Poisoned Pet Food: Did anyone here buy contaminated food?

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Poisoned Pet Food: Did anyone here buy contaminated food?
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Karla on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 01:14 pm:

I did. Both my dog (a Bassett) and cat (a Siamese) ate some. Fortunately, they both threw it up immediately so they didn't die or suffer the severe health effects that so many animals did. They seem to be in good shape, but only time will tell about any long-term effects.
    This happened several weeks ago (before the recall) and I hear that Menu Foods is still expanding the recall and tainted food may still be on the shelves.
    It pisses me off. I try to be careful about what I feed them, but I have to rely on the regulatory agencies to do their jobs. USDA has a pattern of failures: first it was the spinach and lettuce, then peanut butter (which I also had in my cupboard), now the pet food. They never seem to know there's a problem until after people and pets start dropping.
    And don't get me started on the corporate culpability. The retailer where I bought my pet food pulled it off the shelves, but didn't mention a thing about refunds or who to contact about compensation for vet bills. Jerks.

By Dougie on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 04:02 pm:

We've been cooking up ground beef, chicken livers, rice + vegetables for the animals until all this shit blows over.

By droopy on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 04:48 pm:

i've been feeding my cat 9-lives cat food with no ill effects.

i've also been eating peanut butter sandwiches and spincach salads (not necessarily at the same meal) and yet i live.

i want to be able to go back to eating raw eggs. there have been periods of my life where my only breakfasts were prairie oysters.

By Karla on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 05:21 pm:

By sarah on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 07:16 pm:

what about just feeding them dry food instead of canned?

By heather on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 08:11 pm:

more reasons to eat local food

By platypus on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 09:30 pm:

Yeah, I'm glad that I make my cat food at home from locally sourced ingredients...commercial cat food is some scary stuff, man. I'm glad to hear that your animals appear to be ok, Karla.

I eat raw eggs all the time. In egg nog, raw cookie dough...undercooked poached eggs on whole wheat toast...I like to live dangerously with my CSA box eggs.

By V on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 11:48 pm:

One of my wild cats,v has a few,gave me a present today,another dead rat,on my door step....this is how a cat thinks,"look,big cat that walks on 2 legs to show off,if you dont eat the rat I killed for you,I will rip your fucking nose off at 3 a.m.,,,yeah,v got a big rip in the nose at 3 a.m.

By agatha on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 01:12 pm:

We have fortunately not had to deal with this so far, but we're almost out of food for dog and cats. It's a travesty. It's not surprising to me that pet food in particular is given low priority for inspections. We don't buy particularly expensive pet food, so we could have easily been dealing with this scenario.

By Karla on Tuesday, April 17, 2007 - 05:30 pm:

I've been sticking to dry food since the recall. I add a little shredded cheese to it as a treat. I only gave them wet food as a treat, anyway. Rufus (my Bassett) is Ok w/out it, but my Siamese (Boo) still complains loudly about the lack of wet food in the mornings. She's such a whiner.

By V on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 02:03 am:

Karla,you have a Siamese cat,?,....awesome,in London a Siamese cat you own for 3 weeks,then it gets stolen.

By lapis on Saturday, April 21, 2007 - 04:32 pm:

heather:

100 mile diet

it's difficult to know where your (or your pets) food comes from. i started trying to buy more local produce.... which isn't much, but it's a start.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 12:16 am:

No, i don't have contaimined food, but, McDonalds and Taco Bell has contaimined foods in which it makes me sick.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 12:20 am:

Oh, I have a reason to believe that often when it comes to my attention that some people are too, I mean too lazy to do their job. They always whine about their job and not being reasonable to them. or miscommunication on the job are result on food contaimned!

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, April 22, 2007 - 12:21 am:

Eating peanut butter and chicken can makes you sick. LoL!

By Karla on Monday, April 23, 2007 - 06:05 pm:

By eri on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 12:00 am:

I don't feed my pets any canned food so we have been OK, but in the bags of dry food we have been given some samples of the canned stuff.

We've been feeding it to the pregnant, stray mongrel that keeps lurking outside, but she seems just fine (and due to pop any time now). She appears to be in perfect health.

By Me......... on Tuesday, April 24, 2007 - 04:09 am:

we had a pregnant stray kitty that always showed up for dinner...so what the heck...went ahead and bought some cat food.......she liked it-then i found it on the list of bad kitty-food...then she disappeared for about five days, and i thought, my god, i've killed this poor, baby-laden creature.......now she's back....looks healthy-no sign of kittens.......very strange, indeed.........perhaps she's an alien kitty.........

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact