who are you? - a true fan

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: who are you? - a true fan
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By wisper on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 04:38 pm:

we saw Mike Doughty play in a small club last night.
    (lead singer of soul coughing?)
    (wisper's almost favorite musician person?)

He was radiant and witty.

Anyway, afterwards he was selling his new EP and chatting to people. I was like a teen girl at a Beatles show, circa 1965. But i managed to pull it together for this:

me- "...Doughty?"

doughty- "Hey, what can i do for you?"

m- "I already bought your EP off the website, but by the time i ordered it, the album (Skittish) was out of print."

d- "uh-huh.."

m- "So i had to download it all off Kazaa instead. And i feel really bad about it, so i figured i'd just give you the money for it."

**i hand him a $20**

d- "...you're just giving me this? You don't want anything back?"

m- "No, i got Skitish for free, so i want you to have it. It's really great."

d- "Well... thank you, thanks so much. Let me at least sign your ticket." and he does.

* guy standing beside me: "that is a TRUE FAN!" *

d- "You're right, man. That is. That really is a true fan."

*Doughty shakes my hand and looks very shocked and humbled. I run off because i'm blushing too hard to maintain my dignity.*

By patrick on Monday, March 8, 2004 - 05:13 pm:

ticket stub?

a true fan has her tits autographed.

By wisper on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 11:09 am:

i hugged him. He had no smell. He signed my purse.

i hugged him, oh my god, oh my GOD.
    my heart was beating so fast Rowlfe thought for sure i would have a heart attack.

By Gee on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 10:03 am:

aww. you're the cutest.

By jinx on Thursday, June 2, 2005 - 08:13 am:

he's going to be playing on Air America tomorrow on
    Morning Sedition.

By wisper on Thursday, June 2, 2005 - 01:43 pm:

Merci!
    We told him that we listened to him last time he was on that.
    He said "Where the fuck do you get Air America in Canada?"
    We said their website.
    He said "heh. Oh."

:)

By Nate on Thursday, June 2, 2005 - 09:13 pm:

from his website:

"Amnesty for File-Sharers and Downloaders:
    I forgive you! But what say you donate $20, or $10, or $5, or $1,000, or whatever, to MAP?"

i went to his website because i have no idea who the hell he is.

By wisper on Thursday, June 2, 2005 - 10:47 pm:

He just recently added the donation thingy.

Nate has never heard Soul Coughing
    this makes me sad.

By kazu on Thursday, June 2, 2005 - 10:54 pm:

i've heard soul coughing long time ago. i had a crush on
    a hot skater woman who was in a lot of my classes and
    she listened to them.

She also read elf quest, which I've never read.

sem reads elf quest and has all of them in his messy
    manroom.

i still haven't read it.

By Dougie on Thursday, June 2, 2005 - 11:16 pm:

I've never heard of him either. Funniest bandnames I've heard recently: "The Dayglo Abortions" and "Millions of Dead Cops".

By droopy on Thursday, June 2, 2005 - 11:24 pm:

anybody see "death from above 1979" last night on conan o'brien? they're canadians - from toronto, i think. just bass and drums. it's about time they got rid of those useless guitar players.

By dave. on Thursday, June 2, 2005 - 11:43 pm:

"Millions of Dead Cops".

mdc, aka millions of dead christians, aka multi-death corporation

back in the day, these guys were lumped in with bands like crass, who were these totally political anarchists and malcontents who probably played a big role inspiring the origins of groups like the animal liberation front as well as the black bloc anarchists, who fucked over the seattle wto demonstrators by instigating planned chaos and pushing the cops into riot control mode.

i saw mdc play about 10 or so years ago, which was about 8 years past their heyday, and they were just a bunch of happy old punkers playing simple, 3 chord pop punk a la the descendents.

it was cute.

By TBone on Thursday, June 2, 2005 - 11:49 pm:

My friend -- the artist for that comic that I made the site for -- really likes DFA1979.
    I like Soul Coughing, I think.
    I've never read Elf Quest, but I think I've read some Shanarra books or something.

I'm in bed.

By Rowlfe on Friday, June 3, 2005 - 01:25 am:

that was possum when Max Weinberg took over DFA1979's drums mid song

By droopy on Friday, June 3, 2005 - 01:55 am:

possum as an adjective. i don't know why i've never heard that before. i have a real possum skull perched over my business desk that watches over me as i pay my bills and shit. found it while i was cleaning out an old garage, and i knew it would be my friend. it needs a name. what's a good name for a dead possum?

and max was possum. especially when he had trouble with his jacket.

By Cat on Friday, June 3, 2005 - 05:14 am:

Davey.

By Cat on Friday, June 3, 2005 - 05:16 am:

I got your possum right here! :leer:

By Nate on Friday, June 3, 2005 - 09:46 am:

call him sleepy.

i have a possum skull i found in 7th grade camp. it was a theme camp; we all pretended to be pirates and slept out under the stars in the woods near occidental. it was complete when i found it, skull and jaw. i'd talk to it and it would talk back.

i didn't really make friends easily back then. my only friend in pirate camp was the one black kid.

one morning i woke up and the jaw was gone. apparently a talking possum skull was a little too freaky for the other kids.

i still have the skull. i painted it black and patterned it with thin red and metallic blue lines sometime in highschool.

By Nate on Friday, June 3, 2005 - 09:47 am:

i've heard of soul coughing. i've heard of mdc.

i'm just not good at hearing new music. new as in previously unheard by me.

By droopy on Friday, June 3, 2005 - 11:12 am:

"davey" would be too much like "davey and goliath". i'd keep hearing that dog's voice in my head.

mmmm. australian possum.

when i was a kid i talked to trolls. when i was a kid in the 70's there was a little shop - what might now be a goth shop, if you can be a goth shop in a sleepy little seaside town in rhode island - that sold these things. it was called "the flaming cauldron". back in the day there were'nt theme trolls and they didn't dye the straw or anything. anyway, i'd save my allowance money and buy the damn things. soon each one had a distinct voice and personality. i'd talk to them while my parents were going through their divorce. and i talked to them while going through the culture shock of moving from rhode island to texas when i was 12.

i think i sold 'em all off or gave 'em away, except for one.

i was surprised to find them online. they're going to open up a 12-step program coffee shop next door my shop. i think i'll start selling trolls. troubled people like trolls.

By Wisper on Friday, June 3, 2005 - 09:12 pm:

for those who haven't heard Soul Coughing, i suggest (in this order)-

Mr. Bitternees
    Super Bon Bon
    White Girl
    Screenwriter's Blues
    Soft Serve
    Janine
    Monster Man
    St. Louise Is Listening
    So Far I Have Not Found the Science

and then Mike Doughty's-
    American Car
    Thank You Lord For Sending Me the F Train
    The Only Answer
    Sunken-Eyed Girl
    Looking at the World from the Bottom of a Well

wheeeeee

By patrick on Thursday, June 9, 2005 - 02:41 pm:

heh. dougie bringing the ole school. dave, you being a few ahead of me...i never got an chance to see most of those bands. 7 Seconds was only the really decent band of era that i saw, and even then, they were watered down. i saw a kid on hollywood blvd recently with either a crass or rudimentary peni shirt on, i cant remember which, and I made a comment as to his cred. better than the headshop/Hot Topic staple Exploited or GBH.
    Of all of that stuff, especially the british contigent, subhumans were by far the most influential to me. i didnt care for the delivery of crass or rudimentary peni.

By heather on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 01:26 am:

i've not heard of...

call me sleepy

wait. no. don't call me anything. and don't call me.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact