Dear San Francisco...

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Dear San Francisco...
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Patrick on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 02:47 pm:

Dear San Francisco,

Keep on keepin on.

We've missed you for some time.

Patrick
    LA

By patrick on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 06:52 pm:

"Shocking!", she said

I realize im preaching to the choir on this matter.

Im just baffled that so many evangelical people in this country think gays can do any more to the institution that straights havent already done.

Moreover, where's the seperation of chuch and state is in this matter?

Like abortion, this is such a non-issue.

I woke up Saturday and found my supreme boss on NPR with Dan Savage of Savage Love talking about the issue. He made a good point. In the 50s and 60s, when gay culture & rights were starting to really brew in modern American society, everyone wanted gays to normalize. Now, when they try and normalize, they are denied. it doesnt make any sense.

Go gays.

Go San Francisco.

Go on with your marrying bad ass selves.

Drag this motherfucking red herring all the way to the Supreme Court of the moral minority insists on it.

By Nate on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 08:28 pm:

it's all about the XIV.

i'm excited. all it is going to take is one state to legalize gay marriage and have it test through to the supreme court of the state. that will legalize gay marriage throughout the land. any contract from any state has to be recognized in all other 49.

By Platy on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 11:23 pm:

i am stoked about the marriage scene. i hope san francisco keeps on rockin' it.

amazing act of protest, well orchestrated....god i hope this means change is in the air.

By dave. on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 11:28 pm:

i'd care more if it wasn't about marriage. i'm kinda disappointed that gays, when given the chance to make sweeping cultural changes, would choose to abandon such a dorky, archaic, hetero society trap -- not embrace it.

but i also think the state shouldn't have anything to do with what is essentially a religious institution unless it's made available to everyone. i mean, what the fuck? are we gonna see baptism or confirmation licences? are we gonna have <generic rite of passage> tax breaks or something?

look, you wanna get married -- go for it. you wanna pretend it's some big, holy deal -- knock yourself out. you wanna make it into some special, state-validated, social status construct -- make it available to everyone or fuck off.

By dave. on Wednesday, February 18, 2004 - 11:29 pm:

"i'm kinda disappointed that gays, when given the chance to make sweeping cultural changes, would choose to abandon such a dorky, archaic, hetero society trap -- not embrace it."

i meant the other way around.

By sarah on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 10:04 am:

well, even if people don't think marriage is important for the dorky, archaic, hetero society trap reasons, it's very important legally and financially. think health insurance. think buying a house. or unfortunately things like alimony. child support.

and obviously it's more of an equal rights thing. gays should be able to do what everyone else has the right to do, even if it is something as "dorky" as marriage.

By dave. on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:45 am:

yeah, that's pretty much what i said.

i think the best thing would be for the gov't to get out of the business of marriage or call it something else. let the churches keep the word.

By patrick on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 12:18 pm:

its more about civic, legal and financial process than anything else.

the religious interpretations of marriage, what it means et al. that crap that has nothing to do with it. the minute some motherfucker starts quoting scripture about how marriage should be between a man and a woman, the conversation is over.

civics, legalities and finanace. thats all it is.

dave, you and agatha joined according to the state right?

By dave. on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 12:32 pm:

i dunno. probably. i think it happens eventually after a certain amount of time passes.

By patrick on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 12:54 pm:

don't be so sure.

not every state has common law marriage statutes. I know this because my mom and stepdad, though never married, are not considered an item by the state of NC despite being together for nearly 25 years. i dont know how they have their finances and whatnot sorted out. they are both employed so healthcare is of their own. but eventually it could become an issue as one or the other looks to retire...most likely my mom at first.

the fact they arent married no one really knows how to designate my stepdad (i just made the decision sometime ago to desginate him as this even though i call him by his first name, as he's been in my life since i was 5,6 years old.) and it was brought to light recently when the obituary for my grandpa was being drawn up. He was left off the obituary, not because the family wanted him off, but the funeral home was confused as to who he was.

small potatoes for sure but my mom was pissed considering he was a pall bearer. her point was, 'do you have to have a title to be a part of this family?' our response was 'no, of course. *WE* all consider him family, but when get in the public realm it gets fucking tricky and not everyone outside this family is privy to the situation, so dont be upset when shit like this happens.'

i used to be all anti marriage and shit. thinking it a shitty institution i wanted nothing to do with but then i realized it was more about, me and my wife, than anyone else. my marriage is not institutional. what everother married couple has done or hasnt done, will have little bearing on mine.

By dave. on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 02:15 pm:

it's kind of like the boy scout issue. just fucking let the scouts wallow in their bigoted, sanctimonious, homo-in-denial bullshit. any gay dude who feels the need to inject himself into that culture needs his head checked anyway.

thus it is with marriage. fight for the rights, not the title. let the bigots keep the word. maybe then someday scouts and marriage will become dirty words like racism and bigotry and they'll have no one to blame except themselves.

By Spider on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 03:04 pm:

Why should marriage be a dirty word?

By semillama on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 03:15 pm:

when it's an excuse for institutionalizing hate.

By dave. on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 03:22 pm:

i think that if it becomes legally defined as something specifically excluding gays, then it should be a dirty word. i also think, out of pure spite if nothing else, that the people who support such a definition should be given all the necessary rope to hang themselves.

By dave. on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 03:36 pm:

actually, what would be really cool is

1) for the definition of marriage to exclude gays

2)for an alternative, "gay-friendly" civil union thing to take it's place, and

3)for all the multitudes of straight, married people who think the whole thing is ridiculous to get divorced and then re-unite under the new civil union thing.

that would leave all the remaining married people exposed as the dirtbags they are.

By Spider on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 03:51 pm:

What the hell? Marriage is not an excuse for instituting hate, it's a legal and/or spiritual bond between two people. There's no hate involved. If bigots want to use their idea of marriage to push their bigotry, the problem lies with the bigots, not with marriage.

By kazu on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 04:05 pm:

well, the bigots seem to be the ones defining for everyone what marriage should and shouldn't be so thus, marriage in our society is being used to institutionalize hate, as it is being constructed as an institution for some and not others.

And I don't care how much they say, Love the Sinner, Hate the Sin. If the sinners want to practice the sin, then the two become sort of inseparable in the mind and actions of people.

Any grounds on which hetero is construed as normal, and homosexuality as devient, the institutions which spring from that

By kazu on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 04:06 pm:

help to legitimate and perpetuate hateful attitudes toward gays.

By dave. on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 04:07 pm:

so, we agree.

By kazu on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 04:16 pm:

obviously, the fault lies with people, I didn't mean to suggest that "marriage" is perpetuating hate and such. I also don't think that allowing gay marriages will lessen hate. It only legitimates homosexuality in the legal citizenship sphere, not in the socio-cultural. It will force a certain toleration within some public institutions, but that doesn't eliminate hate.

By Spider on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 04:39 pm:

My point is that there is nothing inherent to marriage that is hateful. There's nothing inherent to marriage, period. Your own marriage is only what you make it, no more or less.

Heterosexuality *is* normal. Most people are heterosexual, therefore it's the norm. Most people on the planet have dark hair, therefore it's the norm and having blonde or red hair is not the norm. Again, hate is not inherent to this understanding. The hate comes when you place a moral judgment on being abnormal, and even then it's not a necessity. Most people don't mutilate themselves, and I think self-mutiliation is unhealthy and wrong, but I don't hate the people who do it. Hate only comes when you want to hate, and you'll find any excuse to do that. Notice the lack of outcry over stupid celebrity 24-hour marriages, or the number of chapels in Las Vegas, or whatever. The people decrying gay marriage so violently don't really care about the sanctity of marriage or else they'd be all over these heterosexual abominations of the sanctity of marriage, too -- they just want an excuse to hate on gay people.

By dave. on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 04:51 pm:

but i say give marriage to those who want to make it a wedge issue. let 'em have it. like in a tug-of-war, stop fighting over it, let go of the rope and walk off. let 'em fall all over themselves in a confused heap of huffing and puffing. there, take it. buh-bye.

By dave. on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 04:53 pm:

xenophobia and ignorance are normal, too.

By Spider on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 05:04 pm:

Well, like I tried to say, normal vs. abnormal does not imply right vs. wrong. It's just a statistical statement.

By semillama on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 05:24 pm:

well, using the words "normal" and "abnormal" is a value statement for the majority of people, so you have to be careful there using those terms. Normality is more about standards, than about numbers. Normality comes from a value judgement, it's not inherent. To be "normal" is to fit a standard. For example, it's "normal" in our society for people have sex before they are married. Yet there are folks who define premarital sex as "abnormal", i.e. not meeting the standard.

To put it another way, if we had a better society, gays could get married with no fuss, and two people of the same sex getting married woudl be considered "normal" - even though gay marriages would still be a minority of the whole population of marriages.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 06:03 pm:

I dont understand the standard for 'normal'

ie. The majority of Americans dont own the Outkast album. But I'd say owning an OutKast album is quite normal.

another issue revolving around union/marriage.

If a gay person is in the hospital, because gays cant marry, their partner doesnt get the kind of access to that person that a straight person would with their spouse.

beh. To me a lot of rightwingers lost their 'sanctity of marriage' argument when Britney got married/divorced. I didnt see any real outcry there, I didnt see O'Reilly boycotting her sponsors, I didn't see near enough from them. I dont think they really believe in the 'sanctity', its like has been said, its institutionalized hate and/or fear.

Another argument that bothers me is "people get married to have a family, gays cant procreate therefore no gay marriage"

What about all the couples that dont want kids? And besides, I have never, EVER, heard a wedding vow that ever mentioned kids.

By wisper on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 06:54 pm:

Hey, i thought of something else.
    people don't want gays to get married because they can't procreate, and marriage is apparently just for making kids. We have to only bless unions that can create kids!

So their logic would have us believe:

"Hi! I'm gay! I want to get married!"
    "Oh crap, i can't get married if i'm gay."
    "Guess i'll just have to stop being gay then, find an opposite sex mate, get married to them and have 6 kids!"

Gay people ain't going to procreate, whether they're married or not. It makes no difference.

know what i mean?

By kazu on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 06:57 pm:

By dave. on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 08:24 pm:

this thread is gay.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 10:17 pm:

"In many, if not all, catholic ceremonies you vow to "welcome" children into the world and raise them in the Catholic faith."

Okay then, fuck catholicism

Down pope. Down.

By agatha on Thursday, February 19, 2004 - 11:39 pm:

Gay people procreate all the time!

Also, spidey, I'm not trying to slam you but I found your choice of self-mutilation as an example rather odd.

By heather on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 12:17 am:

1- neither being married nor not being married should be a benefit, legally or due to tax or any other reasons

2- the idea that some people in society can't get married makes me feel like we should be living in caves

By COCKSUCKING PIG on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 01:20 am:

marriage is a failed institution. defending marriage, no questions asked, as unassailable and righteous -- is bewildering. pursuing it as some kind of ideal, is only political activism.

today, the "institution" is a political whipping post. why gay couples, or heterosexuals, or bigamists, or anyone else would spin their identity around "marriage" makes no sense. want to make a real statement? do something different. picket for "Gay Marriage," not "Gay People Getting Married by Heterosexual Standards." develop an identity, a Census profile, then call your congressperson. been there? done that? well then you fucked up, because that's the way to do it. today's headlines are just that. headlines. gone in a month, the stuff of old codgers on internet message boards 2 months from now. --.-.why i remember those gay weddings.......-

the mayor of SF said that marriage was a failure. why, then, pursue it, and why in such a theatrical way? why aspire to it? why define yourself or your relationships by church or state definitions?

because the SF weddings are political propoganda (like most civil disobedience). the issue happens to inflame people's sexual and existential ambiguities, which they translate into political activism, because that's the easiest way to get attention and make those headlines.

By dave. on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 01:31 am:

i wholeheartedly agree with the cocksucking pig.

I LOVE COCKSUCKING PIG!

By Spider on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 11:02 am:

I chose self-mutilation off the top of my head. I was going to use bestiality, but I didn't people to think I was equating homosexuality with bestiality, so I tried to think of something else that was abnormal and (to me) wrong. I'm not equating homosexuality with self-mutilation.

Re: Kazu's link. The Church considers impotency due to paralysis to be an impediment to marriage. (Having an impediment does not necessarily mean you are forbidden to marry -- you just need to go to your bishop and request a review and dispensation.) The bishop in the story in Kazu's link must have decided not to grant the dispensation for his own reason (it's at his discretion). As a counter-example, there is a couple in my church in the exact same circumstance -- the man was paralyzed after a fall from a roof and is now in a wheelchair -- and our archbishop must have granted a dispensation because the man and his fiancee still got married in a Catholic ceremony at our church.

I don't feel like going into the details of Church law and why there are impediments, but if you really want to know I can provide some links later.

And just as an end-note, if you're reading this and sensing a bad taste in your mouth at this particular form of marriage (highly regulated), that's fine. This is just one form of marriage and if it doesn't suit you, you don't have to and shouldn't partake in it.

My particular view toward gay marriage is this: I think it should be legal, because the secular authority of the government has no business legislating morality, and there is no other compelling reason why same-sex couples should not be married. (Do any of you watch "Smallville"? I confess I do. Last episode saw Lana snooping through her tenant's apartment and finding a diary recording her actions, and now Lana wants to evict him. Why, because she was meddling in his business and got creeped out? That's not grounds for eviction. For me, same-sex marriage is the same way -- you can't legally forbid it just because it makes you feel squicky.) Private institutions have the right to make their own rules and forbid or allow gay marriage as they choose, but the secular law should allow freedom for all possible choices.

By sarah on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 11:10 am:

did anyone see the movie Intolerable Cruelty?

By semillama on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 11:10 am:

Self-mutilation is actually normal for human societies. Nearly every human society practices self-mutilation in some form or another. If you pierce your ears, that's self-mutilation. Tatoos? self-mutilation. In several tribal societies, self-mutilation is an important part of the rite of passage.

There's many examples of societal-prescribed mutilations as well that don't really fall under the category of self-mutilation, such as circumcision or some of the above-mentioned tribal customs.

I myself have mutilated my body through piercing and tatooing.

By kazu on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 11:28 am:

There is a difference between being creeped out over the consensual, private activities of two adults and (although she shouldn't have been snooping in her tenant's things...that should be illegal) feeling creeped out because someone is recording your actions. What he was doing shouldn't be illegal, but if it made her feel personally unsafe or violated in some way, why should she have to tolerate that? I'm not saying what she did was right and maybe legally she shouldn't be able to evict him, just that there is a HUGE difference between being prejudiced and feeling violated.

Reviews and dispensations? Whatever. The Church can do whatever they want and no law should interfere with that. But that had to be a shitty, shitty experience to feel like the church you'd been devout to your whole life won't recognize your marriage. Especially in his town where (I think) everyone is Catholic and not having their marriage sanctioned by the church would be stigmatizing.

"must have decided not to grant the dispensation for his own reason (it's at his discretion)."

That is just fucked up. I'm sorry, but I don't think any church should put faith over love. I mean we are talking about a couple who, in all other respects, are devout to the Church. I would like to think that God is not so petty as to deny a devout Catholic the ability to have his or her marriage sanctioned in the Church.

Is it because of procreation? So what? They can adopt and "welcome" children into their lives that way. I've been reading my all my brother's pamphlets about being married in the Catholic church (of course this is in Massachusetts and not Brazil) and it seems to me that their rules aren't so rigid they can't be bent a little...I mean, for people who are devout...not just anyone.

By Spider on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 11:30 am:

Whatever! My point, failed or not, remains that you can say something is normal or abnormal and not *necessarily* mean healthy/pure/lovely/sexy/delicious or unhealthy/sick/perverted/debauched/disgusting.

Do you dig? (Yes)

By Harvey Wordman on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 11:47 am:

No. I don't dig.

In most, but by no means all cases saying that something is abnormal is going to have a value based on social and cultural ideals (however, messed up they may or may not be) and I don't believe that you can or should divorce meaning from context and reduce a word like abnormal to some objective, statisical meaning especially if you are talking about something as politically charged as homosexuality or culturally specific as body mutilation.

If you want to frame it as a personal opinion that is fine, but just to assume that saying something IS normal or abnormal and expect it to be understood objectively is just silly.

By Spider on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 11:57 am:

Oops, I was responding to Sem.

Like I said, it was up to the bishop's discretion. If he wanted to be a hardass and not let the couple marry, it was his decision to make. It wasn't the Church, it was the *bishop* who made that decision, that one guy, with his own reasoning. Yes, it sucks.

More than you'll ever want to know about Catholic marriage

More than you'll ever want to know about impediments to Catholic marriage

Pertinent passage:

"Impotency is the state of one who is incapable of normal sexual relations. It is clear that an impotent person cannot validly contract marriage since he is physically incapable of realizing its object [i.e., sexual union and procreation]. For this particular impediment we must refer to the technical treatises on the subject and limit ourselves to some conclusions. The impotency which is a cause of nullity is the incapacity of having conjugal relations (impotentia coeundi), not incapacity of engendering (impotentia generandi), in other words, sterility. [I.e., sterility/infertility is not an impediment to marriage.] No one is presumed impotent once he has reached the legal or real age of puberty; consequently, no one, except eunuchs, can be prevented by authority from marrying (Sixtus V, 27 June, 1587). "

Note the last line. The bishop in Brazil may have taken the paralyzed man as a de facto eunuch and forbidden the marriage. The archbishop of Philadelphia may have decided that my fellow parishioner was not a eunuch to the letter of the law and allowed the marriage.

This is boring.

By Spider on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 12:02 pm:

I'm sorry, analogies aside, aren't we talking about heterosexuality being normal? In what way could it be considered abnormal? I'm stumped.

By Spider on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 12:06 pm:

I'm sorry, I'm being obtuse and arguing semantics now, and I don't want to be. Can I step back and rethink?

By kazu on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 12:11 pm:

Okay, saying The Church, as though the entire institution supported this decision is a problem. However, the fact that a Bishop can take the pralyzed man as a defacto eunuch according to doctrine does implicate the Church. He is supposed to be representing the Church's beliefs so the individual and the institution cannot be completely separated in my mind. Maybe I'm wrong. And it's not just the Church. Take myself, to the extent that I represent feminist scholars as a member of an institutionalized academic discipline, I cannot completely separate myself from everything that Women's Studies does, even the things that I vehemently do not support. That doesn't mean that they have to answer to me or I to them, but as a teacher/researcher, I cannot pretend that the things I do are completely separate if they are in conflict with others. If I needed that, I wouldn't have joined the department.

By kazu on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 12:18 pm:

I just don't think if one wants to make an objective, statistical statement about either heterosexuality or homosexuality that either normal or abnormal is appropriate.

By the way, when I say that individuals are implicted within institutions, I am not saying that there is no room for individual agency or unique perspectives. The relationship between individuals and institutions is not a direct, one creates the other kind of thing. Women's Studies has shaped my perspective, but not determined it. Institutions, whether religious or educational are not monolithic entities, nor do I think they have to be completely coherent. Contradiction and conflict abounds and that is a good thing, so long as that can be somehow negotiated.

By patrick on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 12:26 pm:

ok

*now* this thread is gay.

i wasnt ready to accept dave's proclamation yesterday, but now im there.

to the pig, the cocksucking pig.

"why, then, pursue it, and why in such a theatrical way? why aspire to it? why define yourself or your relationships by church or state definitions?"

when you consider the American audience, understanding why its necessary to make an otherwise trivial stink over what should be a trivial matter is easy.

By Spider on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 12:48 pm:

You're right, Kazu. But maybe he really thought he was doing a good job, or something -- everyone screws up, and it sucks when the screw-up so profoundly affects people's lives.

And Patrick, and Dave, is/are right, too. Let's change the subject.

By kazu on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 01:17 pm:

okay, let's talk about what a suckersnobdork I am.

I call this *The Curse of the Jasmine Pearl*

I spent $27.00 on a can of Imperial Republic (from Imperial Tea Court and The Republic of Tea). Jasmine Pearls. Top Grade, Limited Production Green Tea. I wasn't going to spend that much. But I looked at the can, and decided that I MUST have it when I read:

ONE OF ONLY 1000 TINS PRODUCED

I'm such a sucker. I'm also a dork as I also purchased a box of Choice Organic Free Trade Certified for "everyday" drinking

I first encountered Jasmine Pearls at San Francisco coffee house. Seven little handrolled leaf and bud sets infused with the scent of sweet jasmine flowers. I sat and watched them slowly come unrolled, like hatching sea monkeys, but not as terrifying.

It was simply lovely. Utterly perfect. I went back recently for another cup only to discover that, due its high cost, they are unable to purchase anymore. The assured me that the jasmine they gave me was just as good, but "not as much fun." (It wasn't quite as good, but it was fine.)

By dave. on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 01:26 pm:

i'm never right.

whenever i say something like that, i think of nomeansno. kazu, the part in "i am wrong" where it goes:

"step into my parlor said the spider to the fly. and we could share a love that will never die. die! die! DIE!!!"

does that give you goosebumps? i still get goosebumps. cheesy words but the delivery is fuckin intense. i love that whole song with the dirge melody and the off-key harmonizing. it's just so sinister and powerful.

to me.

By kazu on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 01:33 pm:

yeah. that song is intense. that whole album (except for a few songs) makes me want to kick ass.

By Antigone on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 02:15 pm:

This thread is gay, but like all sorabji threads it can and will procreate.

Thus, by conservative standards it can get married.

Contradiction, q.e.d.

By Spider on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 02:51 pm:

I've just recently discovered the delight that is jasmine tea. Though I'm still kicking myself for spending $12 for white tea that I don't drink, so I don't think I'll be looking for the majestic rare jasmine pearls (though they sound neat).

I had some nice jasmine couscous a little while ago at this new-ish restaurant in my home town. The menu is strangely eclectic but leans toward the Middle Eastern.

Oh my God, I have to share this. I did a Google search on that restaurant's name to see if their menu is online, and this is the only hit I got:

WEST CHESTER, PA-September 27, 2003 — West Chester police are looking for several people who shot a crossbow arrow into a man.

The arrow struck Benito Vargas in the abdomen early Sunday morning, as he walked home from work on High Street.

He survived but has a scar where he was hit.

Police say his attackers drove up along side him in a white SUV. Vargas says he doesn't know his attackers and police fear – since being shot by an arrow doesn't make a noise – that there may be no witnesses.

Anyone with information is being urged to call West Chester police. The Turk's Head restaurant, where the victim works, is offering a $500 reward for someone who leads police to those responsible.

Weird!

By dave. on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 02:55 pm:

are those pearls the little leaf balls that you drop into water and it turns to tea?

By kazu on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 02:57 pm:

yes.

By dave. on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 02:58 pm:

those are cool.

By kazu on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 03:00 pm:

Spider, Numi makes a really good Jasmine tea. It's
    called Monkey King and it's not that expensive.

By Antigone on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 03:48 pm:

And, on top of that, you'll be able to say, "Don't bother me, I'm drinking my monkey!"

By dave. on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 04:17 pm:

oops. sorry, kazu. i somehow totally missed your story when i asked that question.

duh.

By semillama on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 05:15 pm:

How can several people shoot one crossbow bolt?

By Antigone on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 05:24 pm:

Shut up and masturbate!

By semillama on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 05:51 pm:

Shut up when you're speaking to me!

By kazu on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 05:54 pm:

I WAS GOING TO SAY THAT YOU COPIED ME!!!

By semillama on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 05:57 pm:

you snooze you lose!

By spunky on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 07:28 pm:

Ummmmmmmmm

Just thought I would let you know,
    that homosexuality is one of the "western culture exports" that fundamentalist islamics decry

"Homosexuality in the Qur'an
    The Abdullah Yusuf Ali translation of the Qur'an states: "We also sent Lut: He said to his people: Do ye commit lewdness such as no people in creation (ever) committed before you? For ye practice your lusts on men in preference to women: ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds." (Qur'an 7:80-81)

"Of all creatures in the world, will ye approach males, and leave those whom Allah has created for you to be your mates? Nay, ye are a people transgressing (all limits)!" (Qur'an 26:165)

Also see Al-Shu'ara' (starting at 165) :

Of all the creatures in the world, will ye approach males, And leave those whom Allah has created for you to be your mates? Nay, ye are a people transgressing (all limits)! They said: "If thou desist not, O Lut! thou wilt assuredly be cast out!" He said: "I do detest your doings:" "O my Lord! deliver me and my family from such things as they do!" So We delivered him and his family,- all Except an old woman who lingered behind. But the rest We destroyed utterly. We rained down on them a shower (of brimstone): and evil was the shower on those who were admonished (but heeded not)! Verily in this is a Sign: but most of them do not believe. And verily thy Lord is He, the Exalted in Might, Most Merciful.
    AL-NAML (starting at 55):

Would ye really approach men in your lusts rather than women? Nay, ye are a people (grossly) ignorant! But his people gave no other answer but this: They said, "Drive out the followers of Lut from your city: these are indeed men who want to be clean and pure!" But We saved him and his family, except his wife; her We destined to be of those who lagged behind. And We rained down on them a shower (of brimstone): and evil was the shower on those who were admonished (but heeded not)! "

How's THAT for "tollerance"?

By Antigone on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 07:34 pm:

You mean "tolerance", sppunkky?

And, you're saying that fundamentalist Islam is similar to the American Christian Right?

Really?

By patrick on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 07:39 pm:

actually, what the fuck is your point spunk?

By Rowlfe on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 07:53 pm:

yeah, I was thinking that myself?

Is it supposed to confuse us because he thinks we all love bin Laden or something?

"well, massa Osama says gays are bad, so I change my mind about gay marriage!"

By Rowlfe on Friday, February 20, 2004 - 08:06 pm:

By spunky on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 01:38 am:

"And, you're saying that fundamentalist Islam is similar to the American Christian Right?

Really?"

Um, if you think that, then please tell me the last time someone was executed by christians for being gay?

I understand it is posh right now to bash christianity, but islam is off limits, but I thought you knew better then that.

Obviously I was wrong.

The point is right there at the tip of your nose.
    I know you blame the US's foriegn policy for all that is wrong in the world, but I hate to tell you that you are wrong.

By dave. on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 02:01 am:

"Um, if you think that, then please tell me the last time someone was executed by christians for being gay?"

matthew shepard?

who said islam is off limits? the hell it is.

keep it up, spunky. don't give up now. the closing of your mind is nearly complete.

By Rowlfe on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 09:47 am:

"who said islam is off limits? the hell it is. "

I see. Since some people raise questions like 'what did they ever do to us?' or 'this war is racist'....

some people jump ahead to a 'they just are protecting islam because they're bleeding hearts who'll protect anyone damn ACLU damn them damn them'

as if we are actually overlooking the way they treat women, saying 'oh thats islam how dare you attack islam'.

We're not. I probably think less of Islam than I do Christianity, and I take shots at Christianity all the time. Theres a difference between going after Islam as a religion and going after Arab peoples. When I see Mr. Show doing their sketch about birkas thats one thing. When I hear some shock jock on the radio say 'sand nigger' during the march to war, thats another. The only time I care to defend Islam at all, is when I see or hear things from pundits or even Bush himself that make the war sound like its Christianity vs. Islam. My defence for Islam is very basic, that it shouldnt be about that and the US should NOT be invoking God when taking about the war on terror. And thats not even a defence of Islam, its me saying "Uh, maybe you shouldnt trash or go on a crusade against Islam if you don't know anything about it"

And if theres any religion right now its not OK to pick on, its Judaism. Its everywhere. If you criticize Israeli foreign policy you're an anti-semite. if you go to see 'the passion' you're an anti-semite. when FOX news reports about evidence that Israel had information about attacks before 9/11, the ADL threatens them and the series of reports gets taken off the air...

Judaism doesnt really get made fun of except for base level things, like bagels, noses, last names, neurotic stammering, being from New York, and that rabbis look funny. Real "Carolines Comedy Hour" shit. of course not all Jewish people are this reactionary about their religion, but there are a lot of people in the ADL that cant seperate the difference between what a Jewish person does and what a Jewish person is.

Oh, and the other reason that we arent attacking Islam's view on gay people in this thread, is because its not relevant. The lawmakers in the US and Canada (even the "liberals") are mostly Christians and it is their ideas that are holding gay people down. When Muslim spreads over the nation and theres a Muslim man in the White House ready to sign a constitutional amendment banning it, then we'll get started on that attack on Islam. Kay? Kay.

By TBone on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 02:06 pm:

Spunk was just trying to change the subject into "you guys are hypocrites!" again.

By dave. on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 03:23 pm:

he's just mimicking his heros, except he's not as good at it as they are. they take anything even remotely attributable to liberals, attach to it a seemingly relevant, but fallacious argument, and then use that argument to launch into the standard rant against all things liberal. when they're done, the audience comes away with the impression that their man won the argument again when, in reality, the original point was abandoned long ago.

it goes something like this:

-liberal makes a statement, "damn, it's warm out today."

-conservative host repeats the statement and concludes that this is another liberal complaining about global warming, refutes it by rattling off a couple cherry-picked statements by reputable experts, and then launches into a canned tirade against liberalism in general (hate america first, etc. . .) and closes with another declaration against liberals and their global warming. when he opens the lines to the callers, they obligingly thank and praise his brilliant analysis and, forgetting that the original statement lacked any reference to global warming, deride liberals for always bringing up stuff like global warming. in the audience's mind, the fella who remarked about how warm it is now hates god and america.

spunky's sub-consciousness understands the formula, but his consciousness hasn't yet grasped it. he doesn't know he's doing it, therefore he does it poorly.

By jack on Saturday, February 21, 2004 - 09:39 pm:

what i find interesting/weird/sad is how someone can seemingly enjoy "debate" and "discussion" so much and utterly fail, for years, to ever improve (or show any interest in improving) their rhetorical and logical skills (i.e., the skills that debate and discussion require).

if cutting and pasting, parroting, and taking issue with statements and positions that have not been advanced are sufficiently satisfying on a consistent basis, it's clear that the point is emotional expression and some attempt at establishing a personal identity through association.

bravo.

By dave. on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 01:58 am:

i wonder if eri votes democrat. . .

By dave. on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 06:17 am:

actually, i don't really care. they're not in a swing state, i'm not in a swing state . . . fuckit. makes no difference.

By dave. on Sunday, February 22, 2004 - 05:16 pm:

By patrick on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 01:24 pm:

despite dave's road map i still have no clue what spunk's original point was.

in fact i now wonder if he ever knew what the correlation was between what some Islamic clerics think about homosexuality and US civil rights regarding marriage and unions for homosexuals.

what was your point spunk?

and please, pay no mind to rowlf's specualtion as to your point as that only confused you.

By The Watcher on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 02:30 pm:

I'm to sick to get into this one.

My mind isn't working on all cylinders right now.

The problem with these arguments, discussions, rants, raves is that thie liberal mind set does not want any kind of exclusivity - except the ones they define as ok. And, the conservitively minded arguments seem to have forgotten the most basic of facts - exclusivity is a natural trait.

My minds gone fuzzy again. I will be back later.

I need a nap. But, I won't get one.

By semillama on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 02:49 pm:

Yeah, I agree your mind has gone fuzzy, because you didn't make a lick of sense there.

By wisper on Monday, February 23, 2004 - 04:51 pm:

*ding*!

By The Watcher on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 03:02 pm:

True true.

I really should stay out of these things when I'm overly medicated. Especially when I'm half dead at the same time.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 07:02 pm:

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, February 24, 2004 - 10:19 pm:

Rowlfe presents:

QUOTE GOLD!

"This is a tough one, Bernie. The fact of the matter is, we live in a free society and freedom means freedom for everybody. We don't get to choose, and shouldn't be able to choose, and say, "You get to live free, but you don't."

And I think that means that people should be free to enter into any kind of relationship they want to enter into. It's really no one else's business in terms of trying to regulate or prohibit behavior in that regard.

The next step then, of course, is the question you asked of whether or not there ought to be some kind of official sanction, if you will, of the relationship or if these relationships should be treated the same way a conventional marriage is. That's a tougher problem. That's not a slam dunk.

I think the fact of the matter, of course, is that matter is regulated by the states. I think different states are likely to come to different conclusions and that's appropriate. I don't think there should necessarily be a federal policy in this area.

I try to be open-minded about it as much as I can and tolerant of those relationships.

And like Joe, I also wrestle with the extent to which there ought to be legal sanction of those relationships. I think we ought to do everything we can to tolerate and accommodate whatever kind of relationships people want to enter into. "

Dick Cheney at the VP debate, 2000

Absolute gold. Pure gold.

By patrick on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 02:38 pm:

daddy doesnt want to be disowned by dyking daughter.

By wisper on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 06:12 pm:

John Stewart said (something like):
    And of course this is all just an elaborate plan so that Dick Cheney doesn't have to pay for his gay daughters wedding.

By Rowlfe on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 05:59 pm:

By patrick on Friday, February 27, 2004 - 06:07 pm:

like John Stewart said last night "activist court" = court who's ruling differs from Administration policy.

such bullshit.

By semillama on Monday, March 1, 2004 - 10:32 am:

Bill O'Reilly said that since one of the judges that is reviewing the civil case brought to stop the issuing of licences to gay couples is a homosexual, he should recuse himself because of a conflict of interest.

Isn't that the biggest bullshit statement you've heard?

well, maybe a Christian judge would have a conflict of interest because they think gays are going to hell. recuse!

Meanwhile he is silent on Scalia's habit of going hunting with the people whose cases he is going to sit on in court.

By Rowlfe on Monday, March 1, 2004 - 11:04 am:

...and saw no conflict of interest in Bush v. Gore either.

By Antigone on Tuesday, March 2, 2004 - 07:16 pm:

Cheney's not flip flopping now, is he?

No! Can't be! Republicans never change their mind.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, March 2, 2004 - 11:10 pm:

family values, Bible style

Deuteronomy 21 :: King James Version (KJV):

10 When thou goest forth to war against thine enemies, and the LORD thy God hath delivered them into thine hands, and thou hast taken them captive,
    11 And seest among the captives a beautiful woman, and hast a desire unto her, that thou wouldest have her to thy wife;
    12 Then thou shalt bring her home to thine house, and she shall shave her head, and pare her nails;
    13 And she shall put the raiment of her captivity from off her, and shall remain in thine house, and bewail her father and her mother a full month: and after that thou shalt go in unto her, and be her husband, and she shall be thy wife.
    14 And it shall be, if thou have no delight in her, then thou shalt let her go whither she will; but thou shalt not sell her at all for money, thou shalt not make merchandise of her, because thou hast humbled her.

Genesis 19: 4 - 8

4 Before they lay down, the men of the city, the men of Sodom, surrounded the house, both young and old, all the people from every quarter; 5 and they called to Lot and said to him, " Where are the men who came to you tonight? Bring them out to us that we may have relations with them." 6 But Lot went out to them at the doorway, and shut the door behind him, 7 and said, "Please, my brothers, do not act wickedly. 8 "Now behold, I have two daughters who have not had relations with man; please let me bring them out to you, and do to them whatever you like; only do nothing to these men, inasmuch as they have come under the shelter of my roof."

By Rowlfe on Wednesday, March 3, 2004 - 06:26 pm:

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact