baseball

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: baseball
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Tuesday, October 4, 2005 - 05:42 pm:

So.

I'm a Giants fan. I have an intrinsic hatred of the Dodgers, obviously, and, like all other worthwhile Americans, I dispise the Yanks.

But then, 2002 gave me a serious reason to dislike the Angels.

But I have to root for the Angels. Cheering the Yankees doesn't even pop into my head. The options are basically root for the Angels or ignore the series.

Maybe I'll ignore the series. Then I can root whatever colored Sox when the time comes.

I'm leaning towards White. I had a brief anti-Boston phase, but I'm over it. They're a scrappy bunch, fun to watch, and they shamed the Yanks about as badly as shamed can be.

That, and my hatred of the Pats is more than sufficient as a drama-catalyst with my MIT friends.

But I'm leaning towarsds the White Sox. I'm a big fan of the brazen Ozzie. And, fickle, my polack roots root for Pierzynski. I liked him as a Giant even though everyone else thought he was a "cancer". (He nailed a three-run knock in the first today. Further proof that nothing improves your game like being traded away from the Giants.)

So, I guess I'm thinking White Sox and the Angels with the White Sox going to meet the NL.

It's wishful thinking, I know. Maybe it would be better for the Yanks to get lucky against the Angels and then choke against whichever Sox.

To have the Red Sox beat them would have a certain enjoyability. To have the Yanks beat the Red Sox would be a horrible, horrible thing.

Then, the National League. My dad has always been a Cards man. My mom says it is because he like the color red, but that can't be the whole story.

I think the Cards will do the Friars in three.

I think Houston has the edge, but it will take five games.

Then, the Cards take the NL.

And then, I imagine, the Cards beating the White Sox.

And then we're on to basketball.

By semillama on Tuesday, October 4, 2005 - 05:50 pm:

Hockey starts tomorrow...

(crickets)

By Nate on Tuesday, October 4, 2005 - 07:57 pm:

And hey, wrestling is year 'round.

14-2 White Sox. That's the kind of shaming that could really fire up Boston.

By Rowlfe on Tuesday, October 4, 2005 - 11:19 pm:

i was excited about the World Series last year, but I worked somewhere where there was a TV. this year I dont think I'm going to care

By patrick on Wednesday, October 5, 2005 - 02:38 pm:

fuckin A.

hockey is back.

kings have the best team on ice since gretzky.

now i just need to find room in my budget for cable so i can watch a fucking game.

By Dougie on Wednesday, October 5, 2005 - 02:57 pm:

5 Things That Annoy Me About the Yankees (even though I still like them, worthless American that I am):

1) Derek Jeter's watching the ball all the way into the catcher's mitt, even though he has no intention of ever swinging at it

2) Mike Mussina

3) Mike Mussina's stretch windup

4) Joe Torre's use of Al Leiter as a reliever (or even using him at all)

5) Bernie William's frog-like batting stance

By Nate on Wednesday, October 5, 2005 - 06:33 pm:

heh. Mike Mussina is the only thing I like about the yanks. The boy deserves a nono.

I just can't get into hockey. That's why I moved out of the woods- I just don't like wt.

By droopy on Wednesday, October 5, 2005 - 10:10 pm:

you should be watching the kings/dallas stars game i'm watching on my old tv with nuthin' but a bow-tie uhf antenna. this is hockey excitement.

go stars!

By jack on Wednesday, October 5, 2005 - 11:06 pm:

i like mike mussina and occasionally imitate his stretch windup when alone.

what's wrong with you, dougie? jeez, man. have a tequiza and get your head together!

By Nate on Wednesday, October 5, 2005 - 11:34 pm:

Jon Miller is the best baseball announcer.

By jack on Thursday, October 6, 2005 - 12:00 am:

agreed. nobody has his light touch. i don't think anyone else recovers so gracefully from glitches or mistakes. must be nice to have him full-time with the giants.

By Dougie on Thursday, October 6, 2005 - 09:49 am:

I like Joe Morgan as an analyst -- mostly because I loved him as a kid growing up being a Reds fan. I really miss Joe Garagiola and Tony Kubek though. Joe Buck and Tim McCarver are totally annoying, especially McCarver. The Yankees have some good announcers during the regular season -- Jim Kaat, Bobby Murcer, Michael Kay. The radio's a different story though -- WCBS has John Sterling who's excellent, but they put on some woman this year named Susan Waldman who's absolutely horrible -- she makes mistakes, jumps in on Sterling's play by play, and is just an annoyance. I hope she's gone next year.

That Chisox / Redsox game was pretty awesome last night. Couldn't stay up for the Angels game though.

By Nate on Thursday, October 6, 2005 - 10:09 am:

That Graffanino error was eeriely reminiscent of prior effects of the 'curse'. I read some column somewhere where the idea that the curse would shift to the White Sox was raised. Curses don't die, they shift. Maybe this curse just took a vacation.

McCarver is ridiculous. That NYY/BOS game, second to the last game of the regular season, where Cleveland was still in the running. Tim going through all the permutations of possible outcomes, going over and over how if the Yanks won and the Indians lost, the Yanks would clinch... over and over.

By Dougie on Thursday, October 6, 2005 - 10:33 am:

I always hate to see that, even for a team I don't like -- it's a team sport, but an error that like might live to haunt an individual forever. David Wells was pretty awesome in taking the blame -- saying that it was he who gave up the homerun.

Funny, there's actually an anti-McCarver website: http://www.shutuptimmccarver.com

Looking forward to the Houston / Atlanta game tonight -- Clemens and Smoltz, should be pretty awesome.

Damn, the wife's about to divorce me, what with watching baseball, doing a lot of fishing, and working a lot of late nights.

By Dougie on Thursday, October 6, 2005 - 10:35 am:

Hmm, maybe I should find another adjective to use besides awesome. Been saying that a lot lately, along with "Sweet."

By wisper on Thursday, October 6, 2005 - 11:17 am:

i like "wicked"

By Nate on Friday, October 7, 2005 - 07:55 pm:

two outs, bottom of the 9th. boston is down 2 runs. renteria steps to the plate. ortiz is waiting in the wings. if renteria can get on base, boston could just pull this off.

espn cuts to commercial.

what the fuck, espn.

i go to their website: chicago leads series 2-1.

uh, yeah, about that... no.

see ya next season, boston.

By Nate on Sunday, October 9, 2005 - 07:19 pm:

"I think Houston has the edge, but it will take five games."

i mean 5 games worth of innings.

goddamn.

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 01:37 pm:

I wasn't all that bummed last night when the Yankees lost. In fact, I was happier to see Boston lose than I was sad at the fact that NY didn't make it. I'm now rooting for the Chisox.

By Nate on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 09:06 pm:

damn, i'm glad what i wrote about the angels being all weak and easy prey for the white sox didn't post.

By Nate on Tuesday, October 11, 2005 - 09:06 pm:

motherfucker.

By Dougie on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 09:23 am:

Damn, that Jeannie Zelasko's got some bodacious ta-ta's, no?

Roy Oswalt was pretty masterful for Houston last night. I just hope that with this spate of close calls recently, that MLB doesn't jump on the replay bandwagon. What a shame it would be to see managers throwing out a red flag to challenge a play as opposed to seeing them tear out on the field and argue pointlessly with the umps until they're blue in the face.

By Nate on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 05:59 pm:

I'm with you. Bad calls and spitting, dirt kicking managers are part of the character of baseball.

I can't believe how restrained Scioscia was the other night. Even when you consider that Scioscia was a catcher and he knew his boy fucked up, I would have expected him to fly off the handle.

Maybe I just wanted him to fly off the handle.

I'm worried that call is going to fire up the Angels. Neyer ran down a list of the worst calls in post-season history, and in almost every one the victim of the bad call went on to win.

Fuck the Angels.

By Dougie on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 09:29 am:

Wow, I'm really happy for Houston. What a beautiful team to watch, what with the pitching and perfect execution of both defensive and offensive plays (how about that suicide squeeze last night!) St. Louis just looked lethargic the entire series, and looked like they gave up last night. I don't know if Houston has enough "heavy hitters" to contend with the Chisox, but the pitching duels ought to be awesome. I'm happy to see a couple of "small market" teams in the series this year.

Also, bye bye to Busch Stadium.

Teams that I want to see in the series in future years: Tigers, Reds, Indians, Phillies, Pirates, Twins, Brewers.

By Nate on Thursday, October 20, 2005 - 10:34 am:

and the giants.

the suicide squeeze has to be the most exciting play in baseball.

clemens v. contreras saturday. this is going to be some good shit. clemens and pettitte are 1st and 2nd in era for mlb. oswalt is 9th.

out of both teams, only lance berkman cracks the mlb top ten for any batting stats. (OBS, 7th)

i think i'd root for the chisox but i'm thinking the astros have a solid shot.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact