They're here... It's Cicada time again!!!

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: They're here... It's Cicada time again!!!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By The Watcher on Wednesday, June 2, 2004 - 04:12 pm:

By semillama on Wednesday, June 2, 2004 - 04:35 pm:

I live in Ohio. We have plenty.

If they are near you, go out to a park and experience it, if you haven't. It's kind of majestic.

For the first five minutes.

Then it gets damn annoying.

By Kalli on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 12:55 am:

Unbelievably jealous and then not at the same time.

I *hate* huge flying bugs. June bugs even (although I
    know they're harmless) make me wanna just pee
    myself in total fright. The cicadas though...as much as
    I'm certain the minute I saw one within 5 feet of me, I'd
    run screaming like a 3 year old, fascinate me.

17 years underground just to live and mate for a year...

It's amazing really.

By patrick on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 01:08 pm:

i just wanna hear the sound. supposedly its near deafening.

i sometimes miss the sounds of the east and south...at night, in the summer, maybe after a rain. its moist and all the bugs chirp. its not like that here.

By Kalli on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 01:46 pm:

Yea but then the humidity rises and you can't breathe without sweating. You end up peeing sweet tea all summer long.

I think it'd be worth giving up the chirps for that.

By patrick on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 01:48 pm:

shit.

i miss sweet tea.

my brother came here. poor boy. never been further than a 400 mile radius of Atlanta. He came here. At a restaurant, ordered 'sweet tea'. They just looked at him. I had to explain that its just tea here, and there is sugar on the table.

By The Watcher on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 02:07 pm:

I've never heard the expression "sweet tea" before. It must be a regional thing.

The sound is definately something. Off in the distance it is quite neat. But, when one buzzes by your ear and lets loose...it's down right painful.

I remember the first time I ever experienced these things, they were everywhere. You couldn't walk anywhere without stepping on them.

They don't seem to be quite that plentiful this time around. Thank god. But, they are still all over the place.

By Kalli on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 02:10 pm:

Sweet tea is just that. Tea boggled down with a whole bunch (and I mean a WHOLE bunch) of sugar. When I first moved to the south it took me awhile to adjust. I'd order tea and get asked "sweet or unsweet darlin?"

You learn to love the sweet.

Except when it's the only thing that keeps you from melting into a lumpy pile on the living room floor in about, oh mid-august.

By Gee on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 02:20 pm:

ick. bugs.

By kazu on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 02:31 pm:

I love sweet tea when I'm stoned. And you can't just put sugar in plain tea because it doesn't melt and get all concentrated 'n shit.

Cicadas are good fried.

By Sye on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 02:41 pm:

mmmmmm..... sweet tea... (when I drool, I make Homer look like an amateur)

Growing up in Texas my entire life, there is a mixture of places that serve "tea" and those that serve "sweet or unsweet." I think I get the best of both worlds.

As far as cicadas go(some people call them locusts around here), in the deep summertime, you can find parking lots full of them in the middle of the night. I was driving around with the windows down last summer and stopped at 7-11 to get some cigs and I think I left with half the lot in my car! Needless to say, I roll up my windows before I pull in now. (Shuddering when I think back)

Did anybody else play with their shells after they were shed when they were little?

By kazu on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 02:44 pm:

also chocolate covered...mmmmm

By The Watcher on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 02:55 pm:

Yuck!!!

By Kalli on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 02:57 pm:

i've licked a grasshopper lollipop before...

oooh. do they crunch?

By kazu on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 05:01 pm:

sometimes. depends on how they are prepared.

By kazu on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 05:12 pm:

JAMES R. was admitted to the City Hospital, Wilmington, N C., April 7, 1871, suffering from a recent amputation of left thigh at middle third. The wound was in a gangrenous state, very offensive, and filled with worms. After thoroughly cleansing it, and injecting chloroform to destroy the worms, it was dressed with stimulating applications, and the patient, under a generous diet, perceptibly improved until the morning of the 17th, when fever ensued, with unmistakable symptoms of tetanus, and, after a short time, opisthotonos

By wisper on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 07:22 pm:

"sweet tea" - so are we talking about iced tea or regular hot teapot tea here?

By patrick on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 07:29 pm:

iced tea. as someone else mentioned, you add the assloads of sugar when you brew it so the sugar melts. the sugar post cooling doesnt work, unless you get that liquid sugar they have at coffee shops

By eri on Thursday, June 3, 2004 - 09:06 pm:

Sugar post brewing doesn't work on sweet tea. Gotta melt the sugar while the tea is hot.

As far as cicadas go.....lame ass story.

I had never heard of them before. When I moved to Misery (for those of you who don't know Missouri), my best friend (from high school) and I were laying in my apartment (in my parents basement) and we were hearing this crazy LOUD ASSED noise. We heard this squeaking noise, and this squaking noise, and we thought my parents bed needed some serious oiling. We were yelling at the top of our lungs through the vents (and the noise definately carried cuz we could clearly understand their wispers) for them to finish up already and get the fuck out of bed, cuz we didn't want to know about it.

Turned out the noise was the cicadas. Sounds like really fucking loud, badly oiled hinges of doors or beds or something.

OK, I have shared my lame assed story now.

By wisper on Friday, June 4, 2004 - 01:29 am:

good story!

so do they call it iced tea too, or is that different, or just a different term?

i just started making my own iced tea at home, realizing how cheap it is and I'm an idiot for buying it all this time.
    But it's always kinda bitter. Perhaps you southern folk can help me out.
    I take 8 cups of water and bring it to a boil, then take it off the heat and let 3 teabags steep in it for an hour. Then i put 3/4 cup of sugar in a pitcher and take the teabags out, pour the (still warm) tea/water into the pitcher, stir, and let it sit till it gets to room temperature. Then put in the fridge. I also add a little lemon juice.

But it's pretty bitter and cloudy! I still drink it though, cuz i'm cheap.

By patrick on Friday, June 4, 2004 - 02:32 am:

cloudy?

By dave. on Friday, June 4, 2004 - 03:23 am:

i think the cicada brood thing is fascinating. i hear the rotting carcasses smell pretty nasty, too. that's so cool.

brood x don't give a fuck about the hominids.

By heather on Friday, June 4, 2004 - 03:47 am:

you might be steepiing too long, wisper

By Sye on Friday, June 4, 2004 - 12:25 pm:

Am I the only bad Southerner who makes my tea through my coffee pot?

By patrick on Friday, June 4, 2004 - 12:51 pm:

im not sure why thats bad.

i make sun tea. a glass, one gallon jug. insert 4 bags. water. place in direct sun all day. by supper time. its done.

By kazu on Friday, June 4, 2004 - 01:21 pm:

tea through the coffee pot?

that is wrong on so many levels, tho' ah w'd speck as much fum an assbackwards southerner. unless you are talking about the hot tea that is the precursor to iced tea, then I guess it's not so bad.

the sun tea method is probably the best way to make regular iced tea in large quantities that tastes the best.

my favorite, as I know I have mentioned elsewhere around here is jasmine lime iced tea. make some limeade, make some jasmine green tea, chill both, put it in the same glass, mix lightly, throw in some ice. yum!

By The Watcher on Friday, June 4, 2004 - 05:18 pm:

You're definately steeping the tea to long. Way to long.

It should not be steeped longer than about three minutes. And, you need one or two more tea bags.

Sun tea is different though. Since, it is made without actually "cooking" the tea, the bags can stay there for a long time.

By wisper on Friday, June 4, 2004 - 06:01 pm:

hmmmmmmm

By kazu on Saturday, June 5, 2004 - 01:59 pm:

You can steep the tea up to five minutes, and yes, use more tea bags. The tea should be about double the strength of a cup of hot tea since the ice will dilute it.

By kazu on Saturday, June 5, 2004 - 02:05 pm:

the last time I made sweet tea, I used about 2 tea bags per cup of boiling water, so about 10 bags. I also put the sugar in before the tea, this melts it all the way. If it's too strong you can dilute it later, but if it's bitter, there isn't much you can do to save it aside from serving it to someone with a cold or who otherwise has no sense of smell/taste.

oh, and never boil the water if you're making a green tea based ice tea, like the jasmine lime kind.

By eri on Saturday, June 5, 2004 - 04:21 pm:

I always used 5 bags per half gallon, steeped it for 15 minutes and then when it was cooled off diluted it with a half gallon of cold water and that always worked for me. But that's just me.

By wisper on Sunday, June 6, 2004 - 04:51 pm:

too much choice!!

you will all have to mail me a sample, in a small thermos, and i will decide who's iced tea is the Best of the Board.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact