Bob Costas

sorabji.com: Weeds: Bob Costas
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Dougie on Monday, May 8, 2000 - 08:54 am:

He's oh so mellifluous, he's oh so learned,
    He's oh so witty, and turns a phrase oh so beautifully,
    And I wish somebody would club his skull in like a baby seal.

By Margret on Monday, May 8, 2000 - 09:59 am:

Heh heh heh heh heh.

I like that thoughtful and sincere expression he has. It says: I am a smart guy who likes sports. I am well-educated. But somewhere deep in my body, testosterone courses.

You could force him to do the play by play of the darts match in which he is the target. I would love to help someone assign point values to the parts of his body.

By J on Monday, May 8, 2000 - 01:44 pm:

I always get the impression that if you bought him for what he,s worth and sold him for what he thinks he,s worth, you,d be a millionaire.

By Dougie on Monday, May 8, 2000 - 03:18 pm:

Yeah Margret, "...that brings Joe Sixpack to the toeline. Joe has been struggling as of late; he worked his way up through the Weeknight Dart Farm Leagues the past couple of years and finally made the bigtime, earning a spot in the coveted Friday Night League, but he just hasn't had that form that earned him the moniker, "Joey Joe Joe Shabadoo." He's 0 and 4 on the road, and 2 and 2 with a no decision here at his home bar, the quaint yet amusing Johnnie's Tavern, and the crowd is with him on this, this glorious evening for darts. At any rate, that's neither here nor there, Ueck, because that's a mighty big dart he's sharpening up and preparing to wield against yours truly. Here's the windup and there's the pitch -- oooh, it's a high inside fast one, hitting me right in the left eye. Bullseye -- you know, I think he got me in the pupil, threading that needle like the old pro he is. Owweeee, that's gotta hurt, and I can tell you that it does indeed. Well, Ueck, Joey certainly has quieted his doubters as to his arm strength, because this sucker is about to come out the back of my head! I haven't seen that kind of stuff from a youngster since I heard on the radio as a kid the fabled broadcast of Mel Allen calling a 1937 dart match in Philly between Lefty Franklin and Righty Gomez. And we'll be back with more of this heroic, epic game of darts, right after these words from our sponsors."

By MapleLeaf on Monday, May 8, 2000 - 04:03 pm:

hehehehehehe !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dougie....you just made my day. Thanks

By Dougie on Monday, May 8, 2000 - 05:44 pm:

Thanks, MapleLeaf. Glad to be of help.

By patrick on Monday, May 8, 2000 - 06:16 pm:

your Leafs need help eh Maple?

Flyers ain't so bad off now are they?

Did you catch the longest game in 64 years?

holy moly......

By Dougie on Monday, May 8, 2000 - 07:16 pm:

Hockey schmockey. Longest game literally or figuratively? To me, they're the same. Flyers may be doing ok, but the sixers are going DOWN tonight. Reggie Miller's da man.

By patrick on Monday, May 8, 2000 - 07:37 pm:

no, literally, the other night flyers and penguins went to 5 overtimes with the flyers finally winning it. thats 8 periods, thats almost three games back to back. 8 hours they played......3rd longest game in NHL history.

i think Bouche lost like 8 lbs during that game.

Note to dieting men and woman. Play hockey for 8 hours in full gear to loose weight fast.

basketball is for the birds

By Dougie on Monday, May 8, 2000 - 08:11 pm:

Yeah, I heard about that game. But now, must go watch Indiana kick Philly's butt. Marv Albert, the cross-dresser, and Mike Fratello, the czar of the telestrater await me. Can't they breed generic announcers? Actually, they're the least annoying of the pack. Bill Walton's next on my shitlist. Anyways, play some playground bball in summer in 90 degree heat. You'll lose weight and you'll be playing a game you don't need $900 worth of equipment to play.

By moonit on Monday, May 8, 2000 - 09:00 pm:

Right then.

http://www.msnbc.com/onair/bios/b_costas.asp

Now I know. - Sometimes I feel like I live on the other side of the world.

Oh wait, I do.

My cousins play hockey and they are so bloody skinny and now I know why. However I prefer to lift weights and kick/punch air to music rather than slam into walls/people.

By Dougie on Tuesday, May 9, 2000 - 08:25 am:

Yeah, that's NBC's party line on the guy. The following is a pretty funny take on NBC's coverage of the Olympics. It's not so much a jab at Costas as it is the smarmy, insipid, jingoistic coverage of the Olympics by American TV:

http://www.his.com/~tkuster/humor/nbcolympics.htm

By the way, my kardiac kids gave me a big scare in the 4th last night in Indy, but they pulled it out as I knew they would.

By Uther on Tuesday, May 9, 2000 - 11:43 am:

you know, i have a theory that all the pomp and self-importance that us 'muricans inject into our sports is what keeps us from having things like soccer hooligans. we ritualize it and make it BIG AS 'MURICA enough that we don't need any more excitement, like riots. so be glad.

By Dougie on Tuesday, May 9, 2000 - 12:12 pm:

Oh yeah, it's just wonderful seeing Michael Jackson performing at halftime at the Super Bowl in a show where the production costs could probably feed a small country for a year. I am so glad. Hooray for everything!

By MapleLeaf on Tuesday, May 9, 2000 - 01:03 pm:

Yes Patrick, I watched that game until the end of the third overtime period...I figure if they can't decide it in 6 periods then they are on their own ..besides it was 1.00 AM. A guy I work (?) with stayed up to watch the whole thing...except he missed the goal as he was urinating in the appropriate room at the time...... he is a rookie and didn't realize you keep a container handy near the TV during playoff time :0)

The Flyers are looking better.

The City of Toronto is in mourning today ....they absolutely stunk the place out....terrible ...a disgrace.

I have a vanity plate on my car which also has the Toronto Maple Leaf logo on it. If it wasn't against the law to deface your tags I would be putting a big black X over it.

Dougie...the Pacers nearly blew it...Sixers are in trouble now with Snow gone.

By Uther on Tuesday, May 9, 2000 - 01:08 pm:

michael jackson performed at the superbowl?

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, May 9, 2000 - 01:55 pm:

Uther, what part of the country are you from?

By Dougie on Tuesday, May 9, 2000 - 02:05 pm:

Uther, how do you pronounce your name? Is it like "ooter" or is like "Luther" with the L lopped off?

And by Michael Jackson, I meant some such annoyance as him. A la Kathy Lee Gifford, or Whitney Houston, or the Judds. I think he did perform though, around the time he burnt his hair off doing a Pepsi commercial.

By Uther on Tuesday, May 9, 2000 - 03:23 pm:

rhiannon: before i answer that question, what makes you ask? do you have a theory of your own you wants me to confirm or disprove?

douglas: i've already tole this on the "what are you doing board", but: i got the name after reading the arthurian legends in a little paperback version of bulfinch's mythology. uther pendragon is arthur's father. just dug the sound of it.

oothah, is the way it sounds in my mind. you can pronounces it any old way you want.

i think i've become inured to 'murican excesses like the superbowl. and over the weekend i heard read an excerpt from a book about soccer hooligans. the bit i heard was wheres the author had followed manchester united supporters to a game in italy where a riot broke out. i heard an englishman say once, a long time ago, that certain types of 'murican grandiosity can be blessings in disguise - keeping it in the screens or the stadiums where it belongs. may be partly true.

'sides, the way we market the superbowl should be the least of the rest of the world's worries concerning us.

By patrick on Tuesday, May 9, 2000 - 03:33 pm:

'muricans? who says this?

By Dougie on Tuesday, May 9, 2000 - 03:44 pm:

'muricans do. Come on, Patrick, get with the program.

By Uther on Tuesday, May 9, 2000 - 04:03 pm:

that's the way it always sounds when my father says it.

i've always thought we should get a proper name for this country.

By Merkin on Tuesday, May 9, 2000 - 04:27 pm:

By Rhiannon on Tuesday, May 9, 2000 - 05:32 pm:

No, see, that's why I want to ask. That's how people from the Philly/S. New Jersey/Wilmington area say it. Maybe people from other areas do too...I don't know. I just wanted to see if he was from around here, that's all.

By Uther on Tuesday, May 9, 2000 - 05:51 pm:

i am currently about 1600 miles from your position, rhiannon. i'm not transcribing my accent, particularly, just talking that way for the hell of it.

and i'm proud to be a merkin!

By MapleLeaf on Tuesday, May 9, 2000 - 07:54 pm:

Like I'm proud to be 'canajun'.

By Gee on Wednesday, May 10, 2000 - 02:14 am:

today when I came into work, Frank, one of the boys I work with said to me: "You know what I hate? I hate people who say 'The Leaf's are the greatest!' one day and then the next day they say 'the Leaf's suck!'. If you like a team you have to stick by it."

Frank is a really interesting guy. You could never tell just by looking at him how proper he is.

By MapleLeaf on Wednesday, May 10, 2000 - 10:30 am:

Gee....I think it is frustration with the Leafs rather than jumping on and off the bandwagon.

Toronto is the center of the hockey universe and it is disappointing that we haven't won the Stanley Cup in 33 years.

Stavro should be opening his pockets to pay some decent players to bring the Cup back to Toronto.

By patrick on Wednesday, May 10, 2000 - 01:04 pm:

i look forward to seeing the flyers bitchsmack the new jersey sluts......

By Dougie on Wednesday, May 10, 2000 - 01:50 pm:

Please, we're getting off the topic of Bob Costas, a man I love to hate. Please, spew venom about him. Make me feel better.

By Dougie on Saturday, September 16, 2000 - 08:42 pm:

He's BAAACK. It's Olympics time. God help us all.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact