has it been 20 fucking years?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: has it been 20 fucking years?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By droopy on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 12:58 am:

my 20-year high school reunion is next week, i think.

i wouldn't know about this at all if it weren't for an article in the fort worth star-telegram about "the legion of doom". i don't get the star-telegram (i just take the dallas paper that comes to the vacant apartment next to mine), but somebody told me about it.

"the legion of doom" was a vigilante group made up of some of the most popular guys at school. it was moderately big news back in '85. it managed to get an article in "rolling stone" and a made-for-tv movie staring kiefer(sp?) sutherland and keanu reeves called "brotherhood of justice".

all these guys - more or less led by the official bmoc - took it upon themselves to "clean up the school" - harass or attack anybody giving the school a bad name.

one guy, who i knew fairly well, went out to his car one morning and found a dead, gutted cat draped over his steering well. another one, who i didn't really know till years later when i was in a band with his cousin, had his car blown up with a pipe bomb. i think their crimes were drug dealing and stealing, respectively. i'm positive the first was true, the second i don't know.

i think they left a note or something signed "legion of doom", that's how they got the name.

all the guys in the legion were caught and arrested before the school year ended. i remember news crews at the high school, classmates of mine on the 10 o'clock news saying "well, i think they were morally right; i just think they made the wrong choices."

the trial went on for a long time, as trials do, and it was still going on when i snapped my spine and went into rehab. so i lost track. but i assume the rich boys just got probation.

the article in the paper (yesterday's...the sunday paper) was sort of a 'where are they now?' thing. one's a business man in dallas, another a lawyer, another an electrical contractor. only one of them, the lawyer, would talk to the paper. i was told he said lots of contrite things and about learning from mistakes. his name was the only one i had absolutely no memory of. i never bought yearbooks when i was in high school, so lots of details of high school are murky.

but they all made good. back in '85 my friends and i, who called these guys "the hitler youth", used to say, "you watch, one of these guys will become president."

another thing i remember about that time is how all the media coverage changed my perception of the media. something i had kind of forgotten. everything seemed unreal. with each telling it got farther from what actually happened. i remember thinking, at 17, that the "rolling stone" article sounded adolescent. i never saw the movie, but i know it was only loosely based on "the legion".

i hear none of the "legion" guys are going to the reunion.

and, of course, i never planned to go.

i bet it'll be boring.

By wisper on Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 05:35 pm:

that's an amazing story.

By Cat on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 03:49 am:

"Legion of doom" is a very gay name.

By Brainiac on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 04:03 am:

Well, what the fuck!

By Solomon Grundy on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 04:03 am:

Aaaaarr!

By Lex Luthor on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 04:04 am:

Please excuse my pasty white friend...

By Captain Cold on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 04:07 am:

Is it...getting a little hot in here?

By Cheetah on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 04:18 am:

Shut the fuck up, you washed up B level super villian.

By Sinestro on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 04:20 am:

Watch out or I'll buttfuck the both of you with a yellow baseball bat.

By Giganta on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 04:20 am:

Me! Me too!

By The Toyman on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 04:21 am:

I have some toys I could offer...

By Scarecrow on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 04:22 am:

And I've already got a pole up my ass, so count me out.

By droopy on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 01:47 pm:

amazing how, wisper? probably that there was a time that the worst thing high school students could think to do to each other is blow up a riderless car and kill a cat.

By droopy on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 01:49 pm:

and i had forgotten where the name came from - the cartoon/comic book. thanks, tiggy.

By The Riddler on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 06:13 pm:

I'm confused. Who is this "tiggy"?

By BIZARRO on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 06:15 pm:

HE DROOPY"S LESBO LUUVER, HEHEHE! HE!

By Black Manta on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 06:16 pm:

Fuck.

Pass me the lube...and a halibut.

By droopy on Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 08:33 pm:

actually, antigone *is* my gay lover.

but i THOUGHT we weren't going to say anything until after the civil union.

sometimes he's premature, but he's still my superhero in bed.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact