SQL recapitulates Meat Life

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: SQL recapitulates Meat Life
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Margret on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 03:06 pm:

I got a threatening message in my email encouraging me to share a little detail about the (sort of) recent goings on in my vagina and parts connected.

So - in 2006 we may recall I went through some sort of crazy break-up. It was AWESOME. Well, really it was kind of horrible but it was a good move. I did everything at once; broke up with Cameron (1999-2006), broke up with my job (1999-2006), broke up with my mother (1967-2006), moved (across town, nowhere exciting), got a new job (not exciting, but satisfying to know your job skeelz xfer), got a new boyfriend (transition boyfriend, gone in less than a year and lived in nowhere Texas and was a really good transition boyfriend as result). Had a fling boyfriend after that who was really delightful in the sex doesn't have to mean anything to either of you and as long as you like each other it doesn't have to be horrible when it stops, either.

Then it was 2007 and the guy I'd moved to Denver with and had been dating when I first started posting on Sorbaji moved back to Albuquerque. Had stayed friendly with his family, met up with him at his little brother's band's show, we started hanging out (was still dating Fling Boyfriend) and he talked me around to giving us another chance. First ex-boyfriend I have ever taken back.

Six months later we were legally married (Cameron and I had been uhhh married in the non-state sense) and two months after that I was pregnant.

I am due April 6, 2009 (I really, really don't want to go that long guys) and we just closed on a house yesterday. The baby will be a boy; due to my Advanced Maternal Age I had all of the testing done (yeah, uh, amnio sucks - don't do it if you don't really need it) and everything's looking good. I turned up with gestational diabetes on account of my no donette refused policy, and I've been forced to carb count and eat regularly for the past couple on months as a result.

I know I am pregnant and will soon have a baby - but I must confess it all seems abstract except for the tiny head and shoulders lodged in my pelvis which cause quite a bit of discomfort (but not actually that much pain).

Oh, and the title is because I have to write some SQL to find gaps in sequence of greater than X. This is me filling those sort of narrative gaps in sequence, albeit in a superficial way, between dave sending me some ram 3 years ago and me doing a "having a baby" drive by on WAYD.

Baby is named: he will be Oden Godzilla.

Thanks, Agatha!

By Antigone on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 03:39 pm:

Take lots of pictures. :)

If you're comparing two rows you'll either have to 1) do a subquery to get the next greatest row for each row, 2) use embedded procedural code like PLSQL, or 3) just return the result set and do a linear scan. 2 is probably best.

By Margret on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 04:57 pm:

I was thinking of a subquery to return all Stop and Start Where Start is min(x)>Stop but Start is <>Stop+1...I was thinking there had to be a cleaner way to do it or some sample scripts on the tubes - but my searches have come up short. Essentially, I am trying to sneak chunks of historical data into gaps in existing data.

By Antigone on Saturday, March 28, 2009 - 10:41 pm:

Trying to force it into pure SQL would be a pain. SQL is essentially a transformation language. (Sort, aggregate, filter, etc.) What you want to do is inspect pairs of records and determine their relationship. That's not a transformation, which is why you need the procedural bits.

My wife also wanted to get the pregnancy over before the due date, but ended up being about a week over. Hang in there. That bun will be out of the oven eventually. :)

By Margret on Sunday, March 29, 2009 - 01:51 am:

I wrote a function I could feed an integer and a minimum gap size for slotting in my data - it works for identifying the integer before/after with a right-sized gap between, but now I need to work on optimization because I don't like its slow ass.

I have had a really easy pregnancy except for the past couple of weeks; the baby being lodged in the pelvis is just a really uncomfortable thing.

By agatha on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 12:57 pm:

Hooray, Margret! I'm sorry I threatened you. Updates on other babies around here...
    Sem & Kazu
    Sara & Senor Balls- working on #2
    Tiggy & wife (what's your wife's name again, Tiggy?)

Cute babies, all. Stick around this time, dammit!

By agatha on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 12:58 pm:

PS- I like the name Oden. Godzilla, the jury's still out.

By Spid6er on Monday, March 30, 2009 - 08:14 pm:

Hello there.....Margret.

:P

Margret, if you're going to misspell Odin, you might as well go whole hog, you know? Something like Oedyn5ne or something. (The 5 is silent.)

By J on Thursday, April 2, 2009 - 12:37 pm:

Wow Margret, a babysaurus,and he's he's gonna hatch anyday,I'm so happy for you:)
    As much as I've bitched about my spawn here,I love them and the grandbabies have more than made it worth it.
    It's a whole new world.....

I'm getting really mellow in my old age,or senile.

By semillama on Friday, April 3, 2009 - 10:16 pm:

i vote for Wotan Gojira.

Yay Margret!

By Margret on Thursday, April 9, 2009 - 05:38 pm:

So, now 3 days overdue.

That's not fun.

By Dr Pepper on Thursday, April 9, 2009 - 11:50 pm:

Margret, just shout at your baby! Just come on out!

By semillama on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 01:08 pm:

Are they going to induce you, Margret?

By agatha on Friday, April 10, 2009 - 02:14 pm:

Baby does what baby wants! (read like Cartman). My sympathies, Margret.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact