capri pants

sorabji.com: Weeds: capri pants
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By
Wisper on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 02:45 am:

they are just ugly ...ugly....ugly....

if you want to wear shorts, wear shorts.
    if you want to wear pants, wear pants.
    don't wear capri pants.

when will the pain stop....

By Draven on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 03:07 am:

LOL@Wisper.....I agree they are ugly...specially the short girls who wear them. Just looks like they're wearing shorts too big for them. I don't know what would possess someone to wear those. I don't think it's cause they think it looks good on them because I have yet to see anyone make them look good. I think it's just the cool and trendy thing to do. Monkee see....monkee do!!!!

By J on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 03:37 am:

I feel your pain,but I never could wear womans pants anyway,I got a bad mix in body proportion.

By R.C. on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 03:12 pm:

Oooohh -- I LOVE capri pants! But they've gotta fit nice & snug. I'm 5'9" & Ive got a bodacious butt. A pr. of nice black silk shantung capri's w/princess heel sandals & a jewel-colored cotton twinset is my idea of the perfect outfit for a nite on the town.

By J on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 03:23 pm:

R.C.,you must be long waisted how else can you wear womans pants?You got an inch over me,and I,ve never been able to wear them.

By Rhiannon on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 03:23 pm:

You know, as a short girl, I'm quite fed up with the whole laundry list of things we can't wear. We can't wear short skirts cuz then our legs look short. We can't wear knee-length skirts cuz then our legs look short. We can't wear capris cuz then our legs look short. We can't wear ankle-length skirts cuz then we look short all over. We can't wear big poofy party dresses to things like the prom cuz then we look like tea cozies.

Babes, my legs ARE short. I've dealt with it, you should too. Bring on the capris!

By Droopy on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 06:00 pm:

A girl who looks like a tea cozy.

I like that.

By R.C. on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 06:09 pm:

I've only found 1 pr. of capri pants that fit right. (Unfortunately/they're just plain kakhis/not black shantung.) I bought them off a + size rack at a second-hand store for $2.00 & had my mom take them in. They've even got the little split at the bottom/which I love.

And short chicks CAN wear capris. And esp. minis. So long as they're long-legged shorties & not too short-waisted.

Long, slim skirts & sarongs look great on short girls. It's the loose, flowing long skirts that they tend to get lost in.

The main thing to remember when you're short & going for long skirts (which I prefer to pants) etc. is to bare yr midriff/which makes yr waist took longer. Altho' you might not be able to get away w/that at work. Getting a really well-made men's button-down white shirt & tying it at the waist also works well w/capris & long skirts.

And it helps to have a 6-pk.

By Rhiannon on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 06:48 pm:

I'm short-legged AND short-waisted. Everyone else in my family is tall, so I think that I was supposed to be tall, too, only I got smooshed in the womb.

Long, slim skirts look all right on me, but I find them hard to walk in (I have to take little baby steps), so I don't have too many of those. I wear the ones I have with just solid-color v-neck t-shirts. I'm not too comfortable with the midriff-bearing idea, because besides not having a 6-pack, I'm also very pale and I don't want to frighten anyone with my white stomach. And bikinis make me extremely self-conscious, so the stomach will always be white.

I've found that the one style of clothing that I can pull off with grace are short empire-waisted dresses. I have this awesome dress like that: white linen with bell sleeves and these little strips of crepe under the arms connected to the waist, folded accordion-style, that look like wings when I raise my arms. I got it at a second-hand shop. I wear it with white kid slippers and a bow in my hair, and I get lots of "you look like a porcelain doll" compliments. So looking like an overdeveloped twelve-year-old (in the words of my sister) can have its advantages!

Speaking of which...I was in the same second-hand shop last week and I saw a maternity dress for sale. Get this: It was basically a white cotton blouse with a yellow pinafore over it (like in Alice in Wonderland). The blouse had big puffy sleeves and a Peter Pan collar. The pinafore was yellow gingham, with big black buttons where the straps met the bodice part. It had a rather tight empire waist and reached to the floor (on me, because I had to try it on!), with a large ruffled hem. It looked literally like a dress for a life-sized baby doll. But it was a maternity dress! (The label said A Pea in the Pod). It looked practically obscene on me, and I'm not even pregnant! I almost bought it, just for the shock value, but it was $60. And where would I ever wear anything like that?

By Rhiannon on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 06:50 pm:

P.S. *belatedly laughing out loud at R.C.'s "bodacious butt" description*

By R.C. on Monday, July 5, 1999 - 07:18 pm:

See, I can't wear empire waists w/out looking like a total geek. I'm too tall for that. "A Pea in the Pod' is a high-end maternity line/so $60 was a good price/even second-hand.

Generally/at home/all I sport are leggings & a t-shirt when it's cool out/or big jams-type shorts w/oversized-shirts knotted in the back or the front. (Okay/I admit it -- I dress like a teenager.) Or long flowing dresses or skirts w/shirts knotted in the back. And I don't have an 6-pk. either.

And for work/it's strictly linen pants or kakhi's w/ cotton shells or twinsets. With the occasional Indian silk blouse mixed in for variety. The most boring wardrobe in the western hemisphere. But I'm all abt comfort/1st & foremost. And I have a pretty sizable shoe collection. Altho' I carry the same black Coach bag day after day.

Actually/ I have lots of 'date clothes'/but no one to wear them for.

It's too hot here for tryin' to be cute.

By Cyst on Tuesday, July 6, 1999 - 05:08 am:

too tall for empire waists? I love empire-waist baby-doll mini-dresses, even if my legs look like the go on forever underneath them. or maybe I just think geeky is good.

I also love drop-waists, of which I have only one, a loose summery natural-colored linen dress.

what I really want is a box-pleat miniskirt. or even a regular pleated miniskirt. could someone please convince the fashion gods to bring the plaid miniskirt back into style? I would love to wear red plaid with gray tights and black mary janes, maybe a fitted white blouse or a tight black sweater or something. I would be much happier about the start of fall if I had that in my closet.

it's cold and gray in paris and I've been wearing jeans and sweatshirts, but I bought my ticket to spain. just one more week here.

By Cyst on Tuesday, July 6, 1999 - 05:11 am:

I've acquired lots of date clothes lately, too. little itty-bitty shiny dresses. where the fuck am I going to wear them? I'll need to convince my friends to throw more parties. I can't have my own because too many of my friends clash (for instance, my roommate is the ex-wife of one of my best friends -- that sort of thing).

By Manly Gee on Tuesday, July 6, 1999 - 03:21 pm:

I am so freaking lost in this conversation. I have no idea what empire dresses, skirts knotted in the back or twinsets are. I know what capri's are, but only cuz they're the fad this season.

Every day I realize more and more that I truly am a freak of nature. It's not the joke it used to be. I think I have a bizzarly boyish mentality.

Today I saw Scott Thompson (sp?) on Open Mike and I thought "Wow, I wish I were a boy so I could go out with him!"

By Wisper on Tuesday, July 6, 1999 - 03:43 pm:

oh yes....as long as he promised to stay in charater as Buddy Cole the whole time we were going out.....oh yes...

By Markus on Tuesday, July 6, 1999 - 05:13 pm:

A red plaid miniskirt with fitted white blouse. Oh. My. God.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, July 6, 1999 - 05:59 pm:

An empire-waisted (pronounced "ahmpeer" if you're in the know) dress is a dress whose waistline reaches right under the breasts. There's usually a tie-string or a distinct strip of material that hugs your ribs, and then the skirt just hangs loose (if the material's loose like cotton) or flares out (if the material's stiff like linen). They can be short or long. They were popular in the early 1800s, and can be seen in action in any Jane Austen adaptation movie. They look very good on short girls. Just so you know.

Twinsets are a shirt/light sweater combination, usually of the same color or print, and knit cotton material. So the shirt is fitted, and the sweater (a cardigan) is worn over it, and the whole thing is light enough to wear in mild weather.

Skirts knotted at the back are just that: wrap skirts whose ends tie in the back.

Why is it that the Catholic school-girl fantasy is so popular among men? Is it the uniform? Is it the idea that on the surface they're supposed to look so virginal and yet the hope is that they're debauched on the inside? *tsk* That's so trite.

By R.C. on Tuesday, July 6, 1999 - 07:39 pm:

Sorry - I meant SHIRTS knotted in the back. As in tee's or Indian silk blouses (not the button- down kind)/tied in a knot behind yr waist.

The only skirts I knot are true sarongs. Becuz they're nothing but a big piece of fabric you tie round yr waist.

By Gee on Wednesday, July 7, 1999 - 05:13 am:

Oh. In that case, I really dig those empire thingums. When I was really little, I used to design crappy dresses, and my dream dress had that style to it. It was the only thing I "designed" that I still like. Someday I need to learn to sew, so I can whip it up.

By Waffleboy on Wednesday, July 7, 1999 - 06:38 pm:

i will tell ya what is worse and a friend of mine has one, I forgot exactly what the hell it is called but it's like a cardigan, minus the front and back. Basically it's a a pair of sleeves for both your arms to fit in and it covers your shoulders and arms, your back is open and there is nothing in the front, how retarded and silly looking is that?????

By R.C. on Wednesday, July 7, 1999 - 08:05 pm:

Do you mean a bolero?

By Cyst on Thursday, July 8, 1999 - 03:27 am:

hey, I saw those in a british vogue at the airport. they are dumb-looking! the article said they were good for women with fat or pimply arms.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, July 8, 1999 - 11:39 am:

Or for real skinny girls who get cold easily but who still want to be seen wearing a sleeveless shirt. They're called shrugs. They're hideous.

By Gee on Thursday, July 8, 1999 - 11:44 am:

I like those things.

By Rhiannon on Thursday, July 8, 1999 - 11:54 am:

Oh, how could you?! They make you look like your arms have been devoured by two giant caterpillars. Besides, Fiona Apple wears them. Enough said!

By Waffles on Thursday, July 8, 1999 - 12:34 pm:

thanks......I thought for sure i would have the fashion police on my side with that one....silly silly silly shit,

By Wisper on Thursday, July 8, 1999 - 02:48 pm:

I've got it.
    We'll take the shrugs and sew them onto the bottom of all the capri pants.

By J on Friday, July 9, 1999 - 05:43 pm:

That would work!!!

By Gee on Saturday, July 10, 1999 - 01:38 am:

I think they're cute.

I also think Fiona Apple is creepy, but there's something about her that I'm drawn to. I have no idea what it is. I like her.

By MoonUnit on Saturday, July 10, 1999 - 06:31 am:

Shes got creepy eyes

By Lucy Phurre on Monday, July 12, 1999 - 03:51 pm:

I saw capri pants in the window of a store.
    They made the mannequin look fat.
    Not for me.

By Jenny the silly wren on Wednesday, July 14, 1999 - 02:08 pm:

I like capri pants. All the boys at my school are always like "oh, stupid capri pants!!! GRR" but i've had quite a few people compliment one pair i have... silvery grey, shiney, nice. Form-fitting. No pockets. They're really nice. Capri pants are nice for girls with really long legs (like me). This is my motto: 'whatever blows your pant leg up' (pun intended)

By Jenny wren on Wednesday, July 14, 1999 - 02:22 pm:

By Jen on Wednesday, July 14, 1999 - 02:23 pm:

Well, that didn't turn out quite right, did it. :(

By Waffleboy on Wednesday, July 14, 1999 - 02:54 pm:

no apparently we are forbidden

By Markus on Thursday, July 15, 1999 - 07:11 pm:

If you really want to see this anorexic death chick, follow the directions implied in the errmsg; i.e., go to the main page, and then hit the Fiona Apple link. She does have huge freakin' eyes, though.

By J on Friday, July 16, 1999 - 10:42 am:

I just remember seeing her get a award on M.T.V.,she accepted and was trying to sound real profound and what she said didn,t mean shit to a tree.

By Rhiannon on Friday, July 16, 1999 - 11:00 am:

That's why I hate her. She's so freakin'
    pretentious. Her music's all right, but the
    attitude that comes with the package needs to be
    returned. For God's sake, girl, get over
    yourself.

I like that phrase "didn't mean shit to a tree."
    I'll have to use that in a conversation soon.

By J on Friday, July 16, 1999 - 01:25 pm:

It,s from an old Jefferson Airplae song.And you are right about that Fiona.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact