College

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: College
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Karla on Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 07:17 pm:

I started grad school last night. It might've been a mistake. Taking the kid to college Friday. Hope he can hack it.

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 12:49 am:

I start college -part time...

By Spider on Wednesday, August 24, 2011 - 10:23 am:

Karla, what's your field of study?

Dr. P, it's great that you're going for your degree.

I'm starting an Intensive Russian class this fall (next week!). I've never taken a language class at the college level before, and this "intensive" business is kind of intimidating -- it's two semesters compressed into one. I'm debating whether I should just audit it, but I don't want to give myself an excuse to slack off.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 06:45 am:

Spider, not yet for a degree, I have a full-time job, and I am just being a part-time college student.

The college just adopted a new strict policy: No text message during the class or you could get one absence "unexcused". Three unexcused absence = "withdrawl" from college course.

By platypus on Thursday, August 25, 2011 - 05:29 pm:

Spider, that class sounds challenging, but
    potentially fun! Hopefully the immersion/speed will
    be stimulating rather than overwhelming.

By Karla on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 03:36 pm:

Spider, I'm getting an MS in Marketing. Not the most thrilling field of study, but it complements my career experience.

When I decided to go back, I'd planned on studying something purely for my own interests: literature, or maybe history, but I was intimidated by the course descriptions and the amount of time it would take, so I opted for something quick and practical.

Maybe not the best decision. We'll see.

By J on Monday, September 5, 2011 - 03:07 am:

Practical is always a good thing,good for you Karla! I'm proud of you.

By Karla on Friday, September 9, 2011 - 05:29 pm:

Thx, J. I'm floundering in the statistics class, but I'm determined to power through it. I only have to pass it once, then I won't need it again.

By J on Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 01:25 am:

You can do it sweetpea:-)

By agatha on Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 01:39 pm:

Wow, I need to check in more often. Spider! Karla! I thought you both had disappeared. Spidey, are you working in a library these days?

By Spider on Monday, September 12, 2011 - 03:35 pm:

Yep, I'm working as a copy-cataloger at a university library now (I got hired almost a year ago). My supervisor is pretty much the best boss I've ever had and is extremely supportive of my career. She's said that she doesn't want me to be here in five years, because I should be moving up to a professional position, and she's actively helping me to get there. When I told her I was interested in collection development, she started looking for CD-type projects for me to work on so I could put that on my resume. She volunteered me to work the circ desk in our Instructional Media Center a few times a week, so I would have public services experience. (We just had a conversation today about how that totally does-so count as reference work on a resume.) She encouraged me to take this Russian course (which I'm totally loving), because there's a high-ish demand for catalogers who know Russian/Slavic languages. She's awesome.

You're a reference librarian, am I remembering right?

Karla, how are your classes going so far?

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, September 13, 2011 - 12:39 am:

Uhmm, I have classes tomorrow....

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact