First trip to the Zoo!

sorabji.com: The Stalking Post: First trip to the Zoo!
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By semillama on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 06:46 pm:

We took my son to the zoo for his first visit yesterday. He's not quite a year and a half yet, but he was a trooper and didn't fall asleep until we were walking out. He really liked the fish in the reef exhibit and I think he liked the manatees. He was fascinated with the bonobos and gorillas. We didn't bother trying to show him the sleeping animals.

I think another trip is in order, but much later in the year, maybe late fall when the temperatures are much cooler and the animals will be more active.

I really hope Ian will share my love of zoos when he's older.

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 07:01 pm:

My ex-wife likes going to many zoo in several states, at one times, I took her and my children to Milwaukee County Zoo. which is back in 1995, she complained that the admission price was expensive.
    But the visit was worth it. Took my son to aquarium once time, he was so terrified of a shark, but it was a foam shark, had to convience him it is fake, and toured Milwaukee County Mueseum, My ex-wife totally liked it. so did my children.

By Hal on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 07:26 pm:

Never been to what I would consider a "real" zoo.

*shame*

By Dr Pepper on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 10:28 pm:

Does that mean you already visited a virtual reality zoo? LMAO!

By sarah on Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 11:14 pm:

we took turducken1 to the st. louis zoo when she was one year old. i think she enjoyed the people watching as much as the animal watching.

same same.

so he's about 18 months old now right?

a year and a half later things are so much different. when we're in honolulu later this week we'll visit the zoo and the aquarium at some point. td2 might get a little something out of it - her first word was 'fish'. though she calls all animals 'fish', and she started walking this week, so that's her jam now.

td1 is head over heels in love with fish and aquariums - probably because it's so soothing to watch.

mostly i have visions of Tutu chasing my kids down the beach while i draw circles in the sand after a long morning of surfing.

we'll see. i may just be hallucinating.

By Dr Pepper on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 01:19 am:

Did anyone been to Memphis Zoo? it so awesome! Took her on her 19th Birthday. I find Memphis Zoo very amazing! Even the Panda bear was there! You will regret if you didn't visit.

By Daniel on Monday, June 28, 2010 - 11:54 am:

have a safe wonderful and memorable time with your family...things are always different witha spouse along, but with two children, you might not recognize yourself. I'm in Anna Maria for a week, white sand betweeen my toes and everywhere else.

By Hal on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 01:50 am:

The only zoo I've ever been to was the Zoo in
    Billings. (called Zoo Montana)

However, at the time VERY VERY long ago, it wasn't
    much of a zoo.

I guess it's more of a zoo now, but I've never been
    back.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 02:23 am:

Hal, you probably went to a virtual reality zoo on a 386 processor computer, that is why it is not much of a zoo.. mmmmbwhahaha.

By patrick on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 12:55 pm:

zoos make me mostly sad.

By Dr Pepper on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 12:58 pm:

How is that!?

By kazu on Tuesday, June 29, 2010 - 08:22 pm:

Because many zoos are terrible places for animals.

The Columbus Zoo is one of the few that I am happy to support. It has some great conservation programs.

By patrick on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 04:47 pm:

i went to Durham Science & natural History museum and they
    have a strange collection of live animals in an outdoor park
    setting. I took Eva there last year. We came to the wolf cage and
    there they had a fistful of red wolfs and one was just pacing
    back and forth. It reminded me of my dog when she is in pain,
    nervous or both. They we went to the lemur house and well,
    lemurs are endangered adn these guys were a part of a facility
    with Duke that is all about saving lemurs, and I felt better.

But then we came to the bear preserve and I felt bad again. We
    could barely see the god damn bears so what was the point of
    housing them.

The original mission with zoos as tool to foster education and
    appreciation of nature's diversity is long overlooked. Few people
    actually walk away with greater knowledge of any given animal
    seen that day.

By kazu on Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 06:35 pm:

I'd rather go to a zoo where you can't always see the animals because their facilities are top notch (that is, they have plenty of room and shade/cover) than one in which they are given only a small, glass room so that the people can see them all the time, any time.

If it's actually a "preserve" the point is preservation, not simply exhibition for the sake of exhibition. That is a sign of a good program. If Zoos have quality educational materials, there are ways of learning that go beyond gawking at the animals.

Also, if you are going in the middle of the day, you aren't going to see as many animals because they, you know, sleep. Imagine that.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact