Executions in the Good Ol' US of A

sorabji.com: Weeds: Executions in the Good Ol' US of A
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Dougie on Thursday, June 22, 2000 - 08:43 pm:

Texans are just itching right now to execute Gary Graham. They can just taste it. And George W is counting up the votes (by the way, is he also Pro-Life? That's an odd combo: Pro-Life and Pro-Death Penalty.) I'm not up on the whole story, but it appears that a single eyewitness fingered him 19 years ago for killing a grocery store employee (of course, he was white, Gary's black.) The gurus are saying that Gary's attorney was incompetent, and neglected to call any witnesses for the defense. No DNA evidence is available either. At any rate, I don't give a shit if this guy or anybody on death row makes Hitler look like Jesus. This country should NOT be in the business of murder. Because there's always the possibility of wasting an innocent man. "Woops, sorry mate, here, take these revitalization pills, there's been a horrible mistake." And because, even if you've got video tapes and a football stadium of witnesses against somebody, it's not the State's place to take a life. Don't give me that shit about not wanting to use taxpayer money to keep him alive for the rest of his life -- it's a fucking mini micro drop in the bucket. God forgive us all.

By Zephyr on Thursday, June 22, 2000 - 09:54 pm:

Death at the hands of the same crazy nuts whose republican convention wanted to get outta the UN, kill off the IRS, soc. Security, and all kinds of crazy stuff. I wouldn't trust it.

I'm not so much against a possibly more cruel alternative to the Death Penalty, but I think that such tech won't be available for at least another decade: a system that can jack directly into the CNS and stimulate all sorts of fear and pain...continually...without causing true damage. That way, you could be pulled off the thing, and I'm sure that rehabilitation from such wouldn't be difficult, assuming that it was possible to cause the damage in the first place.

People are so damn fickle and jealous

By Antigone on Friday, June 23, 2000 - 01:26 am:

I'm a Texan and I'm not itching to kill Graham. Of course, he's already dead, so thats' pretty moot. But, don't make sweeping generalizations. Not everybody in Texas is an asshole like the Shrub.

Personally, though, I'm not morally against the concept of the death penalty. In practice, though, I'm not sure it can be implemented fairly by the state.

By Zephyr on Friday, June 23, 2000 - 10:10 am:

HitlerJesus

By HitlerJesus on Friday, June 23, 2000 - 10:35 am:

Yes?

By Dougie on Friday, June 23, 2000 - 10:46 am:

Sorry Antigone, you're right, I shouldn't have generalized.

By Kalli on Friday, June 23, 2000 - 10:58 am:

I AM for the death penalty. Though, I understand why people aren't and I agree with them as well.

I am for the death penalty when there is solid proof that the crime was committed by the person on death row. I do not believe death sentances should be handed out lightly. We're talking super bad things here.

People make mistakes, and most people are deserve forgiveness. Even some people charged with murder. However, there are some things that take place, that I'm sorry, there is no excuse for. Around here, in the past few months, there's been three cases of infant death. The first one was microwaved to death, the second found drowned in a port--o-john, and the third in a mop bucket. This, is inhumane. There is no excuse except possible insanity and I'm not referring to the temporary kind. Ma and Pops best be in jackets and trying to chew themselves for the rest of their lives before insanity is an excusable defense. And parents that kill their children? It's sick. Jeffrey Dahlmer. Shit like that.

You can give me the whole "we can't be gods" but you know what? Fuck that.

This is OUR society. Has to function because we need to know how to make decisions.

By M on Friday, June 23, 2000 - 11:25 am:

By Nate on Friday, June 23, 2000 - 05:00 pm:

this is MY society.

and i maintain humans are failable.

which is why the death penalty is stupid.

so is bride burning.

alright, everybody off my world.

By droopy on Friday, June 23, 2000 - 05:43 pm:

:)

thanks, nate.

i won the bet.

By Cat on Friday, June 23, 2000 - 06:51 pm:

What no bride burning? Sheeesh. How am I expected to keep myself warm if I can't set fire to a big meringue dress every now and then?

By Bell_jar on Friday, June 23, 2000 - 08:38 pm:

i'm anti-death penalty and pro-choice. is that something you would see as a contradiction? i think they are two entirely different things, but i also like sauerkraut (sp?).

if you look at the statistics, which i don't have the time or real want to look them up and place them here for you, black men are on death row. occassionally a white man will pop up, but it's overwhelmingly black.

besides *begin the flowery music* people make bad decisions and i think that they should be held accountable, but also be able to work past those decisions. we're all different people when we are 10 than 20, 20 than 30...hell even today than tomorrow.

i don't believe this belongs here, but i don't want to start a new board. i just woke up from a pleasant nap and i had the most amazing dream. i was watching cartoons in a beautiful old theater as a child with a woman who wasn't my mother, but was. i kept sneaking out to run to this garden behind the theater. i was running along and i could literaly smell the flowers as i was running. my hair was blowing in the wind and the water from a fountain gently spraying somewhere in the garden. i could feel the cool cement sidewalk as i was running to pick up a particular plant that i took to a secret spot and then would bring it back to its previous place among the other plants. i don't recall my senses ever working so well in a dream.

By Zephyr on Friday, June 23, 2000 - 08:48 pm:

Um...hitlerjesus, are you still hanging out on a-s?

By Zephyr on Friday, June 23, 2000 - 08:53 pm:

That is quite the interesting dream. I wish i knew how to interpret all of that, but that seems like a fun experience.

Yeah.

Most dreams I have are usually nightmares. and I get them all confused with reality.

By HitlerJesus on Saturday, June 24, 2000 - 03:42 am:

I'd answer your question if I knew what "a-s" meant. By the way, my name is pronounced HitlerHayzeus.

By Zephyr on Saturday, June 24, 2000 - 05:57 am:

Oh, wrong HitlerJesus then. Sorry for the inconvenience, HitlerHayzeus!

(a-s meaning the whole ubb on anti-social.com)

By Antigone on Saturday, June 24, 2000 - 06:49 pm:

Isn't it odd that violent crime decreased dramatically 18 years after Roe v. Wade?

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact