Tell me something I don't know....

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: Tell me something I don't know....
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By moonit on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 12:43 am:

for example:

I got my drivers license in August (two days after my 33rd birthday). When you never used to drive; the feeling of freedom is amazing.

By platypus on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 01:32 am:

Congratulations! I haven't had a car in almost three years now, and the last time I drove, I felt like I had no idea what I was doing. Also, I secretly want to keep the car forever (see "freedom" above).

By Nate on Wednesday, October 15, 2008 - 02:15 am:

i never thought i'd be writing to Penthouse Letters, but here i am. today, for the first time, i bought a bottle of Dr. Bronner's liquid magic soap (peppermint).

i just got out of the shower, and i have to say: my asshole feels mentholated.

thank you Dr. Bronner!

By Dougie on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 12:24 am:

Dog feet smell like Fritos.

By platypus on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 12:35 am:

Lasagna which has been soaked by accident in iced lapsong soochong tea for a few hours is actually pretty good. I'm calling it "teasagna."

By Nate on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 03:06 am:

iced lapsong soochong. what a great idea.

By patrick on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 05:05 pm:

dude, i made that comment about dogs and "taco toes" years ago some where on this board. i was talking with dave, and he and I agreed the smell is a very pleasant one.

clearly you didnt know that.

By droopy on Thursday, October 16, 2008 - 08:06 pm:

in the next 15 minutes or so i'm going to find out what happens when you mix loose-cooked pork sausage into cornbread batter and bake it. i thought it would be a good side with lentil soup. unfortunately, i didn't have jalapenos to make it complete.

By patrick on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 01:47 pm:

when you mix soyrizo with trader joe's cuban style black beans, use as a taco base topped with mexican crema and add shredded red cabbage you get very strange tacos.

By Nate on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 03:07 pm:

how did it turn out, droopy?

soyrizo is bullshit. any man who eats soy products is just asking for bitch tits and 28 day mood swing cycles.

boycot soy!

it is ruining the world.

* the statements in this message have not been verified by Archer Daniels Midland or the Monsanto Corporation.

By droopy on Friday, October 17, 2008 - 03:30 pm:

it was good, but it would've benefitted from the jalapenos. it still went well with the lentil soup. had a slice for breakfast this morning with coffee.

it occured to me that cornbread is the only form of bread, that i'm aware of, that you can't buy already made. i've never seen loaves of cornbread wrapped in plastic on the shelves of grocery stores - only boxes of cornbread mix. that's just one thing that's cool about cornbread.

i don't go through a lot of soy during the normal course of my life except for the odd squirt of soy sauce and those roasted soy beans that i think make great beer nuts.

By kazu on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 02:21 pm:

You can buy ready made corn and gingerbread at
    Whole Foods.

By Nate on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 04:34 pm:

i would not buy anything that is made at whole foods.

By Spider on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 05:24 pm:

3 1/2 things you probably don't know:

1. In the Apache language, there is no word for "love".

1.5. (Or so said Louis L'Amour.)

2. Eight years ago this month, my brother and I went fossil hunting on the Chesapeake Bay and found sharks' teeth and fossilized whale baleen.

3. I can play the Smiths' "Oscillate Wildly" on the piano with my eyes closed.

By Danielsssss on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 06:38 pm:

Because I was brought up on a dairy and angus beef farm, I drink vanilla soy milk and eat bison. I buy bison and granola at whole foods and very little else. Their sushi, though fresh made, tastes blah and their cheese counter and fresh fisn suck. I will everyonce in a while buy some produce there, but prefer the farmers' markets locally. It's a forty mile one way trip to whole foods.

I am familiar with my family who occasionally (Smiths') "Oscillate Wildly" but not on the piano. Under, around, beyond, to the accompaniament of...It's a family thing, you know. But envisioning you oscillating on the piano with your eyes closed, well, that beats naked swimming anyday.

By Danielsssss on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 06:38 pm:

Because I was brought up on a dairy and angus beef farm, I drink vanilla soy milk and eat bison. I buy bison and granola at whole foods and very little else. Their sushi, though fresh made, tastes blah and their cheese counter and fresh fisn suck. I will everyonce in a while buy some produce there, but prefer the farmers' markets locally. It's a forty mile one way trip to whole foods.

I am familiar with my family who occasionally (Smiths') "Oscillate Wildly" but not on the piano. Under, around, beyond, to the accompaniament of...It's a family thing, you know. But envisioning you oscillating on the piano with your eyes closed, well, that beats naked swimming anyday.

By Danielssss on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 06:44 pm:

oh and the other thing from whole foods is the fresh made cashew nut butter. Nothing else is worth the trip, but the granola I can't seem to get at smaller local natural food stores. Whole Foods has a particular brand that is great, esp with soy milk.

No offense intended about the oscillating, btw.

By Danielssss on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 07:05 pm:

You don't know I make soap. I couldn't find any that wouldn't dry my skin. I installed a whole house water softener. That helped, but only in cutting my soap (laundry detergent too) use by two thirds. My skin still dried out. So, a year ago I installed a reverse osmosis water filtration system in the house, and well, needed a pure soap to go with pure water. Couldn't find any and starting snooping on the internet for suppliers of high quality ingredients.

Last fall I made several batches of goat's milk soap, some with basil (great antibacterial) and some with chamomile (a little too fru fru) but great smelling. Made a number of different receipes until finding the right one.

Just today finished three batches of "right one" soap... one pure goat's milk with peppermint, both the oil (purchased) and the ground mint leaves (grown organically in the garden). Tinted light green. Second batch was also pure goat's milk with vanilla scent and dark purple colorant. Third batch was straight vegetable glycerin with sandalwood extract, extra suds agent, and a dark green tint.

The goat's milk base I use is really great and relatively pure; it's the best soap I make, and contains: Saponified Coconut oil, Palm oil, Castor oil, Safflower oil, with glycerin, purified water, goat's milk (10% Vit D added refrigerated real goat's milk), sorbitol (from berries), Sorbitan oleate, soybean protean, and titanium dioxide (mineral).

So entered the goats into Daniel's life.

Didn't know that, huh. You'll just thought I were a perverse Ozark Hills boy. Have you know I wuz born in New York state and am a fifth generation bootlegger and gambler.

By moonit on Sunday, October 19, 2008 - 11:11 pm:

Thats amazing. I never would of thought you made your own soap.

I got all my hairs cut on Saturday. Then threw a temper tantrum at Andrew because I was upset. Today the bright blonde and shortness are growing (heee) on me.

By patrick on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 06:29 pm:

my daughter is such a brat to her mom. i feel sorry for them.

its been six weeks since she left california and was only talking that way to adults half the week.

my child is in for a rude awakening when we get town in about 12 days.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 06:42 pm:

I love RRRRUUUUDDDDDEEEEE AAAAWWWAAAKKKIIINNNNGGGGG!!!!!

By Nate on Saturday, November 1, 2008 - 01:34 pm:

i've been using a mac exclusively at work and now i'm looking for keys that aren't on my PC.

i went to brown sugar kitchen for lunch yesterday. had a pulled pork sandwich with a side of cornbread. or "cast iron skillet cornbread with brown sugar butter" as they call it.

great cornbread. probably the best pulled pork sandwich i've ever had, too.

i'm going to have to figure out cornbread.

By droopy on Saturday, November 1, 2008 - 02:16 pm:

want a recipe?

By moonit on Saturday, November 1, 2008 - 02:32 pm:

I made cornbread once. I thought it needed salami. or something. Its 6.28am Sunday here. A certain brown dog thinks that every time Andrew goes to work she gets a walk and kept annoying me until I got up. Now I am up and she is asleep on the floor beside me. WTF? I spoil them I know it by letting this happen every weekend; but I need the exercise too.

By kazu on Saturday, November 1, 2008 - 03:14 pm:

The very first time I made Sem dinner, I made cornbread.

By wisper on Saturday, November 1, 2008 - 05:32 pm:

my american aunt makes cornbread and brings it over for christmas. We have it with dessert.

By sarah on Sunday, November 2, 2008 - 12:39 pm:

i want your grandma's recipe, droop.

the one i made last week was pretty good. next time i'll omit the bacon fat and substitute it with vegetable oil, and try fine ground cornmeal. brown sugar sounds awesome. i love cornbread that's on the sweet side.

1.5 cups medium stone ground cornmeal
    1/2 cup unbleached regular flour
    1 tbs sugar
    2 tea baking powder
    1 tea baking soda
    1 tea salt
    1.5 cups buttermilk
    3 tbs butter
    1/2 tbs bacon fat
    2 large eggs

Preheat the oven to 400 and stick the skillet in there. Measure and mix all the dry ingredients together. Pull out the skillet when it's hot, and put the butter and bacon fat in the cast iron skillet and swirl it around til it melts. It's okay if it browns a little. Pour fats in a bowl with the rest of the wet ingredients. Mix everything together in a huge bowl. Pour it all into the pre-heated cast iron skillet. Bake for 18 minutes at 400 degrees.

By sarah on Sunday, November 2, 2008 - 12:41 pm:

tell you something you don't know.

the walls of our main bathroom are painted a deep, bright orange.

By Nate on Sunday, November 2, 2008 - 01:09 pm:

i'll take a recipe, droop.

my dad painted our bathroom deep, bright orange one summer.

my bathroom is an illmaking lavender color. i'm going to paint a giant golden thunderbolt on one wall, terminating at the toilet.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, November 2, 2008 - 02:26 pm:

Jesus nate! Mine is going be needing a new paint. The problem was that, we do not have a ventilating to clear the shower mist.

By droopy on Sunday, November 2, 2008 - 04:42 pm:

this is the recipe my grandmother used but did not invent.

1 cup yellow stone-ground cornmeal
    1/2 cup flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup buttermilk
    1/2 cup whole milk
    1 egg
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1 tsp baking soda

mix the cornmeal, flour, and salt in a large bowl. i was taught to make a "well" in the center of the mixed dry ingredients and start adding the milks, egg (broken from the shell), soda and baking powder. mix it all together using a fork so as not to over mix it.

i preheat the oven to 450. if i'm using bacon grease i usually cook a couple of slices, reserve the grease and crumble the bacon to put in the bread. i'm not above using crisco. or you can use lard. like sarah said, stick the skillet (i've also used a pie tin and a loaf pan) in the oven while it preheats. i mix all the ingredients together and let them sit for 5 minutes or so, then pull the pan out - the grease already in it - and pour the batter in while it's still at it hottest. you want to hear it sizzle when it hits the pan.

bake 20 minutes, but start keeping a watch on it after 10. don't let the top get past golden brown.

this is more of a gritty, "country" cornbread.

By Spider on Sunday, November 2, 2008 - 05:09 pm:

*drool*

I need to get me cast-iron skillet. They're so handy.

Tell you something you don't know: pomegranates were introduced into England in the 1550s by John Tradescant the Elder (I want to write his last name as "Transcendant"), but they didn't take. They were a part of Catherine of Aragon's personal heraldic emblem. (Catherine of Aragon didn't take, either, but you already knew that.)

By platypus on Sunday, November 2, 2008 - 05:59 pm:

I want an orange bathroom. I've been thinking about painting one of my kitchen walls red, except that I don't want to have to deal with covering it up when I move.

Something you might not know: those little stringy things in eggs are called chalazae, and they are supposed to keep the egg from getting all scrambled up inside during embryonic development.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, November 2, 2008 - 07:58 pm:

Platypus, Do you own or rent? I am curious.

By Antigone on Sunday, November 2, 2008 - 09:29 pm:

suger in cornbread == YANKEE!

Though the bacon fat kinda makes up fer it.

By Danielssss on Sunday, November 2, 2008 - 09:30 pm:

I can only rent chalazae here in Missouri. Though my son's cheese shop is selling locally laid pullet eggs for 4.50 dozen. Boy are they small. What you don't know this week...

My father dreamt his bathroom, light gray tiles with brilliant blue and maroon all mixed together. The blue were 6x6 wall tiles, and the gray and maroon were inch by inch. The floor i can't recall, but it seemed to be pink one inche tiles with blue.... my mother was the artistic one but he set the color scheme in the powder room for her, and the one bath in the whole whole when I was young.

My house, the one I live in now, has four bathrooms.

My bathroom floor and walls are 14 inch square French porcelain in a light whitish gray vein, almost like a marble but it is not, with white but not glaringly white grout, floor and walls. Actually all the first floor not carpeted is of these tiles, kitchen hall, two baths and sunporch...

Accent chair rail type tiles in my bathroom are 1/2 inch slate of various colors including red and brown and silver and some mettalic looking flecking, with dark almost black roping 1/2 inch top and botom. Flesh colored tan walls. White fixtures. Wood pine colored naturally yellow for all the trim. It took me a long time to get it right.

The guest/hall bath has a gray off white 6x6 tile throughout, same as the kitchen walls have, a different accent of brown and off white leaf& fossil patterns 3x3tile (Home depot) with the same porcelain flooring. Upstairs guest bath off my study -- not finished but functioning -- is planned to have lite green and blue small glass tile on walls, and an almost decadent white ceramic 13x13 floor tile diagonally laid up the walls running parallel to the roof line of the dormer in which it is situated. I want to use a red colored grout to make it pop off the wall, as it is a small space. If I don't like it when done, well, I'll rip it out.

It has been an eight year project (like the kitchen which now only lacks four pieces of pine trim and a shelf in the custom oven cabinet and a back on that as it faces the dining area). I bought nearly a pllet of the decadent white ceramic when on closeout, so the entire Laundry, canning kitchen, and lower walkout level living areas--at least the part finished; there are three of four more rooms depending on how you count them that remain just concrete.

Tomorrow the ceiling drywall in the walkout level goes in (coffered in the laundry room and straight the rest). Spent all day Friday putting can lites in the ceiling. Walls of box car siding and ceramic tile floor all finished. I feel like the end is near. Drywall should be in by the time McSame is out to pasture.

By moonit on Sunday, November 2, 2008 - 11:17 pm:

This morning I ran.

(thats what caused that earthquake in case you were wondering).

It appears that running gets easier the more you do it - despite having a spastic red dog trying to attack the leash. Today we managed two thirds of the street we normally try and run parts of; and then the trip home was run one/walk one style (lampost based).

By Dr Pepper on Monday, November 3, 2008 - 12:38 am:

moonit, normally, I usually enjoy the walk in any town I never been to; It usually on the weekend when I am not working I lives in a village and there are two train station nearby, I usually hop on the train and decided which town I would get off and go on from there look around the town, or look at the nice house.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, November 3, 2008 - 12:47 am:

droopy, I can make the best taco, the best than the Taco Bell, The best you will ever eat, once you eat, you couldn't stop eating it! Suppose if you are out of meat, and you still be hungry for it! you got to love those homemade taco! But, I still loved El Fenix Mexican restuarant around Dallas, already ,I missed it!

By droopy on Monday, November 3, 2008 - 01:28 am:

got the munchies, dr. pepper?

By Antigone on Monday, November 3, 2008 - 02:16 am:

I drove by an El Fenix today: Northwest Highway and Hillcrest.

By sarah on Monday, November 3, 2008 - 12:04 pm:

Elephants are the only animals that can't jump.

By platypus on Monday, November 3, 2008 - 01:02 pm:

Really? What about giant tube worms?

By Dr Pepper on Monday, November 3, 2008 - 01:33 pm:

sarah, what about giraffee?

By sarah on Monday, November 3, 2008 - 01:33 pm:

what are you talking about?? they have a 3 foot vertical!

By Dr Pepper on Monday, November 3, 2008 - 03:36 pm:

I don't remember seeing giraffee jump like 3 feet up! I mean they are like more than 12 feet tall, it is impossible that they jump! :-)

By Karla on Wednesday, November 5, 2008 - 01:27 pm:

Moonit - Good for you! Running does get easier the more you do it, although I think having a dog with you makes it harder. An iPod helps too. The key is not to do too much too fast.

By Spider on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 03:15 pm:

Today I learned that Winston Churchill was a direct descendant of the Duke of Marlborough.

Also, the Dukedom of Marlborough is the only dukedom in the UK that can be passed through the female line.

By Spider on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 05:33 pm:

Duh, I mean *that* Duke of Marlborough. The first one, John, the military commander in the 1600s. And, naturally, every other one who came after.

Yesterday, by happy coincidence, I got to look at bunch of antique books on the Gunpowder Plot. Remember, remember...

Another thing I learned: after Oliver Cromwell was dead and buried, his corpse was dug up, displayed in chains, beheaded, and his head was mounted on a pike. His head (later, skull) was sold from private owner to private owner until the middle of the 20th century, until it (just the head) was finally buried in 1960.

By moonit on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 05:53 pm:

I'm going to attempt to make truffles as part of my xmas gift this year - along with a small jar of instant homemade hot chocolate mix. I thought it would be fun, Now I'm thinking its a massive effort. but still fun.

By Danielssss on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 06:46 pm:

Son Adam the cheesemonger just called me to say he had ordered cases of truffles for something...

We could do the Oliver Cromwell thing with Bush but we would have to kill him and Cheney first, huh. Still, an excellent idea!

By Danielssss on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 06:49 pm:

By Spider on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 07:18 pm:

How does one become a cheesemonger? That sounds like a heavenly career.

By TBone on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 07:42 pm:

I could mong cheese all day.

By Daniellsssss on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 09:50 pm:

four years college in international studies, six years cooking, two fulltime, teaching culinary at Viking stores, and not getting a job in international student affairs, and travelling extensively in Europe, Asia.

oh, and liking goats and sheep, cheese, and things.

his next area of expertise to conquer is charcuterie, or something like sausage making.

thanks for asking

great use of

By moonit on Thursday, November 6, 2008 - 11:17 pm:

We have a cheese place round the corner from work where they um 'grow' cheese or however you produce it.

there is an excellent vineyard and cheesemonger in Queenstown; you do the tour of the underground and then pop up for cheese and chorizo and nibbly platters. YUM.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact