Haunting

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Haunting
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 12:56 pm:

Last night I was haunted.

In my darkroom, waiting for my film to finish washing, i was rummaging through a pile of cassette tapes. generic blank tapes...many mine, many nico's. mostly mixed tapes. tapes i once made from all of 7"s. however, a lot of them, are unlabeled so its anybody's guess as to whats on them.

i found a tape. it seemed to make me think it was an old band tape....the one band i was in right out of high school. so i popped it in.

it wasnt. it was a tape my late dad made. i KNEW i had this tape, i found it when he died. It just totally caught me off guard, as I was expecting shitty assed garage recorded music and i get the southern slur of my dad.I hadnt heard it in years, and I couldnt tell you whats on it. I dont think i listened to it completely when i got it.

nico happened to be right near me and stopped, and started to well up. More so for me. She only spoke to my dad, once, briefly, on the phone, weeks before he died. she only knows him through me. But she knows how much i loved him. How much I was hurt by the course that life took him on. She also knows that i, in her words, got the greatest gift from my dad, sensitivity and lovingness. So she got tears for me. Saving me from having them myself.

i listened for a couple of minutes, he was rambling on, obviously drunk, about companionship. he goes on to "quote" the bible in some instances. I say "quote" because he's not really drawing on specific verses as much as he is drawing on general ideas from the bible about needing friends and family. he cites his own need for this, for love, someone to talk to. he cites his paranoia as a reason for missing out on alot of it and he goes on to say that in those times, he sought comfort in (strip) clubs.

I had to stop the tape before i completely lost it. I will listen to it in more depth, and report back on its detail though, as this post isnt very revealing in that light.

But i had to admit, hearing his voice, haunted the hell out of me.

He had a much more southern accent than I recall. Which is kinda funny, a middle eastern looking man with a drawl. But then again, Ive noticed the accents of my family members much more since Ive been out of the south.

Is there anything particular you've been haunted by recently?

By J on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 01:44 pm:

Not recently but some time after my father had passed away,same thing,mom had given this giant tape recorder with huge reels.I put it on and theres my dads voice,he's helping my brother with his homework.My dad was trying to help bro define stubborn, dad "you know what stubbord means,hard headed" bro "like janny"? A sad sounding Dad "yes like Janny". I just lost it,I realized that tape was made when I was a runaway,I cried for all the hurt I put him through and all the hurt I went through and now I'm starting again.

By eri on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 02:06 pm:

I was putting videos up. I have a tape like that (video of course) of my grandfather. I just stumbled across it last week, not having seen it since my grandmother's death. There are pieces of video of him, and pictures all through his life, and newspaper clippings of his work, everything special that he did (and there was a lot). I haven't had the heart to watch it. I get ready to break down just looking at the tape, let alone putting it in the vcr.

By patrick on Wednesday, July 30, 2003 - 02:26 pm:

thats really endearing J.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact