How do various religions effect the afterlife?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: How do various religions effect the afterlife?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By eri on Wednesday, June 18, 2003 - 08:12 pm:

*Bonus Question: Is hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic
    (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas
    cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed), or some
    variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

First we need to know how the mass of hell is changing in time. So we need
    to know the rate that souls are moving into hell and the rate they are
    leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to hell, it
    will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are
    entering hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world
    today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their
    religion, you will go to hell.

Since there are more than one of these religions, and since people do not
    belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls will go to
    hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in
    hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the
    volume in hell, because Boyle's law states that in order for the temperature
    and pressure in hell to stay the same, the volume of hell has to expand
    proportionately as souls are added. This gives two possibilities:

1. If hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter
    hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will increase until all hell
    breaks loose.

2. If hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in
    hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until hell freezes over.

So which is it?

By Bob and tom on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 03:32 am:

if thats ment to b a joke thats pretty funny at least the end part... thats the only part i read so yeah...

By Brucecorp on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 06:29 pm:

if you die, and go to hell, then you would have no central nervus system, which in turns means that you would not be capable of being able to feel physical contact. with that said, then why would flames and pitch forks scare you?

and if you are a soul, cuz you leave your body behind, then you are not boung by the normal whelms of physic, since you have no physical presence, you can walk through walls and such. if this happens, then what stops you from leaving? really, you can just walk threw anything that keeps you there.

By Satan on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 06:44 pm:

Ah, the horrors I could inflict on such simple minds...

By Vilnius viper on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 07:46 pm:

eri,i think a person can have more than one religion,i have three or four,you just use the best bits,mix them together,then you have a sort of religion cake mix.

By eri on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 08:54 pm:

That's pretty much what I do. Religious cake mix, I am going to have to remember that one when I get shit about my tarot cards and how they are the reason bad things have been happening lately......heh.

The above was an extra credit question from a university where I used to live, and I thought I would share it.

By Vilnius viper on Monday, June 30, 2003 - 09:02 pm:

in tarot cards,you need more of them upside down men,tied up with rope[for good luck]

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact