the lineup for course selection.

sorabji.com: What is your definition of hell?: the lineup for course selection.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Sister on Friday, November 5, 1999 - 02:44 pm:

i hate school even more now. 3 hours and 45 minutes standing in line in the BASEMENT of the university center, and guess what i'm taking? apiculture. that's right... beekeeping. i'm a fine arts student and i'm taking beekeeping. i couldn't get into sociology which i really really wanted to take. now i'm going to be behind in by two full courses. how could everything be all filled up already? or CLOSED like the stern woman at the desk said?? i went on my right day... i went early in the morning... i don't understand what i did wrong. i am paying five billion dollars a year to study courses i have no interest in. dropping out is looking more and more like the smart thing to do. i can't handle this anymore. nothing is going right and this is turning out to be WORSE than high school if that's even possible. UGH!

By Rhiannon on Friday, November 5, 1999 - 03:29 pm:

Beekeeping sounds kind of cool.

Did you know that the Romans thought that if your hive died, all you had to do was beat a cow to death and your bees would be resurrected? (Virgil, Georgics IV) -- thanks to a class in Roman culture that I did not want to take at first and then LOVED after the second week. I still read my old books. Like Suetonius. Now that is exciting reading! Did you know that the emperor Nero liked to tie men and women to stakes, and then he would dress up as a wild animal and be released from a cage and then "attack their private parts with sticks"?

Did you know that the naked mole rat lives like a bee? They live underground in a prairie-dog like situation, but they have a queen, and the queen is bigger than all other mole rats, and she's the only fertile female in the bunch. Mole rats are the only known mammals to exhibit insect-like qualities in this way.

Don't give up on your course yet. It could be quite entertaining.

By Sister on Friday, November 5, 1999 - 04:37 pm:

that's VERY interesting... yeah, i'm actually thinking that it might not be so bad after all... apiculture will definitely broaden my horizons and i just realized that i don't have any classes before 12 AM. i think i am just in a mega-bad mood after the long line up.

By Nate on Friday, November 5, 1999 - 04:43 pm:

(i'm impressed, spider.)

By Rhiannon on Friday, November 5, 1999 - 05:30 pm:

I'm a freak. I have to know everything. I can't stand not knowing things. I can't stand being in conversations with people who are talking about something I don't understand.

You know what else? Everything has to have a rule or it has to be in order. That's why I love psychology -- it takes something that has no intuitive organization (human thought and behavior) and puts an order to it. I also like how there are no answers in psychology, only theories. There's always room for improvement and discovery and intuition and creativity, so you never stop learning.

By Nate on Friday, November 5, 1999 - 05:36 pm:

(i wasn't impressed by your knowledge.)

By Sister on Friday, November 5, 1999 - 05:43 pm:

psychology was full too.

By Rhiannon on Friday, November 5, 1999 - 06:09 pm:

*pbtbtbtt*

(what impressed you, nate? my spelling?)

By Agatha on Friday, November 5, 1999 - 08:22 pm:

sister, here's what worked for me in college.
    1. show up on the first day of class for the class you wanted to take but was closed.
    2. refuse to leave, but be subtle about it. even if they say that there are no spaces and aren't going to be any spaces, just try to stay if you can.
    3. follow up on the day of the next class. talk to the teacher, and tell herhim that you are still interested in the class.
    4. leave a message on their voice mail reaffirming this fact.
    5. hopefully, they will be either so irritated with you or so impressed by your persistance, that they will overload you into the class. worked more times than not for me. good luck.

By Semillama on Saturday, November 6, 1999 - 12:24 am:

One of the priviledges of grad school (for those who contemplate the plunge) is getting to register for classes befreo everyone else, and alos being able to walk to the front of the line ahead of all the undergrads. Of course, grad students have to read as much in a smeseter as most undergrads do all year, so there are trade offs.

Rhiannon - I just started reading Quantum Psychology by Robert Anton Wilson. If I had read that when I was a muddled and confused undergrad, I might have gone into pschology myself. Pretty mind-expanding stuff to be reading in the laundromat. If you haven't read that book yet, I recommend it. I just finished the part where he talks about how you can prove you have two heads. I had to put the book down at that point because I was laughing pretty hard from the burst of enlightment and the other people in the 'mat were looking at me funny.

By Antigone on Saturday, November 6, 1999 - 02:29 am:

But I do have two heads.

And I'm not talking about the severed one under my coffee table in the brown paper bag...

The web is so evil. I just bought "Quantum Psychology" from amazon.com while posting this.

By Gee on Saturday, November 6, 1999 - 04:48 am:

I'm impressed too, Rhiannon, but with your knowledge. That's really interesting. You have infected me. I want to take a course on Roman culture.

I know there's a first year course at my school on roman and Greek culture, and if I take it next year I'll be smarter than everyone else. What a wonderful evil plan!!

By Czarina on Saturday, November 6, 1999 - 10:16 am:

Note to Sister: Go and talk to the instructor, tell him/her that surely there are people "just hogging up" space, that don't even care about the course,and just took it to get the hours,and here I am,truely interested in the course,with a 3.9 GPA and can't get in.[ this strategy works best if you do indeed have a good GPA].I have 2 degrees,and used this strategy whenever I couldn't get a class I wanted,and it worked everytime.Flattery,also can be a plus in this endeavor," I've heard such good things about the way you teach this course-----blah blah blah".Don't be afraid to suck-up,because in the end you accomplish YOUR goal,and what can be more important than that!Good luck!

By Satan on Saturday, November 6, 1999 - 03:14 pm:

.....or you can sell your soul to me and I'll give you knowledge.....

By heather on Saturday, November 6, 1999 - 03:17 pm:

liar

By Mirror imageegami rorrim on Saturday, November 6, 1999 - 05:35 pm:

Satan is natas backwards.....

By Kicki on Sunday, November 7, 1999 - 10:57 am:

who cares..

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact