got asthma?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: got asthma?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By wisper on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 12:42 pm:

hey!
    do you have asthma? i do.

at first i was just going to ask that, but then i found this article. No comment, really. Just asking.

---------
    Swimming pool chlorine linked to asthma epidemic

PARIS (AFP) - Chlorine used to disinfect indoor swimming pools could be one of the causes behind an astonishing surge in childhood asthma in developed countries in the past few decades, according to a new study.

The suspected culprit is trichloramine, a gassy, easily inhalable irritant that is released in a complex process when chlorinated water reacts with urine, sweat or other organic matter brought by swimmers.

Trichloramine has previously been fingered as a trigger for three proteins that destroy the cellular barrier protecting the lungs, making it permeable and more prone to the passage of allergens -- the substances that unleash an asthma attack.

Belgian researchers, writing in the British research journal Occupational and Environmental Medicine, took blood samples from 226 young primary schoolchildren who had swum regularly at indoor pools since early childhood.

They also took samples from 29 adults and children both before and after a session in an indoor pool.

The samples show that youngsters who regularly attend indoor pools accumulate these proteins, making them more at risk from asthma.

Most frightening of all: the children who swam most frequently had protein levels of the kind found in regular smokers.

Protein levels even rose measurably among people who had been sitting at the poolside and had not swum.

"The increasing exposure of chlorination products in indoor pools might be an important cause of the rising incidence of childhood asthma and allergic disease in industrialised countries," say the scientists, led by Alfred Bernard, a toxicologist at Brussels' Catholic University of Louvain.

The effects were the same for children wherever they lived, and remained after taking account of other environmental pollutants. But they were strongest in the youngest children.

Levels of trichloramine -- chemical name nitrogen trichloride (NCl 3) -- vary a lot, however.

It depends on how crowded the pool is, the ventilation and how clean the swimmers are.

The authors were astounded when they were unable to locate a single serious study to check whether chlorine or other disinfectant chemicals pose a risk for swimmers, especially youngsters who are the most frequent users.

"The belief that the swimming pool environment is safe is so deeply rooted in our minds that it is regarded as a healthy practice to send schoolchildren swimming as frequently as possible -- much more than necessary for swimming training -- even from the youngest age," they say.

"The question needs to be raised as to whether it would not be prudent in the future to move towards non-chlorine based disinfectants, or at least to reinforce water and air quality control in indoor pools, in order to minimise exposure to these reactive chemicals," the authors say.

In the United States alone, some 17.3 million people suffer from asthma. Since 1980, hospitalisation of patients and deaths occurring from asthma in the United States have risen 75 percent.

By J on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 01:39 pm:

Jesus,my parents thought swimming was good for asthma,I have it and my dad dumped us at the public pool from the time it opened till it closed.I thought I had gotten over it when I was a teen.How wierd that you bring this up Whisper because when I use to work out alot that's when I found out I still had asthma excersize induced and when I started having an attack all I could smell was bleach. Hmmmm

By patrick on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 02:06 pm:

i swam like a fish as a kid and have never had asthma, but i rarely swam in an indoor pool.

I wonder what the difference is in indoor and outdoor. Ventillation? The sun?

By eri on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 02:17 pm:

Patrick, it's ventilation, to a point. Outdoor pools still have this chemical in them, and you still run into the same things as far as biological elements in the pool, so the risk is still there, but smaller.

I have asthma, Spunky does, Hayley does and Micki does. We all have it.

I was 19 when I first started having trouble with asthma, and they told me it was due to toxemia in my pregnancy, so afterward, I just thought it was an unfortunate side effect of being so sick when I was preggers. I was 22 before I was finally diagnosed with it. I don't have trouble with it anymore, or I should say that I very rarely have difficulty. I don't even own an inhaler.

Both of the kids have done a lot better since their ear and adenoid surgeries and have very rarely needed anything for their asthma either. Though Hayley gets problems sometimes when we swim. Now I know why.

We usually hit the pool at least once a day when the weather is warm, but when the old management company left our complex, they took all of the pool stuff with them and have been stealing stock from the maintenance room ever since. We have one pool with a broken light in it, that needs to be drained before it can be fixed, so it is closed, and we have one pool that is literally a lovely shade of green, and then one growing algae in the toddler pool and one that is just growing algae, even though it is clear. Needless to say, we haven't been swimming. The new management feels horrible about the pools and the kids being out of school now and not able to go swimming and they have a professional company hitting this place today. The new maintenance man knows about the systems on these pools that I am unfarmiliar with and I know about testing waters and balancing them so that they are safe, so between the two of us, we can do care for the pools in a pinch. Hopefully this will all end soon. Hayley is supposed to have a pool party for her birthday on Saturday afternoon.

Anyways, we all have asthma, not a major thing for us but we have it, and now I know why Hayley's asthma acts up in the pool sometimes. And here I thought it was because she was overexerting herself :p

By spunky on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 04:45 pm:

She does go nuts like a little freak in the pool, takes huge breaths, puffs up her cheaks, plugs her nose, goes under water and drink some of it and comes back up 1.5 seconds later, over and over again. Some day she is going to hypervenilate her silly self....

By wisper on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 07:37 pm:

i know j, isn't it creepy?
    I'm surprised no one (scientists or regular folk, or even me darn it) never thought of this before. I mean, that shit turns your hair green and burns your eyes, so what is it doing to the rest of our bodies?
    What were we thinking?! it's so obvious!

my parents have a boat, so they insisted on year-round swimming lessons from a very younge age.
    I think most people can agree, swimming lessons fucking suck.
    It was one of my teachers that recommended asthma tests, with me not being able to finish a lap without wheezing.

By eri on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 09:46 pm:

I only had swimming lessons for a short time of one summer. It was all that I needed. After that I swam like a fish all over the place.

Hayley had swimming lessons at the Y once, but they were a joke, so I didn't get her swimming lessons again. Instead I introduced her to a kid a little younger than her who could swim all over the place last summer when he was 5. That motivated her to want to learn to swim. She didn't slow down when the swimming weather started this summer.

I don't force her into lessons and over time I don't think I will with Micki, too. I think Micki won't need actual swimming lessons either. She just needs her confidence now.

By wisper on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 11:10 pm:

i'd say that your kid's breathing problems during or after swimming isn't because of the chemicals, but the water pressure.
    Everything is more strenuous in water because of it. I notice it's harder to breathe as soon as i get chest-high in water, fresh or chlorinated.
    It packs a few pounds of force on ya.

I almost never use my puffer, unless i have to walk a long way. However much air i'm getting without it is fine for everyday stuff.
    I didn't know how bad my lungs were until i got a bad lung infection a few years ago and was perscribed the infamous BROWN PUFFER, the bronchial steroids.
    How much is this going to do for 80 bucks? I thought, *puff puff*, and then had to steady myself on the sink after the instant gasping head rush of oxygen.
    I could breathe!!!

but not for 80 bucks a month, thank you.

By eri on Tuesday, June 3, 2003 - 11:26 pm:

When they finally discovered I had asthma I got the lovely steroids puffer, too. It did wonders and after about 3 months I have hardly needed anything since. Fortunately mine was covered under insurance and was only $10 each. Not that I can get any prescription for $10 anymore. Those were the days.

When Hayley gets swimming in the pool for a while then she starts getting that asthma cough. It hasn't been that bad lately, bu you know, it still happens rather frequently.

I went to help the new maintenance guy work on the pools today, and geez what a total mess. It started pouring rain on us almost as soon as I got there. Then the thunder. Then it stopped, and it was such a mess. I mean, dead animals in it and everything. Yeah, it will be ready by this weekend, sure.

By The Watcher on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 12:55 pm:

What's the infamous "Brown Puffer"?

I've had a lot of different inhalers since I was diagnost with allergic asthma about thirteen years ago. But, never a brown inhaler.

By eri on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 01:58 pm:

Cortizone/steroid inhalers. They are white and green here. Azmacort is one of the brands of them, but there are all kinds out there now.

By Platypus on Tuesday, June 10, 2003 - 10:08 pm:

maybe flovent? it's kind of orange, though.

my azmacort was huge and white and looked like a sex toy.

it's neat how inhalers come in a variety of colours and if you have lots of spare time like me you keep them and switch out the canisters so you can accesorive with the outfit of that day.

why don't they just make them basic black?

By wisper on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 06:56 pm:

the brown puffers here may be flovent, mine's not around to check. They are bronchial steroids. It means your lungs are in pretty bad shape, or you have bad-ass bronchitis.

they sell puffer covers. I have a Bart Simpson one that i got just because it was so absurd. Once on, the push-down part comes out the middle of his spikes, and the mouthpiece juts out of the back of his neck, and the whole thing looks retarded. No kid would ever carry this around. It's also huge, like fist sized. They had a Tweety one as well.
    Makes asthma fun!

By wisper on Wednesday, June 11, 2003 - 06:57 pm:

the brown puffers here may be flovent, mine's not around to check. They are bronchial steroids. It means your lungs are in pretty bad shape, or you have bad-ass bronchitis.

they sell puffer covers. I have a Bart Simpson one that i got just because it was so absurd. Once on, the push-down part comes out the middle of his spikes, and the mouthpiece juts out of the back of his neck, and the whole thing looks retarded. No kid would ever carry this around. It's also huge, like fist sized. They had a Tweety one as well.
    Makes asthma fun!

By The Watcher on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 04:10 pm:

I think you are confusing Albuteral with the steroids.

The steroids reduse the inflamation. Albuteral is the one that opens the passages.

By eri on Friday, June 13, 2003 - 05:54 pm:

When the albuterol doesn't work to open the passages anymore, they give you the steroid/cortizone inhaler to open them up. That's why they add to cortizone to the steroid inhalers, to open up the passages more when the albuterol doesn't cut it.

By wisper on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 12:25 am:

the brown is flovent:
    Fluticasone (floo-TIK-a-sone) belongs to the family of medicines known as corticosteroids (cortisone-like medicines). It is used to help prevent the symptoms of asthma. When used regularly every day, inhaled fluticasone decreases the number and severity of asthma attacks. However, it will not relieve an asthma attack that has already started.

By dave. on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 12:53 am:

god, that sounds hellish.

By The Watcher on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 02:43 pm:

I used to use Flovent in combination with Serovent. Now I use Advair. It's a combination product.

I use Combivent as my rescue inhaler most of the time, it's very convienient. But, I find if I'm having a stronger than usual episode Ventolin with Arribid in seperate inhalers works better.

By eri on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 03:00 pm:

When I was finally diagnosed with asthma they put me on Ventolin for a rescue inhaler, and Azmacort for regular maintenance. I was able to stop using the Azmacort after about 3 months and almost NEVER need an albuterol inhaler anymore.

My nephew still has a really hard time with his asthma, though, and has regular treatments with his nebulizer on top of the regular stuff. It sucks. He ends up in the hospital at least 4 times a year if not more.

By Platypus on Monday, June 16, 2003 - 03:24 pm:

Advair rocks. It's purple. It really makes much more sense than the flovent/serovent combination, too. I like discus inhalers, though sometimes they leave that funny gritty feeling in your mouth.

I use Maxxair as my rescue inhaler most of the time.

By wisper on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 06:54 pm:

i had a disc inhaler at first, it was great because it didn't have those nasty chemicals to shoot out the stuff, and it tastes like sugar (as opposed to the regular "hairspray" taste of puffers) But i found it impossible to use if i was sick, i'd just cough all the powder out.
    Diskhalers look way cool too.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact