Chorlton And the Wheelies

sorabji.com: Weeds: Chorlton And the Wheelies
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).
By Joanne on Friday, January 2, 1998 - 12:13 pm:
    it's a kids tv show, from the seventies, and chorlton was a dragon who helped the wheelies fight Fenella the witch, who was very cool indeed and lived in a teapot with magic mushrooms which popped up and down and disappeared and re-appeared. Unfortunately i think it was only shown on a regional station in the north of england and i am so far the only person i know with this memory, so when i die it *will* be gone forever. think on.

By Looking for Woody Woodpecker book on Friday, January 2, 1998 - 01:17 pm:
    This sounds like it would be a very great loss. I am already feeling deprived that I never saw that show. I wonder if old videotapes exist.

I am looking for one of the small children's books with cardboard covers that you used to be able to buy in the grocery stores here in the U.S. I remember it - it starred Woody Woodpecker, and it involved popcorn and fireworks. There was something about the illustrations that really captured my attention. I'd give anything (well, within reason) to get my hands on one of these, and would do my best to preserve it for posterity (well, at least I'd never throw it away). The reason I don't have it right now is for some reason I could never wheedle Daddy into buying it, so I would just read it in the store every Saturday when we did the grocery shopping.

nelly

By Nelly on Friday, January 2, 1998 - 01:43 pm:
    Joanne:

I have a feeling Chorlton et. al. will live on as long as the web does. For example, there's a thread that starts here on a meteorology newsgroup and goes on and on...

there's also this one, rather minimal

Another appreciator.

The e-zine cult tv has an article about them, but you have to subscribe (don't know if that means moola or not).

you're not alone.

By N.b. on Friday, January 2, 1998 - 01:48 pm:
    oops, it's not an e-zine, it's a paper one. but anyway reading about these things is not the same as having them.

By Liam on Monday, February 2, 1998 - 04:41 pm:
    Chorlton and the Wheelies was shown the length and breath of England in the late Seventies and can still be bought on video if you know where to look. See http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/1010/chorlton.html for sound clips and pictures.

By Joanne on Wednesday, February 4, 1998 - 07:27 am:
    you're all very special people.

By Pink Eye on Saturday, February 7, 1998 - 05:30 am:
    Kinda sounds like a trippy rendition of H.R. Puff'n'Stuff. Of course H.R. wasn't exactly the most sane show that I watched as a juvie.

By Stuart Noble on Wednesday, February 11, 1998 - 05:21 am:
    Chorlton and the Wheelies was shown in the south east of England too. If anyone knows of any websites that contain pics, themes etc, lemme know!!!!
    nobles@boat.bt.com

I was always shit scared of the witch!!!!!!!!!!

By Paul on Friday, February 13, 1998 - 01:48 pm:
    Chorlton and the Wheelies was shown in the Midlands as well. I just tried the Geocities site, and couldn't find anything.

The witch scared the crap out of me as well!!!!

Anyone found anything on Jamie and his magic torch???

By Joanne on Tuesday, February 17, 1998 - 11:14 am:
    it's just one jolly ol' happy family innit? Jamie and the magic torch was superb! intensely trippy tv for kids. If I find anything Paul, I will let you know.

It wasn't the witch that got me so much as the trippy mushrooms that popped up with her.

Have to wonder what will live on in the minds of today's tv tots...

By Shejzh on Wednesday, April 1, 1998 - 05:20 pm:
    Hooray! At last I have found people who appreciate the wonders that are Chorlton and indeed Jamie and his Magic Torch. Does anyone have anything on Mosschops? I live in Bangor and there are only two people in the whole city who remember him. Help!!!

By Matt on Thursday, April 2, 1998 - 07:09 am:
    Check out http://freespace.virgin.net/jason.massey/vault.html
    for a really cool sound file of the chorlton and the wheelies theme tune! You have no idea how long I had been searching for this before I found it! Enjoy people!

By Stevie Boy on Thursday, April 2, 1998 - 05:10 pm:
    CHORLTON AND THE WHEELIES
    VISIT THE ONLY CHORLTON AND THE WHEELIES SHRINE ON THE WEB HOSTED BY STEVIE BOYLE.

http://wkweb5.cableinet.co.uk/s.boyle/

By Fakie2 on Saturday, April 4, 1998 - 11:26 am:
    the little old lady scared me shitless as a child then i got to high school and my physics teacher looked like her now im 24 and i cant find chorlton anywhere HELP

By The boy Lister on Tuesday, April 7, 1998 - 06:13 pm:
    What were those bizarre spiky things that used to hang around the witch called?

By The boy Lister on Wednesday, April 8, 1998 - 07:25 pm:
    It's o.k. They were called the "Spikers"

By Geoff on Sunday, May 3, 1998 - 03:59 pm:
    When my daughter Emma was small I used to watch Chorlton with her and I thought the theme tune was brilliant. After about four months of searching I'm happy again. Thanks, Steve, for your efforts. We also had to find Bagpuss for Emma, she's still a little girl, aged 24.

By Suzy on Wednesday, May 6, 1998 - 10:39 am:
    I watched Chorlton with my kids..i loved it!! I thought the magic book was very good..was he called Hubert von Claptrap? He spoke with a german accent if i remember correctly..and didn't the telescope talk as well?

By Terry vegas on Friday, May 15, 1998 - 04:20 am:
    Thank you. Have Fun!!

By ROB on Friday, May 15, 1998 - 06:14 pm:
    ANYBODY - Where can I get Chorlton vids. I been searching for years.

Chorlton calling the witch "Little old lady" still comes to mind when I see my girlfriends mum.

Long live Chorlton.

By Helen on Wednesday, May 27, 1998 - 02:34 pm:
    Hi
    I only looked for Chorlton and the Wheelies because I'm fed up of revising, I had no idea that there was a web page devoted to them.
    Paul, Jamie and the magic torch can be found on
    http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/1011/jamie.html I think but I haven't looked for myself yet.
    Has anyone found anything on Button Moon???

By Zion on Wednesday, May 27, 1998 - 04:07 pm:
    'Ullo liddle ole lady!

Thames TV told me they would search their archives for the possibility of old pix. They also confirmed that a video WAS released called "Chorlton and Jamie's..." (something or other - I forget the rest. They also reckon toys were made. Lying bastards, I reckon! I do loads of toy fairs and have never found ONE! If we all contact video companies, one of them will eventually put it out there. Cosgrove/Hall have NO recordings of it. I need it.

Where can I get my fix?

By Zion on Wednesday, May 27, 1998 - 04:14 pm:
    PS

Did I mention that I named my cat Chorlton?

By Mike Unger on Thursday, May 28, 1998 - 09:15 am:
    I'm doing a book on Cosgrove Hall. Has anyone any anecdotes?

Mike Unger
    506 Middle Warehouse
    Castle Quay
    Manchester M15 4NT
    Phone/Fax
    0161 832 5518

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Thursday, May 28, 1998 - 10:14 am:
    MY GOD!!!!!! I didn't know this place had SUCH a huge English following!

Ello Brits!

By Mikey D on Thursday, May 28, 1998 - 09:24 pm:
    Chorlton & the Wheelies was the coolest t.v program ever made. Does anyone remember Chorlton digging for truffles or am I just going mad?

Please someone e-mail me to put me out of my misery.

michael.dawson4@virgin.net

ta

By Bob on Friday, May 29, 1998 - 08:28 pm:
    mosschops is brill
    ooh flower!!

By Not Davey Not Goliath on Saturday, May 30, 1998 - 02:26 am:
    You do realize don't you that many of us have no freaking clue what you're talking about....

Was it really that good? Can I get some?

Ah, the merry old english....god bless you boys and girls....it brings back fond memories of the adventures of Davey and Goliath...."Hello Daaaavey". Bible stories told with puppets to poison impressionable young minds....

By Mossybear on Saturday, May 30, 1998 - 05:54 pm:
    So it wasn't a dream, others remember Mosschops... Has anybody found any "Mossy" related stuff on the web, or know of any videos Ive been looking for years, but alas no luck. Can anybody help???

By Ian Hallam on Thursday, June 4, 1998 - 06:23 am:
    To Mr Stevie Boy,
    THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!!
    I Have been looking for a Chorlton and the Wheelies shrine for months!!!!
    For people generally interested in cool,classic and cult Childrens TV, I would generally reccommmend the site at Geocities (now called Watched it), it is currently being reworked so a lot of the stuff is offline, but I know that when it comes back up its a great site for sounds and pics.

Don't flame me or anything but there is a link from my crappy website http://www.freeyellow.com/members/ihallam1/

Also, does anyone remember a programme called Chockies (think thats spelled correctly!) Children it was a bit wierd and had this funny alien laser light think that talked to children. Any Info or related web pages that anyone knows about would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers

Ian Hallam
    IHallam1@postmaster.co.uk

By Joanne on Thursday, June 4, 1998 - 09:27 am:
    eh up lads n lasses! believe in that english following jim - we are strong and mighty and we have cool tv! seen the teeltubbies...? <g>

I also remember Chocky as I believe it was called - a triangular alien of light that talked to a sad and lonely boy - perhaps taken from the John Wyndham book of the same name I'm not sure....Anyway my only recollection of it now is of unbearable sadness when chocky left to go back home.

Since there seems to be such a huge devoted following for Chorlton and Fenella (of which I had no idea when I posted this thing sooo long ago) I am taking the advice of my friend up there and contacting Thames TV in the hope that they will relent and re-release a video. But remember, I'm doing it for you guys..

By Joanne on Thursday, June 4, 1998 - 09:34 am:
    also .... http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Club/6006/jamie.html

By Sorabji on Thursday, June 4, 1998 - 10:25 am:
    Joanne - If you get BBC TV World News, send me e-mail. I've got a huge favor to ask of you.

-mt

By Ian Hallam on Saturday, June 6, 1998 - 02:15 pm:
    You may find this relevant to you search for Chorlton stuff. there is a bookshop in Leicester Called the "Black Cat" Bookshop. They have oodles (I like that word!) of literature from cool cult TV stuff, (the even sell original Star Wars Toys) its in a place called Silvers Arcade (which is near Another World and an Army Surplus shop not far from the Shires) anyway to cut a long story short that operate a service by which you give them a quid (thats 1 pound sterling for all not English people!) and they will search for all stuff relating to your subject. They have been lokoing for Chorlton stuff for me for months and so far no joy.
    I am in no way associted with this shop or with Silvers Arcade (well worth a visit many many cool shops if you are in Leicester) or with Leicester for that matter but if anyone is interested and wants the phone Number drop me an e-mail and i'll see if I can find it.

By Kevin on Tuesday, June 9, 1998 - 04:22 pm:
    I'm desperate to get a vid of Chorlton - Liam said they're available if you know where to look, does anyone know where I can try?

By Mark on Thursday, June 18, 1998 - 03:22 pm:
    Visit a very unofficial Chorlton and the Wheelies site at http://members.aol.com.cduckula/chorlton.htm

I'm also after the Chorlton video. From what I gather it's shared with Jamie and the Magic torch, another great programme from the same era. Sadly it was deleted in 1996 according to several sources, but if anyone has it, could you let me know at CDuckula@aol.com, I'd be extremely grateful.

By Shejzh on Friday, June 19, 1998 - 04:58 pm:
    I am building a website entirely devoted to Cult TV. Chorlton gets a mention, and there are a few pics from the show on my site. Try here:-

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/9749/culttv.html

By Shejzh on Friday, June 19, 1998 - 05:14 pm:
    PS For anyone who's interested, my site also houses the one and only Supergran page on the Web.
    And unlike some Geocities sites, it's staying there.

By Hattie on Thursday, June 25, 1998 - 06:09 pm:
    Sad but true my handle on our cb radio was little lady....

I too have been looking for a video for ages. Anyone fancy mailing the blokies at wherever to tell them about the interest???? I would but I don't know where.

I would like to suggest the original Bod with the frog conductor who drank different milkshakes and Ivor the Engine. Try as I might I can never remember the theme tune

By Helen on Friday, June 26, 1998 - 09:02 am:
    oh my god!!!!

I've been looking for chorlton stuff forever!!!

no one else I've ever met remembers it and I was starting to think that I'd imagined it all.

I need to get a video to proove that it exists once and for all.

If anyone has any luck please let me know...

hespaldi@glam.ac.uk

By Paula on Wednesday, July 1, 1998 - 04:02 am:
    'ello little old lady..........................for kids' tv of the 70s and 80s go to

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Haven/2036.................

and if anyone can help my failing 28 year old memory or has suggestions for programmes I haven't included, then please post 'em on the messageboard!!!!!!!!!!

ooh ta

Paula

By Paula on Wednesday, July 1, 1998 - 04:04 am:
    er................gave you the wrong url...............

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Bungalow/7359...............my brain was thinking that but my fingers were typing way ahead!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Kevin on Wednesday, July 1, 1998 - 03:35 pm:
    I've written to Cosgrove Hall, and they tell me that the rights to the video of Wheelies / Jamie & the Magic Torch remain with Thames Home Entertainment. (When they were made, Cosgrove Hall was owned by Thames Television). Thames is now owned by Pearson TV, and Cosgrove Hall have given me a telephone number to contact, so I will continue searching. Watch this space.........

By Marcus on Wednesday, July 1, 1998 - 05:41 pm:
    Fantastic!!! I, like all of you, thought I was the only one. It's so reassuring to know that there are others out there too who spend valuable life hours wandering aimlessly about in either real or virtual space searching for clues as to the whereabouts of Chorlton and Jamie. Anyone on good terms with their MP? Maybe we could get a question asked in the House of Commons, some sort of motion to force ITV to release their tapes and screen the shows daily. It'd be well worth it.
    I've lost count of how many pub conversations I've had about these shows (also Bod, which made a reappearance on one of the cable kids' channels a while back, but in brutally hacked up form - only the Bod segments remained, no animal orchestra stories, no "Bod and Frank - that's not snap!" stuff, no songs, but still better than nothing...
    Please please please - anyone who can get hold of "proper" Bod videos or of course Chorlton and Jamie stuff, put the rest of us out of our misery!!!

By Jim aka PajamaBoy on Wednesday, July 1, 1998 - 05:53 pm:
    Marcus, dude, where you been? Hot enuf for ya?

By Joanne on Thursday, July 2, 1998 - 09:48 am:
    and it just keeps on going - if i ever get my arse in gear I'll set up a site devoted to you lot, not chorlton, just you lot, patrons of *good taste*...

Kevin paste it LARGE, when it comes to you

By Barry on Monday, July 6, 1998 - 07:42 am:
    Not a lot of response to Mosschops there must be some stuff arround on it, I remember that Mossy used to go to the side of some water and talk to a Dolphine like Dinosaur that used to hang out of the water.
    Did Mossy talk I cant remember or did he just make strange sounds like the clangors?
    Was Mosschops Blue? I think he was.
    Did he really exist?
    Someone must remember more!

Let me know Barry@kingston.ac.uk

By Paula on Monday, July 6, 1998 - 04:31 pm:
    Please please please, does anyone hav a wav of the Telebugs theme? Highly unlikely, I know...

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Bungalow/7359">Cultish TV</a>

By Paula on Monday, July 6, 1998 - 04:32 pm:
    ok, so my link didn't work..I'm not clever...would you believe I write a site on writing html? hmmm

By A friend on Monday, July 6, 1998 - 10:32 pm:
    regular html won't work here. check out the special instructions at the top of the mingle page, "How to add links to your messages"

By Samantha on Tuesday, July 7, 1998 - 07:36 pm:
    Ive found a Jamie and his magic torch wav file for everyone to enjoy. Its at:

http://www.wilhome.demon.co.uk/index.html

I am starved of UK stuff as I am living in California. At least I have the web. It has become my blood.
    Anyone want to contact me I am at:
    bottomjohnson@hotmail.com

By Ian Hallam on Wednesday, July 8, 1998 - 08:00 am:
    Many Many cool .Wav sounds can be found at a site called Sound America.com the url (this is not a hot link so you will have to cut and paste it) is http://www.soundamerica.com
    the only trouble with this is that a lot of the wavs are saved in the new compressed .wav format so you will need to download the latest beta player from Microsoft (yes it does work!)

On the subject of looking for cool stuff does anyonne a) remember these b)know where I can find inof sounds pics etc on them?

Benjy, Zak and the alien prince
    Huckleberry Finn 1985 TV Series
    The Little Green Man and Zoom Zoom

Much Obliged!
    Ian Hallam

By Ian Hallam on Wednesday, July 8, 1998 - 08:00 am:
    Many Many cool .Wav sounds can be found at a site called Sound America.com the url (this is not a hot link so you will have to cut and paste it) is http://www.soundamerica.com
    the only trouble with this is that a lot of the wavs are saved in the new compressed .wav format so you will need to download the latest beta player from Microsoft (yes it does work!)

On the subject of looking for cool stuff does anyonne a) remember these b)know where I can find inof sounds pics etc on them?

Benjy, Zak and the alien prince
    Huckleberry Finn 1985 TV Series
    The Little Green Man and Zoom Zoom

Much Obliged!
    Ian Hallam

By Ian Hallam on Wednesday, July 8, 1998 - 08:04 am:
    Sorry About Double posting!
    sticky mouse

By Mitch on Thursday, July 9, 1998 - 12:47 pm:
    Well then, what do we have here!

Yep, Chorlton & the wheelies was too my favourite TV show at the time; considering it went out in the late seventies, and i am still only the tender age of 21, my memory of it is a bit hazy, but do seem to remember a fair amount about it - was it ever repeated?

Someone told me that ITV were repeating it a few months ago on daytime, but I looked in the TV guide and I never bloody saw it!

Yes, I also loved JAHMT (although the only episode I can remember is where he went to an inverted-reality land, and Jamie got arrested & put in jail for paying for an apple...weird).

Also remember Mosschops, sort of. Yes, he was another plasticine dinosaur who did talk to a dolphin-cum-shark-cum-dinosaur thing, and there was also this little flower thing that they had to keep watering, or else it would stop making it's tinkling noise...or something.

Thanks for the memories 8-)

By Marcus on Thursday, July 9, 1998 - 07:01 pm:
    Samantha, thanks for the tip for the "Jamie" theme tune - short but very very sweet. Now if someone could only find us those videos - they MUST exist somewhere...

And Mitch, I too have been a victim of that cruellest of practical jokes, someone telling me that "Chorlton" or another old classic is being repeated on tv, and going searching through tv mags to no avail. Some people are just so heartless...! (The only time it's actually been true is with "The Banana Splits", which turned out to be even stranger than I remembered it, and I thought my memories were pretty strange.)

Thanks for the updates, everyone - eventually someone will tune in who can put us out of our misery!!!

By Marcus on Thursday, July 9, 1998 - 07:11 pm:
    (By the way, Jim/Pajamaboy, if you're ever back on this thread again, thanks for the greeting earlier - having wandered round this strange ol' site quite a bit, I suspect you mistook me for someone else - I think I'm not the Marcus (or Markus) you thought I was, but it's nice to be greeted by such a legendary figure as yourself anyway. Everyone (nearly) is so friendly round at Sorabji's house, it warms my heart and brings a tear to my eye!!!!!)

OK, back to Chorlton now...

By Steve Yarwood on Saturday, July 11, 1998 - 06:51 pm:
    I need a wav of Chorlton saying "Hello little old lady" just to bring a tear to my eye at a misspent youth.Or any news on the where abouts of a video.
    Chorlton is a fond memory that I will always carry

By Joanne on Monday, July 13, 1998 - 11:48 am:
    Ian - I remember Huck Finn - ah yes, blond haired tyke running about all over the place - much more preferable to Worzel Gummidge which was on also on Sunday Mornings. Haven't managed to find anything specific on this tv series mind you...perhaps not weird enough for people to devote their time too??

anyone here a moomins fan by any chance? (yes, those little white finnish trolls, penned by Tove Janson...)

By Anuszka on Tuesday, July 14, 1998 - 06:07 am:
    I want information about mosschops, my better half keeps going on about him but i dont remember him.
    Please and ta.....

By Ian Hallam on Wednesday, July 15, 1998 - 05:20 am:
    I remember the Moomins, wasn't there a character called moomin troll? and another character that was always writing his/her/it? memoirs?

By C. on Wednesday, July 15, 1998 - 07:48 am:
    Ok so Chorlton and Mosschops were real, what a relief.
    But please please help me put my mind at rest....
    The New Schmoo - anyone out there remember the little guy?

C.

By Bee on Wednesday, July 15, 1998 - 08:19 am:
    I think i rememeber the new schmoo someone enlighten me.

By Mitch on Wednesday, July 15, 1998 - 10:02 am:
    I thought this was a Chorlton & the wheelies page!!

If you want to talk about 'the new schmoo' or Huck Finn, go to a new schmoo/huck finn page, dammit!

Mitch 'Trying to bring the site back in tow but probably just seeming like a miserable old git' Warner

PS. Stevie Boyle - excellent site! Where did you get all the piccies/info? Do you own a Chorlton video, and can I have a copy if you do!!

By C. on Wednesday, July 15, 1998 - 10:03 am:
    Hi Bee
    he was a white blobby thing that changed into useful objects.
    I think him and his friends solved mysteries (along the same line as captain caveman and scooby)
    C.

Has anyone found any schmoo websites?

By C. on Wednesday, July 15, 1998 - 10:07 am:
    Sorry Mitch

I love Chorlton and myself and office buddies have been singing along to his theme tune all morning after finding this site.

But I desperately need help with my schmoo search.

By Joanne on Thursday, July 16, 1998 - 08:41 am:
    It's a chorlton thing, yeah, but the thing about the chorlton thing is that it's all about these other things as well. I know. I started it <g>

the wotsit writing the memoirs wore a dress and it began with an H...moomintroll hung around with all his friends, one of whom played a flute and traveled a lot, and they found the hobgoblins hat which was magic and made all the words come out of the dictionary and they camped on the island of the hattifattners who glowed in the dark

By Joanne on Thursday, July 16, 1998 - 07:31 pm:
    Hemulen and snuffkin, and moomintroll loved the Snork maiden, "but it always gets very difficult with girls". I cheat I still have the book

By Starchy on Friday, July 17, 1998 - 10:12 am:
    Hmm... I think I have the Exploits of Moominpappa and one of the others floating around somewhere...

Probably not the same somewhere I currently live, unfortunately.

By Ian Hallam on Friday, July 17, 1998 - 01:50 pm:
    Appologies, if it annoys anyone to talk about non Chorlton related stuff, but as a sugestion, how about an annex area of this page, in which general chit chat about kids TV was acceptable.

Whilst were on the subject ot general childrens TV I have managed to aquire a number of Flumps annuals and thus would be able to Scan images from them, but I have no idea, let alone no space to post them, if anyones intersted drop me a mail and we'll come to some sort of arangement.

Back to Chorlton stuff, it occured to me that UK Gold may hold the rights to Chorlton and would it be worth contacting them, even if they don't hold the rights they must know who does or would be able to put you in touch with the people in the know.

Ian

By Alex on Tuesday, July 21, 1998 - 11:48 am:
    blimey a page devoted to talking about chorlton and co.. .... you are all mad!!!!! Anyone tracked down some videos yet?

By Jen on Monday, July 27, 1998 - 12:16 pm:
    Wow this is great! I had no idea there were so many of us. For anyone of you who haven't seen the Channel 4 website, there's a whole newsgoup devoted to bringing back 70s/80s Kids TV programmes and Chorlton and the Wheelies is the one that crops up most in discussion.

On the subject of a Chorlton video, someone mailed the .4 site a few weeks ago to say he'd made friends with a TV producer (friends in high places eh?!) and blagged a copy of the video from him but he couldn't/wouldn't make any more and didn't know anything about a commercial supplier. Some people are just sadists.

If any of you have any success in finding out about a Chorlton/J&TMT vid. please let me know too!

Thank you muchly (I'm off to have a look at Mr Boyle's website)

Jen

Jenny_Boylan@ecotec.co.uk

By Tracy on Friday, July 31, 1998 - 06:34 am:
    I found this page by accident but it brought back so many fantastic memories. I loved Chorlton and can remember singing along to the theme tune.I'm 38 now and it seems like only yesterday.That witch was a right cow but she didn't ever scare me because Chorlton always had the last laugh. The don't make shows like that anymore - who wants to see mutant turtles when you can have a gorgeous little dragon!!

By Kirsty on Tuesday, August 4, 1998 - 06:03 pm:
    This is such a great page, I remember all of this stuff! I was originally looking for Mosschops stuff but I can't find any. Can anyone help? Does anyone remember Pullover, a green woolly monster?

By Jason Whitworth on Friday, August 7, 1998 - 08:40 am:
    I really really really need a vid on J&TMT.
    Thanks.
    If anyone can help, contact me on Jason.Whitworth@infoproducts.co.uk.

By Steve on Wednesday, August 12, 1998 - 03:49 am:
    Okay, let's get 'em all out of the way...

Chorlton and the Wheelies
    Button Moon
    The Flumps
    Bod
    The Magic Roundabout
    Mr Ben
    King Rollo
    Bric-a-Brac
    Jamie and the Magic Torch
    Dangermouse
    Fingermouse
    Bagpuss
    James the Cat
    The Three Sentinels
    Battle of the Planets

Who ever runs this site should draw up a list of (or put links to) the best web pages to get pics and sounds for all of these top shows.

Luv,
    Steve.
    Wilfus@Hotmail.com

By Sleazy Leezy on Thursday, August 13, 1998 - 09:37 am:
    Fan bloody tastic is all I can say!

What a revalation. I also thought that I must have dreamed the whole chorlton experience up because nobody else could remember it.

I love you all!

By NZ Angel on Sunday, August 23, 1998 - 10:36 pm:

Wow, so much nostalgia!

We had Chorlton in NZ too, and you won't believe this, but Dangermouse is currently running (I saw part of an episode a couple of weeks back when flicking channels). Love that JB spoof!

Good old NZ TV. Don't make any decent local content, but recycle the british classics long after the rest of the world has forgotten them.

I didn't know there were Moomin TV series. I had about 6 books and read them over and over. I think I still have them somewhere. Any chance someone has a vid of Moomins?

If you are going to have a site for classic kids tv, you have to include Thunderbirds, Joe 90 and all the other puppet series (actually, that's probably a site all by itself).

By MoonUnit on Monday, August 24, 1998 - 06:03 pm:

Hey NZ Angel, I'm from NZ too and can kinda remember Chorlton... I love DangerMouse but my fav English cartoon was Jamie and the Magic Torch...anyone reember that??

By MoonUnit on Monday, August 24, 1998 - 06:03 pm:

Hey NZ Angel, I'm from NZ too and can kinda remember Chorlton... I love DangerMouse but my fav English cartoon was Jamie and the Magic Torch...anyone reember that??

By NZ Angel on Monday, August 24, 1998 - 08:20 pm:

MoonUnit if you get up early on Saturdays, TV2 have DM on at about 6am. I checked the TV Guide last night!

By MoonUnit on Tuesday, August 25, 1998 - 12:44 am:

ahhh 6am!!

By NZ Angel on Tuesday, August 25, 1998 - 01:40 am:

Sorry. Still you can always tape it and watch at a more civilised hour :)

By Joanne on Tuesday, August 25, 1998 - 07:14 am:

amazing fact i discovered the other day - there were only six episodes of Mr Benn ever made - it just seemed like there were more.

By Christophe lammie pie on Tuesday, August 25, 1998 - 11:30 am:

I'm also looking for a video of Chorlton,
    I've contacted Thames telly but they said they
    wouldn't been able to get a copy anymore.
    If anyone can help contact me at
    wheelyworld@hotmail.com

By Chris on Tuesday, August 25, 1998 - 11:49 am:

Hi folks! Me again,
    after a quick search I found some pictures
    of Chorlton, only drawings though which I thought
    people might like to go see..
    www.bonhams.com/auct/a960905/I104-100.jpeg
    There are also pictures from camberwick green
    and basil brush if anyone wants to have a jolly
    fun time looking through.
    Sadly, this auction was from 1996.. poo
    By 4 now... Chris
    wheelyworld@hotmail.com

By Lisa on Thursday, August 27, 1998 - 07:14 am:

Hi, been reading this and Oh! what memories!!
    By the way there were actually 13 episodes of Mr Benn made and also 13 of Bagpuss..Here is a site I have found that has an A-Z of childrens programmes new and old..including:- Bagpuss, Clangers, The Magic Roundabout, Mr Benn, Rainbow, Rentaghost (remember that?) and The Wombles..unfortunately no J&hmt or Chorlton and co. but I'm still searching...

http://www.csgtv.com/mnchild.htm

If I find anything else I'll let you know..oh and I remember mosschops too!

By Lisa on Thursday, August 27, 1998 - 07:23 am:

By Ian Hallam on Friday, September 4, 1998 - 02:58 pm:

Greetings one and all, and a big hello to the people down under (well it is if you live in the UK)
    A very cool site has just been updated and is now even cooler in my honest opinion, its called watched it and has all the classics

http://www.geocities.com/TelevisionCity/1011/index.html

take care

Ian

By Lisa on Wednesday, September 9, 1998 - 03:44 pm:

For those of you who adore Bagpuss and Mr Benn as much as Chorlton and the wheelies, you can now buy the videos for £3.99 at HMV and most likely other places aswell, but unfortunately no sign of them re-releasing Chorlton or Jamie.

Thanks Ian, particularly chuffed with the adventure game! Thought his Highness was something I imagined during a very nasty case of tonsilitus!!

By Fred Sponge on Sunday, September 27, 1998 - 11:54 am:

I Know Of Were A Copy Of The Charlton And The Weelies Video Is Avalible,Along with Jamie And His Magic Torch. If Anybody is Intrested Please Contact Me>

By Lisa on Monday, September 28, 1998 - 11:11 am:

Fred, we can't get in touch if you don't leave your email address, oh and for anyone thats interested hmv also do BOD videos and a compilation called seventied kid or something (by the same people who do magic round about and the herbs).

By Lisa on Monday, September 28, 1998 - 11:13 am:

Fred, we can't get in touch if you don't leave your email address, oh and for anyone thats interested hmv also do BOD videos and a compilation called seventied kid or something (by the same people who do magic round about and the herbs).

By Ian Hallam on Thursday, October 8, 1998 - 03:15 pm:

Hi Peeps,
    Cracking piece of nostalga turned up at work the other day (Beatties Toy Shop) An original Rainbow and an original Count Duckula video. Sensing there may be other gems lurking in video archives somewhere I got onto the suppliers a London based company called Prism Leisure. The receptionist was very pleasant, howver she said she would have to put me through to sales. Anyway to cut a long story short apparently they buy in the videos from a seperate supplier and just sell them on to companies like the one I work for!. She was however not willing to send me a catologue as she claimed it was huge, she was also not willing to photocopy the relevant pages on childrens tv
    (which annoyed me because I work for Beatties and we have a very large account with them shall I say) but she did let slip that there supplier can get hold of and does have a massive collection of videos, including ones that have been deleated ALLEDGEDLY. I therefore think it is time to launch a campaign to find out who this supplier is, maybe if we badger Prism enough they will relent and tell us (The Chorlton adoring public) where all the videos are!!.

The battle starts here, please let me know if anyone is interested in joining the crusade!

P.S. Does anyone remember (have any info on) a programme called Heads and Tales with a bloke called Derrick Griffiths who owned a red setter.

By Fred Sponge on Thursday, October 8, 1998 - 05:02 pm:

Hi Its Me Fred again. The video of charlton means a lot to me so could you all say how much youd pay.I also think there should be a sight on Cosgrove Halls Wind In the willows>

By JOE SOAP on Thursday, October 8, 1998 - 05:16 pm:

FRED....YES...HELP!!!! I WANT THOSE VIDEOS...TELL ME WHERE I CAN GET THEM PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE !!!
    IT SEEMS ME AND MY MATE MARTIN (TOWL..FOR COMICAL EFFECT) ARE NOT THE ONLY JAMIE AND HIS MAGIC TORCH FANS IN THE WORLD AFTER ALL...I AM SO SO RELIEVED!

I NEED YOUR HELP.

PLEASE CONTACT ME ASAP

By Freddy Sponge on Thursday, October 8, 1998 - 05:45 pm:

The Charlton Videos could be done as an exchange.i collect thomas the tank videos(im not sad)and i am missing a few.if anybody has any they would be intrested in exchanging please leave full details of whats on them.by the way could peaple who are intrested in the charlton video say a rough price.oh and fineally in some B Wise stores they have a duckulu and a rainbow videos for £2.99!If anyone knows of any more bargains lease leave word.

By Justin Sibley on Friday, October 9, 1998 - 01:55 pm:

A good sight this is.I am a huge fan of kids Tv from all decades.Charlton was shown onuk Gold in 1993 at 615am.Also shown on gold that year was rainbow and button moon.If anybody has any questions about other kids tv stuff leave a message here and ill repley.By the way wind in the willows was on channel 5 recently which was made by Thames and cosgrove hall.Has anyone thought of asking them if theyd show anything?I also want to find another wind in the willows fan like me.identefy yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Fred Sponge on Sunday, October 18, 1998 - 08:08 am:

"For Gods SAKE SOMEONE LEAVE A MESSAGE!!!!

By Shaun Baines on Thursday, October 22, 1998 - 03:07 pm:

There was a video called bedtime stories avalible in the 80s featuring jamie and his magic torch,wind in the willows and cockleshell bay.If any one has a copy please leave word.

By FRED SPONGE on Thursday, October 22, 1998 - 03:14 pm:

The video company that would have the rights to all this great stuff is VCI.I am going to wright of to them suggesting they releise a video including epesodes of the following,wind in the willows ,charlton and the weelies,jamie and his magic torch,cockleshell bay,button moonETC.Also to the person who wanted info on button moon up the page vids are still avalible.AND DONT BE AFRAID TO LEAVE WORD OR ASK ME QUESTIONS.

By Jen on Friday, October 23, 1998 - 05:32 am:

Fred

Cheers for your last message. As a 'Chorlton' fan, at last it looks like there might be light at the end of the tunnel. If you post the details for VCI we could all write to strengthen your campaign.

Bye for now

Jen

By Mitch on Sunday, October 25, 1998 - 01:32 pm:

I've had a look on the VCI website
    (www.vci.co.uk), and although there is no mention
    of C&TW or J&TMT, they do have a few old Kids TV
    titles (such as Thomas the tank engine, Wind in
    the Willow and the Wombles).

I'm going to write to them on their site
    (webmaster@vci.co.uk)and see if they do own
    rights to C&TW and if so do they have any plans
    on releasing it. I'll also point them at this
    site, just to give them added incentive!!!

Cheers for the info, Fred

By Neil Ruddok on Friday, November 27, 1998 - 05:08 pm:

I am the footballer Neil Ruddok.I have been brousing through your sight and I think its good.Keep up the good work Fred and gang.

By Fred sponge on Tuesday, December 1, 1998 - 01:52 pm:

Any luck yet Mitch? I aint!

By GS on Tuesday, December 1, 1998 - 02:07 pm:

I am Gloria Steinem-the feminine activist-and I think your site is thoroughly deranged........
    Keep away from this site, Neil Ruddok !!!

(just kidding)

By Fred on Saturday, January 2, 1999 - 05:02 pm:

I am thinking of buying the Bod video from HMV.Can someone leave a brief review of it hear please?Id be grateful!!

By Fred on Saturday, February 20, 1999 - 07:08 am:

By Geeberish on Saturday, February 20, 1999 - 03:41 pm:

I waited three full minutes for this page to load so I could learn Fred's new e-mail address. Great.

ps...what's with the gibberish at the bottom of the page??

By Jen on Friday, March 5, 1999 - 11:17 am:

I take it no one has anymore news on C&TW vid.s/repeats then? :)

By Noel Mitchell on Tuesday, April 27, 1999 - 07:41 am:

now this takes me back
    i loved the broad lancashire accent of chorlton
    "hello little old lady "
    yeah mega cool
    sadly long gone and replaced by those sad multi coloured teletubbie things
    come back chorlton all is forgiven !!!!!

By Bagpuss on Tuesday, April 27, 1999 - 06:30 pm:

Sorry if this is too late.

I got the bod video.

HMV - can't remember the price. After the initial Fuck-me-I-remember-this-one type shock value it sort of wanes. But the Theme music makes it worth the price. It does contain EVERY Bod episode made though.

Haven't watched it with chemical enhancement yet, so it might be different when I can fully tap into my repressed childhood memories.

You can get a "seventies favourites" video from HMV with most of the shows mentioned above.

The teletubbies are the only tv program of the past decade with the same subversive vibe as the old seventies shows. Don't diss them man.

Anyway, can anyone remember Ludwig the violin playing egg thing. What the fuck was that all about???????

By The weasel on Wednesday, April 28, 1999 - 02:26 pm:

can someone PLEASE give me a website for "Stop it and tidy up"- you know it, Bee- have and bee quiet? Any good rainbow or Inspector gadget as well, would be much appreciated. Thanks my lovelies.

By The Clangers on Sunday, May 2, 1999 - 06:28 pm:

Sorry Weasel!!!!!!!!!!

By Emmi on Tuesday, May 18, 1999 - 02:23 pm:

I remember Ludwig!!!! V trippy indeed! The theme tune was something by Beethoven (obviously!) and didn't he play the trombone or something?

I remember Bod - does anyone recall the little skits with Ferdinand the frog and having to guess which flavour milkshake he was going to choose? It was usually lime.

I also remember Hector's House (was Humphrey cushion in that?), the Flumps and possibly something called Itsy and Bitsy who were red and yellow fluffy spider hand puppets. Pipkins was another one but this totally freaked me out as the puppets were all messed up and raggedy and lived in a really scruffy house - there was a monkey and Octavia the ostrich. Also the Moomins but they weren't so good - a bit depressing and Scandinavian.

On a slightly different note, does anyone remember an American cartoon called Speedy Gonzalez? His catchphrase was andalay-andalay and I haven't seen him on TV for years.

Does anyone remember any of these, or are these all products of my warped imagination?

By Gee on Thursday, May 20, 1999 - 04:29 am:

I remember the old woman who swallowed a fly. I don't know why she swallowed a fly. I guess she'll die.

By Fred on Saturday, May 22, 1999 - 01:15 pm:

Hi everyone.I am a collecter of Rainbow,Sooty and Wind in The Willows videos.If anyone has any to sell then please could you e mail me at chrisdoyle33@hotmail.com Cheers

By LYNDY on Monday, May 24, 1999 - 01:38 pm:

I'm in my element here! Please i need a bod site. What i don't understand though is why no one has mentioned Trumpton, Chiggley and Camberwick Green? I loved the episode where Windy Miller got drunk on his home-made cider! And the guy who was the butler in the big house!!

By Andy Marshall on Tuesday, May 25, 1999 - 09:23 am:

Amazing to actually find Chorlton fans at last!
    I remember Fennella the bad tempered welsh witch who lived in her bizarre lair called "Kettle Hill". She also had a son who was a giant and would make an occasional appearance in the form of a huge boot and stripey sock coming out of the sky!
    When Fenella used to disapear in the ground and reappear in the distance Chorlton used to say "How'd you do that little old lady?" in a hilarious northern accent!

By JIM ashton-under-Lyne on Sunday, May 30, 1999 - 09:30 am:

Mosschops!!!!!, My favorite cartoon of all time, It's hard to find anyone who has even heard of it!!, the bit at the end when he walks towards you
    over the hills, anyone know of any video's etc?

By Fred Sponge on Saturday, June 19, 1999 - 10:39 am:

I just thought I would say.Clangers series 1 is coming out on video and so is a video of The Flumps.

By Karia on Saturday, July 3, 1999 - 09:36 am:

Out of interest if Ian Hallam still hangs around here.. you say you're from leicester, are you by any chance related to Montague Horatio Percy Hallam (who is buried in welford cemetry around the end of 19th century??) Just intrigued..

By Mosschops on Wednesday, July 14, 1999 - 10:36 pm:

I cant find anyone or anything else that knows Mosschops, please let me know. This is the only hit I can get for him. He did speak, he lived on sand as well. He had a funny voice and said mmmmm a lot. I used ot have an anual, but have lost it.

By Karia on Saturday, July 17, 1999 - 10:02 am:

I can picture Mosschops in my head and vaguely have remember him having a thing for flowers but other that that nothing.

By Nicola on Tuesday, July 20, 1999 - 01:06 pm:

To all those people out there who remember MOSSCHOPS - what was the name of the aquatic dinosaur type character that lived in the water ? Someone must remember the name !!
    Please Email me at nicolasuzanne@hotmail.com.

By Joanne on Thursday, November 9, 2000 - 03:27 pm:

someone must have listened. you can buy chorlton on video. amazing.

By Karia on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 05:37 pm:

I bought both Videos last year and they are even better than I remember!

By Joanne on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 09:14 am:

I can barely believe it's been three years since I posted this. For Christmas a kind soul bought me a Chorlton DVD .. and then I remembered this post, so I'm glad to see that it's still here.

Bizarre, indeed.

By moonit on Thursday, January 10, 2002 - 03:39 pm:

Blackstar.co.uk will have all your English cartoon/kid shows on video or dvd no doubt.

I should see if they have Jamie and the Magic Torch.

By Ste on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 08:26 am:

Anyone know where I can buy "Stop it and tidy up" videos for my boyfriend?It was an excelent cartoon narrated by none other than Terry wogan, none of the chracters talked but made weird noises and were all named after things your parents sed like ' go and play' and 'comb your hair'... bit of class.

By Shhteve on Monday, November 15, 2004 - 01:27 pm:

Fucking clown shoes

By Pikey on Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 09:58 am:

Mr Benn,

Does anyone know where i can download the theme tune to this childrens 70's program.

We have a lad at work who has done more jobs than Mr Benn !!!!

By Antigone on Wednesday, April 6, 2005 - 11:38 am:

By Eve.smithhomecall.co.uk on Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 05:36 am:

i have original starwars toys for sale but dont know where to start to get a buyer for them..and H-man figures and A-team figures and Corgi cars and trucks still in boxes..if you can help please contact me on..
    eve.smith@homecall.co.uk
    thanks....

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact