my neighbors

sorabji.com: Weeds: my neighbors
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By Kalliooooope on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 04:26 pm:

Ok, so I figured I'd post in here instead of going next door and strangling the screaming kid and his redneck mother.

So when I first moved here, this building was sooooooo quiet. Couldn't hear a goddamn thing. Well, about three or four weeks ago, this little redneck mamma, probably not much older than me, with her two little children and barking senile dog move in.

Right now the kid is screaming "nooooo noooo nooooo" at the top of his lungs. But it's that kid scream. You know, when they use all their phlegm and you can hear it? Ugh. This morning when I got back from the airport, it was the fucking dog barking.

I really don't wanna complain to the landlord cuz I know I play my music really fucking loud sometimes but jesus christ.

Aggh, I don't wanna be back here yet.

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 04:48 pm:

Ugh. That sounds highly unpleasant. It's really quiet here, it's nice. No dogs!

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 06:23 pm:

I get so sick of the Harleys that are louder than WWII going by my bedroom window at 3 in the morning. If they wrapped themselves around a tree down the street (which I've often wished they'd do) I wouldn't lift a finger to help them.

By Kalli on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 06:31 pm:

Oh man, that reminds me of when I lived in NH. They used to have motorcycle weekend. Hundred and hundreds of motorcycles would come through town...and it was soooooo loud.

Ugh.

I want a bike tho. So I guess I shouldn't bitch too much.

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 06:39 pm:

Owning a bike is one thing. They're cool and all, but my brother hit a rock he didn't see on the highway going 65 and dislocated his shoulder, broke his arm, and was scraped up all over. Too much power for 2 wheels. And there's no reason in the world you need to be able to hear them coming from the next state over. That's just anti-social bullshit. Think they'd be pissed off if I sat my car in their driveway and laid on the horn while they were sleeping?

By pez on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 07:03 pm:

if airplanes turn when leaving/landing on the runway @ pdx, they do it right over my house. people from the area have been complaining about it for years. my neighbor across the street told me that once a plane flew so low over her house that the dishes rattled.

c'est degoutant, oui?

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 07:05 pm:

There's an airport here too, for small planes. Sometimes they buzz my house. The one I'm looking at is further away from the airport. Goodness.

By pez on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 07:12 pm:

did i mention that pdx is *only* 20, 25 miles away? and i'm talking jets.

i like planes, when i'm going somewhere else. somehow i always manage to get planesick on the way home.

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 07:23 pm:

Oui, vraiment degoutant. Heureusement, il n'y a pas de vols au-dessus de moi, meme que JFK n'est que 10 miles de chez moi.

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 07:27 pm:

I flew over your house!!!!! But you didn't wave.

By pez on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 07:33 pm:

please stop smirking.

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 07:37 pm:

Not living near an airport is one of the deciding reasons I try to avoid cities. Having planes blaze overhead at all hours--not my idea of fun. Even here, it's just little two seaters, and it feels like hell. I can't imagine living near jets. *shudder*
    For some reason, though, I like airports. I don't know why this is. They aren't terribly beautiful or exciting places, but something about them is highly appealing to me. Maybe it's because I attach the thrill of going somewhere to them. I don't know.
    Does anyone else here like airports? I didn't think so. So what's up with this?

By Dougie on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 07:43 pm:

Yeah, I kind of like airports. I like European airports where a sexy woman's voice announces all kinds of exotic locations in French, English and German. "Flight 201 is now boarding at Gate 21 for Djibouti..."

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 07:47 pm:

YAY!
    Someone else who likes airports. I hadn't even remembered the sexy voices. That's true.
    I felt bad for the lady working the counter out of SF--the flight right before mine was hellishly booked, and a bunch of people were utter assholes. I'm never a jerk to airport personnel. Usually it's not their fault that a flight has ben overbooked, and there's no reason for me to take it out on them...I felt bad because the poor woman was almost crying and trying to point out that there was nothing she could do...

By patrick on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 07:54 pm:

planes make noise

planes need to land

planes need airports to land

noise abatement laws are most likely already inplace

do you want service or do want a quiet house?

pissed you had to take a connecting flight?

if an airline can't meet certains local standards with certain models of airplanes they can't come to your town, or offer better service.

i lived with in one mile of Raleigh Durham International Airport, at the time it was an American Airlines hub, i was right in line for runway 5L-23R...the longest runway, which means the biggest jets landed and took off from there.

Loud? at times. during peak hours, especially during take off. they were so low, you could hear vortexs swirling and whipping above the tree line after they passed. did it really effect the quality of my life? no not really, nor for my parents, they have a wonderful wooded 6 acre property in a budding suburbia...the airplanes are irrelavent.

the locals did sue and they issued certain noise abatment restrictions. in reality it wasnt a big deal and became a non issue. it sometimes would rattle the windows, and sometimes i had to wait for one to pass when on the phone...but american provided direct service to just about anywhere straight out of raleigh..now, they moved out, and moved their hub somewhere else. to get a flight into raleigh, you most likely will need a connecting flight unless you use midway airlines, which made raleigh their hub and where the hell are they.

anyway....

You know when you take off and with in 2 minutes, power is cut, it feels like you are dropping yet the plane is still pointed up. that because homechicken has to cut the power a bit to appease some whiny ass neighbors whose track homes were built right in the runway path of the airport. i think we want all the service but none of the "costs". people may bitch about plane delays, and yes it can be a bitch, but ultimately there are so many planes, i would have no problem being late as opposed to compromising safety in the form of shortening intervals for planes to take off....i'll wait.

shit i sound like i need to get laid, all uptight and all......pardon me

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 08:24 pm:

It's a good point. I choose not to live near airports because I dislike the sound. It's that simple. If I didn't care, I'd live near an airport. I like flying. A lot. Connecting flights=more time on planes. More time on planes=good. I also like taking off and landing because I see more stuff.
    Anyway.
    Noise abatement silly. Except for Concorde. When I was in Eire, they would always start up the mondo engines over our heads in direct violation of the laws. It was fucking loud. Sonic booms. Loud. VERY LOUD. Cool sounding, but loud. Not a goodness.

By moonit on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 09:14 pm:

Airports Rock!

When I flew to Wellington the other day they
    gave us nice food... chocolate peanut slab
    heaven.

We've just had this freak wind come up, its
    real scary but really cool, The windows are
    rocking.

By JusMiceElf on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 10:32 pm:

Try living in the flight path of an Air Force base. The big cargo planes fly out of Westover, and those suckers are loud.

There aren't a lot of airports that I like. LAX sucks ass. Ontario's not so bad, and I liked Toronto, but not so much after my last flight out of there. Don't get me started on DFW.

What would suck is living near an airport that suddenly becomes a hub. There was a bit on NPR a while ago about a town near the airport that's the hub for either UPS or FedEx (I can't remember which). After years of putting up with normal airport noise, these folks suddenly had to deal with a near mass exodus of flights at five AM.

By Isolde on Tuesday, October 3, 2000 - 10:50 pm:

LAX is horrid. It's ne of my least favorite airports. Heathrow and Orleans are my favourites.

By pez on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 02:47 am:

sometimes we even have helicopters flying over out house. military helicopters (wait...there's a military camp about 7 miles away...nevermind).

i'll move when i can scrape up the money to pay my own way. and right now, with just having shelled out around $500 for books within the last two weeks, my bank account is feeling empty. and i haven't even begun paying union dues yet.

By patrick on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 12:36 pm:

hehe, we got the helicopters, they are called ghetto birds....LAPD usually keeps about 5-8 ghetto birds in the air at any given time...they fly low, they fly fast and they are annoying....

i too like, flying, airports and all the neatness surrounding them. i dont' really have a favorite airport. Paris's Orly was kinda neat at 6 am....very 60s futuristic with the sexpot voice overs.....

i've heard the sonic boom of an f-15, 500 feet off the deck at Oshkosh Wisconsin airport at midfield...and the afterburner of a vintage Mig-21 , and the sonic boom of the f-117 stealth fighter....neat shit...loud indeed, fucking loud, imagine being the pilot of said jet, being 10-20 feet away from the source of noise and power. how intense would that be. and they say sitting on the spin cycle is exciting.....fer chrissakes, imagine being at the helm of one of those jets...

By Isolde on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 12:40 pm:

They must have some intense ear gear.
    I remember the helicopters in LA. Silly me, I thought they were just for us. They were really cool, especially the ones with the searchlights.

By J on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 01:55 pm:

We have them here too,I've rode in a helicoptor once.We were trapped at the dam,with no power or phone,I had to walk down to the dam and tell my husbands boss that Amee had pnumonia and we had to get to the hospital.I should post about that sometime,but I had started a thread about things that make me happy and then lost power,had to call someone for help cause I couldn't get back online till now,and I type with 2 fingers and just can't go through it again right now.

By moonit on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 02:46 pm:

We've now got silent aiports.

No 'bing bong Flight 1486 to Wellington is now boarding'.

I hate it.

It means you have to now pay attention to screens

By Nate on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 05:17 pm:

uh, when you're traveling at super-sonic speeds you don't hear the sonic boom. you out run it.

that's why it happens.

By Cat on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 05:31 pm:

I'm half way through getting my pilot's licence. I just love it. The only prob is the physics and literally trying to work out which way is up. Bet you'd all love to be my passenger after hearing that, huh?

By patrick on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 05:58 pm:

well of course nate.....

whoa cat......!! thats so cool.....

im fascinated with aviation, served sometime in our Civil Air Patrol here as a teenager, have a grandpa who is s pilot, and other families members who flew in wars and such. i was just short of joining the airforce at one point.

are just learning VFR or are you going for the gold and getting your IFR certificate as well?

By Isolde on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 08:45 pm:

I want to be a pilot!
    For a while, I wanted to join the airforce, but I have bad eyesight.

By Cat on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 08:59 pm:

I'm just going for the VFR first...that takes 40 lessons as it is. And to be honest, the physics is bad enough at that level so I'm not sure if there will be an "IFR" anywhere on my log anytime soon.

I'm mainly training in a Cessna 1721. I can solo, but I can't officially take any passengers yet, so you're all safe for the time being.

By Isolde on Wednesday, October 4, 2000 - 09:18 pm:

I assumed you weren't joining the airforce...but for a while, I wanted to be an airline pilot, and air force trained pilots are usually hired for that postion. But I can't see, so I would have been rejected.

By pez on Thursday, October 5, 2000 - 01:27 am:

i feel your pain, isolde. i thought it applied to all pilots.
    i can get a pilot's degree at my school. or be a funeral science major.

By moonit on Thursday, October 5, 2000 - 01:30 am:

Isolde you could have laser eye surgery.

My Uncle Brian is learning to fly. He loves it.

By semillama on Thursday, October 5, 2000 - 09:42 am:

My dad was in the air force, and he only has vision in one eye.

You don't need depth perception to read a radar screen, I suppose.

Helicopters are damn loud. I had a Cobra fly about 20 feeet over my truck as I was passing the air field on Post one day last year, and damn was it LOUD!

By J on Thursday, October 5, 2000 - 10:24 am:

My aunt and uncle were pilot's,my aunt came in second in the powder puff derby once,lost by an eyelash.Funny how I hate to fly now,they gave me my first plane ride,and I was bored,till my uncle did something that made the plane sound like something bad was going to happen.The eye doctor said Ryan could never be a pilot cause he's color-blind,good thing,he can't drive a car any good.

By patrick on Thursday, October 5, 2000 - 12:37 pm:

my great uncle flew b-17s over germany, my great aunt wasa theater pilot, meaning, she flew fresh hellcats, corsaires and other figthers to the various theaters during the war....she is one of my biggest heros...my grandpa flys a cessna 170, i've flwo a cessna 171 and a a varga trainer, that was a trip, i was with a an Airforce t-14 (?) trainer, he was in the front, i in the back, he told me to grab the stick and bank a 60 degree for a 2 g turn.....WOW....i dared him for 90 degree, he declined, had we been in the t-14 he trains with, we could have. i want to feel the senstaion a f-15 or f-22 pilot feels when he full throttles it from dead stop off the runway and pulls a 90 degree climb. i think sex would have to take a back seat to that

By Kalli on Thursday, October 5, 2000 - 01:12 pm:

definitely. but it would depend with who really.

My hairdresser goes hand gliding off the mountains as a hobby. He invited me to go along with him one time. I'm trying to work the courage up.

I remember going to places like six flags and watching the people free fall. The second they dropped I'd always jump. It looks terrifying, but somewhat thrilling too.

Kalli needs to grow herself some ballsyballs.

Or not.

By Isolde on Thursday, October 5, 2000 - 01:16 pm:

Mesa afraid of laser eye surgery.

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact