The Big Lie

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: The Big Lie
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By The Watcher on Tuesday, January 6, 2009 - 04:05 am:

Here is the latest example of the media creating a big stir over actually nothing.

"Third-hand Smoke: Another Reason To Quit Smoking"

All the news articles, particularly on TV or Radio, make you think someone has actually done some scientific research and found something new to harrass smokers.

The truth is they have not. What the survey did was reinforce the researchers predudises (I know I can't spell). It was not research to find cause effect relationships. It was a survey on peoples "knowledge" and opinions.

"Their study is the first to examine adult attitudes about the health risks to children of third-hand smoke and how those beliefs may relate to rules about smoking in their homes." (here it is - new laws to restrict your rights)

"The dangers of third-hand smoke are very real," says Winickoff, who is a professor of Pediatrics at Harvard Medical School and a member of the American Academy of Pediatrics' Richmond Center. "Our goal was to find out if people who were aware of these harmful effects were less likely to smoke inside of their home."

"Winickoff's team found that this was the case. In a survey of more than 1,500 households, 95.4 percent of nonsmokers versus 84.1 percent of smokers agreed that second-hand smoke harms the health of children, and 65.2 percent of nonsmokers versus 43.3 percent of smokers believed that third-hand smoke harms children. Strict rules prohibiting smoke in the home were more prevalent among nonsmokers – 88.4 percent versus 26.7 percent – but among both smokers and non-smokers, participants who agreed that environmental smoke was harmful to children's health were more likely to have restrictions on smoking in their homes."

The previous quotes came from ScienceDaily.

I bet you never knew exactly what they studied from your local news.

Another fine example of the news media and their liberal friends trying to scare you into taking away peoples rights.

By heather on Tuesday, January 6, 2009 - 04:20 am:

i can't be troubled to figure out what the fuck you are saying, but smoke your damn head off watcher. really, please do, assert your rights.

By droopy on Tuesday, January 6, 2009 - 02:27 pm:

a long time ago i stopped paying any attention the any new "research" - especially health-related - that claims to prove this or that. i notice nowadays that the old claims are being debunked almost as often as the new claims are being made.

but i assume what you want us to know is that the liberals are coming to get us.

my sister and brother-in-law both smoke and have a baby daughter. i'll call them up and warn them that the liberal gestapo will soon be coming to take their daughter away and raise it in a toxin-free field somwhere.

By Dr Pepper on Wednesday, January 7, 2009 - 03:00 am:

The Watcher, you know better than that, TRUST NO ONE!, simplify, everyone lies too much.

droopy, I stopped listening to tv media after visiting toronto canada, because, when something happens, (I.E.) nuclear accident happened in russia back in 1987, it was on the news all over canada, but , not the U.S. I called my friend while I was visiting in canada and asked if he heard of anything from the news within US, his reply; he heard nothing.

What you hear anything in canada, won't be told in U.S. something conspiracy is going on.

Here's the trick, I don't know if you all watched "Good Morning Vietnam" started by Robin Williams? Here is the point.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact