Hip Mamas

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Hip Mamas
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 02:42 pm:

I just read this

Maybe Im loosing my mind.

Maybe.

This type of event seems so god damn ironic its absurd.

"A brainstorming session in “creative activism” yielded ideas such as silk-screening political logos for babies’ onesies, making politically correct coloring books for kids, and using corporations’ own postage-paid envelopes to mail bricks back to the companies."

Brainstorming? They brainstormed and this is all they came up with? Ok, the brick idea is amusing. But silk screening onsies with political logos?

Wait...i thought these folks represented some sorta of collective of freethinkers. So using your baby as a political agenda vehicle is free-thinking?

Politically correct coloring books? How about politically absent coloring books? Babies and childeren should be empty of politics. Politics are an adult obsession that really serves to fuck us all one way or the other. For gods sake leave politics out until at least they're in the double digits.

Eva was given two political shirts. One handmade onesie that said "No War in Iraq" and another black tee shirt that says in very simple minimal letters "activist".

At first i thought "cool!" Then i thought. 'Using a baby to express MY ideals is a bit pussy isnt it?'

Only around the house do I put on her "activist" shirt, and frankly, its so minimal and general that im pretty ok with that. The "no war in Iraq" onsie will never touch her skin.

So back to these "hip mama's"....

"the vibe was simmering rage mixed with bitter resentment toward all things corporate and/or institutional"

wait. isn't this whole gathering a bit institutional? conformity with "diversity"?

further, how healthy is an event "simmering with rage" and "bitter resentment". Pardon me, Id like to think a gather of mama's and babies could be a little more on the positive side. Resentment and rage are a drag.

Why not substitute everything political and issue orientated for art or nature? Instead of silly fucking political coloringbooks how about abstract art coloring books? Renaissance period color books? Geometric shapes color books? Sea creature coloring books?

I dunno. I read this and thought what an absurd event. Im probably over thinking it all, but I'd love some thoughts on this....I've had fears having a child might swing me to the conservative, but id like to think this has nothing to do with conservatism one way or the other.

By eri on Saturday, July 19, 2003 - 04:32 pm:

OK, if nothing I say makes any sense, then I am sorry. I took a Claritin for the first time this morning and FUCKING A, I feel like a medicine head, and like i have a fucking cold. So there is a partial brain cloud going on here.

Patrick I agree with you on so many levels it is funny. I mean, children do not need to be my canvas for my political beliefs.

I staunchly believe that children need to learn to think for themselves (remember mine are a little older so it is a little different, but not too much). I think that if I am shoving my political beliefs down their throat since birth, well then I am not letting them think for themselves. Same with religion. They need to figure out what they want for themselves. I encourage them to read, use their imaginations, draw, anything related to art (age appropriate), writing, whatever I think will help them learn.

I will not use my children to further my own personal agenda. My kids don't have t-shirts or clothes of political statements of any kind. The only statement I make with my kids clothes is that my 9 year old isn't dressing like Britney Spears.

I find it funny that they seemed institutional in their actions but were raging against exactly what they were doing.

I have seen some of these politically correct coloring books and even children's books. Holy fuck to they make me laugh. I seriously laugh my ass off. The way they change characters in books who were evil into victims, or changed the ugly into the beautiful but misunderstood. They are fucking hillarious.

Frankly as a kid I loved the bloody, ugly, politically incorrect stuff. It spurred my imagination, because I didn't think these things were real and built my own fantasy world of imagination as most kids do at those ages. Now there isn't the evil ones but the misunderstood ones and it changes the whole thing. No one is offended, but I loved the "offensive" stuff.

I will go thru Micki's books when I get a chance and see if I can find some of it to share with you. It's funny/retarded/politically correct as hell.

I can say that I wouldn't ever put a screenprinted political shirt on my kids, though. They can deal with it in their own time when they are ready and make their own decisions about politics. They aren't my spokesperson. I am. I will not use my kids to make a statement that I am perfectly capable of making myself.

By Platypus on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 02:08 am:

I like how they've edited the shel silverstein poems to be politically correct....

SO SILLY!

By heather on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 06:13 am:

declaring your child an activist is rather trendy these days.

i'm hoping it'll blow over. as you can clearly see, politics are not my sphere.

ah. babies.

By patrick on Sunday, July 20, 2003 - 04:07 pm:

ok....so im not out of my mind.

By semillama on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 10:16 am:

no. but they are. They're just setting themselves up to be fodder for conservative pundits.

By J on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 12:11 pm:

Their spawn will probabably kill them for their credit cards when they hit puberty.

By sarah on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 06:17 pm:

jeezis h i cannot wait to get knocked up already.

By agatha on Monday, July 21, 2003 - 08:18 pm:

I predict...

Sarah will be preggers within the next two years, with or without a steady.

Also...

That article really makes everything sound much more political than it actually is at those gatherings. It's really not like that.

Other than that statement, I have no further comment.

By sarah on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 03:21 pm:

you never know, might be sooner than you think.

i have a date with a medical doctor thursday night. he's from hawaii, been living in austin for a year. we were connected through mutual friends in hawaii. he called today and asked me to go with him to see Raul Malo at the Continental Club. dinner and drinks beforehand.

like a real fuckin' date 'n' shit.

he just bought a house too, and has invited me to his housewarming party mid August.

did i mention he's a doctor?

from hawaii?

By eri on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 04:30 pm:

So he's a doctor, has mutual friends with you from Hawaii, owns his own place.......Sounds good to me! Hope you have fun with the doctor!!!

From Hawaii, stuck in Austin. At least you know you aren't the only one!!!

By J on Tuesday, July 22, 2003 - 05:31 pm:

Very interesting:)

By sarah on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 12:21 pm:

yeah, i know. but here's the sorabji punchline:

he's a Gastroenterologist

go ahead, make my day.

By J on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 01:47 pm:

That made mine.

By wisper on Wednesday, July 23, 2003 - 06:58 pm:

sa-weet!

By sarah on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 06:32 pm:

aaaiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeee i am so excited for tonight i could eat a pound of chocolate. we talked on the phone at length this afternoon. he is SO NICE. and he surfs!!

oh man. what am i going to wear? wish me luck.

By wisper on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 06:41 pm:

forget that, how will you sign your new name?

lol

a crush on the surfing ass doctor.

By J on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 06:41 pm:

Wear something short and sexy:) Good luck Sarah!

By heather on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 06:43 pm:

sarah, i only get WB [as i've said] and when i
    catch glimpses of the surfers in the hideous
    surfing reality show hanging out it totally
    reminds me of you

By agatha on Thursday, July 24, 2003 - 08:31 pm:

heh, ass doctor. you should call him that tonight, Sarah.

By heather on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 12:02 pm:

just some stuff about cleo

picture? new habits?

just haven't heard anything in a long time. perhaps because she's growing up and it's more her own business?....

By agatha on Friday, July 25, 2003 - 10:56 pm:

Well, let's see. She's nine now, she's really into pop music, soccer, reading, knitting, and guinea pigs. We are going to the Thurston County fair next week for our 4H group, and she's all stoked up about that. She went to soccer camp earlier this summer, courtesy of my friend who wants her to be a jock. She's still a serious airhead, and frequently abandons things that she starts, which I blame on myself because she's modeling my habits of starting too many things and not being able to finish them. Her current look of favor is flare jeans and snug shirts that show her navel. She likes for her hair to be really straight and smooth, and tries to comb it a million times to make it that way, but she skips over the snarls so the effect she's going for never quite works. She's still very sweet and loving and smart, but she's definitely starting to sass us a little. I think she's going to start piano lessons in the fall, and we have an organ that she can practice on in the garage. That's all I can think of at the moment, I'll have her post sometime and you can ask her questions.

By dave. on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 02:49 am:

cleo is awesome. our friends just got some pictures back from a little sailing trip we took a few weeks ago and there's an amazing picture of her on the boat. maybe i'll edit my fat ass out of it and post it somewhere.

cleo is a frickin good kid. yet, i worry . . .

she's so unfocused. like me.

By J on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 12:26 pm:

Yes,do post the pictures don't edit.How was the date with the ass doctor Sarah? Agatha you do catch on:)

By agatha on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 02:44 pm:

ass doctor ass doctor,
    show us all your bum.
    ass doctor ass doctor,
    you give our Sarah some.
    ass doctor ass doctor,
    treat our Sarah fine.
    ass doctor ass doctor,
    she'll make you feel sublime.

By V.v. on Saturday, July 26, 2003 - 03:31 pm:

agatha,you ever considered getting your little un into ADS?there are modelling agents all over the place,my self,i made a small fourtune from ads on t.v.years ago.[as a kid]if you need to know more,i am all allways here.regards from eastern europe.

By heather on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 10:32 pm:

yay cleo!

i would love to see pictures

so wild to me that you have this person that
    you made and now she so independent

the sound of a guinea pig is so cool

By heather on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 10:33 pm:

she *is* so independent

By dave. on Monday, July 28, 2003 - 11:20 pm:

it is amazing. and moving along so quickly.

By eri on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 12:45 am:

I was saying the same thing about Hayley earlier today. They grow up so fast.

By dave. on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 01:20 am:

we need to go camping soon. before she doesn't give a shit any more.

it's been several years.

i love cleo.

By J on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 02:54 am:

We camped alot when our kids were young,can't beat it,just don't sing badly late at night.

By J on Tuesday, July 29, 2003 - 05:18 pm:

So how did the date with the ass doctor go Sarah?

By wisper on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 07:26 pm:

yes! tell us of the ass doctor!

(i hope her not answering is because she's off having his babies.)

By eri on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 09:30 pm:

or at least getting some good nookie :)

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact