It fucking snowed

sorabji.com: Sex: It fucking snowed
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Nate on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 01:27 pm:

Yesterday I was snowed in without power.

Now, Sem, I know this probably happens all of the time in whackmeoff, WI, but this is the first time in 40 years we've had snow that stuck to the ground.

i live at about 550-600 feet above sea level.

we had 4 inches of snow. i built a snowman with A. i took pictures. a tree fell into the creek.

there are three roads out of where i live. one to santa cruz, one to saratoga and one to los gatos. they were all blocked.

power was out. power is still out.

my water heater is electric. it was very cold in the shower this morning.

i kept the fire going all day yesterday. we read books until the light was too dim. we lit candles and ate vicodin and played gin and smoked weed and went to bed just before 9pm.

we talked for hours before drifting off into vicodin dreams. dreams of vast spaces lined with brilliant green redwoods. snow traveling sideways through the air. microscopic bits and beasties traveling sideways through the ether. three dimensions folding and shifting, interplanar origami. floating above chasms, dream induced vertigo body spasms.

By semillama on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 02:23 pm:

I barely bust out the shovel for four inches.

Now that I am moving out of the snow belt, I am afraid I will turn into a snow-wussy.

I stayed overnight Firday in a woodstove heated house. That was cold, except for the room with the woodstove, which was nice and toasty. There is nothing like a wood fire when the snow is flying. Before I could pull into the driveway, though, We had to shovel it out. It was only the fluffy snow, however, so it didn't take more than a half-hour. When the plow came by in the moring, we had to shovel it again, but this time it was all compacted and hard to move. Luckily, we had the snow scoop.

I may have to scan a photo for you of how yoopers move snow.

By Platypus on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 02:28 pm:

It snowed all through California, even up here, where it almost never snows. And the radio was all excited..."Three inches of snow on Highway 20 today folks, better bring chains." Please. I want at least a foot before I gvet excited.

Our power's been out for a week or so now, I wouldn't really have noticed if the snow affected it or not.

By semillama on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 02:47 pm:

Here, this is what we do with the snow in my home town.

By Platypus on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 02:48 pm:

Yee haw!

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 03:31 pm:

i want to live in the snow belt. I want to live in the Yukon or Greenland or Lapland or...

The other day it snowed a little tiny bit...made the street a bit wet, but not icy, no accumulation...and schools in the county were delayed two hours. I made it to work early because no one was on the road, like, they all stayed home or something. Snow-wussies is right!

By pez on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 03:40 pm:

it sorta snowed on saturday. didn't stick. too wet. as usual.

the nice part is that the wind stopped blowing. i no longer need to wear three shirts to school.

By Hal on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 03:47 pm:

I think thats fucking hilarious... I saw it on the news last night, how horrible of a snow storm calirfornia got yesterday, and oh my how there was so much snow... It was a cali broadcast so I guess it was even funnier when they said, and the mountain range (? I wasn't paying that close attention.) got almost 3 feet of snow... WHOOPTYFUCKINGDO, we got 5 feet of snow four days ago... And that isn't even close to the mountain.

Hey I got a question, did they close down schools for the 4 inches of snow you got? Please say yes and proove my theory.

By Dougie on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 03:51 pm:

The thing I love here is that each "news" channel has its own "snowteam" weatherpeople. When it's snowing, they'll cut from NYC to Westchester to CT to LI to NJ, just to see what the snow looks like in each of the tri-state areas.

By TBone on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 04:28 pm:

That's incredible, sem. The best we have is a very well-maintained Jabba the Hut on a lawn near campus. It's huge. Beer bottles for eyes.

They had the jeeps with plows on the front today pushing snow all over campus. I'm amazed they don't kill more students. I swear one was chasing me. There are these funny narrow little trails in the snow where everyone walks on the un-paved (and thus, unplowed) areas. Next time we get a good foot or more overnight, App and I are going to get up early and make little windy trails all over and watch people follow them.

By Nate on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 04:51 pm:

i don't know that they closed schools. it didn't snow in the more populated areas.

i couldn't get to work because i have to go up before i can go down again. up higher it snowed more.

and the trees.

4" at 550' above sea level less than 5 miles from the sea is pretty odd in CA.

By semillama on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 04:57 pm:

No one is disputing that.

Can't say the same about GLOATING, though.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

I fucking love snow. Even when I hate it, I love it. It can be such a reminder to us in our safe little modern world that it wasn't too long ago that the weather was a major casue of death, and that weather still remains a challenge to us as individuals - can I make it through this storm? DO I have enough firewood? Where did I put the batteries? What will we do if the beer store is closed?

By sarah on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 05:13 pm:

beautiful. absolutely enchanting, nate. it's stories and events like these that remind me of all the good and right reasons to want to be in a relationship, of why i keep bothering, caring, pursuing, yearning.

that, and vicodin. i have some leftover from surgery...

By The Watcher on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 06:16 pm:

Here where I live we get snow occassionally during the year. Then everyone panics and runs to the grocery store.

And, you should see how they drive in it. Or, don't as the case maybe.

We don't do very well with snow. However, I must admit we usually get the wet, slippery, heavy, icey kind when it comes.

By Nate on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 08:27 pm:

yesterday's snow was beautiful. big, soft pillow fight flakes.

i don't like snow. it's cold and wet.

i didn't mind yesterday, though.

By Hal on Tuesday, February 13, 2001 - 08:52 pm:

Nate...What kind of car do you drive?

By Jack frost on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 01:41 am:

screwed a snowman once. froze my whanger off.

By Antigone on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 02:46 am:

Nate, what kind of shirts do you wear?

By sarah on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 11:10 am:

Nate, what kind of toothpaste do you use?

By Platypus on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 12:13 pm:

Actually, they did cancel school, it was pretty funny. Especially the news broadcast. "The danger of snow on the _sides_ of the road has caused us to cancel school today."
    I was not impressed with the snow. The real problem here is black ice, which there was a lot of this morning--my car almost went off the road. The snow is no big deal, although the headline on the local newspaper was all about the "devastating" "snowstorm." What a bunch of shit. Snow isn't snow until there's at least three feet of it. I care a lot more about the black ice, because it's a real risk that a lot of people don't pay attention to. We lose a lot of tourists that way because people have either never heard of it or they dismiss it.

By semillama on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 12:31 pm:

Black ice is the worst. I can drive on it, but the problem is that not many others can who try anyway, and then they drive like it's a sunny day in July. Fuckers.

Still, I actually haven't seen as many fools in ditches as I usually do this year, even with all the freezing rain we've been getting.

By sarah on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 12:55 pm:

it's been cold and rainy and very windy here for days and days now. it's our only season and it only lasts a few weeks, but after a few days everyone gets really cranky. except me. even my cats won't go outside anymore and they're flipping out.

By Nate on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 01:11 pm:

ford ranger
    clean
    crest

where are you Platypus ?

By Platypus on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 02:04 pm:

Right below the Lost Coast.

By Antigone on Wednesday, February 14, 2001 - 02:51 pm:

Black Ice... Didn't Pam Grier star in that?

By Hal on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 01:15 am:

Places like that should have schools for people who don't know how to drive on ice. I drive a car that is back heavy and rear wheel drive, lets just say it likes to slide alot on ice. I've gotten to the point that I can control a slide and have fun with it at the same time. Hell I've stopped backing up to the space in front of my house, I just spin the car and slide sideways into it.

By TBone on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 12:31 pm:

We just got hit by a major cold front. I can see nothing but white out my window. The wind is crazy. There are warnings of wind-chill down to -40 tonight. I'd REALLY rather not go to work...

By dave. on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 01:09 pm:

we were supposed to get a cold front. it's warmer today than it was yesterday. i'm bummed.

By patrick on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 01:17 pm:

Platypus = isolde ???????

as I said before we got 4ft+ up at big bear. it was absolutely gorgeous. It pretty much snowed nonstop. I got chains, or rather cables that worked well. We didn't spin out once!

Unfotunately, due to the heavy precipitation, our hiking plans were shat on, so we spent a lot of time at Murrays's tavern, made local friends over $1 drafts, played darts and passed out in the jacuzzi.

By semillama on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 01:27 pm:

I thought Isolde was out in Vermont.

Which sounds a little like Wermacht.

I don't know where that came from.

Anyway, got your package, Isolde. The polish holy kid was beheaded en route, but I like the manatee.

By sarah on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 01:33 pm:

i ate vicodin last night. i started with a half and 45 minutes later ate the other half. and oh my, i'd forgotten how wonderful that stuff is. i remember why i chose to hide it on myself, at the bottom of my underwear drawer of all places. that stuff really takes you to a special place. i slept last night like i haven't slept in weeks. i woke up not panicking and not at 4:30 in the morning, either.

By patrick on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 01:37 pm:

every chick hides her stash in her underwear drawer. the wife' packs a bud in tin foil there everytime.

isolde said a while back she found a house in NoCal . Who knows what up with her.

i suspect weirdness based on some of the cryptic messages she posted last

By sarah on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 01:56 pm:

"The polish holy kid was beheaded en route, but I like the manatee." now there's a sentence you don't hear every day. jeezis, only in sorabjiiland. hilarious.

By semillama on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 03:38 pm:

The best part is that none of this shit is made up.

I had forgotten about the NoCal land deal.

By Cat on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 04:50 pm:

The best part for me is always when everyone goes home and I can run around here naked, singing ABBA songs loudly, causing untold trouble.

Did you know "adz" is actually a word? I did.

By patrick on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 05:05 pm:

actually even better is the notion that you harbor that you are alone......birthmarks and all.

By droopy on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 05:28 pm:

i know what an adz is. i used to deal in old tools.

do you know what a froe is?

By Cat on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 05:50 pm:

A frau who went back and fro a few too many times?

By droopy on Thursday, February 15, 2001 - 06:09 pm:

actually, using a froe involves grabbing a large rod and whacking it.

By dave. on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 09:57 am:

well, i'll be damned. it fucking snowed. 6 to 10 inches of wet snow.

By Nate on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 12:57 pm:

let's all go beat a fucking hippie with a rolled up stack of global warming propaganda!

By patrick on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 01:16 pm:

i watched a BBC report the other day about one particular ice shelf in the antartic that has been documented to be melting. If it continues to melt, it could increase shorelines by 5 meters over a decade, wiping out low lying cities like New Orleans, New York, LA, and devastating poorer low lying countries like Bangladesh.

lets go beat some conservative energy execs in denial!

By Nate on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 03:02 pm:

the greatest polluting industry in the nation is engergy production... because of the fucking hippies and the outcry against safe, clean nuclear power!

we've had at least two ice ages. you can't tell me that earth's temp isn't naturally cyclical

By patrick on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 03:12 pm:

but pollution from our cars and energy production is aiding warming. im not denying it's cyclic, but we don't need to be speeding the process up.

i saw some funny shit recently......the recently abrupted talks in the Hague about global warming, where the US rep had a pie put in his face.

By Nate on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 03:43 pm:

i fully support anything natural process that will wash LA away.

By Nate on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 03:46 pm:

actually, i retract that.

i need to change my attitude about soCal.

we'd be a much stronger state if we got over the rift between the north and south. i read/heard something recently (who knows where) in which someone was hypothisizing that the NY run media is maintaining the north/south friction in california.

which makes some sense. next to a united california cultural front NY city would look like buttfuck, nebraska.

By Antigone on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 03:48 pm:

Nate, isn't that the funniest paradox of all? The ruin of nuclear power by environmentalist paranoia is helping to bring on global warming faster.

But I hope you're not part of the "global warming doesn't exist" crowd. There's overwhelming evidence that there's been a STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT upward spike in global temperature over the past 50 years. :-) Roll that up and smoke it, bubba.

By Nate on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 03:57 pm:

heh.

i agree that global warming exists. i've seen the data on the <randolf?> shelf in antartica. i kind of doubt we've had a huge effect on it. maybe.

we've only been recording temperatures for what, 100 years? 150? global temperature is obviously cyclical. there is evidence that at least one of the ice ages was brought on rapidly.

how can 50 years of data be signifgant when you're dealing with 1000+ year cycles? especially when your 50 years of data is 33-50% of your total data?

By patrick on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 03:59 pm:

i've seen some great artwork to come from the SoCal vs. NoCal debate. It's very clear you guys have bigger sticks in your ass. We( i say "we", but i don't really side with either) are just arrogant, Roman-esq, irrevrent peeps who think your constant criticism silly.

NoCal always has to bitch about something.

By Nate on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 04:02 pm:

i guess the point was that if we weren't socal vs nocal, we could be cal vs usa.

and, you know, win.

By patrick on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 04:04 pm:

ok!

what would be our main weapon of assualt?

guac?

By Nate on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 04:07 pm:

dope.

By Antigone on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 04:18 pm:

We've only been directly measuring temperature for 150 years, but there are a myriad of ways of estimating temperatures that go back hundreds to thousands of years: tree rings and ice cores are two I know of off hand. Both of these methods are possible because we do have 150 years of direct temperature measurement as a basis for comparison.

By Rhiannon on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 04:32 pm:

Did any of you ever see the really, really cool PBS special on the giant Krakatoa eruption circa 500 AD that blocked the sun for several years and contributed to all sorts of cultural and biological upheavals the world around? There's a book about this called "Catastrophe: A Quest for the Origins of the Modern World" by David Keys.

This is the link to buy the video.

By sarah on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 05:40 pm:

i think global warming and global cooling are natural and cyclical environmental phenomena. human impact on global warming = evolutionary process. so the world is heating up? fig buckin' deal. life goes on, in some form or another.

but please people, recycle.

By sarah on Friday, February 16, 2001 - 05:41 pm:

also: reduce, and reuse.

By pez on Saturday, February 17, 2001 - 04:30 pm:

and don't break mercury thermometers.

By semillama on Saturday, February 17, 2001 - 05:02 pm:

Then drink the stuff.

I am back home in da UP right now. We've had over 15 feet of snow so far in my hometown, but just a little further north on the Keweenaw, ther's been 21 feet. You should see the drifts here, it's crazy and cool. You'd thikn it would never melt, but it always manages to by May.

By The Watcher on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 12:59 pm:

Who was it that said "There are three types of lies. Lies. Damn lies. And, statistics."?

By semillama on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 02:30 pm:

What are you saying?

By Kwoter on Tuesday, February 20, 2001 - 03:02 pm:

Benjamin Disraeli said that. About lies.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact