mullets

sorabji.com: Weeds: mullets
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By MoonUnit on Sunday, August 8, 1999 - 01:50 am:

Before the strip club thing (check the wayd) we had the pleasure of going to this club that was full of guys with mullets. (short hair on top, long at the back). I saw one cute guy that would of been do-a-ble back in the days when I loved long hair on males. But the rest. Na.

It was scary.

By Semillama on Sunday, August 8, 1999 - 11:10 am:

My buddy Alamar Binzoba put out a zine called Mullet oeuvre.

He gave this definition of the Mullet:

"One of the many terms for the epic male fashion tragedy of a haircut shortin front, long in back. The mullet wearer, also known as a "mullet", attempts to get the best of both worlds: the short hair in front means they are amember of society, a taxpayer, a citizen, perhaps a PTA member, unlike those damn hippies, queers, and dope smokers. The long hair in back lets the world know that they are rebels, playing by their own rules, dangerous, virile, and rockin'. Although the mullet has diferent meanings in different cultures, it is the official hairdo of the American trailer park."

some synonyms include: Beef Stew, Hockey Hair, SOSLIB (sohirt in sides, long in back) Sokker Rokker, ShLong (short-Long), and Bi-level.

By Bagpuss on Sunday, August 8, 1999 - 05:08 pm:

I'm old enough to remember the Golden Mullet of the mid-eighties.

Short on top, long at the back and a PERM at the bottom. These are worth a hundred points if you're out fishing.

By Semillama on Sunday, August 8, 1999 - 10:38 pm:

How about feathered sides/ or the femullet, crimped?

The grand master of them all has to be the comb-over mullet.

Mullets were mentioned frequently on GvsE tonight, which is shaping up to be quite a cool little show.

especially since they blew up Emmanuel Lewis.

By Waffleboy on Sunday, August 8, 1999 - 10:49 pm:

I once read an article in Grand Royal magazine, a couple of years ago i believe, I don't know if those guys till do the magazine or not...eitherway the article was a riot.....and every now and then you are so fortunate to catch a dude with one...usually I see em in Hllywd of N.Hollywd. They are the one's that keep bands like Ratt, Bang Tango and Motley Crue in business, they are usually drivin their bitchin 85 camero, feather and an aliigator/roach clip hangin from the rear view and with the foo foo haired blond in the passenger seat...............

By MooN on Monday, August 9, 1999 - 06:42 pm:

*shudder* This was bar full of mullets. I can't emphasise enough how scared I was.

And Jules looked totally out of place with her flares and stripy jacket. She was the only person in the bar not wearing black.

By Why nelly why on Tuesday, August 10, 1999 - 12:06 am:

not to change a subject but now that i have learned what mullets are, what is the name for the mail hair arrangement where it's clippered close about halfway up the back and then the top part is long enough to tousle...

and do you see it anywhere but the south, and what does it mean

and that was supposed to be male, but i'm sure i've seen one on a postman

By Waffleboy on Tuesday, August 10, 1999 - 01:05 am:

Persephone?

By Friendly on Tuesday, August 10, 1999 - 01:26 am:

that was a great article. perhaps the best, except for the nuge article. and that bennie and the jets by biz markie was priceless. i've been listening to mark and brian and i was surprised (but not shocked) to find that they both sport very formidable schlongs. i love that whole conformity rebel persona. actually, i hate it but i love hating it.

By Waffleboy on Tuesday, August 10, 1999 - 10:56 am:

mark & brian are homos

By Wisper on Tuesday, August 10, 1999 - 02:18 pm:

my sister has an affinity for mullets (which I didn't know the real name of until now).
    She calls them and the people who sport them "shorty-longbacks", which is hillarious because when she says it, it sounds like some rare species of bird. Try it.
    I have many a memory of driving with her and passing those bitchin 85 cameros and her, screaming as she rolled down the window "shorty-longback! shorty-longback!" she sticks her head out the window: "ROCK ON!!! Whitesnake RULES!!!"
    she has, uhm...problems.
    But then again, the guys always seem too drunk to notice, I mean, they're wearing old Harely t-shirts with the sleeves cut of, for goddsakes.

By Semillama on Tuesday, August 10, 1999 - 06:24 pm:

If your sister is dead serious, then she has problems. If not, she kicks ass.

By Moonit on Wednesday, August 11, 1999 - 12:33 am:

mullet sort of sounds like a bird too. or a sort of fish.

shorty-longbacks sounds like a spider.

your sister rocks.

By Gee on Wednesday, August 11, 1999 - 05:03 am:

When are you people going to notice that I rock too?? (sob) Clods!!

By Wisper on Wednesday, August 11, 1999 - 02:11 pm:

you ROCK, gee!

I tend to picture the wild shorty-longback roaming the jungles of Peru as a kind of dinosaur. Redneck Rampage meets Jurrasic Park.

we also spotted a longy-shortback once. Magestic indeed.

By Nate on Wednesday, August 11, 1999 - 03:21 pm:

a mullet is a fish.

By Semillama on Wednesday, August 11, 1999 - 06:34 pm:

So is Eddie Van Halen.

By Silly on Thursday, August 12, 1999 - 02:37 pm:

His wife looks just like him.

By Markus on Thursday, August 12, 1999 - 03:45 pm:

A mullet is indeed a fish, a fact learned early when our grandfather would call us "mullet for brains" when we did something less than impressive.

The "mailman" haircut referenced above is spotted primarily on young boys with yuppie parents, at least in the Mid-Atlantic. I consider the poodle cut a form of child abuse.

By Moonit on Thursday, August 12, 1999 - 11:23 pm:

I told Jules what your sister does Wisper and she got the giggles (we were at a party) and she yells out "Skid Row forever man!" so I yell out "POISONNNNNNNN" and then we both had to go outside and calm down.

By Semillama on Friday, August 13, 1999 - 02:36 pm:

IF there ever is a sorabji fest, I'll have to teach you all the "ROKLOKZ"(tm) I know. My friend Jake came up with them, and they are handshakes that involve the heavy metal salute ( (index and little fingers up, middle and ring down). Some of them nclude the Dokken Lokken, The Black Sabbath Grabbeth, The Yngwie Malmsteen Lean, and the dreaded Twisted Sister Tittie Twister.

By Rhiannon on Friday, August 13, 1999 - 03:03 pm:

I did some temp work in the warehouse of a
    drug/alcohol rehab center in June...the guys I
    worked with all had mullets, missing teeth, prison
    tattoos, the works. They were awesome. Funny as
    hell. Polite too: my first day there they asked
    if I minded listening to Philly's "rock" station,
    WMMR, because the didn't think I looked like a
    "rocker." By the end of the two weeks, I was
    humming along with Sammy Hagar. Yikes!

My hair is still all one length, luckily.

[Sorry I'm posting so often -- I'm back at the
    d-u-l-l job and need some mental stimulation.]

By Waffleboy on Friday, August 13, 1999 - 03:06 pm:

welcome to my hell Rhiannon

By Rhiannon on Friday, August 13, 1999 - 03:06 pm:

Whoa. Just caught the "dreaded Twisted Sister
    Tittie Twister" phrase. Please don't tell us what
    that is.

By Rhiannon on Friday, August 13, 1999 - 03:11 pm:

What kind of job do you have, W?

By Waffleboy on Friday, August 13, 1999 - 03:17 pm:

i do sales and marketing for publisher. the work load is extremely light. i manage to get my work done in about a 1/4 of the time i am here, daily.

By Rhiannon on Friday, August 13, 1999 - 03:26 pm:

God, that must suck.

Bear with me: a few years ago, i was with a
    friend and her mother, and my friend was
    complaining about her life, and her mother said,
    "hey, you could be like those girls in Bosnia who
    have to dodge bullets and rapists every day," and
    she said, "at least they're not bored."

I say, amen to that (well, sort of). Boredom is
    hell.

Have you thought about leaving?

By Waffleboy on Friday, August 13, 1999 - 03:37 pm:

i think of it daily. Until I can get enough photography exposure and starting getting credits, then I will jump to freelance. However, working for a publisher has it's benefits to an aspiring photography student. for example, i go commission for abook cover that is alomost a done deal. The images are being cleaned up and formatted in the art department no. That will cop a few hundred bucks or more if they use multiple pictures close to a grand, which go right back into my equipment.

what exxactly are you up to that has you watching grass grow

By Rhiannon on Friday, August 13, 1999 - 03:48 pm:

Sounds like it's better that you keep the boredom
    and the job, if it has those kinds of benefits.

It's the same job I had for a week in July. I'm
    subbing for the receptionist in a firm that
    produces infomercials. My duties: collect
    catalog requests and orders (takes 15 minutes max)
    and answer phones. And I get about 20 phone calls
    a day, usually between 11:30-12:00 and 4:30-5:00.
    And I'm all alone in the big lobby at the front of
    the building with no one to talk to except the
    mail guy who passes by the desk once in a while.
    So I spend the day here and writing email and
    trying to look busy. Ack.

Two days this week, two days next week. Then no
    more! They wanted me to come back over Xmas
    break...hah!

Only an hour and ten minutes left!

By J on Friday, August 13, 1999 - 03:48 pm:

I knew a guy in L.A.he did album covers for bands and magazines,he made a good living at it,his name was Sam Emmerson,he was really a sweetie.

By Waffleboy on Friday, August 13, 1999 - 03:58 pm:

Yeah thats kinda what i want to do, working with bands and publishers. I am alittle scared of freelance because irnically you do loose a little freedom. Ideally I want to be regarded as a fine artist in the medium, but it's hard to make a living at that, so some commercial work along the way will help pay the bills.

Rhiannon, well at least you can have the time off. later and next week.

I'll get a couple of days when I go to Vegas in 2 weeks. And when I make my trip up to Big Sur in October.

By Rhiannon on Friday, August 13, 1999 - 04:05 pm:

Ooooh, Big Sur! In October! Oh, lucky dog. Take
    pictures!

Time off: it's funny how quickly the day passes
    when you've got nothing to do at home, but how
    slowly each and every second passes when you've
    got nothing to do while trapped behind a desk. I
    wonder how Einstein would explain that.

By Waffelboy on Friday, August 13, 1999 - 05:10 pm:

yeah I am looking forward to it. There is a Henry Miller museum up there with a bunch of his paintings and other knicknacks. I have only seen pictures of that area, it does look beautiful....plus it's off seaason rates too

By MoonIt on Saturday, August 14, 1999 - 08:09 pm:

Anwyay at the Creed concert last night I saw a few mullets but I yelled WHITESNAKE at them and felt a million times better. (Thanks Wispers sister)

I saw a women with a mullet and I got scared.

Next Friday we're gonna take jamies landrover and go bogan yelling ( a new non-contact *fingers crossed* sport)

woohooo

By Semillama on Sunday, August 15, 1999 - 01:34 pm:

ah, the FeMullet! You get points for sighting one. According to my mullet field guide, the FeMullet is "perfect for an evening of lstening to Melissa Etheridge and drinking Rolling Rock beer."

Try to spot these other types: "The "Fabio" - mullets worn by crooners for the sake of making plastic yuppy women creem their skivvies.

The Mexi-Mullet: A Meix-Mullet is ismply a mullet worn by a chicano dude or any mullet sen at a Taco Bell.

The MahaMullet: Continuing our multicultural theme, the MahaMullet dates back to sects of Vedic mystics. This mullet is said to keep the Kundalini nice and toasty."

By Waffleboy on Monday, August 16, 1999 - 12:30 pm:

"A Mexi-Mullet is simply a mullet worn by a
    chicano dude or any mullet seen at a Taco Bell."

accompanied with the worn Slayer shirt and jean jacket.

By Kalliope on Monday, August 16, 1999 - 01:29 pm:

not all femullets are dykemullets but all dykemullets are femullets.

favorite game? bar sluts.

lets drink shots of burboun and listen to the indigo girls.

By Waffleboy on Monday, August 16, 1999 - 01:34 pm:

kill me now please, well give some whisky first, ok I am ready

By Impatient Gee on Tuesday, August 17, 1999 - 12:27 am:

(tapping foot) so can I kill you Now??

By No on Tuesday, August 17, 1999 - 01:08 pm:

no not you

By Lawanda on Tuesday, August 17, 1999 - 01:18 pm:

Not a single mullet sighted in Canada. Lewiston is full of them. I used to like the style in the 80's, but now it is looking really dated, or as mentioned, a gay-dar signal.

By Wisper on Tuesday, August 17, 1999 - 01:49 pm:

There are mullets in canada. trust me.

Moony:
    whitesnake...poison...parties...femullets...*lol*
    glad I could make someone giggle so far away ;)

Saw the Kiss movie on Friday (it's fucking funny!) not the mullet-fest I was expecting, on screen or off. Couldn't see me in any of the shots, either. But I'm in there, damnit.

ROCK ON!!!!

By Kalliope on Tuesday, August 17, 1999 - 04:00 pm:

i want a mullet and a big johnson tshirt.

that'd be the bomb diggity.

By J on Wednesday, August 18, 1999 - 02:52 pm:

Oh I can,t help it just give me a big Johnson,or a whopper,or tube steak.....that wasn,t me it,s that depraved moron,the checkered demon.

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, November 16, 1999 - 09:27 pm:

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, November 16, 1999 - 09:40 pm:

By Agatha on Wednesday, November 17, 1999 - 02:45 am:

that is some mullet, whoo boy. i haven't seen a mullet that striking in years. from the looks of it, mister neck cape wears it with pride, too.

By Patrick on Wednesday, November 17, 1999 - 12:21 pm:

i think that is beyond the scope of the classic mullet

http://home.att.net/~jt.heyn/

there are some classic mullets here on the home page of the filmakers for Heavy Metal PArking Lot which will be making a national legit video debut soon..(i.e. it will be available at your local ball buster video)

By Patrick on Wednesday, November 17, 1999 - 01:23 pm:

let me reiterate,. they have video clips, I recall when I spoke of this film a while ago few had heard of it much less seen it......it's worth a click

By J on Wednesday, November 17, 1999 - 01:24 pm:

By Purrfidy on Wednesday, November 17, 1999 - 04:34 pm:

Journey was the ultimate Mullet band.

By MoonIt on Wednesday, November 17, 1999 - 09:40 pm:

*lmao* Well i've emailed those round. *shudder*

Our code for spotting a mullet now goes... WOOP WOOP Pullup Pullup... I have no idea why it just came out when drunk and seems to have stayed....

By MoonIt on Wednesday, November 17, 1999 - 09:44 pm:

"8. ultimullet: This mullet is the mullet to end all mullets. I can only imagine the time and care it took this man to grow a mullet of this caliber. Why this
    mullet is in a ponytail, I don't know, perhaps to accentuate the hair on his back eminating from the depths of his t-shirt. Or he could have gone through a metamorhasis which many mullets do during the summer in order do store the mulletude in the actual mullet for the long winter which lies ahead."

Saw the most primo Ultimullet the other day. To his butt, long red curly hair. Man I wish I had a camera.

By hydrozoa on Friday, November 19, 1999 - 01:44 am:

did you see the guy on the second page with the pompadour and white makeup? that guy was amazing. i saved him as my wallpaper.

By Rhiannon on Friday, November 19, 1999 - 08:29 am:

The businessmullet?

By hydrozoa on Friday, November 19, 1999 - 03:51 pm:

that guy was runner-up.

By NZAngel on Saturday, November 20, 1999 - 08:15 pm:

My friend is dating a mullet. She likes him, but he has so far resisted all her hints about haircuts. Short back and sides is her preference.

However, she did manage to stop him wearing speedos.

By moonit on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 02:54 am:

hehe resurect the mullet thread!

By Gee on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 10:06 am:

why would you do this?

I can't believe how INTO the whole chat thing I used to be.

I'm a much cooler geek, nowadays.

By moonit on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 08:52 pm:

Yeah well that club, with the mullets - is now one of my favourite bars. The mullets seem to have left.

By Josh T on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 04:25 am:

The way I see it, Mullet people have style and most are pretty easy to get along with, unlike these short haired politicians that take us to war over nothing, destroy our economy and then pledge we do something to help them out. Those people in your life you can't stand or old flames you wish were dead, probably has/had short hair. Look at the pictures of rapist, murderers, thieves in general, most if not all, have very short hair. Those male bosses you hate, yep they have short hair.

By TBone on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 02:49 pm:

Imagine Gandhi with a long, flowing mullet.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact