Notorious B.I.G.

sorabji.com: Weeds: Notorious B.I.G.
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Pink on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 07:49 am:

Who the hell is B.I.G.? Some ni**ger who's dead. Never heard from him until he was deceased. Never heard a cut from him when he was alive. Just when he's dead. No respect for him, just another ni**er tryin to make it. Oh, every other so-called rapper makes the bucks off of him. Lil' Kim does, Puff Daddy does. I enjoyed watching Sean Combs explaining his fucked up reason for having B.I.G. in his life. Nothin' but ni**er bullshit. Rap is dead, long live the "rappers" dream... gold toofes and cash in yo back pocket. Say hello to the legal system, boooy! We outta here.

By J on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 09:16 am:

Pink,you have been quiet lately,what,s up?

By mistaswine on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 09:41 am:

what's with this "ni**er" shit?

the word is "nigger", bitch.

N-I-G-G-E-R.

if you're gonna put it in your mouth and play with it, you might as well swallow the whole damn load instead of trying to jump off with that half-assed bullshit.

By Patrick on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 12:09 pm:

ummm......I drove by where Biggie was capped.....it's a convention center/car museum and they have this big assed monstor truck strapped to the side of the bldg..........whats with the bug in yer ass pink,

By Lucy Phurre on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 01:12 pm:

'scuse me...
    When even mr. "secret whiteboy handjive" himself has a problem with you, you know you're way the hell over the line.

But I will restate, for anyone who may have missed it, that the sort of shit Pink is trying to peddle emphatically does *not* fly here.

Anyone else know if that's really Pinkeye?
    Doesn't sound like him.

I don't think anything else needs to be said (I'll leave the obvious SubGenius reference to Semillama)

By Patrick on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 01:27 pm:

"'scuse me... When even mr. "secret whiteboy handjive" himself has a problem with you, you know you're way the hell over the line."

will you ever practice what your preach?

just checkin

By Rhiannon on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 01:28 pm:

The IP address for the Pink above is 209.240.200.37.

The IP address for the Pink who started the "word association" thread is 209.240.200.157.

They're both WebTV-based.

Maybe it's Pinkeye's neighbor fooling around.

By J on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 01:57 pm:

Elvis Costello called himself a white nigger in the song OLivers's Army,then I looked the word up and realized I,m a nigger.

By Lucy Phurre on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 02:01 pm:

I am bringing no more "baggage" than you habitually do.
    Turnabout is fair play.

By heather on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 02:15 pm:

Main Entry: nig·ger
    Pronunciation: 'ni-g&r
    Function: noun
    Etymology: alteration of earlier neger, from Middle French negre, from Spanish or Portuguese negro, from negro black, from Latin niger
    Date: 1700
    1 usually offensive, see usage paragraph below : a black person
    2 usually offensive, see usage paragraph below : a member of any dark-skinned race
    3 : a member of a socially disadvantaged class of persons <it's time for somebody to lead all of America's niggers... all the people who feel left out of the political
    process -- Ron Dellums>

By J on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 02:24 pm:

The definition I found didn,t bring up anything about color,it just said it meant a lazy and shiftless person,so I,m one,or as Steve Martin said in the Jerk"Sir,you are talking to a nigger"!

By Patrick on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 02:58 pm:

she had the juggs

By Fed Up Lucy on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 03:57 pm:

I'm not touching you
    I'm not touching you
    I'm not touching you

By Patrick on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 04:15 pm:

ass

thats a steve martin quote you fuck! how many non-lucy posts that do not follow a lucy post (or coincidentally do fall after your posts) do i have to make before you act like a fuckin adult?

would someone verify this bullshit......

By Rhiannon on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 04:24 pm:

Yes.

Dear Lucy and Patrick,

This has become exceedingly tedious. Please conduct all further arguments in private.

Thank you kindly,
    Rhiannon

PS. If anyone would like to express their anger at me for any reason, ever, please do me the courtesy of using my email address.

By Patrick on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 05:11 pm:

perhaps Pink was being tongue and cheek, i can't imagine why of all the things to say, he would post that one thing and then split........

By J on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 05:15 pm:

I don,t think he was trying to be racist or rude,I think he might have thought it pissed people off,but I can,t be sure cause I,m not Pink...he, all good.

By Kymical fool on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 07:05 pm:

all i know is that it would seem that many black people are comfortable with the word nigger.
    i think everyone should be.

me, i can't say it unless i say it in my "gangsta voice"
    pronounced "nig ga"

i said it a lot this weekend, had a party at my "crib". all of my friends tell me that it is fun when kym talks like she is black.

i like playing with this idea. it is just like when people say "cold blimey" or "how you like them apples?"
    you have to do it with the accent. and if you read his post in the "gangsta voice" it is pretty funny.

oh wait, i am a sick fuck. damn.

nevermind, maybe it isn't funny. probably just to me.

By mistaswine on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 07:20 pm:

do you have any black friends?

By semillama on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 07:54 pm:

The obvious subgenius reference: Wow, A Pink who is self-aware! Of his/her/its Pinkness, anyhow. I find it amusing (well, that's one of my reactions, anyway) when some one posts like that, becuae it's painfully obvious to everyone but them how criminally stupid they are.

it's possible that she does not have any black friends, but it's also possible that she has black friends who think it's funny that she talks in a "White" voice and even funnier when she talks in a "Black" voice.

Sorry, spending all day in "analyze" mood does that to ya.

By Agatha on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 09:10 pm:

swine, i love you.

By _____ on Monday, December 6, 1999 - 09:25 pm:

oh swine, i love you too!

anyways, i'm not going to new york because i'm taking the week prior to their visit off so i have to work that week. plus, there's the money thing. what are you getting cleo for xmas? she says she wants a dvd player. or a drumset.

By Gee on Tuesday, December 7, 1999 - 01:34 am:

We all love Swine. If for no other reason than that he hates us all.

In my experience, Pink/PinkEye is an ass.

When I think of the word Nigger, I think of "Gimmie a Break". I was actually just thinking about this the other day and I realized I don't remember it as well as I used to. It was the first time I'd ever heard the word nigger said on TV. One of the girls was mad at Nell, so she convinced Joey Lawrence to dress up in black face for some show he had to do at Nell's church. Later Nell was getting mad at the girl (I think it was the little dark haired one. I remember her face.) and she was saying something about how "that's the first time you've ever called me a NIGGER." I was shocked.

By Kymical on Tuesday, December 7, 1999 - 01:54 am:

i don't have a one.

black people i find think i am stupid tho.

my friend from japan, she likes black men and when we first met she couldn't belive that i couldn't hook her up with any black men.

i am black. there is no stereotype about it i think. i am black by genetics, by heritige.

oddly living in the south the hate really seems to come from the other black people here, not the white people. but maybe i am biased, for i have never been made fun of or hurt physicaly by white people. while many people i have found have been and thus feel strongly.

By J on Tuesday, December 7, 1999 - 02:25 am:

Gee,I don,t think Pink is a racist,I.m sticking up for him,jjust like I did for you,now stop!!! All of you!!!

By R.C. on Tuesday, December 7, 1999 - 06:21 am:

Biggie was very successful & well-know to those who consider themselves part of the hop hop nation. Or even casual fans of rap. I lost my taste for it in the late 80's/so I wdn't consider myself a follower. But if you'd heard of the Red Hot Chili Peppers 3 yrs. ago/you shd have at least heard of Biggie Smalls. Even MTV featured his videos.

He lived the gangsta life & died a gangsta's death. His passing did not particularly sadden or disturb me. Tupac's neither -- altho' I felt Tupac had more talent & a better chance of waking up & getting beyond all the bullshit/if his ticket hadn't been prematurely punched.

Biggie is still big becuz he laid down a lot of tracks that were never released/& Puff Daddy (who apparently owns the publishing rights to all Biggie's shit) continues to realeas his material/ in well-timed doses/in order to capitalize on Biggie's post-mortem hype.

The same way Whitefolks refuse to let Princess Di rest in peace/if they can make a fast buck off of dragging her image before the world yet again.

But you need to take that "Niggah" shit someplace else, Pink. It's not appreciated 'round these parts.

By Patrick on Tuesday, December 7, 1999 - 11:58 am:

RIGHT!!!!!!!!!1

By semillama on Tuesday, December 7, 1999 - 08:57 pm:

All I know is, Biggie must've had something going on, to attract all this attention.

i am more a "Native Tongues" hip hop fan myself. I also like experimental stuff too, but have ahard time knowing where to really start with it. That's oneo f the weaknesses in my music collection - alack of classic r&B/soul and a lack of truly excellent hip-hop. If folks who are still into mix tape exchanges wanna help me out, well, you know how to get in touch.

By Gee on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 12:59 am:

I don't know if Pink is a racist or not, I just think he's an ass, due to past behavior.

I like you, though, J. You're a good girl.

By Rhiannon on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 09:27 am:

Right. Once he broke up for good with that ex-girlfriend, he started getting mean.

By semillama on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 08:41 pm:

plus he lives in wisconsin. That's enough to turn anyone mean.

Wisconsin -The Alabama of the north.

By Moonit on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 09:13 pm:

I love that changes video by Tupac. He looks a lot like my ex man. mmmm

By agatha on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 09:20 pm:

didn't he go out with li'l kim? she's a hottie.

By R.C. on Wednesday, December 8, 1999 - 11:54 pm:

No - he was married to Faith Evans but was fucking around w/Lil' Kim. A divorce was supposedly in the works/but he died before any papers got filed.

Lil' Kim is SUCH a whoe! Every where she appears/ she has her ass & tits hanging out. Kim needs to hire Jennifer Lopez' stylist away & revamp her image.

By Cletus on Thursday, December 9, 1999 - 12:30 am:

a week or so i saw annie liebovitz(sp?) on the charlie rose show. she's just a book of photographs of women (you know, images of the new woman) and she was impressed enough with l'il kim to put her in the book.

the best part of that show was the second half with richard avedon. maybe i shouldn't expect people who communicate with images to be great talkers, but annie liebovitz was a little boring. avedon, though, was like a big kid. he closed his interview with a story that he felt truly described what it meant to be an artist:

after contracting dysentary in asia(or someplace) he comes back the u.s. and starts taking some kind of pills for it. he begins to lose weight rapidly, down to a critical level, and goes to another doctor for a second opinion. the doctor says he'll need 2 weeks worth of stool samples from avedon to make a diagnosis. so avedon starts collecting his shit in a garbage pail for 2 weeks - setting the small pail inside a larger garbage can full of ice and filling it every day with his feces. after 2 weeks he takes the entire thing to the doctor's office and presents it to the nurse.

the nurse says, "what's this?"

"2 weeks of stools."

"we didn't mean all at once!"

avedon goes on to say that this is the kind of attention to detail and sense of importance of every little aspect that makes a true artist.

we can all learn something from that.

By Gee on Thursday, December 9, 1999 - 02:49 am:

Yes. We can learn that artists are nuts.

By J on Thursday, December 9, 1999 - 04:23 am:

R.C.,I,m so glad your back.

By Patrick on Thursday, December 9, 1999 - 12:00 pm:

i am proof those who try to speak with images have little to offer verbally

(cheap shot anyone?)

By MapleLeaf on Thursday, December 9, 1999 - 12:19 pm:

Pass

By Lucy Phurre on Thursday, December 9, 1999 - 01:19 pm:

I just saw an image of Lil' Kim.
    Very strange looking woman.
    She was wearing a fur trimmed jumpsuit with a fur patch on her crotch.

Very strange.

By Patrick on Thursday, December 9, 1999 - 07:21 pm:

By Moonit on Thursday, December 9, 1999 - 09:15 pm:

okay that link hates me.

but on the news this morning they had something about a cop killing BIG? or maybe i was daydreaming

By Kymical on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 03:48 pm:

i like little kim....

i can't help it. anyone with the same name as me i tend to want to like. and my old japanese roommate used to play her stuff for me. and i got all kinds of excited.

before she became a "star" she used to be a , you will never belive this, prostitute.

in fact at one of her shows she canceled at the last minute and had to be rushed to the hospital. she seemed to have ingested 2 pints of "love juice" backstage.

i just want to give her a hi-five for that!

By heather on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 04:07 pm:

why did she have to go to the hospital?

sounds like an urban legend

By Patrick on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 05:15 pm:

i'd like to meet the man who can produce 2 pints of love juice

By Rhiannon on Friday, December 10, 1999 - 06:15 pm:

Ok, I don't shock easily (really), but I'm shocked. Please let that be not true.

By Gee on Saturday, December 11, 1999 - 02:43 am:

It's probably not. I recal hearing the same thing about Elton John and that's an Established urban legend.

By cyst on Saturday, December 11, 1999 - 02:39 pm:

I heard it was rod stewart.

By semillama on Saturday, December 11, 1999 - 06:32 pm:

Ingesting "love juice" in mass quantities is one of the initiation rites of teh Illuminati, as well as the Golden Dawn.

By agatha on Sunday, December 12, 1999 - 02:48 am:

i heard rod stewart, too. cleo had a picture of lil kim on her wall for several months. she was rather taken with her.

By Gee on Monday, December 13, 1999 - 01:27 am:

"I really am a mean and des-picable creature at heart, you know. It's so difficult to...Really change."

By J on Monday, December 13, 1999 - 09:56 am:

Didn,t Diana Ross grab one of Lil' Kims tits at some award show? I heard the Rod Stewart story too.

By R.C. on Tuesday, December 14, 1999 - 08:52 pm:

It was some fashion awards show on MTV or VH1 a couple of weeks ago. Kim came out in an off-the-shoulder dress w/one breast completely bared -- except for a sequined pastie. Diana Ross happened to be the next presenter. When La Ross came out/ she reached over & put her hand on Kim's breast & told her she needed to cover herself up.

By Pink on Sunday, December 19, 1999 - 01:03 am:

Now that shit is stirred up here. At least for a bit. I see( read ) things have calmed own for now. For those trying to figure out who posted the previous, it was me, Pink, the "real" Pink. I just threw out that posting to see who would take offense and who would think about it. Congrats to those who thought about what I said and came to their own conclusions. And "whatever" to those who found me racist and vile. Some still hold a grudge against me. Some, who I thought had a level head, jumped on the bandwagon to crucify me. Oh well...

A few of you got what I was trying to put out there. Most of you didn't. As a very good friend of mine said, choose your battles carefully. Respond with intelligence, not surging emotion. Wait, think it over, and then respond.

Here's the skinny:
    Do you believe in Sean Combs? What he stands for is right? Making $$$ off of other people? I have never heard anything original spew from his lips. Even R.C. says he's capitalizing on his(BIGs) death. I remember watching last year's MTV awards when Puff Daddy came out singing "Every Breath You Take" for B.I.G.s death. Abysmal at best. No applause at all......wait! who was singing then? Sting? Sting! The crowd went fucking nuts! Sting stole the the moment of reason, with his "own" song. To me, that's how lame Sean Combs is.

And to those who think I'm a racist, screw you! I tried to use the word "nigger" without saying "nigger". Kinda impossible, isn't it? You watch these so-called rap groups talkin' to one and another on a personal basis. What word flows through their vocabulary? Nigger. They say it, I don't. I bet you that I could talk to Sean Combs, one on one( without cameras ) and he'd be down to earth as anybody. Yet if Sean was talking to his friends, it would be "nigger" this and "nigger" that. Double standard. If you don't want me to talk nigger, than YOU don't talk nigger.

Than you J for being your sweet self, you still rock!!! Waffles, don't play the fence. Could get a whomping nut job--I know you mean well. R.C., look deeper into what I said a few days ago...I know you'll understand. Gee...well...uh...never mind, it's futile to talk to a 5 year old. Rhi, let my past GO! Sem, you still live in the "North" with me, don't be so quick to judge. I'll drive down there and fuck with you.

Even though I'm totally against what X-mas stands for...

Merry X-mas everyone!

By _____ on Sunday, December 19, 1999 - 01:15 am:

zzzz

By Gee on Sunday, December 19, 1999 - 02:08 am:

You're such a good boy, Dave.

Vive la Dave!

By J on Sunday, December 19, 1999 - 01:08 pm:

I still like Pink,I never thought he was racist and I still don,t!! He didn,t even spell it out,he just got slammed for using the word,I used the word when I posted about walking out when I worked for Shoenys,I didn,t get ripped,but I did get flamed for using a slang word for an hispanic.

By semillama on Sunday, December 19, 1999 - 04:09 pm:

Well, if that was your original argument, I'm not certain that anyone would disagree about Sean Combs. although he is real good at what he does.

as for the use of the word 'nigger', it's all in the context. and the context is far more uncertain when a white person uses it than when a black person uses it. And let's face it, very few white people exist who can confidently use the word 'nigger' in the same context as most black people and have it carry the same meaning. In most cases, it's just downright ridiculous, when not offensive.

Here's an example (and just an example, ok?): I could go and call Swine or R. C. or Kymical "my niggaz", meaning "those I am down with", but both they and I would realize the innate inappropriateness of that term coming from me.

Which is why I have never used the phrase as such.

I have used it once, when it was completly out of context, to demonstrate how riduclous the whole deal is, when in a slacked-out state refered to a friend at the time as "my Nigga", specifically, the phrase was "Bubba, you ma nigga!"

Now, here's the context, and see if you can tell how purposefully ridiculous the use was: Bubba is a stout conservative atheist white South African-Canadian. Kinda ridiculous in his own right, but I emphasized this by using the term in question to refer to him. You couldn't find much more of a polar opposite from any kind of African-American culture than Bubba. (Note: Bubba is the name he insisted everyone call him, as it is a term of respect in Canadian football. This is his only connection to Bubba Smith, by the way.)

so, anyway, my point is: the cultural context of the word is still very sensitive, and as decent human beings (those of us that are human, anyway), we should recognize it as such, and leave the use of the word to those who are certain of its meaning (ie, most African-americans, and unfortunately, white racists). As it stands now, the word is supect when it is uttered by a Euro-American. And after, all we don't go around referrign to each other as "He's my whitey" or "That Honky's straight up!"

although, I possess a certain ironic fondness for the term "Blue-eyed Devil" myself.

By R.C. on Sunday, December 19, 1999 - 08:51 pm:

For the record, this is one Black person who doesn't let ANYONE call her nigger. Maybe the homies from the hood think it's cool/but I don't use that word anymore or allow others -- Black or not -- to refer to me in that manner.

I will never understand how the fact that some Brothers use the term 'nigger' freely gives Whitefolks an axcuse to start tossing it around... If the word in question were 'spic' or 'faggot'/I don't think Pink or any of you wd start referring to your Latino or Gay friends in that manner -- even if some knucklheads in a rap group you saw on t.v. used that word to describe their friends. I don't call my male friends "dog" even tho' the homies do -- becuz it's just plain stupid.

When you know a word offends people -- even if YOU think it shdn't -- why use that word around them?

By Patrick on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 12:13 pm:

chump, i'm not sitting on anyone's fence, i suspected you were talking out your ass and being a little sensationalists to get a reaction who gives a rats ass about puffy, biggie or anything they have to say or do on MTV or anywhere else, as far as I am concerned they are not "artists" they are entertainers, and they entertain me about as much the UPS holiday shipping schedule i have taped to my cube wall....

the age old "'nigger', whites can't say it but blacks can blah blah blah blah...", jes forget about it all together who the hell cares, I have never had reason to use that word in anything i have ever said or written and I am curious as to who would....

By J on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 12:53 pm:

I think the lesson here is choose your words with care.

By semillama on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 01:14 pm:

YES! That's it! Now everyone take that to heart. It could've saved a lot of grief around here.

By Lucy Phurre on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 02:00 pm:

Actually, I think that the question is not whether you should be "PC" and avoid "hot button" words in ambiguous situations.

The question is why somebody thinks he can get away with using racial epithets in a situation that is blatantly unambiguous.

What Pink said is that he thinks that hip-hop music and culture is valueless and the work of somebody for whom he has no respect (implied: because of his race)

This is *not* the friendly context to which Semillama was referring.

Now I'm not particularly into hip-hop, but I am not actively opposed to it just because it's not my thing. I'll listen to it if I'm in the right mood, and that's not all the time, but the fact that I don't always want to hear hip-hop does not mean that I think it has no value.

Perhaps we should consider why the members of a certain group of people (which shall remain nameless as every other white male on the board would otherwhise take offense) have all gone to such great lengths to express their distaste for a type of music.
    Particularly as Pink has selected it as an example of a valid use of a racial epithet (so it's okay to use a racial epithet if you are writing off a portion of the culture against which it has historically been used as valueless?)
    (Now, Semillama, you will see an example of why it is impossible to make people think who don't want to....
    For more examples, pls. read "the cruelest thing I know..." and consider why you didn't read my post to you on the issue of my being silenced and whether or not the fact that you didn't read it may indicate something)

To anybody who objects to my decision to post...

fuck you.

By Lucy Phurre on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 03:23 pm:

Hmmm... I think that it says something about the actual range of permitted opinions that any comment I make with regard to anything having to do with race will not be heard.
    Perhaps this forum is not as open as you all seem to think.

And you wonder why I sometimes have difficulty controlling the urge to say:
    "HE'S STARK NAKED, YOU MORONS!!!"

As I said: Sem, you advised me to "make people think". You can't make people think who don't want to.

By MapleLeaf on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 03:31 pm:

J....that is very sound advise...thanks :)

By Anonymous on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 04:16 pm:

Hmmm... do I see a pattern?

The only people who respond to an individual are the ones who have been flaming her everywhere.

This makes it virtually impossible for her opinion to be heard, as nobody else wants to see a flamewar.

And the only person on the other thread besides the merry band of terrorists is some ignorant cunt who thinks she's insane for thinking that being followed by a bunch of people who are constantly flaming her interferes with her ability to be heard.

I am posting this anonymously in the hopes of evading pursuit.

By Patrick on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 04:31 pm:

........i got two turntables and a microphone......

By Anonymous. on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 04:58 pm:

Hmmm.... raises some questions about motivation, doesn't it?
    So, are you still trying to claim that you are not deliberately following me around?

By R.C. on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 05:10 pm:

ROFL!

Now -- wd anyone call Beck a nigger? Every time I've ever seen him interviewed/he came off like
    someone on too much Thorazine. He looks like a homeless/can't sing worth a damn -- & made himself a star by creating a record that satirized hiphop (a genre he seems to have no more interest in). But Beck was regarded as brilliant for doing a bad imitation of a stoned black rapper.

*sigh* All I'm saying is/there is plenty of stuff within the hiphop culture that IS worthless. The use of the term nigger is probably 1st on that list. So why not choose to ignore it/rather than imitate it?

By Patrick on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 05:39 pm:

beck is alright, he has some catchy tunes, I haven't analyzed him to that extent RC, you may have point, but otherwise I think he is rather talented with many instruments, and his music represents a great diversity, rap, folk, rock, some blues and some jazz....i think he is alittle hard to peg eitherway and thats what I appreciate.

His last album Odelay is a greatparty pleaser served well with rice chex party mix

...i am sticking with you, cause i am made out of glue....

By ____ on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 07:15 pm:

wasn't his last album "mutations"?

By Patrick on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 07:22 pm:

i think thats his most recent, perhaps i should said his next to last album

now......if she ever comes now now.....if she ever comes now now...if she comes nowwwww.......now...if she ever comes now now...if she ever comes now now......if she ever comes nowwwwwww......

By Curious on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 07:27 pm:

An experiment:

"Who the hell is B.I.G.? Some African American who's dead. Never heard from him until he was
    deceased. Never heard a cut from him when he
    was alive. Just when he's dead. No respect for
    him, just another African American tryin to make it. Oh, every other so-called rapper makes the bucks off of him. Lil' Kim does, Puff Daddy does. I enjoyed watching Sean Combs explaining his fucked up reason for having B.I.G. in his life. Nothin' but African American bullshit. Rap is dead, long live the "rappers" dream... gold toofes and cash in yo back pocket. Say hello to the legal system, boooy! We outta here."

Anybody significantly less offended?
    I know I still think Pink's a racist.
    So his argument doesn't stand.

By Patrick on Monday, December 20, 1999 - 07:57 pm:

oh yeah and RC, Beck lives in my neighborhood and I saw him at the grocery store not too long ago, he DOES look like he took too much thorazine and THENSOME, plus he is like 3'1".........

he bought water, he looked sweaty and his studio is down the street, perhaps he wasa rockin and a rollin,

i had a strange inclination to go up and say

"i'ma looser BABAY becuz of you you punkassbitch" and then kick him in the ding ding.

You know, jes for fun,

then i thought he has big lawyers so I bought my kitty litter and tampons and went on my way

By An irate dude on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 04:45 pm:

There's a reason that RAP rhymes with CRAP

By Gee on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 04:56 pm:

Yes. the reason is that they're spelt with most of the same letters. Aren't you bright for noticing that?

By Patrick on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 05:24 pm:

DUDE!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

By agatha on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 05:27 pm:

i like beck.

By Nate on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 05:34 pm:

me too.

By J on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 08:24 pm:

I like Frank Sinatra

By Markus on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 08:33 pm:

I like Beck's Dark.

By J on Wednesday, January 12, 2000 - 11:33 pm:

I like Red Stripe.

By Gee on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 02:35 am:

I like Dr. Pepper. The only problem with Dr. Pepper is that when I drink one can, I immidiatly crave another. Unfortunatly, I'm drinking a can right now and I don't have any more, so I'm going to be very dissapointed in a few minutes.

By Nate on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 11:02 am:

you should come work for me, Gee. we have unlimited free dr. pepper. alway cold, always ready for gee enjoyment.

come. come work for nate.

By Patrick on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 12:11 pm:

resist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Nate on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 12:25 pm:

work for nate. work for nate.

By Patrick on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 12:27 pm:

i like New Castle and Bass

By Nate on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 12:35 pm:

mmm. newcastle is best in the bottle.

beer.

want beer now.

now beer want. mmmm.

By Patrick on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 12:38 pm:

so............

can i come work for endless supplies of newcastle?

it has to be on tap too, the bottles are good but it's almost too "crisp" in a bottle, it's much smoother on tap. Same for Bass

By Nate on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 01:02 pm:

we do not currently offer complementry alcoholic beverages to our employees.

except on friday afternoons. martini's and margaritas. when the cowbell rings.

By _____ on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 01:24 pm:

mindspring does, but they also monitor consumption.

By An irate dude on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 01:29 pm:

Fuck you Gee. Yes, I am bright for noticing that RAP rhymes with CRAP. Nobody else in the world seems to have noticed that. They're all out there buying that shit when they could be buying and listening to real music by people who are actually musicians and who have talent.

Oh, and I love how rap performers refer to themselves as "artists." That's rich.

They're just a fucking bunch of untalented kids who know how to scream rhymes into a microphone to a beat. Great stuff. Wake me when the fad's over.

By Nate on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 01:29 pm:

that would be unfortunate.

By Patrick on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 01:38 pm:

who is talented in your mind DUDE?

By J on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 01:44 pm:

Dude...we don,t fuck with Gee,got it?

By Nate on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 01:47 pm:

you're just ignorant, dude.

By An irate dude on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 02:24 pm:

Oh really, J? And why don't we fuck with Gee? I'm new to this site, so I don't have the clique system down yet here. Who's Gee -- the resident bulletin board guru?

By J on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 02:37 pm:

She,s a real nice person who I,m very fond of,are you going to tell us what kind of music you like?

By An irate dude on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 02:41 pm:

Radiohead is talented
    Elvis Costello is talented
    The Gipsy Kings are talented
    Buddy Guy is talented
    Eric Clapton is talented
    Miles Davis was talented
    The Stones are talented

to name a few. They are/were either great composers, songwriters, musicians and performers.

Snoopy Dog Dog in the same list as above? I don't think so.
    Puffy Dad in the same list as above? I don't think so.
    Old Dirty Bastard in the same last as above? I don't think so.

By Nate on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 02:50 pm:

how about tribe called quest? de la soul? the roots? public enemy?

By An irate dude on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 02:57 pm:

'fraid I don't know them, Nate.

By J on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 03:03 pm:

Oh,I,m listening to The Bends right now,and I worship ELvis Costello,can,t say you have bad taste.Just watch the Fuck you,s till somebody deserves it,believe me you,ll have your chance to get in the cage soon enough! While I,m at it I STILL say Pink was NOT a racist and I miss him.

By heather on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 03:15 pm:

dude-

you're soundin pretty ignorant

let's think back... (beating a dead horse)...it's become a trite kind of statement now but our parent's parents thought that rock was a fad

By heather on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 03:17 pm:

also-

just because something is more accepted by the 'people in power' (cheesy, i know) doesn't make it better- and certainly not the only

By Nate on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 03:23 pm:

check 'em out, dude. they may change your view the genre.

By Patrick on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 03:25 pm:

word

By An irate dude on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 03:47 pm:

Yeah, if I happen upon it, I'll give it a chance, but I likes what I likes.

By Nate on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 04:02 pm:

well sure. no one says you have to like rap. but there is a difference between what you like and who is talented.

By An irate dude on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 04:06 pm:

Not much of one

By heather on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 04:14 pm:

you sound like my grandmother

By An irate dude on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 04:17 pm:

Darling, this IS your grandmother writing. You know, I really wish you'd give up chatting on these internet BBs and find a husband and have me some great grandchildren. Now grandma has to go watch her stories. Write soon!

Love,
    Grammy

By heather on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 04:31 pm:

sucker! i never call her 'grammy', you're busted

By An irate dude on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 04:41 pm:

Yes, darling. But I always secretly wished you would have called me that. You see, when I just was a wee lass of 6, my grandmother (that would be your great-grandmother, rest her soul) sat me down on her knee and asked me to start calling her 'grammy.' She didn't like me calling her 'Loretta.' So I did as she asked. And I always wished I had sat you down on my knee and asked you to call me 'grammy.' But it never happened, so why cry over spilled milk? Anyways sweetheart, do go out and find a husband, someone nice who will treat you right -- not those weirdos you've been bringing home lately, and do keep in touch. Your grammy likes to hear from you once in a while. XX00XX

--Grammy

By heather on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 04:48 pm:

see now, 'wee lass' would be my other grandmother

By An irate dude on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 04:52 pm:

Yes darling, this IS your other grandmother writing. So you'll call me soon? And finish your peas and carrots?

Hugs and Kisses,

Grammy

By Margret on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 04:58 pm:

Snicker.

By Patrick on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 05:16 pm:

i am starting to like this asshole, he may fit in real well around here

By Gee on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 05:41 pm:

Let's get back to what's really important here:

Nate? What can I do for you? I will accept a lower wage in favour of all the free Dr. Pepper I can handle.

By Nate on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 05:43 pm:

what kind of skills do you have?

c/c++? solaris/hpux/irix?

By Dougie aka An Irate Dude on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 07:16 pm:

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Patrick. Yes, it's true, I am an asshole. But not too much of one. Methinks I will change my moniker. My real name is Dougie, so that it will be. The post-er formerly known as "An Irate Dude" will now become "Dougie." Hello World.

By Nate on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 07:19 pm:

Hello Dougie, you ass.

By semillama on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 07:22 pm:

You know, what if you could only judge rock and roll by these three bands/artists:

Poison
    Chris Gaines
    Counting Crows

Would we leap to the conclusion that Rock ain't worth a shriveled up Cock?

i dunno, Irate, but if you actually listen to Miles, then I would think you would dig acts like The Roots, Tribe Called Quest, et al. Because they're very good. But you don't seem too interested in expanding your musical horizons, from your comments.

P.S. Public Enemy is definitely more talented than the Stones.

By Patrick on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 07:41 pm:

"P.S. Public Enemy is definitely more talented than the Stones."

uhhhhhhhhh Sem....do you need your head checked?

I love PE, but this is like apples and oranges.

Last I checked Flava never picked up an axe like Richards did and Chuck D ain't no Charlie Watts or Brian Jones......they are all extremely talented in their respects

By Dougie on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 07:42 pm:

Well, fortunately, we don't have to judge rock by those 3 unfortunate choices. And what's wrong with a shriveled up cock? That's the way my cock spends most of his waking hours: happy and shriveled up and dark and warm, just chillin'. But look out below when the beast rears his ugly head (so to speak.)

Yeah, I'm probably missing out on a lot by not expanding my musical horizons, but I'm happy with what I have and what I like. There's only so much time in a day, and so many days in a life.

By heather on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 07:57 pm:

who gave you the name doug-ie?

hey and sem, are you trying out a new 'bad' persona?

By Patrick on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 08:11 pm:

call him Dougie Fresh

By Dougie on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 08:22 pm:

Yes, please do call me Dougie Fresh. You'll be the only one ever to do so.

FYI, my mommy and daddy gave me the name Doug-ie. What, you never heard of the name Dougie? How about Dougie Thompson from Supertramp. Or Doogie Howser, the brilliant teenage tv doctor?

By heather on Thursday, January 13, 2000 - 09:04 pm:

excuse me for not mistaking you for a brilliant teenage doctor

i will call you doogie

doogie fresh

By Gee on Friday, January 14, 2000 - 02:06 am:

I don't know what all that stuff means, Nate, but I can do anything if you show me how. I loin gud.

will you hire me when I'm finished school? I'd be very releaved to have something waiting for me.

By Markus on Friday, January 14, 2000 - 02:10 am:

Doogie Howser, M.D. was based loosely on my life, except I was a faster typist. And the series didn't show the infamous incident involving the Foley catheters, Karo syrup, and midgets.

By J on Friday, January 14, 2000 - 09:15 am:

I like Counting Crows

By Dougie on Friday, January 14, 2000 - 10:40 am:

main()
    {
    char *str=
    "Gee, this is what Nate's talking about, it's C/C++ programming language. Haven't used it in a hell of a long time -- I should try it again, it's fun. Also, solaris/hpux/irix are 3 "flavors" of Unix: Sun's, Hewlett Packard's, and SGI's.";

printf("%s", *str);
    }

By Nate on Friday, January 14, 2000 - 11:12 am:

once again i must show you the errors of your ways.

<51> % cat file.c
    main()
    {
    char *str=
    "Gee, this is what Nate's talking about, it's C/C++ programming language. Haven't used it in a hell of a long time -- I should try it again, it's fun. Also, solaris/hpux/irix are 3 "flavors" of Unix: Sun's, Hewlett Packard's, and SGI's.";

printf("%s", *str);
    }

<52> % cc file.c
    "file.c", line 4: syntax error before or at: flavors
    cc: acomp failed for file.c

<53> % uname -a
    SunOS lox 5.5.1 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-1

what's your major, gee?

By Dougie on Friday, January 14, 2000 - 11:50 am:

You actually compiled that thing? Yeah, I know, I forgot to put in the / escape character in front of the ".

By Nate on Friday, January 14, 2000 - 12:05 pm:

well, close.

By semillama on Friday, January 14, 2000 - 03:19 pm:

I have no bad personas. I do think it's ridiculous to say something to effect that "my musical horizons are fine where they are". It's like saying, "Oh, I've read enough books, I don't need to read anymore."

I will admit to making the PE is better than the Stones comment to irk any stones fans out there. Ok, PE is AS good as the Stones. Happy?

By Dougie on Friday, January 14, 2000 - 04:19 pm:

What's ridiculous with it? All I'm saying is that with so few hours in the day because of work and shit, I'm happy with the genres of music that I currently like, and within those genres, especially classical and jazz, there is so much more for me to discover that I don't feel like wasting time on a genre that, from what I've heard so far, strikes no chord with me. N'k?

By Gee on Saturday, January 15, 2000 - 03:09 am:

my major is humanities. and I'm not ashamed of it. At the begining of the year people would ask me that question and I would tell them and then they'd give me The Look and I'd get really annoyed, so I stopped telling people. then I decided to start telling people again, but now I'm really defensive.

About 98% of the people I've told have either given me The Look or just said "oh." in That Tone. always implying that Humanities was a sissy course. like English's annoying baby sister. Well, screw them. Humanities is hard stuff if you're honest. I guess it's easy if you just bluff your way through, but that's not my style.

I don't like things like math and science because I don't do very well in things where there's one Set answer and all you're doing is memorizing stuff. science is interesting, in theory, and I know there should be room for exploration, but it never seems to work out that way.

I love humanities. they actually Care about what I think. they want to know my opinion. As long as I have the reading material to back me up, nothing I say can be wrong and I can go freaking wild as far as imagination and free thought are concerned. I'm so in love with that.

Like I said, I'm defensive about it. Too many people have annoyed me about this. But I'm not ashamed. I'll beat on every one of you.

By R.C. on Saturday, January 15, 2000 - 04:46 am:

Hum majors aren't allowed to hit, Gee. Check the Student Handbook.

But s'good to see you standing up for yr Field of Concentration.

By cyst on Saturday, January 15, 2000 - 01:14 pm:

you're so harvard, r.c.

By agatha on Saturday, January 15, 2000 - 02:32 pm:

gee, if it makes you feel any better, i have a bachelor's in liberal arts. you should see the reactions i get with that one.

By cyst on Saturday, January 15, 2000 - 02:51 pm:

from a public school that doesn't give grades, no less.

By Patrick on Saturday, January 15, 2000 - 03:00 pm:

agatha, gee, don't you have specialized facets in those degrees? liberal arts and humanities, THATS SO VAGUE!!!!!!!!

By semillama on Saturday, January 15, 2000 - 04:50 pm:

My dad teaches in a Humanities department. He teaches logic and philosophy.

and Dougie - I would venture that I work as much or more as you, and there's always room for new music. Sure, there's lots to explore in jazz and classical (just ask my brother the music major), but if you judge a whole genre by what gets played on MTV, then you are only seeing the algae floating on top of a pool of important music. I just don't like seeing anyone dismiss a genre of music without making any attempt to see if they're actually some talent out there. I suggest you check out The Roots for certain, "The Love Movement" By A Tribe Called Quest, Black Sheep "A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing", Public Enemy, and De La Soul. Listen to at least three of these acts or albums with the same ear you use to listen to jazz, and then tell us you still think that no one in hip-hop is talented. Look, I'll agree with you that a lot of what's out there in hip-hop just plain sucks, but there's a lot that is really good, and will be influencing music in the future.

I never thought I'd see the day when I would be staunchly defending hip-hop. At one point, I, too thought rap sucked, but at the time I wa convinced that anything that wasn't metal sucked as well. I grew out of it, thank god.

By Rhiannon on Saturday, January 15, 2000 - 05:15 pm:

Or try some of hip-hop's progeny, like drum&bass. Or its predecessors, like go-go.

Anyone have Kruder and Dorfmeister's "K & D Sessions?" I'm listening to it now. 's good.

By Antigone on Sunday, January 16, 2000 - 02:00 am:

There's not "just one set answer" in math and science. My favorite computer science professor used to say, "There is no 'yes' or 'no' in computer science, only 'maybe.'" He always strived to break the binary desires of his students into an analog outlook.

Too bad he (1) died (0) two years ago. I miss ya, Dr Seebach.

By Gee on Sunday, January 16, 2000 - 05:57 am:

Like I said, Antigone, it's not Supposed to be that way, but that's how it always seems to work out. in my natural science class they never ask us "what do you think?" they tell us the facts and we have to remember them.

I think things must be different in the states. Humanities isn't vauge. Humanities is the name of the course' I take the most of. Here, humanities and philosophy are two different things, too.

Humanities is mainly reading fiction and wotnot, and trying to get some understanding of the culture they came from through the writing. Humanities is the class where I'm reading all the greek and roman stuff. Humanities is part of the Arts programme. Is this different from how it is in the states?

hey, here's my school's website: http://www.yorku.ca

By Nate on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 11:09 am:

bleah. i hate classes where they ask you what you think. what I think? jesus man, you're the fucking teacher. and no, i don't want to hear what the other dumb fucks in the class think, either, because they ARE a bunch of dumb fucks.

i like class where they teach you stuff. then you go home and think about what you've learned and how it changes how you think.

everything has an answer.

By Aristotle on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 11:26 am:

is it dumb fuck or dumbfuck?
    do you pronounce it
    dumb (nanosecond pause) fuck
    or
    dumfuk?
    there can be only one answer.

By Nate on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 11:30 am:

foolish. obviously there is one answer per set of parameters. but generally it is dumb fuck. because people are fucks, and occasionally you need to add "dumb" to further specify their condition.

By J on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 12:05 pm:

wouldn,t that make them dumb fuckers?

By Nate on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 12:07 pm:

i think you're thinking of a different definition of "fuck(er)"

By Patrick on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 12:48 pm:

i kind a liked the socratic way, but i suspect this doesn't surprise you.

humanity studies does seems vague. Humanity initself is vague, combining all the cultures of the earth together to gain one giant undertanding, jesu christ thats impossible. And how that falls into "art" amazes me. Thats more of a social science or philosophy type of study.

By Nate on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 03:09 pm:

so anyway Gee, you have any skills?

my roommate was a lit major. he's been out of week for 10 months. he has no skills.

By Margret on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 03:16 pm:

Uhhhh.

That's the guy that was holding out for some sort of upscale job?

Christ.

We ARE talking an UNDERGRADUATE degree in literature, right?

By Nate on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 03:25 pm:

ya. BA.

i actually got him to apply to all sorts of grocery and retail stores, though.

though, i'm not sure he's followed up.

feb 1. deadline for rent. doesn't look good for him.

he's talking about moving to sacto, where there is someone else who will give him free room and board.

but only for a month. then back to the parent's house.

By Spider on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 03:49 pm:

By Markus on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 04:30 pm:

Chuck Brown's the man. It's still pretty easy to catch him playing somewhere around DC.

By Gee on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 04:38 pm:

I have tons of skills. I'm the only one in the house who can jiggle the plug properly to restart the broken fuse in the living room. How's that for a skill?

I have no idea what I'm going to do when I'm finished school. My mother says to me "don't worry about that now, you're just in your first year" but if I don't think about it now I could really screw myself in a few years.

I think I might go down the research road. I've done that before and it's easy. I really think I could do anything if I had an opportunity and a quick lesson.

and I still say that the best questions are the ones where they are dozens of answers. One set answer sucks wild kittens. How do you ever learn anything New if you're just memorizing the same old stuff?

By Gee on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 04:42 pm:

Oh, and I believe Humanities is in the faculty of arts because we use a societies literature (literature being an art form) to try and get a better understanding of them.

we don't "combine all the cultures of the earth together". that would be pretty stupid. the course director picks a society (for example, the one I'm in now my prof. chose the ancient greeks...I forget the exact years) and read literature (sometimes study artwork) from that society and time period and try to understand the society better.

By Nate on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 04:42 pm:

likewise, what are you learning if every answer is correct?

By Gee on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 05:05 pm:

you're learning to think for yourself. you're laerning that there are some things you can't be Told.

but not Every answer is correct. You have to be able to back your opinion up with examples from the literature.

By Nate on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 05:15 pm:

you can find anything to support anything in literature.

i'm not saying your major is wrong. i'm just saying i didn't go to school to hear other student's opinions. and i certainly think for myself.

By Gee on Monday, January 17, 2000 - 11:50 pm:

What's wrong with hearing other people's opinions? Other people have really important things to say too. Sometimes they can point out things that you've missed. You're listening to my opinion right now. I've seen you listen to several opinions around here. And you've probably learned a thing or two you didn't know before you came here. What's the difference?

As for thinking for yourself: I'm not saying that you don't do that. I think you do. But a lot of people (most people) say they think for themselves and they're really just following the herd. Humanities can help them learn the difference.

By heather on Tuesday, January 18, 2000 - 01:08 am:

i think the difference is that he wouldn't want to go to school for it (especially paying hard-earned money,) and to be honest, neither would i

many times, not until graduate school is thinking for yourself encouraged (finally- even if still within a defined context. but then, you're supposed to choose your school with knowledge of that context.) but it's really really difficult to truly think outside of the given thread of things (ha)
    if your professor expects you not to disagree with her/him- there is a problem

we are constantly hearing other people's opinions- most of them, i would guess, they learned from tv or their parents.

By _____ on Tuesday, January 18, 2000 - 01:30 am:

i have to agree with nate. i've hated every english lit class i've ever taken. i suspect i'd feel the same about poli-sci classes. if i'm in school, i'm there to learn the material, not to listen to everybody yammer on about their every idea regarding the material. learn the material, move onto the next topic, and learn that too. keep doing this until you've earned the title you're seeking. is it asking so much to just shut up and let me learn something?

By muddy waters on Tuesday, January 18, 2000 - 02:09 am:

i was in a bar earlier this evening with a guy who I think was a philosopy major in college. we were "discussing" books. he was one of those guys who, when you say you've read a certain book, will immediately ask you if you've read some other book by the same guy.

him: ever read any nabokov [stress on the second syllable and a long "o" and everthang.]

me: read Lolita when i was in high school.

him: ever read Pnin?

me: no. just Lolita.

him: you should! it's [explains book]

him: ever read any kafka?

me: The Trial and his complete short stories.

him: ever read The Castle?

me: i'dve told you.

him: you should. it's....

By _____ on Tuesday, January 18, 2000 - 03:08 am:

that's what you get.

By cyst on Tuesday, January 18, 2000 - 09:54 am:

I didn't study literature in college because I figured I could read all those books on my own, and I did.

By sarah on Tuesday, January 18, 2000 - 03:45 pm:

my favorite subject in school was english and english lit. those were the only classes i never missed, even if my teacher sucked.

someday i will get a graduate degree in english literature.

words rock.

By Gee on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 04:34 am:

I don't get your guys (some of your guys) attitude.

I loath classes where it's just Shut-Up and Listen to Teacher. Everybody has something they can teach you, even if they don't know it themselves. That's why they have tutorials. They might not be right, but then again, they might not be wrong. If you never listened to other peoples opinions, you'd never grow.

but, oh well.

By _____ on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 10:05 am:

but then again, english wasn't what i wanted to learn. i had to take it. i wanted to be a naturopath.

then i woke up.

By Margret on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 10:57 am:

I'm not interested in opinions, but I have always been interested in others' reactions and exigeses. People bring different worlds into a reading of a text, I expect them to produce different worlds OUT of that text, and since I can't travel there I like to see the slide show.
    I think your course of studies sounds interesting, Gee.
    Johns Hopkins has a graduate degree in Humanities. It is one of the hardest departments to be accepted in because it is cross-disciplinary and very, very intellectually rigorous.
    I didn't take literature classes in college (except the one to satisfy that distribution requirement and the other for my minor) because I thought HS took these perfectly interesting books I'd enjoyed reading and thinking and talking about and turned them into something distinctly not scottish.
    I didn't want to prolong that experience.

By sarah on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 03:57 pm:

exegises

(sorry, couldn't help it)

margret, i think education and pedagogy has changed quite a bit from when we were in school. you know how they say it's darkest right before the dawn? well, we went to HS at 4:30 a.m.

i don't know what it's like in canada though.

By mistaswine on Wednesday, January 19, 2000 - 04:53 pm:

could've always just said "explanations".

but i guess that's like using the word "walk" instead of "ambulate".

someday i'm gonna rule the world.

when that day comes, i'll start taxing motherfuckers heavily for being tedious.

divine porcinity always puts a smile on my face.

By Gee on Thursday, January 20, 2000 - 04:35 am:

we never delt much with books in my HS english classes (there is no HS humanities). We'd read books, comment on them in journals ("I thought this book was very good. I would like to read more by this author. He was very good.") and then do other stuff. mostly writing exercises. I went to a very bad high school.

By The original man on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 03:28 am:

you racist motherfu**ers are scary acting bit**es
    get a life and accept whats coming.Your downfall.

By dave. on Saturday, March 27, 2004 - 05:14 am:

****! *** ******* *****!!

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact