self-destruct

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: self-destruct
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By patrick on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 01:52 pm:

so, i thought Mark hit the self-destruct button. finally.

upon reading his message on the front page, and not finding a link to the boards.

but maybe...he's up to something.

so I sent a small humble good bye to those whose email i have.

obviously, the bar is still standing.

whats up with that? did anyone but me read that and think as I did?

my bookmark has always been the front page like that, so you know.....i was thoroughly caught.

By semillama on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 03:22 pm:

me too. I was frantic for a moment. then Kazu told me to type in "/strangle" and there it was.

If he wants to hand off the whole deal, I wouldn't blame him, and hopefully one of the webheads here would be able to keep it going somehow.

By Spider on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 03:23 pm:

My bookmark is the "new messages" page...the only weirdness I've seen is the dysfunctional search page.

By Nate on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 03:26 pm:

spider could you email me?

By spunky on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 03:29 pm:

if i had the money for the hosting, I would help keep it up

By patrick on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 03:32 pm:

hey spidey would you email me too? your aol addy didnt work for me today.

By patrick on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 03:33 pm:

moreover, whats mark really saying? and what will become?

By Spider on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 03:39 pm:

Why am I so popular today?

Nate, done. Patrick, done. (My AOL account died a few months ago.)

By TBone on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 04:18 pm:

I just ordered a dedicated server yesterday for some other sites I'm working on. So I've got a place to host things if need be.

By wisper on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 07:58 pm:

i'm freaking out.

By Rowlf on Monday, October 20, 2003 - 09:10 pm:

silly rabbits, all you have to to is go to google and type Sorabji and then anyones name, or topic, or strangle, anything.

By kazu on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:12 am:

the boards can't go away They changed my life. I mean REALLY changed my life. If I hadn't seen this thread (among others), I can only imagine all the ways I would have otherwise screwed up.

By Czarina on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 10:42 am:

Hmmmm.

By sarah on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:32 pm:

i'm glad i didn't have to kick your ass Miss E.

:)

By sarah on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 12:39 pm:

though i wouldn't even think of destroying the boards, and even though mark has this habit of every once in a while becoming overly melodramatic with regard to this website, i do think i understand where mark's coming from.

i gave up my website for similar reasons. to me the web is all work now, except for these here boards. i rarely surf the web, i'm rarely enchanted by anything web technology-related, i rarely send or receive any personal email of any length or importance. the magic of cyberspace is gone. it's just a function now, an errand, part of every day life. it's useful. i need it. but the fascination and exploration is gone.

By heather on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 01:29 pm:

i miss your website, sarah

i understand, too. i could never have done it in
    the first place, though occasionally tempted.

By TBone on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 04:10 pm:

When it comes to web stuff, and net stuff in general, it's definitely becoming less about the net for its own sake and more about being a means to do other things... Which means simplicity rules. I think that's part of what makes this place so nice. There's no logins, no profiles, no threaded views or themes or even any graphics at all on the boards.

By spunky on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 04:22 pm:

did you guys read the new story he posted, about the dead guy?

By semillama on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 04:34 pm:

yeah. that was weird. I've never seen a dead body outside of a funeral home.

unless you count the pieces of bones I picked up during that one cemetary survey, but they weren't articulated or anything...

By Antigone on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 05:03 pm:

Anyone talked with Mark? Is he OK?

By sarah on Tuesday, October 21, 2003 - 05:29 pm:

well, he was just fine on the 20th... just taking a break he said. but i haven't heard anything since.

By kazu on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 01:50 am:

i'm glad you didn't have to kick my ass either.

could someone please tell me why my computer speakers (not on this, my laptop, but on my desktop on the other side of the room) keep scaring the shit out of me by suddenly making VERY LOUD static sounds. I'm not talking about the low buzz of whatever kind of frequency(???) they pick up. I'm talkin loud static sounds that just start up out of no where.

WOOSHWOOSHHSHSHHHWOOOOOSHHHWOOOOOOSHH the aliens are coming WOOSHWOOSHHSHSHHHWOOOOOSHHHWOOOOOOSHH help WOOSHWOOSHHSHSHHHWOOOOOSHHHWOOOOOOSHH
    it's the end of the world WOOSHWOO SHHSHSHHHWOOOOOSHHHWOOOOOOSHH

By dave. on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 02:51 am:

bad contacts or rfi. prolly rfi.

my stereo used to do that sometimes. you know, when you don't have a cd playing but it's on anyway. suddenly, at ear bleeding decibels, i'd be forced to eavesdrop on someone's cb conversation.

yours is probably someone's car motor isn't properly shielded and it just happens to be emitting a frequency that resonates with the length of your speaker cables or some other component of the sound system.

or it could be your imagination.

By dave. on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 02:53 am:

or it's the langoliers coming to getcha!!!

By patrick on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 12:38 pm:

or, you're in the process of self destructing.

By kazu on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 01:36 pm:

Maybe.

Is anyone else having problems accessing Yahoo! mail today?

By patrick on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 01:42 pm:

nein

By patrick on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 01:42 pm:

thats German for "no" in case i tripped you up.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 02:07 pm:

Last night I saw a program on PBS about a German U-Boat found off the New Jersey coast. It was so cool. There were no official records accounting for any U-Boat sunk in that area, but the divers who found it spent over 6 years (and three lives -- the wreck is 230 ft. below, which is 100 ft. deeper than is safe to dive) in their quest to identify it.

The program interviewed a few old German men who had served on U-Boats, including one who was supposed to have been on that particular U-Boat when it left Norway but had been sick. It was very moving to hear these men talk about how their actions during the war still haunt them.

Really neat. Yeah. Or ja.

By Spider on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 02:09 pm:

Here's an interview with the man who survived.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 02:22 pm:

i've seen that story before.

speaking of odd Naval occurances off the coast of the US, have you ever heard of the Philadelphia Experiment of 1943. Like the Manhatten Project it was a super secret project that supposedly similarly used Einstein's reaserch as well as Tesla's in which the Navy attempted to make a ship invisible and even transport in time and space by using heat and magentic fields.

Supposedly the ship the USS Eldridge disappeared from Norfolk hardor under a green haze to reappear in Philadelphia harbor in a span of 15 minutes according to witnesses in both locations. many crew members were reportedly sick, some were literally wedged into the hull of the ship, some never reappeaared.

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/pages/philadelphia.html

By Nate on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 02:50 pm:

woa, dude. that's a total fucking coincidence, because there's a movie called the philadelphia experiment where that very thing happens.

By spunky on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 03:08 pm:

By Rowlf on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 06:03 pm:

if yer having trouble with yahoo mail, you should just try using some foreign version of it, like yahoo.de, or .ca or something... usually if ones down theres always another one open... i've never had trouble with it.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact