and organized, he's not a good dresser, etc.). I call myself Italian-American, because I am, but I don't relate to the Italian-American culture (e.g., what you see on Olive Garden commercials) because that's not what I've experienced.

By semillama on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 02:11 pm:

Ethnically? no. Culturally? yes. If you reallywant to muddy up the waters, we can start talking culture if you want...

For example, what little box do you put the black seminoles in?

By Spider on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 02:18 pm:

Synchronicity!

By Nate on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 02:26 pm:

alright anthro-boy, define 'race', 'ethnicity' and 'culture' for me. and if you tell me there is no black-and-white distinction between the three you're going to get something akin to my 'psychology is not a science' rant.

i would say i am ethnically american. i am culturally californian. i'm racially ? who the fuck knows.

By dave. on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 02:40 pm:

isn't race the same as breed?

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 02:56 pm:

Nate, you're not qualified to rant about what is, or is not, a science.

By Nate on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 03:26 pm:

are you qualified to make such a statement?

By Antigone on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 03:33 pm:

Yes.

By Spider on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 03:36 pm:

Aw, come on! Is that the best you two can do?

By patrick on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 03:54 pm:

yeah whats next, you weenies gonna start pulling each others hair?

By semillama on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 04:12 pm:

well according to merriam -webster:
    the relevant definition of race is
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle French, generation, from Old Italian razza
    Date: 1580
    1 : a breeding stock of animals
    2 a : a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock b : a class or kind of people unified by community of interests, habits, or characteristics <the English race>

b is where all the confusion comes in.

Ethnicity is:
    Pronunciation: eth-'ni-s&-tE
    Function: noun
    Date: 1950
    : ethnic quality or affiliation

not helpful so here's ethnic:

Pronunciation: 'eth-nik
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle English, from Late Latin ethnicus, from Greek ethnikos national, gentile, from ethnos nation, people; akin to Greek Ethos custom -- more at SIB
    Date: 15th century
    1 : HEATHEN
    2 a : of or relating to large groups of people classed according to common racial, national, tribal, religious, linguistic, or cultural origin or background <ethnic minorities> <ethnic enclaves> b : being a member of an ethnic group c : of, relating to, or characteristic of ethnics <ethnic neighborhoods> <ethnic foods>

and culture:

5 a : the integrated pattern of human knowledge, belief, and behavior that depends upon man's capacity for learning and transmitting knowledge to succeeding generations b : the customary beliefs, social forms, and material traits of a racial, religious, or social group c : the set of shared attitudes, values, goals, and practices that characterizes a company or corporation

That's a starting point. more a little later. But i would say there is a clear distinction between culture and race/ethnicity. It;s the line between race and ethnicity that the problems really start, since race and ethnicity are cultural constructs (of course, the notion of culture is one as well, but it can't exist seperate from itself). What i mean is, you can have culture without the concepts of race and ethnicity, but not vice versa.

By Merriam on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 05:59 pm:

Don't bring me into this.

By dave. on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 06:12 pm:

guffaw!chortle!snort!

mmmmmmmrrrp.

By semillama on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 06:15 pm:

Merriam, since you're a dead guy and I'm an archaeologist, who else am I gonna bring in?

By Webster on Wednesday, May 7, 2003 - 06:23 pm:

Shaddyup you ole battleax Merriam, wh do you always have to be a pill?

By Cat on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 02:16 am:

Lordy, I see why Nate left.

I feel my IQ has suffered for reading this thread. I'm off to read some Graham Greene in the hope of reviving it.

By Pablo on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 04:52 pm:

my sister`s freakin hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By patrick on Tuesday, November 11, 2003 - 06:27 pm:

holy shit!

By moonit on Wednesday, November 12, 2003 - 04:32 am:

can you hook me up?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact