assraping your mother. or, a day in the working life.

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: assraping your mother. or, a day in the working life.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Friday, October 14, 2005 - 07:52 pm:

The company I work for (as a W-4 contractor) was bought. The new company does not handle its own contractor payroll, so I will soon be paid by a third party. The third party is requesting I sign a bunch of "new hire" type shit.

Included in this is a background check authorization. Here is the text:

"In connection with this request, I authorize all corporations, companies, former employers, supervisors, credit agencies, educational institutions, law enforcement agencies, city, state, county and federal courts, motor vehicle bureaus, military services and persons to release information they may have about me to the person or company with which this form has been filed, or their agent, Moore Information Services and release all parties involved from any liability and responsibility for doing so."

Basically, they are asking me to give them the right to ask anyone anything about me. Further, the authorization is in power for the length of my employment by this third party.

I called the HR person and she said "A lot of people ask about this, but all we every ask for is 7 years of felony and misdemenor history from local and federal agencies. So, it is really no big deal. Everyone signs it."

That made me feel so much better about the whole thing. I told her to give me a contract asking for authorization for a one time check of the information they check and I will most likely sign it.

Otherwise, I guess I'm looking for work? She said this is a boiler plate, industry standard release. Has anyone ever signed something like that?

It is so fucking vague! I mean, they can check my spending habits, my medical records, investments and account balances, anything!

Her whole "people sometimes show concern, but once I tell them what we really intend to do with your unlimited authorization, no one has a problem with it" line really bothered me. Not only do they want me to sign it, they're trying to coerce me into signing?

Am I just paranoid?

By Antigone on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 01:15 am:

No. You're in California. You've got much more power to negotiate contracts than most states. Plus, you're in a tech heavy area. Don't take shit. Besides, it never hurts to ask. If they say no, then you can decide.

A few months ago a company asked me to sign a comtract that basically said, "Everything you've ever thought of, or ever will think of, is ours until the end of time." I didn't sign the contract, and for some reason they didn't ask me to leave. I had another job in a month anyway.

By dave. on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 02:34 am:

you can always blow up their headquarters if they blow up your livelihood. eye for an eye. head for an eye. h-dog for an e-dog. fo shizzle.

By wisper on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 11:29 am:

This is probably going to be the least interesting reply, but you could just black out the parts you don't like and initial it, sign it, hand it over and see what they do. That's legal.

By wisper on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 11:30 am:

and then, you konw, rape their mom and stuff....YEAH!

By Nate on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 10:13 pm:

thankfully, i haven't reconnected my livelihood to work. i'm still like the victim of too many hellish relationships, now unable to commit.

so i won't be blowing up HQ.

even though it could take "a long time", i asked the hr rep lady to have legal prepare me a more specific, one time authorization to sign. she said she would "try".

fuck them. FUCK THEM I SAY!

this shit is really upsetting me. i'm not sure why i'm letting myself get so riled up. i am in a 'low phase', so maybe that's it. whatever the reason, gugh. argh. murgh.

and i don't think i'm going to get a lot of support on the homefront if i bail from the job for this reason. which pisses me off even more.

i need to put a call in to god. i need a few more of those waivers.

By Antigone on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 11:37 pm:

No, I know what you mean. My present job irritated me because they had me take a drug test. I promised myself years ago that I'd never take a job where they wanted one, but I had to compromise this time. (Had no choice, really: economic need and an otherwise great job.) Irritated the fuck out of me, though.

By dave. on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 12:40 am:

i had to pee test into this job. even though i knew i was going to pass, they treated me like i was fucking scum. i had visions of pissing all over the room. test that, bitches!

By Nate on Sunday, October 16, 2005 - 04:33 am:

yeah! YEAH! now i'm totally fuckign drunk. these peo0ple are fucking asscutns. i will not subit to their draconian dictates. FUCK YOU DRACONIANS! fukcing cunts.

goddam it cunts.

ytou fuckig cunts

fuck tyou fucnt cutns,. cutn. c8unts. cunts.

twat forest.

cunts.

By patrick on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 05:43 pm:

just black out what you dont agree too.

if they press the issue, press your request for them to sign something similar.

stand your ground.

ive signed similar documents but nothing as seemingly detailed as that. ive authorized them to check my credit and criminal history and thats it.

next time you go into a bank with money to deposit...say you want to make a new account...when they start asking you all of your personal info, besure and ask the same of them. when the clerk looks shocked and surprised when you ask her for her SSN and home address...remind her that you are handing over (potentially) large sums of your money. Shouldnt you have the right to know who you are giving it to? If they reply " of course miss dowell, you are giving your money to wells fargo, evil union and trust, first demonic of california et al" you can then further drag it out by making a case that they, as a bank clerk are not physically wells fargo and that they are merely a representative and you should know who you are handing your money over to.

a former coworker once told me how she did this with 10k in cash she was looking to deposit. her line was "im about to hand you ten fuckin grand, id like to know *who* im giving it to, just like you want to know every thing about me"

fight it nate.

By Nate on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 07:24 pm:

i do intend to stand my ground.

i'm in a cloud today. everything is fucked. it makes sense. drunk on saturday, a sharp inhale on sunday, and this depressed monday exhale. i don't know if this is a recent pattern or just noticible now that i'm so rarely drunk.

i have a problem with authority. i have a creeping headache. i have a serious attitude problem. i have recurring thoughts of absence.

not death, just absence. i want to screw my head off and leave it in a place where someone will find it, not too soon, and return it to my body. i want a blank period where i can catch the breath i cannot breathe. where i can just exist plainly.

fuck all. i'm in a mood today.

"twat forest"

i wish i had one of those to run through. or even a vivid image of one.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 18, 2005 - 03:03 pm:

like AA told a good friend of mine recently when they asked him to leave...

"you dont have a drinking problem, you have a thinking problem"

By Nate on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 09:54 pm:

in the end, i signed it.

the company wouldn't budge, i wouldn't budge.

and then my boss told me he'd have to send me away, but he'd really rather i stayed on. so i signed it. i like my boss. i like everyone on my team.

they're smart people. liberal arts people.

i told my boss it was a question of principle or employment.

i'm not gelded by the need for money.

he told me resistance has died in him. the corporations own the country. he went on this twenty minute rant that would have made dave. feel like a neocon.

then he caught a tangent and somehow sequewayed into how he once held the letters of Frederick Douglass in his hands. how his dissertation was all about orators in the 19th century.

back to background checks, and how strange it was that certain felonies might keep you from being unemployed.

which somehow led to us picturing certain other employees as assault and battery felons.

one manager in particular. my boss said, "I think he's a total asshole."

"uh," I said. That is my usual response when I'm not sure he should be telling me something. Which happens often. His direct honesty sometimes joins up with his lack of management experience in delightfully refreshing ways.

"I told [Director of HR] that. She hadn't even asked my opinion. We weren't even talking about [Manager who is an Asshole]."

"Have you told him you think he's an asshole?"

"No, not directly. But I'm sure he knows. I hope he knows."

so i signed the fucking papers.

i have nothing to hide, and i wouldn't have made a difference anyway. except to him and my team.

fucking stinks.

By Antigone on Friday, October 21, 2005 - 10:10 pm:

Well, it's good that you're working with people you like. That's more important than just about anything when it comes to work conditions.

By V on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 12:29 am:

Antigone,still alive 4 days later.

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 12:40 am:

And back to your board spamming ways too, I see.

Well, I guess some folks will never change, impending doom or no.

Next time I get to London, if you're still alive, we're definitely going to have to meet.

By V on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 01:54 am:

ANTI,you boss,are awesome,YOU want to meet v? you want to meet the Lithuanian guy that cant eat,sleep,cant spell,died 10 years back,kills dogs,loves cats,hates gays,yet some of my best friends are gay,hates spiders,one wife,2 allmost wifes,100 girlfriends,allmost killed myself 15 years ago,went bust,came back...one thing is right on,v buys drinks,v at this time understands the people he posts at,some are A..O.K....Anti,v goes through shit now and then,your words cheer me up,Look v made a mess up on the pills,v got less than 12 hours to go fore the next batch,look,think of it this way,if only the good die young,you and me got 200 years left to live...

By V on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 02:23 am:

I miss droopy lots,dont you?

By Antigone on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 11:26 pm:

200? Shit, if I make it for the next 50 I'm gonna shoot for at least 10,000.

By V on Wednesday, October 26, 2005 - 11:41 pm:

Antigone,allways had that feeling your a Vampire,I bet like me,you are still awake at 3 a.m.,most nights v is.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact