beingback to square one

sorabji.com: What is your definition of hell?: beingback to square one
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Agent D on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 08:57 pm:

When you manage to get rid of your own problem, then you get another problem. it is like a cycle.

By Agent Orange on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 11:01 pm:

I once had an old Schwinn that would shake and wobble going down hills. Now that was a vicious cycle!

By Nate on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 11:02 pm:

yeah. and then you do some sly tree-tops and get to square two, and then you hit just barely inside the corner of square three and get that chick out. the little pigtails bitch. and then you're square three, but then the big fifth grader in square 4 screams one past you and...

you're back to square one.

LIFE IS SO FUCKING CRUEL.

By Goldilocks on Friday, March 30, 2001 - 11:13 pm:

Life is gruel!

By Nate on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 03:21 am:

AND THEN IT IS CRUEL.

By amanda on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 12:29 pm:

in 4th grade... i was 4-Square champion.

life wasn't cruel to me then, or at least i didn't recognize that it was.

By semillama on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 01:31 pm:

What the hell is 4-square?

And when you played marbles as a kid, did you shoot into a circle or into a small hole scooped out of the ground?

By Chico on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 02:45 pm:

And then the TIME CUBE four circle corner after full GOYIM claim to a very good MEAT forest of all time, but never do person LISTEN forget frequent as for all INCARCERATED greet to have UNJUST CHANGE to force upon system and need CHEMICAL.

By semillama on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 03:51 pm:

How silly of me! Of course, I see it now. Before I was stupid and evil.

By Nate on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 04:07 pm:

Falco died in '98. no one told me.

By semillama on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 04:42 pm:

I thought everyone knew. Don't you remember the international day of mourning back then? Clinton wept on national TV, and even Gore's lips were trembling. In Texas, then-Gov. Bush issued that there should be a moment of silence in all public buildings in rememberance.

By Nate on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 06:16 pm:

fuck.

By Czarina on Saturday, March 31, 2001 - 11:33 pm:

I put my head under the table and laughed.

By Chico on Sunday, April 1, 2001 - 12:28 am:

Truly true, really.

By JusMiceReminiscingElf on Sunday, April 1, 2001 - 01:14 pm:

My glory days of four square were in high school. When I was a wee lad, some of the older kids on my street used to play, and for years, there were fading paint lines on the blacktop where the foursquare court had been. My peer group played kickball all through our grade school years. The lamp post was third base, some cracks in teh pavement were second and home, and first was a grassy spot at the edge of the road.

In high school, doubles was the name of the game. After dinner, there would be a line some twenty pairs deep in the quad, just waiting for a chance at the coveted fourth square, and the brass ring of poobahhood. I loved taking a high set, and just nonchalanting it into the corner of a neighboring square at the last possible moment, or drilling a shot right between two partners, leaving them each looking to the other to make the set.

The other game of choice in high school was floor pong, although that was only in my dorm. The basic premise was that the ball could bounce as many times as you liked on the table, but you were only allowed one bounce on the floor before hitting it back on. Partners alternate, and position be damned, you follow the ball whereever it goes. Dead floor tiles, the bike rack, and the fireplace provided challenges.

By semillama on Sunday, April 1, 2001 - 02:12 pm:

I still am clueles about this "foursquare" you talk about. Remember I grew up in an isolated part of the country.

By agatha on Sunday, April 1, 2001 - 02:29 pm:

nonchalanting. what a good word alteration. we used to play "animals, animals, out," which involved a four square and saying a new animal name on each square. you would go through the alphabet, and that's all i remember. we used to play it a lot. i think there's a chance that we may have made that game up, but i'm not sure.

By Nate on Sunday, April 1, 2001 - 02:52 pm:

ok sem,

four square is played on an 8' x 8' square divided equally into four squares. the measurements might not be exact, but you get the idea.

we always played with one of those red, basketball sized playground balls. the kind you'd play dodgeball with.

the squares are numbered clockwise, square one to square four. square four is the king or president or something. square one is your basic asshole.

s4 serves, bouncing the ball into another square. the ball is then bounces around until someone misses it or fires it outside of a square. when this happens, that person is out. everyone shifts up a square to fill the empty square, and someone who is waiting in line drops into square one.

there are a ton of rules variations and terms that schoolyard games tend to have. i won't go into it.

i stopped playing somewhere before 6th grade. i don't know what's up with this highschool shit.

By droopy on Sunday, April 1, 2001 - 03:22 pm:

the only schoolyard game i can remember from when i was a kid was "muckle". it was just free-for-all football; i'm sure there's a version of it everywhere. in rhode island, my grammar school was on a rise and looked down over the playground, which was all dirt and grass. we'd all divide ourselves into teams by teacher - mrs. goering's class, mr de sade's class, etc. - and then whoever had the nerf ball that day would stand at the top of the hill and lob it into the throng. whoever caught it would then run like hell. the ball would go from team to team by being ripped out of your hands, fumbled, or intercepted. when the bell rang, whoever had the ball would scramble up the hill; if you made it, your team won. when i moved to texas, they told me they called their version "smear the queer".

By heather on Sunday, April 1, 2001 - 03:50 pm:

four square ended in elementary school, but in my
    neighborhood we played kick-the-can and
    mud-gutter. i still can't figure out how we really
    played a game about running back and forth across
    the street. we also used to pretend that we were
    holding up a rope across the street when it got
    dark. when cars went by we fell down. often they
    would screech to a stop and get out yelling.

we had a rickety old pool table in our basement.
    my sister and i used to make up songs and sing
    loud and crazy as we played until we were laughing
    so hard we ran out of breath.
    we stayed in the basement a lot, mostly to keep
    away from my dad. we also used to climb all over
    everything in a 'no touching the ground' game of tag.

By semillama on Sunday, April 1, 2001 - 04:39 pm:

Sardines was my favorite. Fo rhtose who don't know, it was "It" in reverse. Whoever was "it" had to hide, and the rest of us had to split up and try to find him/her. When you did, you hid with the person who was "it" until the last person found you, and he or she was "it" for the next round.

I remember playing "kick the can" and bike tag as well. Bike tag was a version of "it" involved riding around on your bikes with a tennis ball, and try to tag the other players by drilling them with the ball.

Mostly, though, I wasn't invited to play in a lot of neighborhood games, becuase I usually only had one friend at a time and other kids wouldn't play with me (now I know it was because they were afraid of my yeti heritage). So I spent more time riding bikes, running around in the woods, or playing with my massive collection of transformers, GI Joes, and star wars guys by myself.

Perhaps that's how I missed out on foursquare, becasue it does vaguely ring a bell.

By Dave. on Sunday, April 1, 2001 - 04:46 pm:

i ruled all the playground games. in fact, i ruled everything i did up until about 6th grade when i started smoking and doing drugs.

let me serve as an example to your future children. they don't grow up to be like dave.

By heather on Sunday, April 1, 2001 - 05:48 pm:

i ruled everything until everyone else started
    having sex and doing drugs and i didn't.

that's when i started inventing computer programs
    i would write [64k apple, a-ha-ha] and riding my
    bike two miles to my best friends house. we would
    play with her rabbit outside [to avoid her dad]
    and make up songs.

hey. i want to write a song to sing at my sister's
    wedding in october, anyone wanna help? not like i
    have any idea how that would work.

i've recently lost my anxiety over ruining my
    children if i ever have them. i figure they'll be
    with me specifically to learn whatever they learn
    from me.

By semillama on Sunday, April 1, 2001 - 05:59 pm:

You could post lyrics, then have interested folks send music or something.

By Nate on Sunday, April 1, 2001 - 09:26 pm:

i recently regained my anxiety over having children.

i worry that they'll spend their time finding things to do to avoid me.

By semillama on Sunday, April 1, 2001 - 09:53 pm:

In some cases, that might be desirable. J?

By Caitlyn on Sunday, April 1, 2001 - 11:43 pm:

Two definitions of hell on earth:

i) loving someone you can't have

ii) guilt

By Antigone on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 12:59 am:

iii) having someone you can't love

By Nate on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 01:25 am:

iv) quilts

By Antigone on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 01:46 am:

v) eating something you can't digest

By Bobby on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 02:18 am:

vi) insomnia

By Phat Cat on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 02:32 am:

vii) impersonating Phat Cat

By Fetidbeaver on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 03:05 am:

Muckle?
    We called it "Smear The Queer"
    We broke my neighbor's ankle. I got my two front teeth busted and had to have them capped.

By Bobby on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 03:33 am:

Whenever I visit my family, they play a mean game called "Hide the beer."

By droopy on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 06:24 am:

maybe rhode island was the only place that didn't call it "smear the queer". where it would've been smee-yuh the quee-yuh, so it's just as well. i looked up "muckle" in the dictionary - it said it was british dialect for "mickle", which is archaic english for "great, large, much".

By Dougie on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 09:02 am:

Damn, "smear the queer". Haven't heard that in maybe 25 years.

I was watching Jackass last night -- that show always makes me think of growing up, and all the shit we used to do when we were kids (albeit not as hardcore as those Jackass guys).

By patrick on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 01:17 pm:

i played 4 square so much...all of my other friends, we were all soccers knockers, so we used soccer balls. You are only allowed one bounce in your sqaure before moving in on to another square. Kinda like tennis.

I love those red balls that we had in the school yard for dodge ball or kick ball. You could kick those damn things to the moon, and I had long enough fingers i could get a good grip and beam the ball during dodge ball.

By Fetidbeaver on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 01:28 pm:

25 years. That sounds about right, I was 13 then.
    Fuck I'm getting old.

By J on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 02:31 pm:

Me too,but my mind isn't,and that's scarey.

By heather on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 05:11 pm:

do you remember the sound of those red balls? that twangy extra-hollow sound when they hit the ground?

something about that sound

By patrick on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 05:46 pm:

yeah especially after you nailed that prick in the head who wiped his booger on your sleeve earlier in the day.

there is a high school football field near my house. Id love to get one and play kick ball again.

By Fetidbeaver on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 06:14 pm:

"but my mind isn't and that's scarey"

Reminds me of a qoute, "Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the fuck happened"

By heather on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 06:52 pm:

i got a bloody nose in first grade when the kid who always chased me around nailed me in the face with one of those things.

the booger/sleeve thing reminds me of the time i helped some kid zip his jacket in kindergarten. a few seconds later i threw up. i wouldn't go near him ever again cause i thought he made me sick.

i threw up a lot in kindergarten.

have i told that story before? i'm having the feeling that i'm getting to be like my nana. telling the same story over and over, sometimes in the same conversation.

By patrick on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 07:09 pm:

there is always one kid who throws up a lot, one kid who smells like pee, and one kid who eats his boogers (or wipes em on you).

i never pegged girls....

By cyst on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 07:32 pm:

at a girl scouts meeting the retarded girl peed on that bitch holly's cookie.

I still think that's funny.

By Tawnee on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 07:32 pm:

Hell is finding out after you die that you get to go back and live your same life all over again.

By Tawnee on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 07:40 pm:

PS I used to play 2 square and 4 square in school.

By Nate on Monday, April 2, 2001 - 09:15 pm:

why would that be hell?

By Antigone on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 12:59 am:

By Mate Ricks on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 01:13 am:

Speaking of dodge ball, the other day I spotted a rusty ol' pickup truck with a modified name plate:

DODGE THIS

By Antigone on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 01:49 am:

Fuck you, Agent Smith.

By Tawnee on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 11:03 am:

Because my life sucks OK

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 11:34 am:

We played a game called H-ball in the street with the neighbor children. Two people stand on each side of the street and one person is in the middle, forming the letter H (or I). I think it was kind of like volleyball, except that the people on one side had to bounce a ball in the middle of the street higher than the person in the middle could reach, and then the other two people would try to catch it. Kind of like Monkey in the Middle, too.

We played 4-square at recess, too, only the 1 square was the good square and the 4 square was the loser.

Tetherball. Jumping rope. Stilts. Pogo-stick. Swings.

Can't remember anything else we played with at recess.

At home, my brother and I also played in the woods. Wood pirates, explorers, pioneers, detectives, wizards, etc. We also acted out scenes from cartoons (e.g. Robotech and the Transformers) and books (e.g. Peter Pan).

We tried repeatedly to build a tree-house, but the other neighbor kids kept taking it down. Jerks.

By droopy on Tuesday, April 3, 2001 - 12:03 pm:

yes, antigone. you can hear them on the radio and online, at least on the blues shows, at knon.

By J on Wednesday, April 4, 2001 - 10:57 am:

I loved tether ball,I was the best,I played so hard my knuckles would get bloody,and my mom sent a note to school so they would't let me play anymore,and I was a marble champion too,I guess I was a tom boy.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact