Just like the white winged dove

sorabji.com: Weeds: Just like the white winged dove
THIS IS A READ-ONLY ARCHIVE FROM THE SORABJI.COM MESSAGE BOARDS (1995-2016).

By The Dinner Lady on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 04:09 pm:

sings a song, sounds like she's singin'
    "ooh baby, ooh, say ooh"

- And what exactly is Stevie Nicks talking about anyway here?

By Spider on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 04:39 pm:

Maybe she's just talking about the way a dove coos? It is about an older woman seducing a young man, right?

He was no more than a baby then
    Well he seemed broken-hearted
    Something within him
    But the moment that I first laid eyes on him
    All alone
    On the edge of seventeen

and so forth and so on...

By patrick on Wednesday, August 21, 2002 - 05:18 pm:

your attention to detail in such an irrelavent song is a bit troublesome spider. id be looking at you with peering odd eyes right now.

By Spider on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 09:44 am:

What are you talking about? The song is called "The Edge of Seventeen" and is off of Stevie Nick's first solo album, Belladonna, which I own. I know the words. I quoted some words. Does it trouble you to learn that I know the words to Ice-T's "Cop Killer" or Andre Williams' "Bone Me"?

By patrick on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 11:30 am:

yes

By The Dinner Lady on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 11:50 am:

I salute you in your Stevie Nicks knowledge Spider.

I also have questions about the bridge in 'Stand Back', 'Naa na na na na na na, na na, na na na na na na na, doo doo, doo doo, awwww, na na na na na na na'

Like, did she just run out of lyrics?

By Dougie on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 12:16 pm:

I never was a big Fleetwood Mac fan, but I always liked Landslide (the old version, not the new duo with her & Lindsey Buckinghman which isn't bad, but it's not the same). In fact I'm downloading it now, along with Pulling Mussels From A Shell. Squeeze was a great duo. I always liked them.
    "But behind the Chalet
    My holiday's complete
    And I feel like William Tell
    Maid Marion on her tiptoed feet
    Pulling mussels from the shell."

What makes the Edge of 17 song irrelevant Patrick?

I am superly duperly psyched today. Going on vacation right after work up to Cape Cod, for a week of foraging for Wellfleets and Cherrystones, catching stripers and blues, drinking some wine, eating some cheese and catching some rays.

By patrick on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 12:32 pm:

the stevie nicks/fleetwood fans come crawling out.

By Dougie on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 12:47 pm:

Holy shit. Just downloaded a Smashing Pumpkins acoustic version of Landslide. Never knew they covered it -- not bad at all.

By The Dinner Lady on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 01:15 pm:

I'm not a fan, I'm from New Hampshire.

It was foisted upon me as a youth.

By patrick on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 01:19 pm:

holy shit! i just downloaded 5 magnetic fields songs from the 69 love songs album.

By Dougie on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 01:20 pm:

Who/what are magnetic field songs?

By patrick on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 01:30 pm:

The Magnetic Fields

a very influential rock band for the last 10 or so years.

69 Love Songs is one of the more interesting conceptual albums i personally have listened to, in part, in a while.

By Spider on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 01:43 pm:

Dougie, get rid of that file. What an abomination.

I'm a fan, I admit it. I raised on that stuff. I like old Elton John for the same reason.

By spunky on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 01:43 pm:

Must not be too influential......

I used to love Fleetwood Mac, but I lost it when Clinton was using "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow" for his inaugeration party theme.

By spunky on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 01:47 pm:

I love the Old Elton John (pre "Sir").
    Doobie Brothers. Air Supply. Chicago. REO, BTO, Crosby Steels & Nash, Dan Fogleberg,
    Cannot stand Eric Clapton.

By Dougie on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 01:58 pm:

Which file Spider? Smashing Pumpkins? It's good I tells ya. Especially the guitar work behind the scenes. I did some diligent research and it turns out they released that on Pisces Iscariot, which I don't have. Come to think of it, the only Pumpkins I have is Mellon Collie.

By patrick on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 01:58 pm:

hey spunktard you can be assured that in 10 years there will be more muscians citing magnetic fields as an influence than fucking Reo Speedwagon. JAYSUZ CHRIST!

Dan Fogleberg?

holy shit

By spunky on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 02:10 pm:

What? I like them. Kiss my ass...

By sarah on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 02:21 pm:

first of all, Stevie Nicks is my "band in the closet". everyone has a band in the closet. kevin's brother ryan's band in the closet is The Bangles.

second of all, i've been on a late 70's early 80's stoner and classic rock music revival. most notably while in san diego this past weekend my friends thomas and joan and i had Steve Miller Band sing alongs. i mean, half my youth was steeped in shit like that. it reminds me of jack daniels and convertibles. also, i've come to re-love the song "Already Gone" by the Eagles. it's now sort of my anthem.

so yeah. fuckin' a. stevie nicks is bad ass.

By sarah on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 02:23 pm:

Well, I heard some people talkin' just the other day
    And they said you were gonna put me on a shelf
    But let me tell you I got some news for you
    And you'll soon find out it's true
    And then you'll have to eat your lunch all by yourself

'Cause I'm already gone
    And I'm feelin' strong
    I will sing this victory song,
    woo, hoo, hoo, woo, hoo, hoo

The letter that you wrote me made me stop and wonder why
    But I guess you felt like you had to set things right
    Just remember this, my girl, when you look up in the sky
    You can see the stars and still not see the light (that's right)

And I'm already gone
    And I'm feelin' strong
    I will sing this vict'ry song,
    woo, hoo, hoo, woo, hoo, hoo

Well I know it wasn't you who held me down
    Heaven knows it wasn't you who set me free
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

But me, I'm already gone
    And I'm feelin' strong
    I will sing this vict'ry song
    'Cause I'm already gone
    Yes, I'm already gone
    And I'm feelin' strong
    I will sing this vict'ry song
    'Cause I'm already gone
    Yes, I'm already gone
    Already gone
    All right, nighty-night

i love the very last line, especially.

buh bye sucka.

By The Dinner Lady on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 02:26 pm:

I also hate Eric Clapton. I additionally hate Creedence Clearwater Revival.

"a very influential rock band for the last 10 or so years."

Very?

To who?

Critically acclaimed and otherwise semi-ignored by those outside the indie-rock hoi palloi perhaps but I don't know about 'very influential'.

By The Dinner Lady on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 02:28 pm:

That Bangles first EP is terrific though. All Over the Place has its moments as well.

By Dougie on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 02:37 pm:

Take It Easy is one of my favs

"Four that wanna own me,
    Two that wanna stone me,
    One says she's a friend of mine"

Love that underlying banjo part too.

By patrick on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 02:50 pm:

i couldn't begin to tell you who dinner lady, just that ive read them cited as an influence many times......

to me, they are integral to rock and indie rock like Galaxy 500, Yo La Tango, Kendra Smith, Pere Ubu was 15-20 years ago. Their influence and talent has only begun to be realized. I believe in time to come you will see them cited like the aforementioned groups.

But thats my opinion, you can take it or leave it.

I think my band in the closet would be CCR

By eri on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 02:58 pm:

I like Stevie Nicks. Haven't heard of a single one of the ones that Patrick mentioned, so I wonder about how "influential" they are.

My band in the closet would have to be Three Dog Night.

By patrick on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 03:12 pm:

eri...heard of Lester Young? How about D'Jango Reinhardt? Leonard Cohen? Tom Waits (outside of sorabji)? John Cage?

These are regarded as some of the most influential musicians of the 20th century. Just because you've never heard of them doesnt really mean much in terms of influence.

By spunky on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 03:22 pm:

patrick,
    I would wager that the majority of listeners have not heard of them.
    And just because you think they are definately does not make it so either.

By spunky on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 03:33 pm:

What do you know about Eri's knowledge of things musical? That is one of her passions in life.
    Trust me, if I need to know something about some obscure group, I can usually ask her and she will know who I am talking about.

By patrick on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 03:36 pm:

ok spunktard.

no one i have mentioned is "obscure".

By Spider on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 04:00 pm:

"D'Jango Reinhardt?"

Uh, who?

I'd wager more people have heard of John Cage than could actually cite him as an influence. That would be some pretty bloody obscure music, right from the start.

By The Dinner Lady on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 04:06 pm:

They're not obscure, but I'm wondering if they are really 'influential', meaning influenced people to do a certain kind of work after their pattern. I can't think of anyone who sounds like Tom Waits, so who has he influenced? Leonard Cohen I'll buy though. I mean probably a lot of people would cite The Sugar Hill Gang as influential or Bomb the Bass or Jesus and Mary Chain if not only because all of these people innovated something new that was mimiced by others (early rap, sampling, and feedback as an instrument respectively).

I would say everyone on the Patrick list is well respected for sure though, and innovators as well.

Influential I think of more like The Ramones, or Japan, - people I can trace the obvious influence they exerted on others.

By spunky on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 04:10 pm:

I am not knocking Patrick's taste in music at all.
    I like a wide range of music.
    I was just wondering about the influential part

By patrick on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 04:29 pm:

you couldnt knock my taste holmes.

influence, is not exactly measured in audiable identity.

for example Lester Young is often revered as the godfather of bebop in terms of his chord progression and general 'eratic' style. He led the way for the likes of Charlie Parker,Dizzy Gilespie, Miles Davis and many others. You may not be able to hear his influence in the music but its there, they all say it is. The most revered bebop musician Charlie Parker paid all kinds of props to him.

Modern folk and country guitar playing owes so much to D'Jango Rheinhardt. Willie Nelson cites him as one of his greatest influences.

Robert Johnson for the Stones and the Hendrix.

Influence is not always obvious. I would even say many are influenced without even knowing it.

as an example...would you find influence in Nirvana from VU? I would.

By Spider on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 04:47 pm:

Likewise, I've read many interviews with bands who say, "I kept getting told we sounded like [X], and I was like, 'who are they?'"

I think PJ Harvey

By Spider on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 04:48 pm:

oops...

I think PJ Harvey sounds like she's been influenced by Iggy Pop's vocal style, but it could be a coincidence.

By patrick on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 04:59 pm:

could be....

id find tons of obvious influence on Polly from Patti Smith, who got a lot of influence from Iggy, so, i don't think its a coincidence.

By The Dinner Lady on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 05:10 pm:

God damn there ain't one original soul among them.

By The Dinner Lady on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 05:23 pm:

Except Jandek I mean

By semillama on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 05:45 pm:

Django also is a huge influence on Jazz
    guitarists.

I would say probably more so than Folk or
    Country artists.

Lots of bands are influential. Being influential
    is, I must stress, irrelevant as to whether the
    band in question is any GOOD.

By patrick on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 06:11 pm:

sure sem...i dont know much about jazz guitarists other than les paul and the fact he invented reverb. the whole category of jazz guitar baffles me i admit...guitar is a hard instrument to accept in the jazz realm.

imagine though having "Invented Reverb" on your resume.

By Margret on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 06:18 pm:

why do you people have shame about music that nourishes your soul with something other than nutrition? are you ashamed of loving mashed potatoes or pie?
    i don't have a closet any more, except for barry manilow...and even he is allowed out for visits.
    he's worse than mashed potatoes. he's like...a cold leftover spaghetti sandwich. comforting, familiar and delicious...but just WRONG.

By moonit on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 10:17 pm:

I just love old 80s crap music.

By spunky on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 11:12 pm:

You know what I really enjoy?
    the 1984 Soundtrack by the Eurythmics.
    Some of it is kind of "unimaginative", like
    there is one song on it that has some really good instrumentals, but the only words are "1984".

Of course I am just a huge fucked-up-future-movie
    nut.
    I used to secretly wish they would come true.

Until I had children.

By spunky on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 11:15 pm:

BTW, anyone know of a used copy of the movie for sale, please let me know. I have tried on ebay...

By dave. on Thursday, August 22, 2002 - 11:35 pm:

for me, my music in the closet or whatever it's caled would be jethro tull before thick as a brick, yes up through fragile, pre adrian belew king crimson, early procol harum, pre-"electric" t rex when it was just the 2 dudes tripping on middle earth. the brits ruled prog rock in the early 70s.

can't stand zeppelin, the stones, the who. also, zappa does nothing for me.

By sarah on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 01:14 am:

i'm high on margartias and ambien and listening to lyle lovett. my dad's in the kitchem, probably doint soomething he shouldn't be doing. he listens to both obscure and completely uninfluential/irrelevent music and burns me piles of CDs of the stuff and it's da bomb.

my girl cat has a really awful ingrown toenail. it doesn't appear to be infected, just very awkward for her to walk on. she'll need surgery.

today we say 1.5 million bats fly out from under a bridge like in a cloud of long, stringy smoke at sunset. they flew ni waves and made chirping noises. they snack on bugs. it was the coolest thing i've ever seen in texas. i want to go back tomorrow night, except we're meeting my work friends for happy hour and then going 2 steppin our hats and booots. saturday we're renting a harley and hes gaonnna drive us all around hill country all day. stop at the salt lick for bbq and beer and then come home and crash.

my dad rocks. he's got it all planned out for my return to hawaii, including kicking out his current tenant.'

but i'm to win the lottery son sunday. in which case, everything is moot.

all right, nighty night.

By dave. on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 02:02 am:

from the beginning of this 'move to texas' episode, i thought you were making a mistake. go back and truly appreciate the relative paradise of hawaii.

By semillama on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 09:44 am:

Yeah, sorabjites need a place to crash when
    we come visit.

By Spider on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 10:03 am:

I like Led Zeppelin. I also like James Taylor. I regret nothing!

Sarah, do you remember it taking a while for you to adjust to life in Hawaii?

By patrick on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 11:39 am:

hey dave, all my T Rex albums are Warrior and forward.

Do you have anything pre Warrior on mp3 you could email? Im search Gnutella. Also, do you have any of his "Johns Children" music?

By J on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 01:28 pm:

Dave, for the love of God, Jethro Tull?????

By semillama on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 01:49 pm:

You see, he uses a chicken to measure it.

By dave. on Friday, August 23, 2002 - 09:11 pm:

whaddaya mean? the earlier j tull is pretty great. 'up the pool' is one of my favorite songs.

patrick, i know i downloaded 'unicorn' and 'beard of stars' recently but i can't find them anywhere. i'll keep looking. if nothing else, i can make make something out of a tape i have and figure out a way to get that to you.

i liked zeppelin when i was 12. i'm eternally burnt out on it.

By moonit on Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 01:14 am:

when i was 15/16 I had this really sweet boyfriend name Richard, who we called Rick.

Guess which lz song we called 'ours' (its making me cringe thinking of it). We had the title engraved into silver id braclets which we wore.

I am one way cool kiwi

By dave. on Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 01:25 am:

black country woman?

By dave. on Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 01:27 am:

i found it weeping in the field?

By dave. on Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 01:28 am:

that will be 49¢?

By Nate on Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 01:29 am:

stairway, dude. stairway.

By dave. on Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 01:30 am:

nailed to the blank spot?

By dave. on Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 01:31 am:

lynda's pregnancy test?

By dave. on Saturday, August 24, 2002 - 01:32 am:

oh.

By Luiz on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 09:44 pm:

Does anyone know where I can locate some cassette tapes of Jango Rheinhardt?

By agatha on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 10:08 pm:

Cassette tapes? What are these "cassette tapes" you speak of?

By Nate of Peter on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 12:44 am:

i think it some kina drug talk. them kids these days and their drug talk.

luiz, buddy. DJANGO.

as in jean baptiste.

and then REINHARDT.

that might help you.

and if it doesn't, go fuck yourself buddy. see if anyone else hands you a freebie like that.

By Luiz on Wednesday, December 15, 2004 - 11:29 pm:

Wow! My first visit to this forum. You're a bunch of weirdos. Sorry to have disturbed your DTs.

By Nate on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 01:18 am:

uh, dude. the acronym for deep anal penetration is DAP.

By patrick on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 04:00 pm:

my DTs?

my deep tissues?

my dangled testes?

my damp tents?

my dang tires?

my double trouble?

By Nate on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 04:13 pm:

damp tents.

draperies tartar

By semillama on Thursday, December 16, 2004 - 05:03 pm:

descended testicles

destroyed Tonkas

dank turrets

dork tower

dog twirlers

bbs.sorabji.com

The Stalking Post: General goddam chit-chat Every 3 seconds: Sex . Can men and women just be friends? . Dreamland . Insomnia . Are you stoned? . What are you eating? I need advice: Can you help? . Reasons to be cheerful . Days and nights . Words . Are there any news? Wishful thinking: Have you ever... . I wish you were... . Why I oughta... Is it art?: This question seems to come up quite often around here. Weeds: Things that, if erased from our cultural memory forever, would be no great loss Surfwatch: Where did you go on the 'net today? What are you listening to?: Worst music you've ever heard . What song or tune is going through your head right now? . Obscure composers . Obscure Jazz, 1890-1950 . Whatever, whenever General Questions: Do you have any regrets? . Who are you? . Where are you? . What are you doing here? . What have you done? . Why did you do it? . What have you failed to do? . What are you wearing? . What do you want? . How do you do? . What do you want to do today? . Are you stupid? Specific Questions: What is the cruelest thing you ever did? . Have you ever been lonely? . Have you ever gone hungry? . Are you pissed off? . When is the last time you had sex? . What does it look like where you are? . What are you afraid of? . Do you love me? . What is your definition of Heaven? . What is your definition of Hell? Movies: Last movie you saw . Worst movie you ever saw . Best movie you ever saw Reading: Best book you've ever read . Worst book you've ever read . Last book you read Drunken ramblings: uiphgy8 hxbjf.bklf ghw789- bncgjkvhnqwb=8[ . Payphones: Payphone Project BBS

sorabji.com . torturechamber . px.sorabji.com . receipts . contact