Tribute To A Cat

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Tribute To A Cat
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By wisper on Wednesday, February 6, 2008 - 10:19 pm:

I don't remember when my family got Sheldon, it must have been at least 5 years ago.
    This was when my sister still worked at a pet store, and the humane society would drop off cats to be adopted. No one was expected to take Sheldon. He was rescued from a house with 30+ cats, all heavily abused and in various stages of malnourishment. My sister took him because he was going to be put down. You could see his bones through his skin. The vet said he wouldn't last a week. My mom and sister spent that week feeding him slowly by hand and giving him water through a syringe. After two weeks he was like a totally different cat. But he still wasn't normal.
    He wouldn't let anyone tough him or pet him for several years. He wouldn't defend himself if the other cats swatted at him. He was lethargic and never ran or played. And most of all, after years of starvation and competition for food with other cats, he didn't know when to stop eating. While other cats eat only when they're hungry and stop when they're full, Sheldon ate each meal like it was his last. Then he would move on to the other cat's food. Then he would usually puke. And then the cycle would continue. He was constantly bingeing.
    As a result, he got so fat. Not the fattest cat i've ever seen a photo of, but the biggest i've seen IRL. I think at one point he was like 30 lbs, something crazy. Picking him up was a chore. His sympathy eating was out of control.
    When i visited, i always called him Fatass or Tubby, always causing my sister to scream at me, always reminding her that cat's don't speak english.

I answered the phone this morning to someone sobbing. They had to put him down this morning. He had heart disease, obviously from being overweight. So in a way, he died from being too happy and too well cared for.
    I'm not sad. He was a sick little guy who had a hard life and got to live his final years in a ridiculously loving home.

By droopy on Thursday, February 7, 2008 - 12:10 am:

cats are great. many has been the time that mine has been my only comforter. in her own way.

it makes me think of a bukowski poem:

"History Of One Tough Motherfucker"

he came to the door one night wet thin beaten and
    terrorized
    a white cross-eyed tailless cat
    I took him in and fed him and he stayed
    grew to trust me until a friend drove up the driveway
    and ran him over
    I took what was left to a vet who said,"not much
    chance...give him these pills...his backbone
    is crushed, but is was crushed before and somehow
    mended, if he lives he'll never walk, look at
    these x-rays, he's been shot, look here, the pellets
    are still there...also, he once had a tail, somebody
    cut it off..."
    I took the cat back, it was a hot summer, one of the
    hottest in decades, I put him on the bathroom
    floor, gave him water and pills, he wouldn't eat, he
    wouldn't touch the water, I dipped my finger into it
    and wet his mouth and I talked to him, I didn't go any-
    where, I put in a lot of bathroom time and talked to
    him and gently touched him and he looked back at
    me with those pale blue crossed eyes and as the days went
    by he made his first move
    dragging himself forward by his front legs
    (the rear ones wouldn't work)
    he made it to the litter box
    crawled over and in,
    it was like the trumpet of possible victory
    blowing in that bathroom and into the city, I
    related to that cat-I'd had it bad, not that
    bad but bad enough
    one morning he got up, stood up, fell back down and
    just looked at me.
    "you can make it," I said to him.
    he kept trying, getting up falling down, finally
    he walked a few steps, he was like a drunk, the
    rear legs just didn't want to do it and he fell again, rested,
    then got up.
    you know the rest: now he's better than ever, cross-eyed
    almost toothless, but the grace is back, and that look in
    his eyes never left...
    and now sometimes I'm interviewed, they want to hear about
    life and literature and I get drunk and hold up my cross-eyed,
    shot, runover de-tailed cat and I say,"look, look
    at this!"
    but they don't understand, they say something like,"you
    say you've been influenced by Celine?"
    "no," I hold the cat up,"by what happens, by
    things like this, by this, by this!"
    I shake the cat, hold him up in
    the smoky and drunken light, he's relaxed he knows...
    it's then that the interviews end
    although I am proud sometimes when I see the pictures
    later and there I am and there is the cat and we are photo-
    graphed together.
    he too knows it's bullshit but that somehow it all helps.

By Antigone on Thursday, February 7, 2008 - 02:38 am:

I've had my cat Max since 1995 when he was 2 years old. He's getting a bit long in the tooth. Lately he's been cleaning himself a bit less and getting scraggly, a sure sign that he's slowing down. He's sleeping now next to the computer, wheezing a bit with every breath. The old guy might not last much longer. He's been my constant companion for most of my adult life. It's going to hit me hard when he finally goes.

When I first got him he'd follow me everywhere. If I closed the bathroom door he'd yowl and scratch until I let him in. I had a dream in those early days of him following me around. I was in a shop, and the shopkeeper asked me about him. I said, "Oh, Max just follows me everywhere..." He stopped doing that a few years later, but lately he's returned to it. Makes me think the end is coming soon.

By agatha on Thursday, February 7, 2008 - 12:13 pm:

My cat Randall is dying, too. He lost a bunch of weight, and when we took him to the vet, they confirmed that his kidneys weren't working so great anymore. Now we have to give him IV fluids twice a week, which I hate and he hates, and I frequently get the needle in there wrong and fluid shoots out all over the place. He follows me everywhere, too,and he's always done that, but now he does it even more assertively. Cleo pushes him away all the time because she finds him annoying, and I feel compelled to remind her that he won't be around for too much longer. Usually, it sounds like this: "Cleo, he's DYYYY-IIIING. BE NICE TO HIM." The whole thing makes me very sad. He's fifteen.

By platypus on Thursday, February 7, 2008 - 12:58 pm:

I hate that pets get old. It seems so unfair and sad. And what is it with every Sorabjiite having an old/sick/dying cat all of a sudden? I'm glad I have one young cat and two older cats, so I have a nice age spread.

Mr Bell is turning 14 this year, and he's still going pretty strong. I think people are under the impression that he's old and decrepit because he has no ears, but I don't even really notice that anymore. He follows me everywhere but then he's always done that. He used to come to the beach with us when we lived in Caspar, sitting on a sand dune with his lip curled until we decided to go home.

By semillama on Thursday, February 7, 2008 - 01:16 pm:

My cat Seke is also 14 or so, but she seems to be doing pretty good for her age. She can still hop up on the bed with no problem and gets chased around by Kazu's cat much to her annoyance.

I'm hoping she has a few more years left in her, like Antigone, this cat has been with me for a very long time - I rescued her from the street right after I graduated from college.

By Rowlfe on Thursday, February 7, 2008 - 07:04 pm:

Sheldon was the fattest cat I've ever seen IRL as well... he was the Marlon Brando of cats. I have no idea if Sheldon was ever happy in the time with wispers family, but he was well cared for.

My own dog, Buddy, died this past fall. I don't think if I ever have another pet I'm going to give it a name like "Buddy" because that sort of name only makes it so much worse. My parents had moved several provinces away about 4 years ago and since then I had only seen Buddy for a couple weeks at a time since then. On one side it made it a little easier to let go, I never had to see the days of him unable to jump onto the bed, but when I found out they put him down I was ridiculously destroyed that I didn't get to see him one last time, the reasons why that is being too complicated to get into

I'm sad now.

By J on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 03:45 am:

I miss our Cat,Anita.

By Danielssss on Sunday, May 25, 2008 - 01:13 am:

I miss Cat too. Whatever happened to her. Last I knew she was in NewYorkWithMark and then lost track. Years ago. I faded out too, of course, and now, still with arms and legs a flailing, am back a changed and responsible tree hugger.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact